Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 9:35:22 PM EDT
Was just reading a thread in GD for suggestions for chest holsters for backpacking and looking at the pictures, these are almost identical to shoulder holsters with the exception the holster placement is moved from the side to center mass.  Understanding the current LTC laws on the books, do you think this would hold up in court when an overzealous LEO decides to charge?  Along those lines, couldn't you legally attached a belt holster to chest rigging and still be legal?  I'm not wanting to be the first test case but am interested if this would ever matter.

Has anyone tried this or thinking about doing it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Not an attorney, but I would think if it has straps like a backpack, regardless of placement of the pistol it's a shoulder holster in my eyes.   I wouldn't bat an eye at you if I was working.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Was just reading a thread in GD for suggestions for chest holsters for backpacking and looking at the pictures, these are almost identical to shoulder holsters with the exception the holster placement is moved from the side to center mass.  Understanding the current LTC laws on the books, do you think this would hold up in court when an overzealous LEO decides to charge?  Along those lines, couldn't you legally attached a belt holster to chest rigging and still be legal?  I'm not wanting to be the first test case but am interested if this would ever matter.

Has anyone tried this or thinking about doing it?
View Quote

First, I'm not a lawyer and you should really be discussing this with someone licensed to practice law in the state of Texas.

If your legal defense fund is large enough and you don't mind spending many weeks in legal proceedings, you could probably beat the LEO and DA in court if you were charged and prosecuted.  The real question is who would charge you and why.

Open carry is pretty easy to define by the lay person in the jury so, the real question is why would it go that far?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#3]
It costs money, like $4-5k, to bring a Class A misdemeanor - or low level felony to jury trial in most parts of Texas.  Prosecutors live and die by their conviction rates.  This is the main reason behind the phrase "You'll beat the rap, but not the ride."

So, the real issue is how to best avoid the ride.  I do not know one single cop who is looking to screw up good, law-abiding folks.  There are enough criminals out there for them to stay busy with... they just do not have time to harass some hiker with a holster that might be on the verge of legality.  Best chances are, even if the cop was being a jerk, he would tell you to carry it another way, or just conceal it in the backpack if your holster is not proper long before he will slap the cuffs on you and haul you in.

As far as OC, I have heard one cop say that "If the holster is between the neck and the knee, it is good to go."  

If you are that worried about it, find a way to put a proper belt holster in, on, through, or over your backpack waist pad.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It costs money, like $4-5k, to bring a Class A misdemeanor - or low level felony to jury trial in most parts of Texas.  Prosecutors live and die by their conviction rates.  This is the main reason behind the phrase "You'll beat the rap, but not the ride."

So, the real issue is how to best avoid the ride.  I do not know one single cop who is looking to screw up good, law-abiding folks.  There are enough criminals out there for them to stay busy with... they just do not have time to harass some hiker with a holster that might be on the verge of legality.  Best chances are, even if the cop was being a jerk, he would tell you to carry it another way, or just conceal it in the backpack if your holster is not proper long before he will slap the cuffs on you and haul you in.

As far as OC, I have heard one cop say that "If the holster is between the neck and the knee, it is good to go."  

If you are that worried about it, find a way to put a proper belt holster in, on, through, or over your backpack waist pad.
View Quote

I'm asking because how the spirit of the law is being interpreted by some departments.  Didn't DPS come out and state a drop leg holster would be illegal?  Wonder how they'd treat the six shooter rigs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
This has been my argument since the whole thing started with open carry and needing to be in a belt holster or shoulder holster.  Admittedly, it was mostly in jest, but in reality there are no definitions of shoulder holster or belt holster.  Here's what I currently use (albeit up here in Alaska), it's configurable to go over one or both shoulders.  Why it wouldn't be a shoulder holster...because it doesn't ride under the shoulder?  Too in your face?  Who knows.  People here don't give a shit, walk by like it's not even there for the most part.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This has been my argument since the whole thing started with open carry and needing to be in a belt holster or shoulder holster.  Admittedly, it was mostly in jest, but in reality there are no definitions of shoulder holster or belt holster.  Here's what I currently use (albeit up here in Alaska), it's configurable to go over one or both shoulders.  Why it wouldn't be a shoulder holster...because it doesn't ride under the shoulder?  Too in your face?  Who knows.  People here don't give a shit, walk by like it's not even there for the most part.

http://2aholster.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Horizontal-Carry-940x714.jpg
View Quote

Straps over the shoulder, check.  Look alike a shoulder holster to me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
.... Didn't DPS come out and state a drop leg holster would be illegal?  Wonder how they'd treat the six shooter rigs.
View Quote

Every drop leg holster I've seen has an attachment point at the belt.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... Didn't DPS come out and state a drop leg holster would be illegal?  Wonder how they'd treat the six shooter rigs.

