Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2016 5:19:19 PM EDT
I know there was a nice thread recently about a new system but I'm looking a building this year and I need to get some informed opinions.

Building in central Texas, rocky ground, pretty level.  McLennan County has a design and permitting/inspection process.

One designer says the aerobic systems are not worth the trouble, don't generate much water for irrigation and he suggests the old style, leach field.

What is you experience?  3000 sq ft home, 4 adults, 2 children.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know there was a nice thread recently about a new system but I'm looking a building this year and I need to get some informed opinions.

Building in central Texas, rocky ground, pretty level.  McLennan County has a design and permitting/inspection process.

One designer says the aerobic systems are not worth the trouble, don't generate much water for irrigation and he suggests the old style, leach field.

What is you experience?  3000 sq ft home, 4 adults, 2 children.

Thanks
View Quote

Bullshit.

Every gallon of liquid that goes down your drains and toilets will be output through the system's sprinklers, or into a reservoir if you choose.

In that area of Texas, darn right go with the Aerobic system.  I have one.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Dripping Springs (Hill Country, ground similar to that described by you). We have a traditional system with a leach field. It's the less expensive option, but we only have it because the septic tank existed when we purchased our property. We haven't had any issues with our system in the 3+ years we've lived there - 2 adults, 3 children.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a friend that is required by his county to have an aerobic system,
he would tell you, if you are not required to have an aerobic system don't install one.

If you choose to install one,
you are required to have inspections done.
The type of maintenance and inspections vary by county.

You may want to read through this:
http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/licensing/ossf/ossfmaintenance.html
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a friend that is required by his county to have an aerobic system,
he would tell you, if you are not required to have an aerobic system don't install one.

If you choose to install one,
you are required to have inspections done.
The type of maintenance and inspections vary by county.

You may want to read through this:
http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/licensing/ossf/ossfmaintenance.html
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I in the Hill Coutry area - approx 20 miles North of New Braunfels. My landscape is rocky ground and my house in is a hill side. Minimal flat ground for a leeching field. I have an aerobic systm - and have had no issues. The system is 5 yrs old and tank has never been pumped out. It chlorinates well and requires almost no maintainance. I do pay $200/yr to have it inspected quarterly. It was an county requirement, but provides me with some piece of mind.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I in the Hill Coutry area - approx 20 miles North of New Braunfels. My landscape is rocky ground and my house in is a hill side. Minimal flat ground for a leeching field. I have an aerobic systm - and have had no issues. The system is 5 yrs old and tank has never been pumped out. It chlorinates well and requires almost no maintainance. I do pay $200/yr to have it inspected quarterly. It was an county requirement, but provides me with some piece of mind.
View Quote

Do you get much spray out of the back end?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had an aerobic since about 2005. Wouldn't take for it. I've heard way too many horror stories about the others not working well, if at all, when the ground becomes saturated during extended periods of rain.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've had an aerobic since about 2005. Wouldn't take for it. I've heard way too many horror stories about the others not working well, if at all, when the ground becomes saturated during extended periods of rain.
View Quote

Are you saying you LIKE the aerobic system, or not?   Can't quite tell.

CMOS

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
All heads spray fairly evenly. I have 2 above the tank and 2 below the tank. There is about a 10-15 ft elevation difference above and below. To be fair, we aren't full time residents at this place - just 3 weekends per month, family of 3.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]
We are out by Bandera (Hill Country) and have had a "normal" septic installed in 2005.
The leach field is in caliche, no problems in 10yrs.

Honestly,
your best bet is to have a septic contractor out to look at where you want to install it and see what his recommendations are as to the best type of system for your soil.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Due to our soil type (NNE Texas) we are required to go Aerobic

We have been here for 18 years

If you decide to go Aerobic, get references from the installers and maintainers and check them out

We went through several who destroyed our system every time they maintained it

It got so bad, I finally started maintaining it myself.  I have not had any major issues in the last 10 years

I have gone through 1 water pump and 2 aereator motors in the last 10 years
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

CMOS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMOS

Yes...very much like it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you decide to go Aerobic, get references from the installers and maintainers and check them out

It got so bad, I finally started maintaining it myself.  I have not had any major issues in the last 10 years

View Quote

I'll try to get references, what type of work from the "servicers" caused your problems?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If using an old style system, try to avoid having the water line going next to the trenches.  If water line breaks, you'll have a difficult time finding source for the leak and will smell like crap digging it up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll try to get references, what type of work from the "servicers" caused your problems?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of them bent the aereator shaft somehow

Another time they tore apart the biokenetic filter abd did not assemble it properly so I had raw sewage flowing into the effluent tank

They left the water pump electrical connector hanging into the tank
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
OP,

Just FYI - I have had my aerobic septic system for 10 years now, with zero problems.  Over that timeframe I have had it pumped twice (family of 3).

