Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don't look happy, dude.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Added another doe to the freezer. 20yd shot. She ran about 30yd and died. I kind of screwed up and didn't wait for her to move her far side leg so that shoulder meat is pretty jacked up.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/IMG_4094_zpsfvfd4ffi.jpg

You don't look happy, dude.

Really? I thought that was his happy face.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
As OP of this thread I must say you guys are a bunch of fucking jerks!
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#5]
My 16 year old daughter has been going with me for a few years but she shot a hog and a doe this year.

I am not to much into posting picks anymore but she shot the hog in the head at 120 yards and she shot the doe right behind the shoulder and killed it DRT

I am proud of her she had never shot the deer rifle before but has shot 22 and ar.

I told her to aim for the head on the hog right behind the eye,  take two breaths and let half the second one out, and lightly squeeze the trigger with the tip of her finger, and she took my 6mm Remington and hit that hog two inches behind the eye.

We made a 10 gallon pot of hog chilli that had about 35 pounds of hog meat and 3 pounds of bacon and she was proud that she supplied the meat.

do gold members have some way to host pics here?

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 16 year old daughter has been going with me for a few years but she shot a hog and a doe this year.

I am not to much into posting picks anymore but she shot the hog in the head at 120 yards and she shot the doe right behind the shoulder and killed it DRT

I am proud of her she had never shot the deer rifle before but has shot 22 and ar.

I told her to aim for the head on the hog right behind the eye,  take two breaths and let half the second one out, and lightly squeeze the trigger with the tip of her finger, and she took my 6mm Remington and hit that hog two inches behind the eye.

We made a 10 gallon pot of hog chilli that had about 35 pounds of hog meat and 3 pounds of bacon and she was proud that she supplied the meat.

View Quote

Way to go young lady!
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're not my supervisor.

Wanna kill something next week?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to ask the bossman. I'm not sure how much moving were are gonna be doing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Between holiday stuff I managed to process my latest doe.

5lbs of breakfast sausage
5lbs of maple breakfast sausage
15lbs of bacon burger
10lbs of sausage grind for links later
2 roasts
a bunch of steaks
backstrap and tenders.

and a couple of pounds of dog food.

I'm wore out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

15lbs of bacon burger
2 roasts
a bunch of steaks
backstrap and tenders.

I'm wore out.
View Quote

#1stworldproblems

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

15lbs of bacon burger

2 roasts

a bunch of steaks

backstrap and tenders.

I'm wore out.
View Quote
So New Years party at your place?

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

15lbs of bacon burger
2 roasts
a bunch of steaks
backstrap and tenders.

I'm wore out.

I'll be hunting. Need a couple of hogs and hopefully a turkey......and one more deer. Oh and it's dove season again.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I usually sit out at least once a day for scouting, I left the ranch for the first time since Thanksgiving on Christmas morning.  I am Jonesing to get out their tomorrow and see some animals.  I hate towns, I hate people nor do I understand them but animals I understand.  I had to travel  to the in-laws through dense fog to get to Boerne from the RGV and I hated every minute of the drive (I kept waiting for deer and DPS to jump out in front of me.).  I cannot wait to get out there again in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I usually sit out at least once a day for scouting, I left the ranch for the first time since Thanksgiving on Christmas morning.  I am Jonesing to get out their tomorrow and see some animals.  I hate towns, I hate people nor do I understand them but animals I understand.  I had to travel  to the in-laws through dense fog to get to Boerne from the RGV and I hated every minute of the drive (I kept waiting for deer and DPS to jump out in front of me.).  I cannot wait to get out there again in the morning.
View Quote

That's how I feel. Whenever I leave the ranch I can feel my mood change for the worse the closer to Fort Worth I get. I only feel at peace in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Saw this guy today out for a morning walk.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#19]
So I keep reading about how the 5.55/223 is no good for killing anything other than paper and squirrels. Makes me wonder if I should fess up and admit that I've been lying all these years and really using a 300 winmag. It's all been a farce.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I did ok this season.  2 bucks and 2 does.  No hogs.  I need to make a resolution to kill hogs in 2016.

....dont tell my now 14 year old daughter that a 223 wont kill deer.  She has been neck shooting bucks for 5 years now....
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So I keep reading about how the 5.55/223 is no good for killing anything other than paper and squirrels. Makes me wonder if I should fess up and admit that I've been lying all these years and really using a 300 winmag. It's all been a farce.
View Quote

Easy now.

