Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2015 10:09:18 PM EDT
I was recently in Alabama to see relatives.  I was in a couple Walmarts and other places.  Saw just a handful of people open carrying, I believe it is fairly new to them.  I never once saw ANY sign prohibiting any kind of carry.  Absolutely nobody freaked out about anybody open carrying(again it was only a handful of people doing so).

I will most likely never or hardly ever open carry, for my own reasons.  But I have been for that right all along.  

Just an observation, CSB, carry on thanks for stopping by.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Alabama has been OC forever as far as I know, but permit is needed for concealed carry or carry in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was recently in Alabama to see relatives.  I was in a couple Walmarts and other places.  Saw just a handful of people open carrying, I believe it is fairly new to them.  I never once saw ANY sign prohibiting any kind of carry.  Absolutely nobody freaked out about anybody open carrying(again it was only a handful of people doing so).

I will most likely never or hardly ever open carry, for my own reasons.  But I have been for that right all along.  

Just an observation, CSB, carry on thanks for stopping by.  
View Quote

Yes but in Texas with open carry up will be down, left will be right, whataburger's will be burnt and dogs will be friends with cats.........  Or several say so on this site.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Alabama has been OC forever as far as I know, but permit is needed for concealed carry or carry in a vehicle.
View Quote
Ok maybe I am mistaken.  Uncle stated some such.  Maybe I got it wrong.  I didn't research it.  I trusted in him.  I know I have never seen anybody open carry anywhere in any of the visits I have made there. This was the first time I saw it.  That means nothing though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Blood will flow in the streets... I'm not sure why, but I have been assured that it will.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ok maybe I am mistaken.  Uncle stated some such.  Maybe I got it wrong.  I didn't research it.  I trusted in him.  I know I have never seen anybody open carry anywhere in any of the visits I have made there. This was the first time I saw it.  That means nothing though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know when I was growing up out there, everyone thought you needed to get the permit, but I believe that was because LE (at least in St. Clair County) promoted the myth that OC was illegal and most folks didn't have any reason to question it. Very interesting to hear other residents had the same perception.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to live in New Mexico for 20 years and it was open carry the entire time. In the entire twenty years I saw only two or three people that were carrying that were not in the sticks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 45 years old

I remember being a little boy and seeing guys OC
(Jacksonville, Ala)

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Alabama hasn't had the influx of Californians & Yankees that Texas has experienced over the past 35 years.  Also, AL doesn't have as many urban areas nor ratio of related population (there's a reason for the marring cousins jokes).

Texas is a very unique state in that we support gun rights but insist they stay in our closets.  Just the idea of seeing a weapon in plain view freaks some of us out.  There will be ample gnashing of teeth by Jan 1 but it would be awesome seeing some guy walking down the street wearing a cowboy hat & his six shooter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Blood will flow in the streets... I'm not sure why, but I have been assured that it will.
View Quote

Yep, it will be "The Purge: OC Comes To Texas".

I barely survived all the shootouts over parking spaces back in 95 when CHL was enacted.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I lived in AZ for a handful of years and open carry was a thing.  No one blinked twice nor gave two shits as long as you weren't in a bar and getting hammered.

It's just like concealed carry IMO - there will be news articles for and against it for the first few months, and then everyone will carry on with their regularly scheduled lives. I can't wait for this to cease being a newsworthy topic for our area until 2017 when we go for constitutional carry.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Alabama hasn't had the influx of Californians & Yankees that Texas has experienced over the past 35 years.  Also, AL doesn't have as many urban areas nor ratio of related population (there's a reason for the marring cousins jokes).

Texas is a very unique state in that we support gun rights but insist they stay in our closets.  Just the idea of seeing a weapon in plain view freaks some of us out.  There will be ample gnashing of teeth by Jan 1 but it would be awesome seeing some guy walking down the street wearing a cowboy hat & his six shooter.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I THINK there will be a select few that will open carry simply because they can. There will be a few that open carry as part of their cowboy or tac operator costume that day. I hope people don't freak out. Should make for some good pics for  the People of Walmart website.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't expect any of that.

Just a lot more stupid in general.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You really missed the mark, most people from California left because high taxes, illegal aliens and B.S. gun laws. The people I've heard bitch and moan about open carry both here and on the radio are native Texans.

Remember Texas gave us LBJ the cock sucker that pushed through the '68 Gun Control Act. Even California had CHL before Texas, wasn't till the late 90's the dems FUCKED IT UP!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You really missed the mark, most people from California left because high taxes, illegal aliens and B.S. gun laws. The people I've heard bitch and moan about open carry both here and on the radio are native Texans.

