Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 10:20:41 PM EDT
I'm not affiliated with Kountry Boy's.

I got a free sample from an Old Timer ( from Brenham, Texas ) at Wallyworld.  Too bad HEB doesn't have it.

I was floored - This is best sausage I ever had.  I think they smoke it with oak, use pork casing, and very little fat.

It's fully cooked, super quick if you want a microwave breakfast on a hotdog bun in 2.5 minutes.

Jalapeno is HOT ( not for little kids or Yankees ).

Pico De Gallo - Outstanding flavor.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Before I take your word for hot.
Where are you from?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]

If your from Brenham just drive over to Snook and get some sausage from Slovaceks.
I have been having jalapeño cheese and straight jalapeño venison sausage made there for 30 years and have had everyone I have ever fed it to tell me it's the best sasuage they have ever eaten.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Kountry Boys is pretty good sausage.  I usually buy it at Sam's Club.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm that guy I guess .  Always thought it was mediocre
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before I take your word for hot.
Where are you from?
View Quote

Texas

It's not HOT HOT.  But it's too hot for little kids n' Yankees.  
It's about like taking a little bite of jalapeno with each bite of sausage.

What I do like is that it doesn't seem to have any gristle in it.... also very low fat.

They make dried sausage snack too - but I haven't tried em' yet.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#6]
They had kountry boy on sale at Brookshires a couple of weeks ago, buy one, get one for a penny. I got the regular and I must say I'm impressed.

I had a tooth pulled and a metal implant put in last week at the dentist. I'm not chewing well, so I pulled the casing off the sausage, chopped it up and added it to some thick cheese grits, made a good breakfast.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#7]
You should consult with Zhukov before making sausage decisions.

mm
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Best sausage I've found is made by Polloks in Falls City.  Good flavor and texture.  It's found in the fresh meat cases since it's fresh/uncooked in some HEB's around the San Antonio area. Unfortunately they don't have it up here so whenever I'm down in the SA area or Pleasanton area at my friends place I stock up.  They have the wedding sausage, jalapeno/cheese, and garlic which is good for italian dishes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Best sausage I've had has been the custom stuff made for PoK-e-Jo's in Austin.  Anyone know who makes it for them?  I need to remember to ask them next time I visit.  Maybe they'll tell me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I should have just Google'd it.  Here is a story in the Austin Chronicle that tells who makes sausage for who in the Austin area.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I should have just Google'd it.  Here is a story in the Austin Chronicle that tells who makes sausage for who in the Austin area.
View Quote

Great link, Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They had kountry boy on sale at Brookshires a couple of weeks ago, buy one, get one for a penny. I got the regular and I must say I'm impressed.

I had a tooth pulled and a metal implant put in last week at the dentist. I'm not chewing well, so I pulled the casing off the sausage, chopped it up and added it to some thick cheese grits, made a good breakfast.
View Quote

That sounds pretty good.  I think my favorite is the Jalapeno flavor with cold sauerkraut.  
I like Pico De Gallo on the grill.

If I microwave it, I usually peel the casing off.  Believe it or not, it's not rubbery like you'd think.

I pickled a jar of the Jalapeno flavor, and added more jalapenos.  
The vinegar pulls the original flavor out.  It wasn't a " FAIL "  but I won't do it again.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Great link, Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great link, Thanks

It is good, but far from comprehensive.  I know a lot of BBQ places around the area get their sausage ground by Taylor Meat Co. or Westphalia Market.  Both of those do custom grinds.  Westphalia has a retail market in Hutto, Taylor Meat is mostly all wholesale to restaurants as far as I know.  Other places to check out would be Southside and Meyer's in Elgin, both of those BBQ places grind their own and you can buy it in stores...  Opa's out of Fredericksburg is pretty good sausage too.

Yes...  I'm German...  Ich bin Wurstelhund!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not affiliated with Kountry Boy's.

I got a free sample from an Old Timer ( from Brenham, Texas ) at Wallyworld.  Too bad HEB doesn't have it.

I was floored - This is best sausage I ever had.  I think they smoke it with oak, use pork casing, and very little fat.

It's fully cooked, super quick if you want a microwave breakfast on a hotdog bun in 2.5 minutes.

Jalapeno is HOT ( not for little kids or Yankees ).

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-e799/k2-_d5018e97-9c76-429a-8900-ebf10e4e9bde.v1.jpg

Pico De Gallo - Outstanding flavor.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-73a7/k2-_58c366a9-34ae-4d39-a270-fa03fb8406d0.v1.jpg
View Quote

I am pretty sure I have seen it at HEB (either Temple or Taylor).  Every HEB seems to have a different sausage selection.  
It is ok, but nothing special in my opinion.  If you are near the Temple area, Green's Sausage House has good jalapeño and cheese sausage.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Correction to the post above.

Green's Sausage House is in Zabzikville.  Temple is near Zabzikville.

Knew a lot of Zabziks when I was growing up in Bell County.  Not far from there is the largest (until recently) all wooden church wests of the Missippi.  Even held together with wooden pegs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I used Temple because I doubted very many people would know where Zabcikville was located
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Opa's jalapeño and cheese is pretty tasty as well. Made in Fredricksburg I think.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Nothing like a sausage thread to get the TX forum booming.  

I really like Meyers sausage.   I know this is very Un-Texan but the Chicken Apple Gouda sausage at HEB is really good.

Bash me if you must.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Tallent Sausage and meat market in Riverside (in between Huntsville and Trinity) has good sausage. For store bought, we usually buy Chappell Hill.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like you should have taken that mix, dumped in a casserole dish covered it with cheese and baked it a bit.x
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Luling/thread
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Opa's jalapeño and cheese is pretty tasty as well. Made in Fredricksburg I think.
View Quote

I agree. Took a weekend trip to Fredricksburg a while back and sampled their sausage. Ended up buying about 15 pounds and freezing some of it. Still have a little bit left but the wife says wen we run out we have to make another run.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Meh, there's some guys down the road from me who make a pretty good sausage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was going to ask OP if he's had Opa's and how he would compare.

I love Opa's sausage.  I get some stuff out of Krebbs, OK at the Lovera Grocer that is top notch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Black's.

All else is doo doo
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Elgin hot gut
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#27]
The venison one they make and sell at sams is really good too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I agree. Took a weekend trip to Fredricksburg a while back and sampled their sausage. Ended up buying about 15 pounds and freezing some of it. Still have a little bit left but the wife says wen we run out we have to make another run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure you can order from Opa.
http://www.opassmokedmeats.com/shop/category/sausage
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Elgin hot gut
View Quote

Indeed!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some H-E-Bs sell Opa's...
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah forgot about that. I've bought it at our HEB in Kyle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Black's.

All else is doo doo
View Quote

Agreed. Black's is by far the best sausage I've had. Better than Luling, better than Chappel Hill, better than Kountry Boys. It almost pisses me off to eat sausage anywhere else.

/no homo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top