No need to fuck up your own thread.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Easy now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy now.

I'm sober tonight. Cheap whiskey makes me angry sometimes.,,,,well that and stupid people so arfcom+whiskey=me pissed off.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm sober tonight. Cheap whiskey makes me angry sometimes.,,,,well that and stupid people so arfcom+whiskey=me pissed off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy now.

So that's why you're always pissed off when I'm around.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy now.

it all makes sense now!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You must be reading the thread on THF
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a doozie! It gets talked about a lot here though too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Was off work Thursday and Friday so I got to spend 4 days at the lease, man it was nice even though it rained...  Got one doe on Thursday, she was quartering to me so I shot her in the chest and it exited behind her left shoulder, breaking 4-5 ribs on the way out but leaving both shoulders and most the rib meat perfectly intact.  Let her hang in the cold for a couple days then quartered her up on Saturday, got a ton of meat off of her.  

Our last weekend on the lease for this year went out with a whimper for me, sat one of our highest traffic stands and didn't see a thing on Sunday morning but the sunrise was gorgeous and the weather was nice.  We ended up with close to 30 hogs shot on the year, with me taking down 8...  I know we aren't even keeping up but the war continues.

See you guys in the official 2016 hunting season thread.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Should OP just update the title for the following years? I hunt all year 'round. There's seasons between now and deer obviously. Plus you can hunt hogs and most varmits throughout the year!
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Should OP just update the title for the following years? I hunt all year 'round. There's seasons between now and deer obviously. Plus you can hunt hogs and most varmits throughout the year!
View Quote

It would have to be updated on a semi weekly basis or would be archived. I think this is the second year I've done this thread but I hold no monopoly over it. If someone starts another one next year I'm ok with it. Hell, I may not even be on the forum next season.

Oh and some of us will still be deer hunting until Feb.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#31]
First buck a forky @ 165 yds. bang/flop with my old Ruger .280. Now that I have a start on meat, the fun begins:

For some reason javelinas to the deer around here must be synonymous with grizzly bears. Maybe it's because they're very rare up here. At any rate, when the little bunch of four approach my feeder, the deer scatter as though Satan himself were approaching. I run them off, and they're back in 10 minutes. I was just in a bad mood last Thursday morning, so....

45 yards and right through the lungs.

Yesterday, last morning of season, the spike I've been waiting for finally showed up.

48 yards. I hit him high in the shoulders and he dropped on the spot. There's nothing quite as gratifying as making ones own bullets, loading the ammunition oneself, then whacking game with it, The bullet performaing these nefarious deeds:

...made entirely of wheelweights.

Shooting deer with a revolver & cartridge designed 140+ years ago sort of takes the fun out of shooting them with a scoped rifle...

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#32]
If anyone knows of a lease towards the Hill Country for next season please let me know. My son (30 yr.) and I are looking.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I just dropped a nice doe off at the processor. It makes me feel better having another deer in the freezer. This one's even full sized.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:18:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It would have to be updated on a semi weekly basis or would be archived. I think this is the second year I've done this thread but I hold no monopoly over it. If someone starts another one next year I'm ok with it. Hell, I may not even be on the forum next season.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

February, crap don't remind me I would like to go hunting for myself before general season is over at some point in time this year or have time to take the kids to get them a deer.  I shouldn't complain though it has been a very successful season with hunters this year lots of nice deer have been taken.  Here are just a few of them.

It is ironic that this guy was caught on camera because he later showed up at camp and was carrying drugs and tried to pull a knife on the BP Agent that picked him up.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:51:14 AM EDT
[#35]
do out-of-state hunts count?
my 3 Texas hunting buddies and I each filled our elk tags this week...
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you getting full pass through with your .223. I'm using 64 gr power points and while it kills the deer quickly, the bullet is usually not exiting the far side. The lack of exit hole is preventing a good blood trail when they run. I was pretty worried about a lost deer when I shot my doe last week. She only went ~30 yds but left 0 blod trail.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Are you getting full pass through with your .223. I'm using 64 gr power points and while it kills the deer quickly, the bullet is usually not exiting the far side. The lack of exit hole is preventing a good blood trail when they run. I was pretty worried about a lost deer when I shot my doe last week. She only went ~30 yds but left 0 blod trail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, with every deer but one that was a front on shot. Try different ammo. My favorite is any kind of MK262 clone but I've also used 75gr TAP, PPU 75gr match, Fusion 62gr and something else that escapes me right now.

