Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 2:27:03 AM EDT
Been having some administrative trouble with a state farm agent and switching agents is a pain in the butt. Even though State Farm has a website, I still need to do everything through an agent that can be less than reliable. I can't even setup autopay through the website.

I wandered over to the USAA website and I can pay about the same ($1 less a mo). The main thing I was impressed with USAA was selecting exactly what I wanted for coverage on the website without going through a middle man. I assume they have decent account management online as well?

Does anyone here have experiences with them either positive or negative? What is it like to file a claim? What about other products such as house insurance, etc?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Paging Dynamo...

From my personal experience, I had a driver insured by USAA hit one of our vehicles.
They were great to work with in paying my bodyshop and getting us a rental car.
There was no jerking me around after they had assumed liability (unlike Fred Loya
which I've been trying to get them for 5 months to reimburse me for a rental car when
one of their clients rear-ended my wife's vehicle).
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been with USAA since 1972.

You will not find a better insurance company.

When another insurance salesman tries to sell you something and you tell him you have USAA he will stop his sales pitch and move on because he knows he is wasting his time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been with USAA for years and couldn't be happier. They are great to deal with. I've also been banking with them for awhile now and been very happy with that side of them as well.
I would highly recommend taking your business to them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been with USAA since ~1990 and have all of my insurance through them.  I don't know how they compare on price (I've never checked) but as a customer their service has always been top notch.  No problems or hassles ever when I've filed a claim.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Been with them for decades too and agree.

No complaints, nothing but positives. Even made a big claim (house fire), they covered everything, and gave me the benefit of the doubt on things that were completely destroyed. In addition to insurance, banking is great too. One of the first to come out with chipped credit cards, which was great when I went to Europe last year (most of Europe does not take magentic strip anymore).
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
They're the shizzle. Been a member for 12 years.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Tried shopping them this year (Mar 2016 renewal) for home and auto and they were $1500 higher per year than my current provider (Amica).
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Used to love USAA - been with them since 1979 and had a couple of great claims experience along the way. Then I separated from my wife 4 years ago. She called them to see what if there was anything she needed to do with the insurance.  Since we had just paid to have the water pipes replaced, she voiced a concern about making sure she was covered in case of water leaks and they sold her Flood Insurance.  Then they convinced her to separate her car insurance which raised all of our premiums - even better I am the only owner of her car. So they sold her insurance on a car she didn't own.  They were suitably embarrassed when I called but unable to fix it due to privacy concerns. Wasn't overly impressed with the variety of ways they screwed her over so I went with a different insurance company and back with the same old wife. made the right choice in both regards.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
USAA is higher than my current policy's with geico.  I've had positive experiences with geico however I have been hit twice by USAA and they are extremely fast and very easy to deal with.  With my current job I deal with insurance companies daily on bigger amounts than cars and USAA is by far the easiest to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
They are the absolute best. Yes, in some cases they are higher. But when you need to use them you realize why. They make EVERYTHING easier. Buying a car with USAA pre-approval is a snap with them. Making a car insurance claim? No worries, everything is taken care of by them. I got to choose where I wanted to take my vehicle to, and they handled everything else. I dealt with no phone calls from anyone, everything was handled by them and my car was fixed by the dealership to like-new condition. USAA called me when it was done, and they offered to have either the dealership pick me up, or they (USAA) would send someone out to get me and take me to the dealership where my car was. I pay more for home insurance with USAA, but I will gladly pay more for them. Especially after having dealt with State Farm, Progressive, and Nationwide. I will never go back to any of those, USAA is my only choice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Their customer service is the absolute best and they are great in actually paying claims.  That said, their rates are very high.  I'm paying $700 more per year having USAA than if I had Progressive or State Farm.  

Crazy story...I hit 2 raccoons on my way from Austin to the Kileen Airport at 5AM.  I tossed the keys in the gas tank door and got on my flight.  I called USAA once I arrived at DFW while boarding my 2.5 hour flight to Wisconsin.  By the time I got off the plane in Wisconsin, I already had a voicemail from the autobody shop saying they have picked up my car and had my estimate ready to go.  USAA took care of everything.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I love USAA.  I am sure I could pay less as a whole but I also dont get the very min coverage.   The state min for auto is a joke and can get you in trouble if you are at fault in a bad accident.   I also have all other policies with them and by the time I add it up if their rates are higher they are not by the much when you determine the service part.

