Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 10:48:44 AM EDT
I know, I know, why did I buy a Universal. Bought it to help out my niece when she was low on funds.

It has trouble firing, much less firing twice in a row.

Just need a local rifle smith that knows them.

I'm five miles North of Tomball, but, will jump in the Lariat and take the rifle to a good smith wherever in the area.

email is best [email protected](remove this from address)

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving all
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anyone who's ever made them run well. Universal, Plainfield, same difference, junk, unfortunately. They've been that way since they were new in the 70s. I understand these new guns built in Israel may be pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got one of the few that runs well, but it can be temperamental at times.

I would start with getting some of the original GI 15rd. mags, and making sure it is feeding well. Stay away from the Korean or larger mags.

Then strip and clean it carefully, looking for burrs, and makings sure there are no kinks or oddities in the dual recoil springs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The problem with mine is the magazine attachment point. It's made of some kind of alloy and just worn out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I will use some of my vacation time the next few weeks to give it some work.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought some of the early Universal carbines would interchange parts with G.I. guns.  I had one and it was no trouble at all.  Later, I owned a Plainfield carbine that cracked the op rod.

Finally, I had a G.I. carbine that I really miss now.

I'd say the GI 15 round mags were the best.  Some of mine were still in cosmoline wrap.  Used to be cheap and plentiful.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Palmetto,

Thanks.

Will post if I get it running...LOL.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys I found a great gunsmith up in Conroe, Texas.

He fixed my M1 in a couple of days!

He had to make a pin for the extractor that had been broken. He says the rifle is not all original equipment, lots of changes, and I dropped it off on Friday and picked it up on Sunday. I was very impressed.

The owner of Tomball Pawn gave my Jerry's card. He works at Creekwood Shooting Club on 105 east of Shooters station, you drive behind Richie's and head through the Creekwood gate and he is on the left in a black trailer and is a great guy. His name is Jerry Dawkins

email me at [email protected] and i will give you his phone number.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know anyone who's ever made them run well. Universal, Plainfield, same difference, junk, unfortunately. They've been that way since they were new in the 70s. I understand these new guns built in Israel may be pretty good.
View Quote

I have a Universal that has never caused me any problems.  Maybe I just got lucky.    The one I have is very old, like 1970s probably.

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a Universal that has never caused me any problems.  Maybe I just got lucky.    The one I have is very old, like 1970s probably.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Houston had some civil unrest when MLK was killed. HPD responded to the rioting with Universal M1s. ARs were out there but were not prevalent with PDs yet. Anyway the Universals were so bad the dept dumped them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Houston had some civil unrest when MLK was killed. HPD responded to the rioting with Universal M1s. ARs were out there but were not prevalent with PDs yet. Anyway the Universals were so bad the dept dumped them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that, but I helped out a relative and Jerry Dawkins, the Gunsmith made it work. I'm VERY IMPRESSED. I only purchased it to help out a family member so, please refrain from degrading me....CHEERS and Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't dispute that...  all I can say is I've run a lot of rounds through mine and it has worked fine...  So either some previous owner fixed it or like I said, I just got lucky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top