BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/14/2015 10:31:59 AM EDT
Almost time!

Everyone ready?

I hear the dove population is projected to be huge.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Dove are everywhere at the moment. This time of year they can be seen on every tree, light pole and fenceline. Couple weeks from now they all vanish!
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dove are everywhere at the moment. This time of year they can be seen on every tree, light pole and fenceline. Couple weeks from now they all vanish!
View Quote

This will be my first season ever to get to hunt on opening day.  I'm excited.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#3]
First year dove hunting for me.  Saw a metric ton of them flying around yesterday, hopefully we can keep them coming in for a couple more weeks still.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Dove are scarce in my part of the country, hope they show up soon...
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where will you be hunting?  Have you scouted the area?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dove are scarce in my part of the country, hope they show up soon...
View Quote

Ummmm, that aint good.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
This is how I picture it.

Although, it never works that way.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be hunting Texas doves for the first time. I'm used to tiny ND and AL doves. I was planning to use my 20 gauge Browning Auto 5 with improved cylinder. What shot sizes do you guys use?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm hoping my Salvo 12 will be approved and in hand by opening day of South Zone
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll be hunting Texas doves for the first time. I'm used to tiny ND and AL doves. I was planning to use my 20 gauge Browning Auto 5 with improved cylinder. What shot sizes do you guys use?
View Quote

7 1/2", although I use a 12ga.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]
an ounce of #8 or #8.5 from a 12 is what I use.

Tick Tock, Doves!

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Should I use my 12 to knock down these big ass white wings? The ones in my yard are HUGE to me.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Should I use my 12 to knock down these big ass white wings? The ones in my yard are HUGE to me.

View Quote

that'll do - but this will too:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winchester-aa-20-gauge-shotshells?repChildCatid=811914
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winchester-aa-20-gauge-shotshells?repChildCatid=811914

That's what I was thinking. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is how I picture it.

Although, it never works that way.  

http://www.thetribunepapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/dove-shooting-RS.jpg
View Quote

As a kid in the early 80s, I went whitewing hunting in the Rio Grande Valley with my grandfather and the doves were that thick. Just swarms of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AA's?  Too rich for my blood.

I use Remington Heavy Dove loads for 12GA.  Always have.  7.5's.

I got some RIO 20GA shells a couple years back, those things are HOT and they worked great using my wife's Beretta Urika 2 20GA.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Academy has winchester super x 12 gauge 1oz #8 flats on sale for $54.99
And motorized Mojo decoys are $29
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Are licenses on sale yet?

Pisses me off to have to pay the state to hunt on my own property.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree - that is some major BS.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saturday  is when you can get a license
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I can't wait!  We've got a little group of six going up near Wichita Falls where we've had really good luck the last few years and the land owner says there are tons of birds.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#23]
they are available today.  If you order online, you can get your sandhill crane permit in one go without having to make a call and wait for the additional stamp.  There is a $5 surcharge for going the online route vs local retailer.  

http://tpwd.texas.gov/business/licenses/online_sales/

ETA: that link doesn't work so well in Chrome / Firefox.  Here's where you end up:

https://www.txfgsales.com/
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
There is a $2/box rebate on AAs, so you can shoot the good stuff for about the same as the cheap rounds...of course, that doesn't help much if you can't hit shit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is a $2/box rebate on AAs, so you can shoot the good stuff for about the same as the cheap rounds...of course, that doesn't help much if you can't hit shit.
View Quote

That's what I am gonna stock up on.  

AA's for $6 is a no brainer.

10 cases at $60 a case after $100 rebate.  I probably should just order it online as my academy for sure wont have what I want in that qty.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

10 cases at $60 a case after $100 rebate.  I probably should just order it online as my academy for sure wont have what I want in that qty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I use 28 ga with 7.5 shot or 410 with 7.5 or 6 shot.  Ic on the 28, IM on the 410.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#28]

6 days!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#30]
How much are dove hunting leases going for these days?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my 5 cases at Achadamy
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#32]
If you have to ask, you cannot afford it.

Actually, there are a couple of day lease operations within driving range that get about $100/day for opening weekend.  Not terrible.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Actually, there are a couple of day lease operations within driving range that get about $100/day for opening weekend.  Not terrible.
View Quote

What is the bag limit on Doves?  $100 a day?  As small as those birds are they must give a mouth-gasm of flavor to be worth spending that.

I could afford it...  but I think I'd be happier going to Westphalia Market and buying a couple of the best steaks they have...  and probably still would have a bunch of $$$ left over.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What is the bag limit on Doves?  $100 a day?  As small as those birds are they must give a mouth-gasm of flavor to be worth spending that.

I could afford it...  but I think I'd be happier going to Westphalia Market and buying a couple of the best steaks they have...  and probably still would have a bunch of $$$ left over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In this day and age unless you are hunting for free it is indeed cheaper to buy meats vs hunt for them. The downside is you don't get to enjoy the outdoors while shooting tasty animals with guns that you spent money that would normally just sit in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunting isn't for everyone.

It is mostly for men.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's 35-50 a day in my area or around 200-250 for the season
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Can't wait for the season to start. I will probably go and buy my license after work. I just picked up a CZ712 a couple of months ago and it is a pretty nice shooter. I have a friend with some land in Collin County that I shoot on and will be going for dove. It'll be my first time dove hunting. I was there last season for duck since he has a pond on there that ducks will some times show up on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that seems much more reasonable, I could go for that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It is mostly for men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is mostly for men.

That isn't it...  If I'm going to pay that kind of money I'm going to want something that is more than a mouthful...  like a deer or a hog...

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Almost time!

Everyone ready?

I hear the dove population is projected to be huge.

View Quote

What part of Texas are you in?  Our place in Hunt County is pretty scarce this year.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are prices all over the map for day hunts.  There are a couple of areas near Waco and just North of Dallas that are well established flyways for the local white wing population.  Those are about the closest thing you will find to guaranteed dove shooting, without going to Argentina.  Its those areas that are getting the $100 a day.

And no, those little tidbits of meat are nowhere near worth the price. Its the experience and enjoyment of getting to sweat your ass off with a few of your best friends.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I concur.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur.

Well I was gonna invite you to go but forget it!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#46]
seems I got ahead of myself. Dove season starts in 9 more days.

I am not a big hunter, but I live for dove hunting... it is so much fun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I have never been dove hunting, and will be going on a hunt September 5th. Any advice for first time dove hunter?I have been pheasant hunting, but from what i hear, its a whole new ball game?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have never been dove hunting, and will be going on a hunt September 5th. Any advice for first time dove hunter?I have been pheasant hunting, but from what i hear, its a whole new ball game?
View Quote

buy a yeti, doves love yetis.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does seem to be a lot of gear whoring at the dove field from time to time, doesn't it?
Does no one shoot a plain old Rem 870 any more, or is it just me?
I guess the only way to get a bag limit is to own a $2,000 over/under.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It does seem to be a lot of gear whoring at the dove field from time to time, doesn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made a trade for a old 20ga 1200 Wingmaster last year that I'll be using for the first time. Before that, I used (very unsuccessfully) a 1200 Defender.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top