Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2016 9:09:22 PM EDT
Getting my fireamrs straight and going to get into some 3 gun. Looking for advice, and places to go.

Fossil Pointe says they do 3 gun every other Sat. so that is one place that is close by.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of DFW are you in? You mention fossil pointe, so I assume you are in the western part ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of DFW are you in? You mention fossil pointe, so I assume you are in the western part ?
View Quote

Denton area
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Getting my fireamrs straight and going to get into some 3 gun. Looking for advice, and places to go.

Fossil Pointe says they do 3 gun every other Sat. so that is one place that is close by.
View Quote

2gun in Sanger at NTSA

hybrid matches in Argyle at Proactive Defense

3gun match with .22lr carbine in Carrollton at Dallas Pistol Club

ETTS in Maypearl, Triple C in Cresson, and Double Tap Ranch in Wichita Falls are your other good local 3gun matches

what equipment and gear do you already have?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

2gun in Sanger at NTSA

ETTS in Maypearl, Triple C in Cresson, and Double Tap Ranch in Wichita Falls are your other good local 3gun matches

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2gun in Sanger at NTSA

Got the Shotty, but need an 18" bbl and mag tube, probably going to pick up a new stock this weekend.
Picking up a M&P CORE this week also.

as for the rifle, it may be about a month, but will more than likely be a Bushy 16" A4.

If they run the .22lr I may be able to compete before I get the 5.56.  

Have the optics, except for the M&P. I will more than likely run a vortex Venom.

As for gear, I am not going to buy much until I figure out what I need.
I have a buddy who owns TAC Gear, and one that is head of sales for High Speed Gear.

I want to watch a few matches before I get in the middle of this.
It would be kinda cool to have an experienced player to ask questions.

ETA: I do have a few days to decide on a 9mm. I really thought about going with a RIA 1911 in 9mm and building it up as I go. BUT, will the 9 +1 be an issue other than maybe learning to reload faster than the rest?
I am very comfy and confident when using my carry 1911, and muscle memory will lessen the frustration of getting beat on
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out NorthTexasMultiGun.

Very informative and has schedules locally.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, I'm interested in this as well....
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Got the Shotty, but need an 18" bbl and mag tube, probably going to pick up a new stock this weekend.

as for the rifle, it may be about a month, but will more than likely be a Bushy 16" A4.

Have the optics, except for the M&P. I will more than likely run a vortex Venom.

I have a buddy who owns TAC Gear, and one that is head of sales for High Speed Gear.

ETA: I do have a few days to decide on a 9mm. I really thought about going with a RIA 1911 in 9mm and building it up as I go. BUT, will the 9 +1 be an issue other than maybe learning to reload faster than the rest?
I am very comfy and confident when using my carry 1911, and muscle memory will lessen the frustration of getting beat on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2gun in Sanger at NTSA

Why do you need an 18" barrel? In 3 gun we use between 21"-26" barrels, I use a 24" barrel with a 15 rds tube on it. If your shotgun is 28" or less, just put a mag tube to get you to 12 rds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why do you need an 18" barrel? In 3 gun we use between 21"-26" barrels, I use a 24" barrel with a 15 rds tube on it. If your shotgun is 28" or less, just put a mag tube to get you to 12 rds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2gun in Sanger at NTSA

My 930 is a 28"....that sumbitch is a handful to toss around

I went over to Riflegear to pick up a CORE 5" M&P in 9mm, and get the Mesa Stock they had in.
Left empty handed thanks to the NCIS delaying me ....

Never been delayed.....ever.....Hopefully it will be sorted out before Sat..

I looked .....LOOKED at an STI....nope! Mucho dinero. Looked a a few 9mm 1911......nope...Stuck with the M&P, That thing is pretty sweet except got the high quality trigger they put in it....

Guess what I am shopping for now
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I went over to Riflegear to pick up a CORE 5" M&P in 9mm, and get the Mesa Stock they had in.

I looked .....LOOKED at an STI....nope! Mucho dinero. Looked a a few 9mm 1911......nope...Stuck with the M&P, That thing is pretty sweet except got the high quality trigger they put in it....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2gun in Sanger at NTSA

Nothing wrong with an M&P for 3 gun, get some extended base pads and a good from sight and it's ready to rock and roll. Mossberg barrels are pretty reasonable, pick up a 24-26". Get a good holster like a Safariland QMS, retention is nice don't want to drop your gun at your first match, GT Dist, has them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I plan on setting a Vortex Razor or Viper on it. That is the only reason I went with the CORE vs a Pro.
God damned $1K in a plastic gun...... LOL Guess I cant really say much got $800 in a carry Kimber

Now I gotta wait on my quarterly bonus ( 2-3 weeks I think)  to get the 5.56....thats perfect, 'cause I dont really know what I want.

We can talk about that, as it took me that long to decide on a pistol..

As for a holster, I will run  a TAK gear as my buddy owns that place.