Remember Texas gave us LBJ the cock sucker that pushed through the '68 Gun Control Act. Even California had CHL before Texas, wasn't till the late 90's the dems FUCKED IT UP!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I didn't miss the point about the influx of people moving to Texas for a better life only to try to tell us how to do things better and/or try to impose their values from where they grew up.  You might be originally from CA but I doubt most Californians share your views about unrestricted gun rights and don't think they left due solely to the gun laws - the other reasons I can confirm.  As a Native Texan, I also put blame on our culture and have no love for LBJ or what he stood for.  Facts are, many people here that claim to support gun rights are not very excited about seeing folks walking around strapped up.  Why do you think it took so long for TX to finally pass a restrictive OC?

Thankfully, you're one of the good guys which I'm glad chose to make Texas your home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, I didn't miss the point about the influx of people moving to Texas for a better life only to try to tell us how to do things better and/or try to impose their values from where they grew up.  You might be originally from CA but I doubt most Californians share your views about unrestricted gun rights and don't think they left due solely to the gun laws - the other reasons I can confirm.  As a Native Texan, I also put blame on our culture and have no love for LBJ or what he stood for.  Facts are, many people here that claim to support gun rights are not very excited about seeing folks walking around strapped up.  Why do you think it took so long for TX to finally pass a restrictive OC?

Thankfully, you're one of the good guys which I'm glad chose to make Texas your home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run into a lot of Californians that are big time into guns, seems like half the people I shoot with are from California. The only reason I even like a HGL is to bypass the NICS check.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Not making a blanket statement about Californians...But most of the ones I have run into(school functions, church, sporting events, general community) are people who escaped California for the fiscal conservatism.  Most have given me cross eyed looks when I invite them to shoot or ask if they partake.  I am well aware it would crazy to say that they are all that way.  But I have found it to be an area that has to be educated and explored because those I have spoken to still think guns are mostly taboo.  But I will say this, most that I have spoken to on the matter, once I have started my broaching of the subject, are like "well we are in Texas now, guess we will have to get used to it".

The one shocker I can remember was when my son was in elementary school we were at a school function.  His friends parents were from California.  Well when I bring up the subject to them the husband chimes in with "yea but we are from CA" his tiny little soccer mom wife replies, "But I grew up in the country and I shot everything, I am so glad to be in Texas now, will you teach my husband to shoot?"  Was not what I expected, I made several invites he always had a reason not to go.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Realize that being "Pro-Gun" in states like CA, NY, NJ, MA, etc is often "Anti-Gun" In Texas, AZ, etc.

Having talked to many of these folks over the years, many are still in favor of lots of gun control, from NICS, expanded prohibited persons, to carry permits, etc., and are downright hostile to things like machine guns, OC/ConstCarry, etc.

Easily ID'd by "I am pro-gun, but..."
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

I was disappointed when that didn't happen after concealed carry was re-legalized.

Just like then, we've been assured the same thing will happen with open carry and constitutional carry. The hand wringers can't be wrong again, can they?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was disappointed when that didn't happen after concealed carry was re-legalized.
Just like then, we've been assured the same thing will happen with open carry and constitutional carry. The hand wringers can't be wrong again, can they?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much agree with you on this.

Hoping that this will be a non-issue, just like having a chl is for the most part, in six to nine months after it goes into effect.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pretty much agree with you on this.

Hoping that this will be a non-issue, just like having a chl is for the most part, in six to nine months after it goes into effect.
View Quote

It'll settle out eventually, and most people won't even notice a guy OC'ing after the first year or two.  I'm mainly worried about the police response in places like Austin and Houston.  Especially at first, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull some shenanigans.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I am buying up as much kitty litter as I can afford trying to corner the market.  It will be in short supply to absorb all that blood that the media assures us will be knee high due to "open carry"

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#23]
It can also be used to absorb the urine running down the legs and puddling on the sidewalk, of libs the first time they see someone open carrying.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It can also be used to absorb the urine running down the legs and puddling on the sidewalk, of libs the first time they see someone open carrying.
View Quote

Damn, gonna get price gouged on the kitty litter, better stock up now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I never once saw ANY sign prohibiting any kind of carry.
View Quote

FWIW I passed through Alabama from Texas on the way to points east and then back, in May.  One of the gas stations I stopped at had a "No OC unless uniformed LE" on the door.  I didn't actually see anyone OC, but then most of my time in AL was either in my car or a hotel room.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kitty litter being neck bearded?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I barely survived all the shootouts over parking spaces back in 95 when CHL was enacted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They stopped in the '90s??? I killed a guy just last week. What, am I supposed to walk from the back of the parking lot? It's 100 degrees!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#28]
OC hit Mississippi in 2013. If those special people in Jackson didn't eat each other in the streets, I'm pretty sure Texas will be fine.

I used to run a probation company in MS. Everyone in the courts was sure it was going to be doom. Nothing happened.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That will be me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That will be me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will be me.

I'm trying to figure out how to finance this myself. Excellent excuse to buy or build an SAA clone and make or have made a nice rig for it.

