Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2016 3:24:50 PM EDT
Website says they have reactive steel pistol range.  Is it worth checking out?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Website says they have reactive steel pistol range.  Is it worth checking out?
View Quote
I shoot rifles there. I like divided lanes for paper target pistol. Hot brass showers are no fun. I think the steel should be fine. The lanes are further apart than the paper target bays. Good staff to shooter ratio throughout.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Hate this place and don't go.

They charge separately for tactical range, handgun range, and rifle range.

Furthermore, you can't use iron sights at 100 yards.  Only 50.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup.  I think the place charges something like 30-35 dollars to shoot both rifle and pistol.  That's nuts.  Have not been there in a long time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Furthermore, you can't use iron sights at 100 yards.  Only 50
View Quote

I thought they changed that, although I haven't actually tried it out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Their fees are on their website. $25.00 for rifle and pistol combo. It is my favorite range for 100 yard rifle. I have never been to any range where I like all of the rules. I would like to be able to use red dots on the 100 yard range. They always have fresh, free ice water.

They have room to the west of the 50 yard range for a 300 yard range. I was told it will not be developed as they had one there at one time, but people would skip bullets out of the property. That was before I ever shot there.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the damn place still underwater?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is the damn place still underwater?
View Quote

Might have some water. The river is up right now as they are letting water out of Lewisville Lake. That was a bad mess down there. Luna Road is worse than it was prior to the flooding, if you can believe that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been in years, so I couldn't say.

I drive by it every day though. The water is pretty high, looks like the parking lot is flooded. If their prices were more reasonable and they didn't have stupid rules about sights on rifle ranges I'd take an occasional lunch and go out there. It's a 5 minute drive from the office.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I drive by it every day though. The water is pretty high, looks like the parking lot is flooded. If their prices were more reasonable and they didn't have stupid rules about sights on rifle ranges I'd take an occasional lunch and go out there. It's a 5 minute drive from the office.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the parking lot in front of the rifle/pistol is flooded, I think the whole place is flooded. They usually indicate on their home website page if the place is flooded. It does not say that it is flooded as of now.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I simply will not go here while these rules are in place. And neither should you.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I simply will not go here while these rules are in place. And neither should you.

https://db.tt/Y3F1HJcj
View Quote
Uh, excuse me??
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Uh, excuse me??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, excuse me??

What was confusing?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What was confusing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, excuse me??

What was confusing?
So, you don't like the rules, so nobody should shoot there?? I will admit, I don't like the red dot rule, and I don't understand the Mosin rule. But a range is a range.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So, you don't like the rules, so nobody should shoot there?? I will admit, I don't like the red dot rule, and I don't understand the Mosin rule. But a range is a range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, excuse me??

What was confusing?

Clearly not, as demonstrated by the rules.

Yes, if people don't shoot there until they change the rules...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Their rules have been consistent for a long time, and they stay packed to capacity for the most part. Have you ever been to a range where there was not a rule or two that you did not agree with? I have not found one yet.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Their rules have been consistent for a long time, and they stay packed to capacity for the most part. Have you ever been to a range where there was not a rule or two that you did not agree with? I have not found one yet.
View Quote

One that completely prevented me from using a rifle in any kind of practical way?

No. That's an over the top ridiculous rule. I have guns that are generally good on irons out to 500 yards, and Elm Fork won't let me shoot them beyond roughly handgun range.

That's window licking stupid.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Their range; their rules!  Place stays packed (when not flooded)...especially on the weekends!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Their range; their rules!  Place stays packed (when not flooded)...especially on the weekends!
View Quote

What does that have to do with anything
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeh, if it doesn't effect ME directly (as in as far as I can see to the end of my nose), then what does it matter?

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#20]
So where is a good place to shoot outside in the DFW area?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:41:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So where is a good place to shoot outside in the DFW area?
View Quote

TDSA, ETTS, Proactive Defense ... Elm Fork is honestly fine to me because I've never shot there during business hours only during matches.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Do any of you know of a range anywhere where you can shoot whatever you want, at any firing rate? Do tell if so. I look forward to my first mag dump, and see if I can hit with irons past 100. Garland allows irons at 100 BTW. Nice place, but they have some rules that might run you off as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeh, if it doesn't effect ME directly (as in as far as I can see to the end of my nose), then what does it matter?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What, power to the people?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do any of you know of a range anywhere where you can shoot whatever you want, at any firing rate? Do tell if so. I look forward to my first mag dump, and see if I can hit with irons past 100. Garland allows irons at 100 BTW. Nice place, but they have some rules that might run you off as well.
View Quote

I used to be a little pissy at the fact that they wouldn't allow any calibers over .270, but apparently that was a local regulation not their rules.

I understand they allow it now. They'll let you shoot handgun on the rifle range if you demonstrate you aren't an idiot. I overall like that place, but haven't been in awhile. Also, they'll rent you a spotting scope for like two dollars, which is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I used to be a little pissy at the fact that they wouldn't allow any calibers over .270, but apparently that was a local regulation not their rules.

I understand they allow it now. They'll let you shoot handgun on the rifle range if you demonstrate you aren't an idiot. I overall like that place, but haven't been in awhile. Also, they'll rent you a spotting scope for like two dollars, which is pretty sweet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was strange that they allowed 270 but not 308 back then. I got chiggers from there one time. Real bad. Somebody told me not to put my feet on or near the wood bases below the targets. I couldn't see them at the time, but was told they were full of chiggers. I spray my feet with Off when I go there now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top