Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 2:52:02 PM EDT
It's hard to believe that I've been here for just over a decade. I moved here at the end of March in 2005 and now it's the beginning of Septemer 2015.  

Since then I have been through one back surgery, two jobs, four apartments, three cars, 11 summers, a couple dozen earthquakes, a few dozen cases of ammo and an countless cases of beer. I earned an Associates degree here and I'm on my second dog. I also buried my father here at the National Cemetary south of Dallas. I've been to Crowell, Austin, Waco, Houston and Dublin several times each. I've been to two weddings, one funeral, a couple dozen Rangers games, three Astros games and one State Fair. I've voted for two Governors and two failed presidential candidates. I shot a machine gun for the first time (thanks Nationwide!), I learned how to build an AR-15 (thanks FALARAK!), and how to fight with a carbine, shotgun and handgun (thanks MADUCE!).  "Y'all"  "Ma'am/Sir" and "fixin' to" have unconsciously become parts of my vocabulary. I've must have met 100 of you, broke bread with dozens of you and made friends with many of you.

I still haven't been to a Cowboy's game, still haven't seen a tornado, The Alamo, west Texas or been to the McDonald observatory. I guess I'll do those things and a lot more over the next 10 years. I hope they'll be as fun and rewarding as the last 10 have been.

God Bless Texas!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Glad to see your enjoying it for the most part.
Its a great place full of good people.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you made application for your Texas Citizenship yet?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I was told I couldn't have a Texas Citizen card as I am not at least a third generation Texan.

OP, you don't want to see a tornado.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, scary shit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was told I couldn't have a Texas Citizen card as I am not at least a third generation Texan.
View Quote

Any jackass that tells you that....ask him if he considers these guys as Texans:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alamo_defenders

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Any jackass that tells you that....ask him if he considers these guys as Texans:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alamo_defenders
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dying for the Republic is an automatic path to gaining Texas citizenship.    Go troll somewhere else.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dying for the Republic is an automatic path to gaining Texas citizenship.    Go troll somewhere else.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you Captain Obvious.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So I ASSume you sold your big Lincoln or Continental?
View Quote

I did. Now I am just driving a Charger.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]
hell, another 10 and folks will stop mistaking you for a Yankee.

congrats from a 40 year infiltrator..I have 5 anchor babies to keep me secure in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's hard to believe that I've been here for just over a decade. I moved here at the end of March in 2005 and now it's the beginning of Septemer 2015.  

Since then I have been through one back surgery, two jobs, four apartments, three cars, 11 summers, a couple dozen earthquakes, a few dozen cases of ammo and an countless cases of beer. I earned an Associates degree here and I'm on my second dog. I also buried my father here at the National Cemetary south of Dallas. I've been to Crowell, Austin, Waco, Houston and Dublin several times each. I've been to two weddings, one funeral, a couple dozen Rangers games, three Astros games and one State Fair. I've voted for two Governors and two failed presidential candidates. I shot a machine gun for the first time (thanks Nationwide!), I learned how to build an AR-15 (thanks FALARAK!), and how to fight with a carbine, shotgun and handgun (thanks MADUCE!).  "Y'all"  "Ma'am/Sir" and "fixin' to" have unconsciously become parts of my vocabulary. I've must have met 100 of you, broke bread with dozens of you and made friends with many of you.

I still haven't been to a Cowboy's game, still haven't seen a tornado, The Alamo, west Texas or been to the McDonald observatory. I guess I'll do those things and a lot more over the next 10 years. I hope they'll be as fun and rewarding as the last 10 have been.

God Bless Texas!

View Quote

I got you by 4 years.  But I've noticed a change in the nearly 15 years for me.

A lot of people moving here are bringing their nonsense with them.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to Galveston, port aransas, corpus and south padre.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God Bless Texas!

That's the problem native Texans have with most outsiders.
They move here because WE made it so awesome and they get here and want to change it.
They are like parasites moving from 1 host to the other.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go to Galveston, port aransas, corpus and south padre.
View Quote

agreed sounds like you haven't seen the coastal areas.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#15]
you need to get your ass to the Alamo/Menger/riverwalk for sure
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.

