Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2015 11:00:36 PM EDT
Do you need a boat or will a 4 wheel drive pickup and boots make it doable?

I'm like 45 minutes away and am just wondering the conditions there with all the rain we've had.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be interested in any first recent first hand reports as well.

I am three hours away so it a pretty decent commitment to get there to find the river over the bank.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
From a day or two ago. Guy said no damage at the range, just washed all the shotgun hulls away Believe if you look at the middle, you can see the top of the backstop at the bend in the river where the tanks are. Or at least where they used to be, see if they stick around once the river goes down.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Daayyuumm!

I remember the good old days like that. As long as the water didn't start coming over the bank you were okay but there were pools in the middle of the area. It didn't bother me since at that time I was lifted 4X4.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#4]
With all the water coming out of Lewisville (almost 48,000 gal/sec) and trying to merge downstream with the 22,000 gal/sec coming out of Hubbard, I can't imagine Mickey's is going to be anything but underwater for the near future....
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
yowza was out there a few weeks ago after the initial rise in the river.  Believe it had stopped raining for a day or two prior to the weekend.  He made it out there fine, said it was a bit muddy, but passable.  And unless he has changed vehicles since the last time I saw him, he wasn't even running 4x4.

That being said, I think they got a bunch of rain already today (an inch?).

eta: that too, all the water being released into the Trinity.  I'm planning for June sometime
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking of taking a friend of mine this weekend, but with the rain this morning I think I'll pass.  Not only will the mud be bad, but all that water coming from the lakes from the rain...then add in the fact that because the lakes are above capacity, the water districts will be actively releasing water into the Trinity to keep it them from flooding which will likely make it worse.

I'll sit out for a while.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I was just there 2 or 3 weeks ago--that's amazing!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Current pics, not too bad at all.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
"Current" = today or "Current" = look at that water move?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Whatever time I posted that, subtract about 5 minutes. I had to text the pics to a few people first.

Eta. Ha, I see what you meant. Current meaning today
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With all the water coming out of Lewisville (almost 48,000 gal/sec) and trying to merge downstream with the 22,000 gal/sec coming out of Hubbard, I can't imagine Mickey's is going to be anything but underwater for the near future....
View Quote

Mickey's is on the Elm Fork Branch....the branch that runs through Lewisville, Carrolton, west of downtown Dallas.  Hubbard is the East Fork.  They join up just north of Rosser.  My hydrologist is kinda busy right now, but I'll ask her if the East Fork would have any effect on the Elm Fork....as in flooding the area where Mickey's is.

Note:  I just received 2 flash flood warnings for Dallas County......in effect until Monday 12:00 am.

mm
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#12]
looks fine to me
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Main Stem and the East Fork have different watersheds, the confluence is about 5 miles southeast of Ferris and downstream of Mickey's about 11 river miles.

Probably one of the cooler things to check out during high water is the lock and dam north of Beltline. The water cannot be completely blown out high but when it comes down just a little bit, around 8,000 cfs, the thing roars like a jet engine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I just talked to the COE about some things, one topic was the high water. They said this will be the new normal for the summer with lots of water being released keeping the river up all summer and probably into the fall.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Whatever time I posted that, subtract about 5 minutes. I had to text the pics to a few people first.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The flow out of Hubbard has been increased by 33%.  And while it doesn't dump into that part of the Trinity Basin, it is probably slowing down the flow from the Dallas side.   Even if I had a capable 4x4, not sure I'd want to be in the bottoms right now.  Plus with the current moving that fast, floating targets don't hang around long enough for proper "resizing".  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Assuming it doesn't pour buckets tonight or rain tomorrow morning, we're going to attempt it in the morning.  Friend has a new can, new scope, new handloads he has been itching to try out for a while now lol.  Me, I just want to get out and shoot...and hunt.  Hunting will have to wait for another non-rainy day though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Assuming it doesn't pour buckets tonight or rain tomorrow morning, we're going to attempt it in the morning.  Friend has a new can, new scope, new handloads he has been itching to try out for a while now lol.  Me, I just want to get out and shoot...and hunt.  Hunting will have to wait for another non-rainy day though.
View Quote

Let us know how it goes.  Post a couple pics if you can.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I was down that way tonight, it was bone dry, powder dry under the Beltline bridge. River never overbanked under the bridge. Shot from the old Beltine bridge with a 400mm lens:

It's like 40 feet to the water I wonder how they ever reel a fish in if one bites.

The llama pastured on Beltline that I often pull off to look at. He always looks like he wants to jump the fence and kill me. It always has that look like I just said something about his momma.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was down that way tonight, it was bone dry, powder dry under the Beltline bridge. River never overbanked under the bridge. Shot from the old Beltine bridge with a 400mm lens:

http://i.imgur.com/npKspo6.jpg

It's like 40 feet to the water I wonder how they ever reel a fish in if one bites.

http://i.imgur.com/ti3h26o.jpg

The llama pastured on Beltline that I often pull off to look at. He always looks like he wants to jump the fence and kill me. It always has that look like I just said something about his momma.

http://i.imgur.com/4gWRN09.jpg

Is that  Tony Llama?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Lama's Mama ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#21]
It was fine down there, just started to lightly rain.
Little mud, but passable even for 2wd.
Will post some pics when I get home.
River was down a little bit, but swift.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/npKspo6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ti3h26o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4gWRN09.jpg

View Quote

Yea- that Llama sure has a "Hey FUCKER- you want a piece of me?!?" look!  Stand back- he'll spit in your eye for sure!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Here are some pics from this morning.
Road in was dry.

