Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 2:46:41 PM EDT
I grew up hunting, but now it seems like it would be cheaper to take up yachting than get a deer lease. I don't know anyone with land, either. My gf has been in TX for about a year now. I got her into shooting and now she wants to hunt. She's shown interest in deer and hogs. I could probably also interest her in fowl or small game.

I would love to get back into hunting this year (I actually did a lot while stationed in Alaska) but I'm going to need some help. I'd really hate to drive out to a public WMA and spend a couple days with her seeing nothing but other hunters. Seeing game is more important to us than actually shooting game. I'm not looking for a trophy. So if you have good info about a particular WMA, if you know a reasonable guide, or if you'd be kind enough to let us pay to hunt your land or lease, I'd like to hear from you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I hunt in Lavaca county, it cost me about 800 dollars for a 2300 or so acre hunting lease.  I hunt on about 100- 200 or so acres that is mine to hunt on but I can hunt others areas who are friends or if I ask.  which is kind of weird.  Since my brother and I and another friend hunt together we have a lot of property to hunt.  hogs, deer, varmints dove, ducks fishing on three ponds and hogs all year

All year lease that also include electricity for the travel trailer water and we have a nice cleaning rack and shed.

With 13 inch rules for bucks it has gotten a lot better

You can get does for sure and you get two doe tags.  hogs are getting smart but they make mistakes too.

a lease is the way to go .  find some friends who hunt and try to get on their lease.

My lease is really a hunting lease because you have to hunt to get a legal buck not just pick the one you want.

I like to hunt by the camp fire with a big rib eye, a baked potato and some good scotch.  don't get many deer by the fire but I have a good time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like to hunt by the camp fire with a big rib eye, a baked potato and some good scotch.
View Quote

I need to hunt with you!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I hunt in Lavaca county

View Quote

Hey me too. I inherited 60 acres off of 530. Obviously no where near 2300 acres
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Put in for some of the drawings run by TPWD.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Put in for some of the drawings run by TPWD.
View Quote

This.

A buddy and I were selected for a drawing hunt at Brazos Bend State Park in 2002 or so.

TPWD personnel would take you to an assigned stand.

We both came home with meat.

Property I hunted on for the last decade was sold last year.

I registered for a drawing hunt for this year.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Brad, has you're girl taken the required hunters education class? it is required for all gun hunting in the state.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey Brad, has you're girl taken the required hunters education class? it is required for all gun hunting in the state.
View Quote

Can't you get a one time waiver?

My wife wanted to go hunting to hang out a few times. Made so much damn noise and couldn't sit still. Funny thing is, I only see stuff when she comes, noise and all. If it is just me all nice and quiet I don't see shit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on your age. If you were born before September 2, 1971 you are exempt from hunters safety course.  +1 for the old guys and gals
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My wife wanted to go hunting to hang out a few times. Made so much damn noise and couldn't sit still. Funny thing is, I only see stuff when she comes, noise and all. If it is just me all nice and quiet I don't see shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you can get a one time deferral for $10
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hunt in Lavaca county

But 60 acres is about all I really hunt on anyway.  camp fire and a spot to sleep a couple of hog traps and one stand is all you need.

Did you inherit Mineral Rights  That's what will get you a place to hunt.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm working on all that with her. I'll get it squared away. I didn't recognize you with the new avatar!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top