That should be first!!!!!

Next, you should tube down the Guadalupe (If that is still done--water levels etc. ).  I lived in San Marcos in the 90s. I loved tubing down that river with a cooler of beer.

Also, go to the Chillimpiad.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They move here because WE made it so awesome and they get here and want to change it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God Bless Texas!

Yes don't be an outsider be a TEXAN
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yep.

Next, you should tube down the Guadalupe (If that is still done--water levels etc. ).  I lived in San Marcos in the 90s. I loved tubing down that river with a cooler of beer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

I'm afraid I'll get one of those brain eating microbes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#19]
when you go to west texas,,do a star party at McDonald Observatory (check their website),

go buy some pointy toe boots at an outlet in el paso,

and go swimmin' at Balmorhea St. park,,,

then surf fishing ANYWHERE on the coast.

that's a good start,,,,,,
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#20]
You should visit Enchanted Rock.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife is 3rd Gen and no sir I do not wish to see Tornado
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#22]
In ten years you've never been to a Dallas Stars game? For shame.
(Hey, it's one of the few sports where the stands are air conditioned!)

Coming up fast on twenty years myself. For the first ten I never considered Texas home. I couldn't see calling any other state home now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

It is. I just did it last month.

Water levels are still up from all the rain in May. 316 cubic ft per second when I was there. They're actually using parts of the river they haven't used in years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey Steve, you did the first Bug Out Drill didn't you? I think I have a picture of you alone, or you and me together, in a file somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

Guadalupe moves too fast and is too cold for those things to really be a factor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Doing the math after reading this thread I realized I've been here for 25 years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Hey Steve, you did the first Bug Out Drill didn't you? I think I have a picture of you alone, or you and me together, in a file somewhere.
View Quote

I did do that bug out drill, well two laps anyway.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Doing the math after reading this thread I realized I've been here for 25 years.
View Quote

41 years here.................and i'm ready to GTFO !

After the end of the year, i'm selling my house and going back to S.E.Texas.
Where i belong .    

ETA:
I meant out of DFW, i'm a 5th gen. Texan.........just real tired of big cities.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember that car!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No more Z either?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No clue how I go a dbl tap
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
No more Z either?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No more Z either?

Nope. Traded that in for the Charger.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:07:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Native born, but been ex-pat in KY for the last 13 years. We just moved back and into our new house in Spring last week, put the new TX license plates on my truck today. I missed being here, badly, and finally got a belly full of being north of Dallas.

Winter. They can keep it. If it lasts more than 4 weeks in Feb., I want no part of it.

Heartily glad to be back home!
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Guadalupe moves too fast and is too cold for those things to really be a factor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

I can verify that it is cold as a mutherfucker

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#35]

god bless texas!
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tour the Menger, but don't stay there!  It is a grand historic site...If it had been around in 1836, Santa Anna would have still slept in a tent.  Seriously, there are several other hotels, in historic building along the River Walk, that have heating and air conditioning that really work.  Do San Antonio in the spring or fall...it makes a great couples getaway weekend, but its too damn hot to enjoy the River Walk in the summer...even at night.

Do the TX coast, especially Galveston and South Padre Island.  Remember that our coast has a built in heater.  The February water temp at Padre is about the same as the August temps for the northern half of the California coast.  

See the Battleship Texas.  Go to a few high school football games and spend a fall Saturday in Kyle Field.

You should go to West Texas...but schedule a trip to Carlsbad Caverns, so you don't feel like you have wasted  your time and gas.

You've got to float the Comal and spend some time in the Hill Country.

After all that is done, you can apply for provisional citizenship .
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I was just talking about the bar
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

AH! NOW we're on the same page!

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Listen to the josh abbott bands song "My Texas". It's a good starter list of things you have to do while in Texas. We knocked a couple off the list on our vacation this week.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I was worried about you for a while.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top