Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 4:30:00 PM EDT
Thank you in advance everyone for your suggestions,
I'll be coming down to Texas for the first time this April (7th) flying into love field and driving to Austin the same day I was thinking of driving back up through the hill country NW of Austin on my way back to Denton on the to visit with family.
I was looking for some suggestions from my fellow arfcommers on what to see or do while I'm in Texas?

Thanks all GOTURBACK

I forgot to add guys I'll be in Austin for several days arriving on Thursday and heading back towards Denton on Monday maybe stay overnight somewhere for one night on my way up, anything special in the Hill Country going back up?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll start with an easy one - on your way to Austin stop by the Czech Stop in West and pick up some kolaches.   Enjoy the sugar rush for the remainder of your drive.  

Here is a link:
http://www.czechstop.net/our-menu/
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll start with an easy one - on your way to Austin stop by the Czech Stop in West and pick up some kolaches.   Enjoy the sugar rush for the remainder of your drive.  

Here is a link:
View Quote

This. Also, stop at Bucees in Temple.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Allow extra time for your Austin leg of the trip, lots of construction on I-35  South of Dallas. Esp when you get around Waco/Temple.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas Ranger Museum in Waco

Texas on the Brazos, Waco

isn't Dallas to Austin to Denton about 8 hours drive time?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a link:

Just stay away from those dang Beaver Nuggets.  

In Austin, check out Pinthouse Pizza.  There's a couple of them.  Good beers on tap and I like the pie.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Here is a link:
View Quote

and then go across the highway to Slovacek's and compare
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you like to do?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Here is a link:
View Quote

Forget Czech stop. Go into town and visit the bakeries. They taste better.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a link:

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Austin is more like little california....
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Eat some crawfish

Go to Gruene Hall and just hang out for an afternoon into the evening

See the Battleship Texas / San Jacinto Monument

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Stop in San Antonio visit the Alamo and walk the river walk
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a link:

Slovacek's does have a good boudin kolache.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What do you like to do?
View Quote

I like visiting natural areas state and national parks, the Texas Ranger museum sounds cool, my uncle was planning on taking me to the stockyards in ft. Worth of course I like to go to gun stores and eating BBQ and Beef throw in a couple of good hoppy beers along the way too. I plan on ccw'ing while there and I'm hoping to meet up with a trainer I know up near Dallas for a range day, any important tips as far as carrying concealed while there would be appreciated! Such as How do I determine the 51% rule with regards to resturaunt alcohol sales is one question that I had.....any other pertinent info would be appreciated too. I have heard Austin is kind of a progressive/liberal area and unlike the rest of Texas I'm hoping the hotel chain I am booked in (Red Roof Inn South Austin) does not have any 30:06 signage?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a side trip to Enchanted Rock State Natural Area.  Stay in Fredericksburg and enjoy some German beer and cuisine.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]
How is Balcones Canyonlands State Park?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Take a side trip to Enchanted Rock State Natural Area.  Stay in Fredericksburg and enjoy some German beer and cuisine.  
View Quote

This.  Old German Bakery on Main St in Fredricksburg is pretty cool.  Not as hoppy, but good German.  I like sitting on their patio

Another outdoor place to consider is Dinosaur Valley SP.  Lots of good hiking and actual dino prints in the creek beds.  We've driven right past it on the way to Hill Country, stopped for the night on several trips coming/going to West Texas and hauled visiting relatives from our home the east side of Dallas for day trips.   It might have some flooding issues, so check before you drive over.  Dinosaur Valley SP.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How is Balcones Canyonlands State Park?
View Quote

Good place for bird watching.  Wife loves it.  Now is the wrong time of the year.  And it's usually overpopulated by overly-smug under-educated eco-weenies on weekends.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Since I dont know where you are from, I cant make any logical suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#20]
The Bob Bullock Texas History museum in Austin is excellent.  

Get yourself a cheeseburger and fries at Storm's in Lampasas if you come back up the 183/281 route.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm afraid to say that I'm Trapped behind enemy lines in NYS the former home of Arfcom, don't hate me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg is first class.  The Capitol building complex in Austin is worth a look-see.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Lockhart BBQ (Black's Smitty's)
Austin BBQ (Franklin, Mickelwaite)
Lulling City Market BBQ in Lulling (just off I10) if you aren't interested in back roads.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm afraid to say that I'm Trapped behind enemy lines in NYS the former home of Arfcom, don't hate me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm from NY, so I feel ya.  I fled to TX some 16 years ago.

Find a good shooting range and rent a machinegun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#25]
LilMac I love the back roads and roadside BBQ , r2kba some fa range time sounds fun too it's been a while for some rockin and rollin any suggestions around north Dallas?

I am taking note of everyone's suggestions and want to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to share with me some of your favorite things about Texas life.  Plan on making the most of the two weeks that I will be in The lonestar state.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#26]
In addition to the BBQ in Luling and Lockhart I recommend either one of the 2 Mexican restaurants in the Mexican market in San Antonio and also a trip to Shiner to visit the Spoetlz Brewery and sample some good beer.  if you're into history look into the San Antonio Spanish Mission Trail.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#27]
You`ll be driving RIGHT by my sons` home range. He wins long distance matches. If you wanted a LD lesson he could fix you up. He put me on steel at 1000 yds in about a half hour with his equipment.. Your milage may vary.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn that sounds like fun I have never shot 1000yds. Not sure if I could fit it in where is your son's location? My trip from Dallas to Austin is kinda of non-stop with a determined schedule but the way back north is more flexible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top