Like this.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm trying to figure out how to finance this myself. Excellent excuse to buy or build an SAA clone and make or have made a nice rig for it.

Like this.

http://www.purdygear.com/images/products/rigs/Doc-Dickersons-Rig-1000.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will be me.

Like this.

So do you want to OC for self-protection or to play cowboy-dressup?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will be me.

Like this.

Reload time kinda sucks, but other than that an SAA isn't the worst thing you could carry for self defence.  .45 Colt will git'r'done...

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will be me.

Like this.

Both, man.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That'll be me all the way. In fact I already carry a Colt repro in .44 Special in a scuffed upeather holster thats attached to an old tattered Bucheimer leather belt with a few spare cartridges in the loops that haven't broken yet. I just have to take it off when I go to town. Oh, and I wore cowboy hats long before I fell in love with SA revolvers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Carrying an SA revolver for protection is pretty dumb.  It's less functional than pretty much any other style of repeating handgun, and unless you're at a SASS shoot or something it screams "look at me", and not in a good way.  Sort of on the level of the guys who wore tricorn hats to Tea Party rallies a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Carrying an SA revolver for protection is pretty dumb.  It's less functional than pretty much any other style of repeating handgun.
View Quote

Can you name a SD shoot where a SA revolver would not have gotten it done? Simple fact is, if you know how to use it, it is just as effective as any other style of repeating handgun. Reloads might be a little slower, but SD shootings rarely involve reloading.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Can you name a SD shoot where a SA revolver would not have gotten it done? Simple fact is, if you know how to use it, it is just as effective as any other style of repeating handgun. Reloads might be a little slower, but SD shootings rarely involve reloading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carrying an SA revolver for protection is pretty dumb.  It's less functional than pretty much any other style of repeating handgun.

This +1

The SAA is a pretty accurate handgun in the right hands and I think the bad guy going after any experienced SASS competitor would be at a major disadvantage...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Carrying an SA revolver for protection is pretty dumb.  It's less functional than pretty much any other style of repeating handgun, and unless you're at a SASS shoot or something it screams "look at me", and not in a good way.  Sort of on the level of the guys who wore tricorn hats to Tea Party rallies a couple years ago.
View Quote

"Shut up!"

"No, you shut up!"

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#39]
1. Design a badge similar to the CHL badges you can get mail order........'cept mine says "Handgun License"
2. Wear said badge on my belt detective style. Alternatively on a chain around my neck like Ice T on Law & Order SVU.
3. Open carry into WalMart
4. Wait for first AwwMahGawd!
5. Whip around to show my badge and authoratay....thereby avoiding gun induced visual trauma.
6. Profit
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
1. Design a badge similar to the CHL badges you can get mail order........'cept mine says "Handgun License"
2. Wear said badge on my belt detective style. Alternatively on a chain around my neck like Ice T on Law & Order SVU.
5. Whip around to show my badge and authoratay....thereby avoiding gun induced visual trauma.
6. Profit
View Quote

"badge and authoratay"  

Crazy thing is...  for most of the sheeple out there that would work...  The average schmuck who is scared if they think some average Joe might be carrying would feel safer if they saw someone with "authoratay" carrying...

Perception = Reality

at least for most people.  Most mundane dumbasses on the streets are ruled by emotion and manipulated by the media rather than being informed and making decisions based on inconveniences like facts and logic...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
6. Profit
View Quote

This is the best thing I have read all day.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come 1 Jan I'll be even more studlyier than that - I have a nice holster for my black powder Remington 1858 all polished up and ready to go.

If it was good enought for the Civil War, it's good enought for me.

I'd like to pack my single shot .50 cal BP sometime, just need to find a holster for it.  The sissy state leg won't let me belt carry it the way I ought to be able to.  Bunch of slack jawed faggots.  Do you think Davey Crocket had a belt holster for his pistol?  Thought not.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Come 1 Jan I'll be even more studlyier than that - I have a nice holster for my black powder Remington 1858 all polished up and ready to go.

I'd like to pack my single shot .50 cal BP sometime, just need to find a holster for it.  The sissy state leg won't let me belt carry it the way I ought to be able to.  Bunch of slack jawed faggots.  Do you think Davey Crocket had a belt holster for his pistol?  Thought not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can carry your black powder pistol (if a replica of a model before 1899?) however you want; it isn't a firearm.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Said the narrow-minded, brainwashed, life long city boy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You can carry your black powder pistol (if a replica of a model before 1899?) however you want; it isn't a firearm.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that, you know that, no one else, including cops, knows that.  We'll have enought bed wetters hassling us on 1 Jan, no need to tempt fate now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey that was me in the tri-corner hat!  You got a problem with my Offical Town Crier hat?

OK boys, get the tar warm and the feathers out.  I'll find us a rail!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top