Little bit of mud back by the main range area.

Mostly dry by the tables along the riverbank.

This guy made it in, you probably can too, 4wd or not.

River was down a little and moving pretty swiftly, don't fall in

We need to get with Mickey and arrange for an overnight stay and clear some hunting.  Here piggy piggy...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#24]
May 29th at 1900 hours

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Glad to see that the benches have at least not floated away.

Pie in the sky type idea... but it would be nice if they put up one of those cellular based game cameras so keyholders who lived far away could log in and see what the conditions were like before making the drive up there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Double the key fee and double the membership and it may happen.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#28]
The cellular cameras are getting much cheaper.  I think you can get a decent one for $500 and the service plans are as cheap as $15  per month.

Have it set up to automatically email one or two pictures a day to a free yahoogroup email where keyholders could log in an view.

I have considered talking to the owners about personally paying for the camera hardware if they would be OK with the concept.

I live 3 hours away (6+ Hours round trip) so a drive up just to find out its underwater or iced in is a pretty big undertaking and that does not including the couple hours packing and unpacking a truck.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#29]
This is a great idea.

Another idea is to create a outlook or yahoo (etc.) email for the lease and use it for folks to snap a cell phone pics and email it to this address if they go during "less that desirable" weather (like ice, snow, or heavy rains).  It would be a "no reply email", and only used to for members to get an idea of the situation. All lease holders would get the email address and the password and could use it to upload condition photos/updates or to obtain info on the same.

Ideally, Mickey or Colt should perhaps setup one (like [email protected]) and at the beginning of each new lease year, the new year "password" could be broadcast emailed to all the valid members for that year (if I remember right we had to supply an email address on our lease applications).  I'd be happy to do it but I am moving in about a year, so it would really need to be someone that is and will be a member for many years to come (and has access to the email member list). As I think it, the only "maintenance" would be is to delete old emails (like over 2 months old).

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#30]
dude........

Quoted:
May 29th at 1900 hours

http://i.imgur.com/yOdOuAI.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#31]
how many yards do you shoot at ?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is a great idea.

Another idea is to create a outlook or yahoo (etc.) email for the lease and use it for folks to snap a cell phone pics and email it to this address if they go during "less that desirable" weather (like ice, snow, or heavy rains).  It would be a "no reply email", and only used to for members to get an idea of the situation. All lease holders would get the email address and the password and could use it to upload condition photos/updates or to obtain info on the same.

Ideally, Mickey or Colt should perhaps setup one (like [email protected]) and at the beginning of each new lease year, the new year "password" could be broadcast emailed to all the valid members for that year (if I remember right we had to supply an email address on our lease applications).  I'd be happy to do it but I am moving in about a year, so it would really need to be someone that is and will be a member for many years to come (and has access to the email member list). As I think it, the only "maintenance" would be is to delete old emails (like over 2 months old).

Thoughts?

Sounds great but back in the day when I was living in Dallas Mickey didn't even have a cell phone. Still might not.
I think Colt is a current kind of guy.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Water is still high down there. I was down there Monday at lunchtime with a reporter on Dowdy Ferry at the junkyards, water was higher Monday than on Friday. I use the Lock and Dam #2 north of Beltline as a gauge and it was completely underwater.

Water needs to drop about 4 feet for the bank to not be submerged where the benchrests stand or stood. Not sure if they are still standing, the water has tremendous force down there.

Oil/gasoline/antifreeze spill from the junkyard got into the Whittle Feed Store stock tank, Dallas Hunting and Fishing Club, Lancaster Club Lake and Goat Island. Made a real mess. A lot of angry folks. Apparently the vehicles were never drained of fluids. This is the same junkyard that was involved(still involved) in the county constable car theft ring that led to their convictions.

I went on a boat ride with the guy who owns the fireworks stand floating around on the river up and down quite a ways. Nice guy.

After the boat ride, his friend shot a feral pig with a Glock on dry land, never seen someone kill one with a Glock before, which was interesting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Very interesting stuff!  Post more pics if you got any.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Anybody else been by since Monday? Hoping with the lack of rain that the river has dropped dramatically since then.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#36]
So...I'm being told Mickey's is currently under 5ft of water for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll wait until I see real proof. I'm only 20 min away but lazy to go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll wait until I see real proof. I'm only 20 min away but lazy to go.
View Quote

We're going to drive down this morning, do something besides be bored at home...or worse yet, get roped into doing yard work
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Tag for update
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Here are some photos from this morning, Saturday June 6th....

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Yup, still wet.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Also, somebody in a white suv (possible Mercedes, didn't get a great look) drove down to the bottom of the hill, stopped at the water (where'd you normally start your turn) and popped off a few rounds while we were walking across the old bridge. Sounded as if they were shooting parallel to the bridge, not cool.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#43]
You could see where the water line was at one point, mud and shit on the leaves. Looks to have gone down several feet, but still has a few feet to go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn. Wonder how long before it starts drying up
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Any updates on conditions?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#46]
None from the property itself.  Just info on how much water is still being released into that side of the Trinity and Trinity levels further up river (near 35).

Release of water has not dropped much, still over 9000cf/s from Lewisville.  Report that Trinity is slightly lower where it meets 35 (assuming the lower point of impact, on the new bridge).  Looking at the USGS site, it appears to be down several feet at all measured locations south of Dallas.

So maybe it's clear now?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Ready!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#48]
You on the lower section or are the tables all just gone?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Wonder how long it will take to see the suburban again?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You on the lower section or are the tables all just gone?
View Quote

Some of the tables are gone
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top