Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2015 1:59:21 PM EDT
Anyone else going? I'm trying to decide if I want to make the commute from McKinney to the range everyday or get a hotel maybe in Waco.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Wish that I could.

I attended the Carbine Level II class last month.  It was a blast and I learned a great deal.  I would recommend it to anyone.

I stayed on site with my camper.  It was nice to roll out of bed, cook some breakfast and walk to class.  We had five people in our class.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a hotel or see if you can stay in the bunk house. That early wake up call long drive on the second day, after spending the first day driving down, shooting and driving back makes the second day far less attractive.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a hotel or camp out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have just stayed at a hotel the last few time I took a class that was that far from home. The weather might still be okay to camp. I guess it depends on the rain.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I usually stay at the Hampton Inn when I take weekend classes. I think I stayed at a Best Western a couple times too, but I seem to recall that being more Motel-ish. By the time you get done with the first day though, you're probably going to be beat. You're going to run a ton of drills. Oh, and if you've never taken a class at Tiger Valley, then word to the wise...bring at LEAST 500 rounds more than the class says. They have a tendency to just keep running drills and losing track of round counts.

But, when you get back you'll know your weapon inside and out, you'll know why they do it the way that they do and you'll have trigger control and second sight picture down cold. When I go to the range I still do these things, second sight picture and check my six for Cousin Luigi with that frying pan.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I second the extra ammo.

Several drills used up 4 plus mags.

Elbow and knee pads were also my best friend on second half of day one and all of day two.

I left mine at the camper on the first day.  Slamming prone got me a few times.  I consider myself in decent shape also.  40yrs 5'7" 160 lbs

You will have lots of fun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a quick run down for anyone interested in this class. If you have never been to Tiger Valley I would try to make it out there. It's a very well done range. I have not been to a range that offered long range, shooting positions, obstacles and the tower. JT taught our class. He is a very good instructor with lots of experience. This is the third class I have taken and it was as good or better than the others. The facility is way better than anything else I have experienced. There were six of us so the instructor/student ratio was great. This being my third class I finally got my gear worked out close to the way I want. It was a good shake it out to make sure what I have would actually work. I think I used about 100 rounds or so more than the class description required. Going from using an AR for two classes to an AK was a bitch. It took a good half day to even start becoming ok at manipulating the AK. We ran drills at 25, 100 and 200 and moving targets at the end of the first day. This is the first time I had a chance to shoot moving targets. And the first time I have had a chance to shoot my AK at more than 100 yards. The second day we got to shoot moving targets again. Ran more drills including shooting while moving. We then moved to using the obstacles for cover support etc. Again this is shooting I have never been able to try before. We shot from the mock helicopter body, walls, rooftop, windows, chain link fence etc. I shot from more different positions in this class than I had in the two previous classes. Then last we got to shoot from the tower. It was great to practice distance estimation and hold overs. I realized I can't gauge distance worth a damn. With JT calling the shots we were able to get hits far past what I ever thought I could with an AK and a unmagnified optic. There are photos from the class on the Tiger Valley site. You can check me out in my multicam/5.11 awesomeness .
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad you had a good time brother. I know I did. Always makes for a better class when the people attending listen and apply what your "throwing down". At the end of the class, shooters were making the times and accuracy 300 yards to contact distances of what you would expect with the M4. With that said, I'll take my M4 over the AK any day of the week, but if you own a AK or if you are working in an environment where they are "laying around", better know how to run one. Here is a link to class photos. Next class is in April.
2015 November AK Class Pics
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#9]
That looks like a great experience!

I'm looking forward to April for the next class!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top