Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2016 4:07:12 PM EDT
Ok, going on a 1 year anniversary trip to Port Aransas with my GF in October, we went with her family in July and went on the Red Dragon pirate ship...that was more than enough arrrg's and aye ayes for one lifetime so I'm looking for other things to do on this trip since it'll just be us this time.

Thinking about grilling on the beach at least once, anyone have a favorite place for fresh seafood? Are the dolphin or fishing cruises worth the money? Any great places to eat that are also somewhat budget friendly? What about gun shops in the area?

We'll probably go to the USS Lexington on the way so suggestions in Corpus Christi are welcome too. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The Dolphin Connection is THE best dolphin tour.  Small boat and the dolphins come right up to the boat.  Daughter got to touch several.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Aquarium is always a wonder to see.  Fishing is starting to be good as blue water is coming in...and kingfish, mackerels, tarpon follow.  Last two weeks of September and most of October...the fishing is awesome.  Redfish will be schooling up for breeding and hit anything close.   40+ kings on the jetties.  Occasional Ling/Cobia as well.  Tourist fishing boats will usually get customers on fish.  Various lengths and prices.  Club scene in Port A is great.  
Enjoy
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
We'll definitely be going on the dolphin cruise, thanks for the info so far!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Shells is amazing food. Tiny place, go at lunch, Jays Seafood is solid too.

Small hardware store has a small gun section. Nothing crazy, but good people. Don't remember the name.  Closer to the ferry on the main drag. Small red storefront.?

Wintons candy is worth a stop every time.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:39:25 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no gun shop as such, there was one in Aransas Pass but it's been a couple of years. Prices were nuts. There is a small mom and pop gunship in Rockport, nice people but not a whole lot in the store.

Jays for seafood, without fail hit the candy shop.

Take the jetty boat over to San Jose Island, no crowds or cars on the beach, it's only accessible by  water.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Caribbean storms have pushed water up into the dunes.   should be normal saturday
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Shells is always good (but pricey).
Castaways is a little more lowbrow, but I like it.

the local bars have character.

I take the family every October.  Going to try and catch some reds in rockport this year.

My favorite thing to do there?  Damned near nothing.  Ice chest, beach, chair, shade, watch kids playing in the surf.  If I'm feeling really plucky I'll throw the football at my son.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The Back Porch Bar next to Woody's Sport Center is a cool place to hang out at sunset.

LaPlaya has outstanding Mexican food !! Folks that run it also own Mexican restaurants in Houston
and really know what they are doing. Amazing margaritas too !! We always go there.

If you have a 4x4 drive all the way down the Padre Island National Seashore.
Or at least part way down, set up a day camp and fish/play in surf. Very remote so plan accordingly !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top