Gear wise, I will call my friend in NC, she is the Sales lead over at HSGI
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Well.....I went on Thursday to get the M&P. Got delayed. Called Friday, still delayed....WTF?

Called Sat, about 1530.....still delayed.....Fuck that noise! Void that 4473 out, i'll be down there in 30 min. We're gonna do this again.

Got there about 1630, Was outta there at 1730 with the pistol. I was NOT going to wait until the 19th because the ATF sux!

So now I have the pistol, and gotta find a deal on a Vortex Viper or Venom and I am not sure if I need a 3 moa or 6 moa.
6 MOA makes more sense for a pistol, for 3 gun and IDPA......but the 3 MOA is sticking in my head for some reason. I never ignore that "sticking".

Any comments on that?

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well.....I went on Thursday to get the M&P. Got delayed. Called Friday, still delayed....WTF?

Called Sat, about 1530.....still delayed.....Fuck that noise! Void that 4473 out, i'll be down there in 30 min. We're gonna do this again.

Got there about 1630, Was outta there at 1730 with the pistol. I was NOT going to wait until the 19th because the ATF sux!

So now I have the pistol, and gotta find a deal on a Vortex Viper or Venom and I am not sure if I need a 3 moa or 6 moa.
6 MOA makes more sense for a pistol, for 3 gun and IDPA......but the 3 MOA is sticking in my head for some reason. I never ignore that "sticking".

Any comments on that?

View Quote

You know optics on a pistol moves you to open.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any comments on that?

I do now...

I sent about 150 or so rounds down range today... I really like this pistol.

So much som I see my Ultra Carry II going bye bye.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I do now...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any comments on that?

I do now...

My carry gun is a M&P full size, I also have a 5" Pro I shoot in production. I have thought of using it for 3 gun, at least no safety to forget.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#15]
How do you like carrying the FS M&P....I'm really looking a tthe 4.25" as an EDC
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How do you like carrying the FS M&P....I'm really looking a tthe 4.25" as an EDC
View Quote

I have never liked tiny guns, the full size M&P fits my hand great, isn't too heavy. I have a couple different holsters for it, most comfortable is my Alien Gear.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Ordered the Vortex Viper....Should be here tomorrow.

Looks like I sold my Kimber, so now I gotta find a 4.25" CORE....this will be my EDC.
So, hopefully in the next few weeks, I will probably mount a Deltapoint on the 4.25".

The Apex stuff will have to wait a while, and the 5.56 will be bought once my quarterly bonus comes in.

I would say 6 weeks and I will have what I need for 3 gun.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I second North Texas Multigun.  The match director puts on some very fun matches and the range has an awesome mix of natural terrain and bay stages.  ETTS also has a good monthly 3 gun match with a good crew behind it.  The annual Walking Dead multigun night match is coming up in a couple of weeks at the Cresson range and is always a fun time.  There will most likely be at least 4 major 3 gun matches at this Cresson range for 2017 so its a good place to get accustomed with.

For 3 gun (and everything else), Texas is the best state in the country.  From a major match standpoint, TX has a shotgun championship, 3GN Regional, Xtreme TX 3 gun championship, Wild West Multigun (Chris Kyle match), Vortex Optics Shooter Source 3 gun championship, Starlight 3 gun championship, Fallen Brethren, Walking Dead Multigun, and there may be a few more that I missed or that may be coming to TX for 2017 that haven't been announced yet.

Nick
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm gonna tag into this thread as well, I was looking at starting in 3gun myself and there's not a lot of readily available info on what's available near DFW that I could find. Only ones I saw were Cresson and ETTS, with ETTS being closer to me. I know ETTS is a private range, but how do they operate for matches, open to public with registration? They sure don't advertise it if that's the case.

North Texas Multigun's website is more accessible for sure, and I've traded a couple emails with the match director regarding gear questions, but last month's match got canceled, so I haven't had a chance to observe/participate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm gonna tag into this thread as well, I was looking at starting in 3gun myself and there's not a lot of readily available info on what's available near DFW that I could find. Only ones I saw were Cresson and ETTS, with ETTS being closer to me. I know ETTS is a private range, but how do they operate for matches, open to public with registration? They sure don't advertise it if that's the case.

North Texas Multigun's website is more accessible for sure, and I've traded a couple emails with the match director regarding gear questions, but last month's match got canceled, so I haven't had a chance to observe/participate.
View Quote

both advertise their matches on Facebook, and you can preregister with PractiScore
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#21]
and if you are going to get on Facebook, then you might as well look at North Texas Lead Farmers as well
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:both advertise their matches on Facebook, and you can preregister with PractiScore
View Quote

I guess that would explain it, I got rid of facebook several years ago and haven't looked back. Seems kinda ironic to me that their chosen method of promotion is on a website as terrible as that, but then again I do understand the reasoning. Still, I wish there were more information available outside FB as I have no desire to spend time on that site. I'll have to see what I can find on their pages without signing up. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I guess that would explain it, I got rid of facebook several years ago and haven't looked back. Seems kinda ironic to me that their chosen method of promotion is on a website as terrible as that, but then again I do understand the reasoning. Still, I wish there were more information available outside FB as I have no desire to spend time on that site. I'll have to see what I can find on their pages without signing up. Thanks for the heads up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:both advertise their matches on Facebook, and you can preregister with PractiScore

If you want to find out about matches in Texas, sign up for TXIPSC. It's run by a local shooter on his own server.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#24]

I joined a range/Training school.

