Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2016 3:35:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I went once, but now either go to ASC since they have more distance options or Athena Gun Club (indoor super nice range) if the weathers bad.

I didnt have a bad time when I went to hotwells... but for only a few mins longer drive the other two offer more options for me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Range management at Hotwells was beyond awful last time I went (two years ago?) - the whole magic ticket process and how they clear the range was bizarre.  I don't anticipate ever going back.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Just have them read all the expert advice in GD and they will know everything there is to know without ever having to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Athena is closer than ASC.
Athena is membership only, or open to public?
 Pay for hr?

Ok...Just looked at their website.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went once, but now either go to ASC since they have more distance options or Athena Gun Club (indoor super nice range) if the weathers bad.

I didnt have a bad time when I went to hotwells... but for only a few mins longer drive the other two offer more options for me.

Athena is closer than ASC.
Athena is membership only, or open to public?
 Pay for hr?

Ok...Just looked at their website.

Yep, open to the public, and their prices are pretty competitive.   Thursdays they typically announce a "secret word" on their facebook that gets you half off range fees for the day too. They do have private memberships too (dont look at the prices, they're insane for a membership to their lounge)

All in all Athena and ASC are the two best options in the area for the public.  (at least that I've found)

Well worth the extra commute for me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you shooting rifle or pistol?

If you're shooting pistol only I highly recommend the indoor shooting range "Shooting Sports & Training Centers of Texas" on Bauer-Hockley Road & Meuschke.  Great folks in there.

If you can keep it on paper "Joe" will even allow double-taps and rapid combat shooting.  I go there regularly.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#11]
As for ASC, since it's outdoors, you have pistol and rifle space based on the yardage and have to carry your stuff and move to different lane/bench if you want to change yardage. You can use FMJ, HP, penetrator core (855), etc no issues, since you mentioned shooting more rifle than pistols.  Downside is No rapid fire.  Fresh Air, always good.

I like Athena for Indoors (although I live within arm's reach of Athena or Memorial Shooting Center, both indoor ranges) as some of their lanes are roomier unlike traditional crampy indoor lanes, and possibly better ventilation system as I always breathe better there, vs some other indoor ranges where you are sometimes left smelling like gunsmoke.  Limited on what ammo you can use, so probably have to call to see if you are bringing certain ammo to the range.

I have been meaning to go to the range the past few weeks, but other priorities with family engagements knocked it down.  I may be able to squeeze an hour or two out of this Sunday's schedule though, to go...will have to see if any "unforseen" events pop up like always..
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I prefer they come up here.  So much easier and so much freedom at our range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just have them read all the expert advice in GD and they will know everything there is to know without ever having to shoot.

Make them come visit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Got everything packed, then my grandfather called...Will be coming to visit for the New Years today.  Always something unpredictable pops up.  Well, gotta go buy some ribs to smoke now...

Have fun with the nephews
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They will.  My 12 years old nephew is probably a future gun nut. The kid love firearms even when he was about 7 or 8 years old.  Had to buy him nerf gun or toy gun for his birthday or Christmas present.
 He's pumped...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make them come visit.

They will.  My 12 years old nephew is probably a future gun nut. The kid love firearms even when he was about 7 or 8 years old.  Had to buy him nerf gun or toy gun for his birthday or Christmas present.
 He's pumped...

You can be a cool uncle like me and give the nephew an AR.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd avoid Hotwells at all cost unless things have changed significantly. Terrible range supervision with idiots sweeping each other constantly. I took an AR pistol build there a few years ago before I had a place. They shit bricks and said there's NO WAY you are shooting that here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Hot wells is nice. It's cheap, but only got 25, 50 and 100yds. ASC has further. They're also more expensive, you have to pay per gun and per shooter. That's how it was a couple years ago. I stopped going because i usually take 3 or 4 guns, and it ended up costing me 75$ plus tax to go shoot by myself.

Hotwells can become a cluster fuck on the weekends. Bunch of young RO kids who think they're commandos, then you have the older RO guys who think they're elite retired special forces. This us the vibe they pass off, i don't usually talk them anymore.

For the price, Hotwells is GTG.

ASC is nice but expensive.

Carters just sucks. Haven't been in years since they raised the prices after a remodel.

Not alot of good ranges in the Houston area. I don't like indoor, i shoot mostly rifles.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd avoid Hotwells at all cost unless things have changed significantly. Terrible range supervision with idiots sweeping each other constantly. I took an AR pistol build there a few years ago before I had a place. They shit bricks and said there's NO WAY you are shooting that here.
View Quote

I haven't seen this issue. I also try to avoid going on the weekends. I never notice muzzle sweeps. I guess I'm too busy focusing on myself i become unaware of the bullshit surrounding me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you're shooting pistol only I highly recommend the indoor shooting range "Shooting Sports & Training Centers of Texas" on Bauer-Hockley Road & Meuschke.  Great folks in there.

CMOS
View Quote

I've been by there just to find out where it was. Need to stop in and shoot and see what their policy is on outside instructors. Too bad about the limited hours of operation though.

Hot Wells - it's light years better than it was a decade ago. It was scary back then. Now it's just a little irritating with the restrictions, but what range isn't in some way? If you just need to sight in a rifle, it's not bad. Best part of Hot Wells, hands down, is their skeet fields.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow. Hot Wells. I have not shot there since I worked at TI. It was great going across the highway to shoot after work.

Have fun with the family.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Hot Wells has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years since the female owner passed away.  Her son/s took over and it's been built up, remodeled, and is a bit better place.
They offer other shooting classes besides LTC now.

Still only short pistol, 25/50 and 100 yard lanes though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top