User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Traffic sucks enough already, and telling people to stay off the biggest highway in town is just insane.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

News tonight had APD telling people to stay off the lower level at night, and they might get TXDOT to put up warning signs.

This may push nut job(s) to change hunting grounds.  

Not sure how this is going to pan out, but I think it will take a bunch of cameras to nail this down, but where to put them now?

Traffic sucks enough already, and telling people to stay off the biggest highway in town is just insane.

They just said it was an idea brought up at some kind of brainstorming meeting. No way is it going to happen.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't bother with what?  

Maybe it's me being optimistic and having some faith in APD but I think they'll catch somebody.  I agree that it's most likely a copycat of the original.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sadly these are happening all the time in Austin.  Sometimes we will go a couple months of nothing then they pick right back up.  A lot of these happen on parts of the lower deck of 35.  Some have been on over passes while others are from cars going opposit directions.  Assevado has no suspects and I really think he might not care.  He's more worried about taking guns away.  From what I remember several people have died.  As far as sizes I know some of these have been large.  These are not pebbles.  My guess is the people doing this are the very ones that assevado protects.

Don't bother.

They will never catch anyone. At this point it's all copycats. It appears to me the rocks are thrown from the upper deck onto the lower.

Don't bother with what?  

Maybe it's me being optimistic and having some faith in APD but I think they'll catch somebody.  I agree that it's most likely a copycat of the original.  

You are too optimistic, but keep on believing in APD.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadly these are happening all the time in Austin.  Sometimes we will go a couple months of nothing then they pick right back up.  A lot of these happen on parts of the lower deck of 35.  Some have been on over passes while others are from cars going opposit directions.  Assevado has no suspects and I really think he might not care.  He's more worried about taking guns away.  From what I remember several people have died.  As far as sizes I know some of these have been large.  These are not pebbles.  My guess is the people doing this are the very ones that assevado protects.

Don't bother.

They will never catch anyone. At this point it's all copycats. It appears to me the rocks are thrown from the upper deck onto the lower.

Don't bother with what?  

There's a guy who was shooting people in downtown Austin a couple years ago who didn't beleive in APD. Got lit up by a horse cop.

He does now.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
At 4 this morning, I drove down 35 to work in the left lane, looking at the height of the wall and how close the lanes are to it. I can easily see how someone driving could pitch a golf ball sized rock and hit a car. The news did show some rocks that were softball sized or bigger that did some real serious damage. it could be 2 different people, one pitching rocks over the divider and another dropping big rocks off an overpass, may even be the same person doing both.

The other thing I noticed on 35 is there is a lot of area through Round Rock and North Austin that someone could pitch a rock over the divider, have there been any incidents up this way? Or just down town?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The other thing I noticed on 35 is there is a lot of area through Round Rock and North Austin that someone could pitch a rock over the divider, have there been any incidents up this way? Or just down town?
View Quote

Don, check the link in the first post.  It has a map showing incidents from north of Buda to south of Round Rock.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
It wouldn't take any effort to toss a softball size rock across the divider out of a big truck, the length of the combination would shield it from view of following traffic, and time of night and happening from Buda to Round Rock would make sense.  

Didn't stay at a Holiday Inn or find a junior detective badge in my Cracker Jacks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
There's throwing the rock and then there's timing. You gotta be some place where you can see or you need a spotter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's throwing the rock and then there's timing. You gotta be some place where you can see or you need a spotter.
View Quote

No you don't.   If it misses toss another rock.  You guys are making this out to be a hell of a lot harder than it is.  Traffic volumes are measured in thousands of cars per hour.

If it was hard to do or required preparation these jackasses would not be doing it in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Timing has nothing to do with it.  What you are mistaken is in thinking that the rocks that hit cars were the only rocks thrown.  For every rock that has hit a car and been reported, I would be willing to wager two more have been thrown and either missed, or not been reported.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I throw like a girl and I'm pretty sure I could do better than a 30% hit rate.

The guys who keep saying this is hard are kidding themselves. When it comes to overpasses, after a few drops to get a feel for airtime and relative speed, it would be crunch crunch crunch all day long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As kids, it was fairly easy to throw bottles with left hand while driving OVER the vehicle and hit roadsigns on the right shoulder while moving.

Throwing a rock into oncoming traffic is even more trivial. Simple underhand toss.

I throw like a girl and I'm pretty sure I could do better than a 30% hit rate.

The guys who keep saying this is hard are kidding themselves. When it comes to overpasses, after a few drops to get a feel for airtime and relative speed, it would be crunch crunch crunch all day long.

the guys saying it's hard to throw a softball sized rock out the drivers window while driving obviously never had a vehicle driven paper route....i think sundays paper could've done some damage at just 35mph...
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Timing has nothing to do with it.  What you are mistaken is in thinking that the rocks that hit cars were the only rocks thrown.  For every rock that has hit a car and been reported, I would be willing to wager two more have been thrown and either missed, or not been reported.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No you don't.   If it misses toss another rock.  You guys are making this out to be a hell of a lot harder than it is.  Traffic volumes are measured in thousands of cars per hour.

If it was hard to do or required preparation these jackasses would not be doing it in the first place.

Next thing you know, you guys are gonna be telling me about shooting out tires on a moving car with a glock.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Next thing you know, you guys are gonna be telling me about shooting out tires on a moving car with a glock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't it blow up in your hand before you can throw it?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#13]
It seems they just caught somebody in the act.  Buddy texted me.  Ought to be in the news soon.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It seems they just caught somebody in the act.  Buddy texted me.  Ought to be in the news soon.
View Quote

Yep:

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/152141390-story
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The Austin Police Department responded to a disturbance call in the 3200 blk of N. IH -35, northbound service road at 8:47 a.m. on Friday, June 3, 2016  At this time, one person is in custody for being involved in throwing a rock and other objects onto the lower deck and service road. Although this person has been taken into custody, APD does not believe this suspect is responsible for all 83 rock throwing cases. This is all preliminary information and APD is actively working on the investigation. Once more information is made available, we will let the public know.

APD does ask that everyone remain vigilant when traveling on IH-35 near the upper and lower deck.
View Quote
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top