Especially where you are, it's a good system as you can reclaim the water for lawns and gardens.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Depending on the soil you may not have a choice between an aerobic or conventional.
That determination will be made by the engineer.
The lot size can also have a bearing in some counties.
I build homes and haven't installed anything but aerobics for about the last 10 -12 years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP,

Just FYI - I have had my aerobic septic system for 10 years now, with zero problems.  Over that timeframe I have had it pumped twice (family of 3).

Especially where you are, it's a good system as you can reclaim the water for lawns and gardens.

CMOS
View Quote

Good info, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't do the leach with that many people
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate the aerobic system.  Water pumps, air pumps, high water alarms, adding chlorine.  If you have a short period of heavy use untreated waste will flow to the pump-out tank and that is a mess.  I would always pick a conventional if I had the choice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Local installer called me back and has put a couple of systems in the same area.  He says there is about 12" of dirt then rocks.  I'll need to dig out a very large area, come back with sand and such because I can't have a normal leach field.  He told me there are a lot of options but the rock removal and fill would add quite a bit to the cost.  I've been trying to come up with an excuse to buy a tractor, this may weight into that decision.

I found what he was talking about -

Soil Substitution System- A septic system where the drain field may be constructed in gravel, rocky, or other soil substrates of high permeability where the septic tank effluent could rapidly reach groundwater without having undergone adequate treatment through soil contact.  These systems are constructed similarly to a conventional system with the exception, of the requirement of a 2-foot thick substituted soil buffer below and on all four sides, of the drain field excavation.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hate the aerobic system.  Water pumps, air pumps, high water alarms, adding chlorine.  If you have a short period of heavy use untreated waste will flow to the pump-out tank and that is a mess.  I would always pick a conventional if I had the choice.
View Quote

+1

He speaks the truth.

I've been on aerobic since 2003.
Besides, it's 450 to 500 bucks to periodically pump those tanks out.

Air pumps now $200 - $300 they use to be over 400.  Rebuild kits are available for around $50 - $75.

If the system is running perfectly ( with the air line blowing bubbles in the second tank ) - there is no smell, even without chlorine tablets.

If the air line becomes clogged ( most do ) - it will usually overwork the air pump and break the diaphragm.
Most folks would not know the air line is clogged, and just install a new air pump not knowing it isn't doing a thing for their system.

My neighbors have frequently overloaded the daily usage, and have had to have all 3 tanks pumped several times.

Generally, they are a pain in the ASS.

eta:  
Some folks are still purchasing chlorine " septic tablets " at about 65 bucks for 10lbs. http://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-CHLOR-TABS-10-lbs-Aerobic-Septic-Tablets-47010/205050999
When you can get 25lbs of swimming pool chlorine tablets for the same price.   http://www.lowes.com/pd_649740-1772-22025CLX___?productId=50333003&pl=1&Ntt=chlorine+tablets+for+pool

I called the EPA - and they DID NOT have a problem with it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Depending on the soil you may not have a choice between an aerobic or conventional.
I build homes and haven't installed anything but aerobics for about the last 10 -12 years.
View Quote

This above is true, soil and county requirements will affect your options.  I'm in Burnet County and the septic company had to come out and take soil samples in several spots where the septic system would be installed and that affected what the county would approve.  We have good soil where it was going at so I ended up with a conventional system for the size of my home/number of people living here.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#24]
We have an aerobic system, due to high clay content in our soil. My friend installs and maintains septic systems and he told me that an aerobic system requires maintenance on average every three to five years. Pump replacement, pumping out tank, etc. A leach field system could go thirty years without service, if the soil is good and the owners take care of it. It is also cheaper to install the traditional than it is the aerobic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This above is true, soil and county requirements will affect your options.  I'm in Burnet County and the septic company had to come out and take soil samples in several spots where the septic system would be installed and that affected what the county would approve.  We have good soil where it was going at so I ended up with a conventional system for the size of my home/number of people living here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am also in Burnet county and ended up using an aerobic system. In seven years it has been pumped once, but did not really need it at that time. The system I have also uses liquid household bleach at about a gallon a month which costs about $4.25 a gallon. The maintenance is higher, but not excessive. I have spent about $550 in maintenance in seven years including having it pumped once.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top