I was least happy with the Fusion as it left very little blood trail but I watched the deer die within 20yds of the shot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Aren't those 75 gr rounds non expanding match bullets?

Have you tried any of the Barnes bullets. I reload so I'm not worried about finding factory loaded ammo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Post pics please. Elk hunting is my dream.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Aren't those 75 gr rounds non expanding match bullets?

Have you tried any of the Barnes bullets. I reload so I'm not worried about finding factory loaded ammo.
View Quote

Yes, though I can't really say what they actually do other than cause a lot of internal damage and pass through every time. There are many people who say not to use the 77gr SMK's but then there are a lot of us who use them with excellent results. I, being a practical and rational guy rely on real world result vs theory from people will no experience.

Just the other day in the hog hunting forum a guy said he wouldn't use 223 because it was too small, in the same post he admitted his hog killing experience was the large number of three. These are the people that argue with guys like me whom have killed hundreds of animals with various calibers and loadings.

Haven't used any of the Barnes bullets since I'm Jewish and they are too spendy for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry I didn't mean for other to sound like I was questioning your experience.

It looks like I'll have to pick up some of the Sierra 77s with cannelure and try cloning the mk262. I'll feel a lot better with full pass through.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sorry I didn't mean for other to sound like I was questioning your experience.

It looks like I'll have to pick up some of the Sierra 77s with cannelure and try cloning the mk262. I'll feel a lot better with full pass through.
View Quote

Oh no, I didn't think you were at all. Just wanted you to be aware of what you might read from the experts here.

There is a really good thread in the deer hunting section dedicated to the 223/5.56 with lots of reviews.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't give much thought to experts that say 223 is to small for deer since I've been using it exclusively for 4 years and have yet to loose one. He'll my first year is used 55 gr Hornady soft points and killed two doe.

I'm just looking for something with better penetration then the winchester 64 gr pp.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh, c'mon, all the ex spurts know that the 223 won't kill a deer or hog, just ask the 80 deer and probably 150 hogs  I shot and killed with it.
I've been using the 223 since about '84, and all but one was a DRT,, I neck shoot only.
ETA, I use the Hornady 55 gr SP and all deer have been complete pass throughs, even most of the hogs
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

each of us got our elk, and the 2 who drove brought back all the meat in a chilled trailer to our processor in north Texas
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:50:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Congratulations. Elk hunting sort of took all the fun out of deer hunting for me. Most people who have never ridden a horse or mule 11,000' above sea level, skinned, quartered, and packed a 700-800 lb animal just don't understand.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really the lack of a blood trail is due to a tiny bullet. But if your deer are running no further than 30 yards they should be easy to find and a blood trail irrelevant.

My father killed his first buck back in the '40's with a .22 LR. I killed my first deer with a .222 Remington and a 50 gr. factory SP and one of my old uncles used the same cartridge and load to kill God only knows how many whitetails. For years Dad used a .222 Rem. Mag and handloaded 60 gr. Hornady SP's. Deer aren't made of steel and the .223, or any other .22 CF, isn't some magic killing cartridge. So many hunters  in Texas sit over feeders that are at relatively close range (<100 yds.) and have plenty of time to pick their shots so a large cartridge isnt really needed. At such short ranges if you put most any bullet through the lungs, the animal will assume ambient temperature.

As stated, my first buck this season was 165 yds. away when I took him and he was quartering towards me which required an angling shot through the shoulder. That's the sort of instance when the .22's become iffy, in my experience. Even with a good controlled expansion bullet penetration lacks due to the relatively small lightweight bullets.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:33:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Im jealous. Got my liscense last year but have dont have a place to go. Or anyone to show me the ropes. One of these days im just going to have to pay up for one of those weekend trips and hope they have the patience for noobs. Lol.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm jealous. Got my liscense last year but have don't have a place to go. Or anyone to show me the ropes. One of these days I'm just going to have to pay up for one of those weekend trips and hope they have the patience for noobs. Lol.
View Quote

what do you want to hunt?

how new are you?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#50]
New as in never shot anything bigger than a vandalism prone raccoon after we moved in to this new house. Lots of cans, paper plates,  birds, snakes,and squirrels as a kid. And god willing the coyote that keeps coming through my property. Father in law tried once but we never saw anything shootable the whole weekend we were there and now he has lost his lease.

I think hog hunting looks the most fun since I am not into deer meat much. As much as anything I would like to try just to be able to say I gave it a shot even if it turns out it's not for me.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top