Proactive Defense

They are on the same property as Quail Creek. I went over to zero in the Vortex.....which was a complete and utter failure, HOWEVER......, I got the fouled up 3 dots squared away. SO the trip was not a total loss.

I have been over to Quail Creek a few times and always hear shooting behind the proshop, so I asked WTF?

"Tactical range, for $35 an hour you can do that."......well.....shit....lets go check it out!

It was not $35 and hr, and the guy I spoke to was really cool. After discussing with him I needed a place to train for 3 gun and IDPA, he sells me a membership.
Probably the closest place at a reasonable rate.  Not to mention I can actually train from the holster (I am OK, but want better), can rapid fire, move and shoot etc..
To top it off, they have some pretty damned good training classes at very good rates ( much cheaper than most of the places within 50 miles).  

Being a member, think I get some free "''hey, your screwing up, lemme show ya somthin'"

I will have to strap on the body cam for the hilarity.

As for the Vortex, I *thought* I was all out of elevation....nope! There are two locking screws and the elavation and windage screws....I did not loosen the locking ones.
Had to take the unit off the pistol to get to them....so that is my excuse
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I guess that would explain it, I got rid of Facebook several years ago and haven't looked back. Seems kinda ironic to me that their chosen method of promotion is on a website as terrible as that, but then again I do understand the reasoning. Still, I wish there were more information available outside FB as I have no desire to spend time on that site. I'll have to see what I can find on their pages without signing up. Thanks for the heads up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guess that would explain it, I got rid of Facebook several years ago and haven't looked back. Seems kinda ironic to me that their chosen method of promotion is on a website as terrible as that, but then again I do understand the reasoning. Still, I wish there were more information available outside FB as I have no desire to spend time on that site. I'll have to see what I can find on their pages without signing up. Thanks for the heads up.

yes, you may be able to view the various FB pages without having to register an account...
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I joined a range/Training school.

Proactive Defense

They are on the same property as Quail Creek. I went over to zero in the Vortex.....which was a complete and utter failure, HOWEVER......, I got the fouled up 3 dots squared away. SO the trip was not a total loss.

I have been over to Quail Creek a few times and always hear shooting behind the proshop, so I asked WTF?

"Tactical range, for $35 an hour you can do that."......well.....shit....lets go check it out!

It was not $35 and hr, and the guy I spoke to was really cool. After discussing with him I needed a place to train for 3 gun and IDPA, he sells me a membership.
Probably the closest place at a reasonable rate.  Not to mention I can actually train from the holster (I am OK, but want better), can rapid fire, move and shoot etc..
To top it off, they have some pretty damned good training classes at very good rates ( much cheaper than most of the places within 50 miles).  

Being a member, think I get some free "''hey, your screwing up, lemme show ya somthin'"

I will have to strap on the body cam for the hilarity.

As for the Vortex, I *thought* I was all out of elevation....nope! There are two locking screws and the elavation and windage screws....I did not loosen the locking ones.
Had to take the unit off the pistol to get to them....so that is my excuse
View Quote

Proactive is a neat place, we shoot up there once a month for the NTLF uspsa match.

I also did not know Fossil Pointe has been doing 3 gun, I'm going to have words with Shaun for not informing me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#27]
All I can say it WOW!

First day at the place, and I am thoroughly glad I spent the $ to join.

I will say, I am a decent shot. 8" target catches hell from me. Anywhere from 7-25 yards. After 2 17 round mags, it looks like a shotgun hit it, but they are all in the circle.

Well, after some training today, I have got that down to a 4" circle at 7 to 10 yards, including a fairly rapid fire. I am VERY pleased with what that did to me.

There were so many little things I was doing that were not correct, and I had no idea.

Close to the end of the day, I was pretty much keeping a 1" MOA, with 25% flyers.

Here is the funny thing, The new 4.25" M&P I bought yesterday, is the first sidearm I will NOT have to drift the rear site. That is one out of...mmmmmm, say 50 or so pistols I have bought over my adult life.
I am NOT a disappoint.  

Going back tomorrow for either a full blown class or a steel target match. Both start at 10 am. I have until then to decide.

I am pretty damned stoked.

The RDS is outstanding too...although, I am going to have to replace the sights on both, and they both will need some trigger work.

One of the guys schooling me was nice enough to let me shoot his CZ..... I kept a 1" group with that for both mags. No flyers.

wooohooo!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top