Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/2/2016 2:55:45 PM EDT
I like forests and mountains more than desert or beaches. I know you don't have mountains like the Rocky's, but I hear the hill country is nice.

I'll be bringing guns and ammo
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I like forests and mountains more than desert or beaches. I know you don't have mountains like the Rocky's, but I hear the hill country is nice.

I'll be bringing guns and ammo
View Quote

I live in TX.. The hill country is dry and still the desert, with hills.  You wont mistake it for mountains.

If you like forests and water, look in far east TX on the border with Louisiana.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Outside of the large cities there is no place I've found in
Texas where I wouldn't live.  I love this state.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Alpine
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alpine
View Quote

One of these days!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Coastal areas=mosquitoes that feel like somebody is sand blasting your skin.  If you buy definitely look at an elevation certificate in relation to the rate of your flood insurance rates.
West Texas=desert/dry.
Hill country=sort of like the Black Hills only drier and minus the trees.  They do have mesquite trees with sharp needles that will make an ATV tire look like a porcupine.
East Texas=pine trees and the area sort of reminds me of Ft. Benning, GA.  Ticks just like up north.

If you like a variety of foods I think that Houston is pretty hard to beat in the state for variety of fare.  A bit north and east of Houston and you have forest starting.  You are near the salt water and the fishing is great as you may know what you are fishing for and have an idea of what you are going to catch but you never know what will end up on the hook.  Lots of feral hogs if you get on a hunting lease.  If it snows in Houston it is normally gone by noon the same day.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably Corpus so I can fish all I want. Plus I'm a couple hours from the family ranch so shooty shooty!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of these days!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alpine

One of these days!

mountain top, snow, alpine weather cycles, hot college hotness, wide open ranges..

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

mountain top, snow, alpine weather cycles, hot college hotness, wide open ranges..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alpine

One of these days!

You left out close access to Big Bend NP
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a gulf coast refugee who moved to the hill country when I retired. I got fed up with hurricanes, humidity, mosquitos, pine trees, people, & traffic, so I traded all that for peace& quiet, gun range 2 miles away that costs $40. @ year, a back yard that doubles as a game reserve, and friends that will back you up to the end of the world. Sorry, we're full though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Lago Vista (Hill Country)
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in the burbs north of Dallas, which is about as good as it gets for me since I'm still working and need to be close to a major airport.  However, Nacogdoches looks pretty awesome.  Good foliage and climate.  College town so decent restaurants but nothing too fancy.  Probably no shortage of beer.  And close to CSAT, Paul Howe's place.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in Amarillo. Middle of the panhandle. May not seem like much, but we are in a location where lots of other things are available. Of course, driving is required  5-6 hrs to DFW, 4 hrs to OKC. 5 hrs to ABQ and Santa Fe. 5 hrs to the Rocky mountains. Gambling in NM and OK and CO. 5 hrs to Ruidoso NM. Locally, public hunting at Lake Meredith National Recreation area and Rita Blanca National Grasslands. Palo Duro Canyon is close. Topography is pretty flat unless you're in the drainages for several of the rivers, wide open spaces otherwise. Lots of small, small towns if that is an interest.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I would love a small place in west Texas

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I live in Amarillo. Middle of the panhandle. May not seem like much, but we are in a location where lots of other things are available. Of course, driving is required  5-6 hrs to DFW, 4 hrs to OKC. 5 hrs to ABQ and Santa Fe. 5 hrs to the Rocky mountains. Gambling in NM and OK and CO. 5 hrs to Ruidoso NM. Locally, public hunting at Lake Meredith National Recreation area and Rita Blanca National Grasslands. Palo Duro Canyon is close. Topography is pretty flat unless you're in the drainages for several of the rivers, wide open spaces otherwise. Lots of small, small towns if that is an interest.
View Quote

The only negative I can think of is you still get snow up there.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Not New Braunfels
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Alpine
View Quote

Fort Davis.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alpine

One of these days!

Place to RETIRE.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lago Vista (Hill Country)
View Quote

This, although it's not as good as it was 10 years ago when we built.  It's grown too much. The wife wants to move out towards Brady.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Somewhere other than texas.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Preferably this.

But if you must, Dripping Springs / Wimberley / Driftwood.  Alternatively, north of Lake Travis, Lago etc.  Georgetown is also nice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#21]
On the side of Lake Texoma.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks everyone, now I'll do a little research.

College towns are off limits for retirees? Just because there's a little snow on the roof doesn't mean there isn't a fire in the furnace. There is no fool like an old fool...................
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
JOT 'EM DOWN, TEXAS
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd head somewhere east.

Draw a triangle between Houston, Austin, and San Antonio, and I'll be somewhere in that triangle when I retire. Lots of pretty land out there, just not much job opportunity compared to what you can get in a city.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Hill Country, Highland Lakes area specifically.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone, now I'll do a little research.

College towns are off limits for retirees? Just because there's a little snow on the roof doesn't mean there isn't a fire in the furnace. There is no fool like an old fool...................
View Quote

College towns aren't off limits but do you want to be the creepy old guy going to the bars & buying drinks for the cute college girls?  I understand it is Alpine but I doubt that many would want to date an old fart but to each their own.  Just mentioning the inclination to date a woman half my age freaks out all the women I know.  But then again, I'm turning into an old fool.

I'm sure there are plenty of young Mexican hotties that would love to have you as their sugar daddy - you just have to modify the catch & release policies.

Happy Retirement!
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Really anywhere, but I prefer Central or South Texas.

Further West, San Angelo is nice. My son went to college there and we always enjoyed our visits to San Angelo.

If we decide to exit the DFW area when I retire we will move to the TX Coast or somewhere in Central TX.
I have family in the Lampasas area so maybe somewhere around there or San Saba?