I have a few so I know what they are, I'm just remembering reading at the beginning of the year that different departments were taking different positions since the law is vague in defining what constitutes a belt & shoulder holster.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have a few so I know what they are, I'm just remembering reading at the beginning of the year that different departments were taking different positions since the law is vague in defining what constitutes a belt & shoulder holster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Update for 2017:  Change "must be carried in a shoulder or a belt holster" to "must be carried in a holster."

Then, add a definition of a holster... "For the purposes of this section, a holster is defined as: Anything."

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm asking because how the spirit of the law is being interpreted by some departments.  Didn't DPS come out and state a drop leg holster would be illegal?  Wonder how they'd treat the six shooter rigs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, DPS determined that IF it is attached to the belt they consider it a belt holster.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Update for 2017:  Change "must be carried in a shoulder or a belt holster" to "must be carried in a holster."

Then, add a definition of a holster... "For the purposes of this section, a holster is defined as: Anything."

Problem solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem solved.

How about just remove the requirement for a holster period? As long as the person is legally allowed to carry a firearm I dont give a rats ass how they do it.

Defining a "holster" as "anything" is confusing and unnecessary. Any dictionary will give you a definition of what a holster is. The last thing we need is our elected nitwits rewriting the damn dictionary.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How about just remove the requirement for a holster period? As long as the person is legally allowed to carry a firearm I dont give a rats ass how they do it.

Defining a "holster" as "anything" is confusing and unnecessary. Any dictionary will give you a definition of what a holster is. The last thing we need is our elected nitwits rewriting the damn dictionary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem solved.

Agreed.  No holster requirement for carrying concealed but required for OC.  You get yourself into a grey area in instances such as Mexican Carry.

Back on topic, looking at the picture above, these chest holsters look like a very good option when driving/riding.  Anyone every do this?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]
They work out perfect when driving, the seat belt rides across the center of the holster, leaving the grip easily accessible should you need to draw.  Currently mine is configured at about a 45 degree cant (muzzle towards ground), but you can change it up to your preference (up, down, or straight to the side).
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They work out perfect when driving, the seat belt rides across the center of the holster, leaving the grip easily accessible should you need to draw.  Currently mine is configured at about a 45 degree cant (muzzle towards ground), but you can change it up to your preference (up, down, or straight to the side).
View Quote

Maybe it's just me, god forbid you get into a crash, but having seatbelt going across the middle of the holster seems like it would caused additional trauma if you were involved in one.  Maybe I'm wrong
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Maybe it's just me, god forbid you get into a crash, but having seatbelt going across the middle of the holster seems like it would caused additional trauma if you were involved in one.  Maybe I'm wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question, unsure.  Bigger surface area than the seat belt itself, so I don't know if it would distribute better or cause more harm.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Agreed.  No holster requirement for carrying concealed but required for OC.  You get yourself into a grey area in instances such as Mexican Carry.
Back on topic, looking at the picture above, these chest holsters look like a very good option when driving/riding.  Anyone every do this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Problem solved.

The holster requirement was copied from Oklahoma.  Their issue was someone could be "open carrying" a handgun by carrying it in their hand.  So, they came up with the requirement that the pistol be carried in a holster.

I see it as unnecessary... but you have to admit that seeing a bunch of guys with handguns in their hands walking around town is not something that would be good for LTCers.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Who makes this holster?

Quoted:

http://2aholster.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Horizontal-Carry-940x714.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Tom @ http://2aholster.com/chest-holsters/ based out of Georgia.  I really like it so far, very configurable, stays tight to the chest, holds the gun as it should  (when running, etc).

Similar design to this one (but 2a is half the price) http://gunfightersinc.com/?page_id=251

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I want to find one to put a suppressed browning buckmark in on a chest rig or plate carrier like that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#21]
We don't allow shoulder rigs on the range.  It's almost impossible to find a model that doesn't violated basic safety rules, like don't point your weapon at any thing you don't plan on killing.  Standing to the left for a right handed draw or behind for a horizontal holster you are looking down someone's barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top