Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 9:22:43 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me anything about Colorado Bend? My fiancé and I got invited by a group of friends to go tent camp in early December. From what I can tell and by my Texas travel book, it seems like a fairly desolate and quiet park. Ya know, the kind that would be the setting of a horror movie when 3 young couples take off to for some adventure

I'm ok with off the beaten path and love the hill country.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Only about 40  min from  my home place. You'll enjoy it if you like to hike/ swim & fish. It's very pretty and the drive is awesome. Stop at M&M meat market in Lampasas for snacks and great excellent meat for the camp out,and eat at Pepper Bellys in San Saba on the way out. Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only about 40  min from  my home place. You'll enjoy it if you like to hike/ swim & fish. It's very pretty and the drive is awesome. Stop at M&M meat market in Lampasas for snacks and great excellent meat for the camp out,and eat at Pepper Bellys in San Saba on the way out. Just my .02 cents.
View Quote

This, also you might want to call ahead to make sure the park isn't full, probably not this time of the year though. There are also two other private fishing camps just downstream from the state park that have RV and primitive camping, Barefoot and Sulpher Springs,they are nice places too, but they might be closed during the winter months.

I prefer Barefoot over the state park, spent many weekends on the river there at all three. Bring some fishing gear and trot lines,there are some good size yellow cats in that stretch of river.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't been in a few years.
It has primitive camping.

The shower was a pipe coming out of the ground with a shower head on it.
It was right next to the parking lot.

Eta. Restroom was a port a can.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Barefoot and Sulpher Springs both have enclosed bathrooms with showers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a well known and a little out of the way, it's a nice quiet place with some beautiful country.  I go to the fish camp a lot when the white bass are running, this time of year is should be pretty much deserted.

You'll like it.  Make sure to pack everything you need, a quick run to the store is a bit of a problem.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a well known and a little out of the way, it's a nice quiet place with some beautiful country.  I go to the fish camp a lot when the white bass are running, this time of year is should be pretty much deserted.

You'll like it.  Make sure to pack everything you need, a quick run to the store is a bit of a problem.
View Quote

My property is between Chapel & Cherokee.
It's close driving Co. Rds.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
It's been a few years since I was there, and as described, it's primitive, but beautiful. That's part of what makes it so nice. I didn't get a chance to check out the falls when I went, but did spend some time hiking up that way. Pack blankets, food, water, and a sidearm for any pesky cougars.

Edit to add: and toilet paper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top