Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2015 12:25:27 PM EDT
Or 3.5 billion, depends on who is counting I suppose. Comes to over $1,400 per resident to make it solvent.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/2015/09/28/houstons-debt-could-lead-city-on-path-to-financial-ruin/73013796/
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Or 3.5 billion, depends on who is counting I suppose. Comes to over $1,400 per resident to make it solvent.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/2015/09/28/houstons-debt-could-lead-city-on-path-to-financial-ruin/73013796/
View Quote

Damn, the mafia did some serious skimming of that pension fund!
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope another example of liberal policies.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Major reason the FD pension is private from what I understand, city can't touch it
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Major reason the FD pension is private from what I understand, city can't touch it
View Quote

The city's fund is guaranteed by the state constitution.  Tax payers somewhere will have to answer for it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Vince
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

Actually that's the cause...   liberals and their union buddies aka "the mob" are the ones who weasel their way into pension management like that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The city's fund is guaranteed by the state constitution.  Tax payers somewhere will have to answer for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the city had its own in house pension plan
I don't think they are on TMRS. Would they still have protection if it's all in house? It should just be the Houston taxpayers on the hook. I don't think the state will help in this situation, I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't think they are on TMRS. Would they still have protection if it's all in house? It should just be the Houston taxpayers on the hook. I don't think the state will help in this situation, I could be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's correct, I just know for sure about the FD having private, non city connected pension that they control because of the guys I have worked with at p/t gigs over the years. Someone at some point had enough forethought to see what would happen and insulated them from it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Shocked.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if it's TMRS or not. Back in the 1990's an amendment to the Texas Constitution was added to protect the benefits in public pension plan. So any benefits earned are guaranteed by law. However, it will be only Houston taxpayers on the hook (unless the city declares bankruptcy) for shortfalls in the pension.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Shit, I thought the democrats were in charge of the city since before 2000?  ??
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Vince

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vince

San Antonio is chasing the same rabbit down the hole, and no one going to do a damn thing.  Glad I don't live in San Antonio in more.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you go from in the black to in the red by $5 Billion in 15 years.

1.  Elect a liberal, former police union head, former police chief, as Mayor for 3 straight terms, Lee Brown.  By 2001 union employees got more money to retire early than to go to work each day, that s a no-brainer.  Begin underfunding.

2.  Elect a multi-millionaire bleeding heart liberal  Mayor for 3 straight terms, Bill White.  Continue underfunding and toss in some more bleeding heart liberal causes to raid the coffers surreptitiously.

3.  Elect a lesbian, bleeding heart liberal Mayor for 3 straight terms, Annise Parker.  Former multi-term city council member and 3 term City Controller who worked with Bill White, but "surprised" at the city's finances after she was elected Mayor. That's 6 years of fiduciary duty signed off on prior to being elected Mayor, hilarious news conference ensued.

That's 17+ years of Houston history where we have been booming economically.  But its always easier for politicians to make promises for the future generations to pay for than to actually fund their needs now.

And those 9 elections were not really close.

Hking

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Shocked.
View Quote

This,  too many over paid, over pensioned employees who do nothing...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

1.  Elect a liberal, former police union head, former police chief, as Mayor for 3 straight terms, Lee Brown.  By 2001 union employees got more money to retire early than to go to work each day, that s a no-brainer.  Begin underfunding.

2.  Elect a multi-millionaire bleeding heart liberal  Mayor for 3 straight terms, Bill White.  Continue underfunding and toss in some more bleeding heart liberal causes to raid the coffers surreptitiously.

3.  Elect a lesbian, bleeding heart liberal Mayor for 3 straight terms, Annise Parker.  Former multi-term city council member and 3 term City Controller who worked with Bill White, but "surprised" at the city's finances after she was elected Mayor. That's 6 years of fiduciary duty signed off on prior to being elected Mayor, hilarious news conference ensued.

That's 17+ years of Houston history where we have been booming economically.  But its always easier for politicians to make promises for the future generations to pay for than to actually fund their needs now.

Hking

View Quote

I couldn't have said it better. This is hardly a surprise to the City and the unions have been asking them to pay up for years. They've been kicking the can forward since the 90's and now they want to cry about it. Meanwhile the PD is still 2500 officers short, has a shitty fleet and aging buildings. A 55% pension based on your last three year avg isn't anything to write home about.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#15]
conservative running for city council at large position 1.  
Feel free to contribute to get this guy elected to council. I heard him speak recently and he wants to specifically address the pension system.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I say we need to get advertising on the HPD uniforms and cruisers, its good enough for the school buses.

"Valdez Es Coming Muffler Shop:  Detras Los Blue" or maybe  "Wataburguesas:  Because Ur Special Too"  

Hking

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#17]
A lot of these jobs are 20 years and a full retirement. some with health care.

This was somewhat ok when municipal employees got paid little to nothing  and health care was cheap but somehow they have gotten their wage up beyond the private sector and  as we say shitting in tall cotton and wiping with the top leaf.

People are living much longer and need to work longer.

From a small business owner the thought of working 20 years and out is a  fantasy dream.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's the cause of the problem:

2010–        Annise Parker
2004–2010Bill White
1998–2004Lee Brown
1992–1998Bob Lanier
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope to god those cock suckers Garcia or Turner don't get elected.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hking

View Quote

Yay, more free shit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This was somewhat ok when municipal employees got paid little to nothing  and health care was cheap but somehow they have gotten their wage up beyond the private sector and  as we say shitting in tall cotton and wiping with the top leaf.

From a small business owner the thought of working 20 years and out is a  fantasy dream.
View Quote

It's  %55 of your highest three year average.There is no health care unless you pay full price for it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#22]
HPD maxed out was 80% at 25 years, 10.25 employee contribution.  7% got you 65% of salary.  Vested after 10 years, led to double dipping, retire elsewhere, come in do 10 years, turn 55 and you got another check for as low as 2.5 employee contribution.  At one time the legislature was going to look into it, no idea what ever happened.

HPD get medical, dental, vision subsidized by the city.

Hking
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

DBP are Ponzi schemes doomed to fail. But they get you re-elected everytime.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
HPD maxed out was 80% at 25 years, 10.25 employee contribution.  7% got you 65% of salary.  Vested after 10 years, led to double dipping, retire elsewhere, come in do 10 years, turn 55 and you got another check for as low as 2.5 employee contribution.  At one time the legislature was going to look into it, no idea what ever happened.

HPD get medical, dental, vision subsidized by the city.

Hking
View Quote

When was this?  I've been there 14 years and this definitely isn't the current contract.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Andre3k,  those max #'s would have been from the Brown administration into the White administration.  Think of it as a golden parachute for the folks who were in HPD during Brown's tenure as chief from 82-90.  Why you are not seeing those kind of #'s now, see the Ron Green quote about "belt tightening" and the long term.  With 25c of every $ going to legacy costs the tightening will only get worse.  These #'s have been known, as the article states, since 03 at least and the city still underfunded what should have been put into those funds.  IIRC, the city was putting 23-24% but needed to be putting in 28-29% per year, if you are underfunding 5% for year after year those #'s really add up, no matter what you are paying out.  There was once a website(city or union, I don't recall?) up, long since disappeared, where one could run the #'s and bear witness to what was heading our way.  It's interesting to me  that we only get such articles around election times and that the article only talks about pension plans and not about the overall city budget.

Regards,
Hking

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top