Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2016 2:10:50 AM EDT
MadMackintosh, few friends, and I are heading to y'alls's neck of the woods sometime in late December with the intention of killing as many pigs as possible.

We are in the initial planning stages trying to figure out:

Where to hunt:
We are thinking Eastern Texas where we've been told lots of pigs roam farms, and we may be allowed to go shoot for next to nothing or free? If we end up paying to hunt, that's totally acceptable too.

Where to sleep:
Cheap motels, some farmers barn, a lodge that accommodates hunters, lean-to, our van down by the river...

If we can get deer tags, or if there are any lodges that need some mid-range/management bucks, does, whatever, shot (we will pay of course). Just want some meat to take home and turn into jerky and burgers.

So please Tex-arfcom-as, if you have suggestions or wisdom, any secret places you don't mind sharing, really ANY info to share, let me know!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been to Texas once, last October for a work conference in Dallas.
Lockhart's Smokehouse beef ribs were great. Gotta git me some more of that.
Looking forward to this trip.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll need a Texas Non-Resident Hunting License ($315, if you want to take a deer), or a Texas Non-Resident Special Hunting ($132, no deer, exotics and non-game animals).

I would strongly suggest finding an outfitter to set up your hunt.

No one is going to let you wander around their property during the prime month of deer season just blasting away at hogs, and I don't think you'll find too many farmers in East Texas willing to let a stranger hunt their land (because they've already been bombarded with requests from friends and family).

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll need a Texas Non-Resident Hunting License ($315, if you want to take a deer), or a Texas Non-Resident Special Hunting ($132, no deer, exotics and non-game animals).

No one is going to let you wander around their property during the prime month of deer season just blasting away at hogs, and I don't think you'll find too many farmers in East Texas willing to let a stranger hunt their land (because they've already been bombarded with requests from friends and family).

View Quote

Outfitters then, off to Google.

Anyone have favorites / suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Sadly, this is what you want.They tend to be booked up for the next ten years. But, cancellations do happen.The ranch is sort of like Jurassic Park.

http://www.nail-ranch.com/
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It will be hard to find a decent place just to hunt hogs in December because of deer season. Hunting is big business here in Texas. You might call or look the state Game Wardens recommendations they're good folks.
But what I would do is to see about booking a deer hunt and have the land owner throw in a few hogs for free or a reduced price. Or, book an exotic hunt and do the same. Axis are a wonderful trophy and great eating.
I would not do a day hunt operation as they are usually shot up by December. Use a reputable ranch/guide.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

He can get a temp lic.
I think it's $45.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He can get a temp lic.
I think it's $45.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He can get a temp lic.
I think it's $45.

Non-resident 5-day special hunting license is $48, but won't cover game animals.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Good luck on finding someone with land that will let strangers, from out state roam around on and kill stuff. Won't happen, unless you befriend someone on the site here. Hell most people with land and a pig problem figured out there's money to be made and charge a lot of money to kill them.

There is public land here with lots of pigs on it, but that time of year it's usually deer and waterfowl hunting only.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#9]
You should post this in the hog hunting section, a lot of guys there with some good info.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Bring your check book, oh wait, out of state, bring cash, like a couple grand per person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top