I was taught to never get insurance by price only.  Only get insurance based on coverage and service.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#14]
A USAA agent called my wife a liar during an insurance claim.

We took the dispute with our adjuster all the way up to the top of the food chain before we got treated properly.

I shitcanned those fools and went to farmers for the cars/bike.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes I had them for years, I used to work for them as an insurance adjuster as well. Horrible company to work for in the call center but I'll never go anywhere else for insurance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used them for years and will echo what others have said, been very happy with them on auto.  Had a claim where all 3 of us were USAA policy holders (truck rear ended me, pushed me into the car in front of me).  Everything went smooth.

Checked them out for a VA IRRL couple of years ago and felt like they were playing games.  I wanted to convert to a 15 year fixed and they said it couldn't be done, when I pressed they said they just didn't offer it.  Ended up doing it with my current lender (Wells Fargo).

Thinking about them or Amica for my homeowner's.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had  USAA for Auto, Car and life insurance since around 2000. We have had several auto accidents over the years that were both our fault and others. USAA has been nothing but great to work with and overall I have no complaints. I have also had a couple of home owners insurance claims too and they made it very easy for me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#18]
My feelings echo most of the others in this thread. I love my USAA auto insurance. I know it's not the cheapest, but the service is great.I love that when I call, I get an actual American in San Antonio on the phone.

I also bank , invest with, and have my mortgage through USAA.

Unfortunately, I had to switch my homeowner's insurance from them, after an increase that made their prices $1,500 a year more expensive than pretty much all their competitors. I even gave them a chance to try to meet me in the middle on discounts, but they wouldn't budge. That price difference was too great to ignore.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes I had them for years, I used to work for them as an insurance adjuster as well. Horrible company to work for in the call center but I'll never go anywhere else for insurance.
View Quote

Much wisdom in this post.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Another big fan of USAA.  Love the insurance.  Just moved my banking over to them after 20 something years with my current bank who went to hell in a handbasket after Prosperity bought them out a while back.  And I just used the car buying service for a new car which was remarkably smooth.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#21]
They were fast pretty good, good prices and easy to bank with but i dont use them ex wife cut me off!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#22]
No problems on the car side but, they are giving me hell on a roof leak claim.  Never hear back from anyone, terrible communication,  They were ready to deny the claim on a 7-year old roof before anyone even looked at it because "they don't cover old roofs"...

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#23]
At the end of the day they're an insurance company trying to make money, but generally better than the rest.  Having banking and insurance under one roof is convenient, as well as not getting a foreigner when you call.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No problems on the car side but, they are giving me hell on a roof leak claim.  Never hear back from anyone, terrible communication,  They were ready to deny the claim on a 7-year old roof before anyone even looked at it because "they don't cover old roofs"...

View Quote

+1 to this they denied my claim of roof damage when a tornado folded all my shingles back on the west facing side of the roof.  The adjuster didn't even inspect the roof and just told me the sun will melt them back into place.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:37:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tried shopping them this year (Mar 2016 renewal) for home and auto and they were $1500 higher per year than my current provider (Amica).
View Quote

I shopped them about 6 years ago for auto insurance on our vehicles and homeowners for my Dad's home. They were much higher on both.

My wife's friend from college works for them in San Antonio. He says they are higher in the beginning, but the prices will come down after awhile.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been using USAA auto insurance and banking since 2003.  Never had an issue unlike Security Service FCU.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#27]

I've had USAA since '85.  

I've never had any problems with them and they've always treated me very well.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny you say this.

I got a letter from them letting me know my rates would need to go up because of the age of my roof.  I called to ask why and they said the roof was 15 years old.  I had to remind them they paid to replace the roof 2 years before because of wind damage.  The person on the phone said yes they could see it but the system that sends the letters could not see it.  They updated their DB and I got to keep the lower rate.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks everyone for the replies. Based the fact that most people's experiences were positive I just got my auto insurance with them today.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Pretty good Auto rates and service. Not as good as a few years ago because they have grown too much too quickly, but better than most. Homeowner rates are really high, and service is average at best, maybe even poor, in my experience. Again, too much growth. I used to be with them. Now with another company, mostly because of HO rates.

I would compare Amica, Metlife Auto and Home, maybe Farmers, if I were looking.  Never, ever, Allstate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When another insurance salesman tries to sell you something and you tell him you have USAA he will stop his sales pitch and move on because he knows he is wasting his time.
View Quote

Came here to post this ^^^^ .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top