I fear due to our kids and grandkids living in North TX that I may be stuck up here.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Preferably this.

But if you must, Dripping Springs / Wimberley / Driftwood.  Alternatively, north of Lake Travis, Lago etc.  Georgetown is also nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Preferably this.

We are full

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Really anywhere, but I prefer Central or South Texas.

Further West, San Angelo is nice. My son went to college there and we always enjoyed our visits to San Angelo.

If we decide to exit the DFW area when I retire we will move to the TX Coast or somewhere in Central TX.
I have family in the Lampasas area so maybe somewhere around there or San Saba?

I fear due to our kids and grandkids living in North TX that I may be stuck up here.....
View Quote

San Angelo has become a retirement town recently.    It has around 100k in pop.   Good selection of housing that is not to expensive.  a very good healthcare system and most any kind of store you would need to visit.

It's only issue is it is where the desert starts.  You still get some green but it's not as lush as central or east Texas.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fort Davis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alpine

Fort Davis.

Fort Davis area is very cool....like something out of a John Wayne movie!
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#31]
On the lake or 300 acres to myself.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Lubbock. Close to NM and CO. Dry, no humidity. Excellent healthcare. Easy cost of living. All the amenities you need.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

For me as well.  I'd love a small place in San Angelo.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Im sorry but the only thing the panhandle has going for it is the low humidity and quail. I just spent two months there and the only thing there is wind.

With that said, I enjoyed working out there because 95 degrees is actually 92 degrees. Here in east Texas, 95 degrees means 105 degrees.  Also hearing bobwhite quail and seeing a covey of 30-40 run across a football field as the sun is coming up is a nice view.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:07:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I grew up in San Antonio and it was/is too effing hot and humid more than half the year. I never want to go back. I moved up to Dallas and it is only too hot for about 2-3 months, but the terrain really sucks up in north Texas (flat and featureless). Honestly if it wasn't for Texas' conservatisism and needing to near an airport hub, I would probably move to the forrested mountains way up north in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming or Utah.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#36]
At least another hour and a half east from here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I grew up in San Antonio and it was/is too effing hot and humid more than half the year. I never want to go back. I moved up to Dallas and it is only too hot for about 2-3 months, but the terrain really sucks up in north Texas (flat and featureless). Honestly if it wasn't for Texas' conservatisism and needing to near an airport hub, I would probably move to the forrested mountains way up north in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming or Utah.
View Quote

I love western Montana, western Wyoming and the northern half of Idaho, but not the months of November through April there. Having spent the last 60 years in Michigan I can say with some certainty that I will never miss the snow. For those unfamiliar with lake effect snow, it causes white outs where the highway completely disappears while driving. US-131 west to the Michigan Lake shore starts getting snow in November and it doesn't let up until April. Two feet on the ground is common.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#38]
If it were just me and not the family I would get a piece of property on the Canadian river in the western Panhandle.  Sadly my family doesn't do well in the cold so I will be stuck in south Texas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sa Angelo for me also.  My youngest son and daughter live there.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh by the way they have a good member owned  range for $125 a year.  That gets you 24/7 access.. They are building a range for f class shooting.  They also have several tactical bays for drawing from holster and rapid fire.  Very NFA friendly too.

The only real bad things about the range is their upgrades to the range is taking a long time and they only have one bay for full auto.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#41]
I grew up in Texas.  I moved to Colorado when I was 27 and had to move back to Texas two years ago (17 years in Colorado).  Texas weather is sweltering hot in most areas and extremely hot and dry in parts of west Texas and the panhandle.  Also, Property taxes, home insurance,  and sales taxes are high in much of Texas.  Where I am located, I pay 4 times as much in property taxes as I did in Colorado.  Property insurance is 2-3 times more expensive for less coverage and higher deductibles.  I found a questionable insurance company to cover my home that is only costing me 1.5 times what I was paying in Colorado with twice the deductible. To add insult to injury, all that money going to schools that are not any better (actually worse) than we had in Colorado.  Most districts in Texas are and have been asking for more money. They want to raise property taxes even more!  When considering high property taxes and high property insurance,  Texas' "low" housing costs are not low.  I am sure lower cost areas do exist in Texas, just not where I have to live in south Texas.

In retirement, I would want to live somewhere with four seasons and with low humidity.  I enjoy living outdoors and like weather that encourages hiking, mountain biking, hunting, camping, and just being outside.  IMO, Texas does not provide this environment. I enjoy being near family again but I will move back to the mountain west when the time is right. If you enjoy hot weather almost all year or you live a sedentary indoor lifestyle, Texas might be wonderful for you.  We do have great food with a lot of restaurants and a lot of air conditioned movie theaters.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Alpine
View Quote

Yup.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I would stay within 20 miles or so of my current home. Moving far away creates a gap with those close to you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fort Davis.
View Quote

Came to post this
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#45]
If I was loaded - Bandera County

If I am middle class - Bullard, or Nacogdoches

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Snippet from the movie "Bernie"

For the record, I'm from Carthage..grew up there and work there, but currently live in Nacogdoches.

This may give you an idea of our great state

Not that I'm saying Carthage is a place to retire too. Housing market is high for the small town. Predominantly an oil/gas town. As of right now, property taxes are going up in that town due to the loss of revenue from oil/gas companies and they need to fill the $4 million deficit, without laying off city workers - who most are family of other city workers.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread got me thinking about retirement now.  I'm 41 and can retire in 9 years.  The wife can work anywhere that has an internet connection.  The company she works for transitioned her position to "work form home". Win!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I am retired and I like it right here in New Braunfels
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Alpine.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Marble Falls...
Enough said
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top