Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2015 10:44:52 AM EDT
Can you share how you do your brisket with me? I need to step my game up on this.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Use the fat side to protect from the direct heat flow. Offset=fat up. Egg style=fat down.

225-250 until its done! Around 1 hour per pound, sometimes more sometimes less. The most important thing is to keep a consistent fire.

Some people wrap, I don't unless I have to. I spray it with apple cider vinegar if it looks too dry.

I season with salt and coarse ground pepper, and trim the fat down to around 1/8 to 1/4 inch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I cook mine in the oven......only because we dont have a pit at the fire station!!!

You want my recipe or you need to do on a pit?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a step by step I can email you, what is your email?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I cook mine in the oven......only because we dont have a pit at the fire station!!!

You want my recipe or you need to do on a pit?
View Quote

If I have to do it in an oven I turn the temp down about as low as it will go...  160-170 or so...  I put a pan of pecan (or mesquite) chips on the bottom rack wetted with some Lone Star.  Brisket goes on a rack on a big pan to catch the grease but not have the brisket sit in the grease.  Run it at least 8-10 hours.  Oh...  I like it dry rubbed with a mixture of black pepper, paprika, powdered and minced garlic, powdered and minced onion and coarse ground sea salt  I like to score the fat with a knife before rubbing it so the rub gets inside more.  if you have a smoker, the heat is lower and the time is longer.  That's really the way to do it, but sometimes not an option so you gotta make do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Use the fat side to protect from the direct heat flow. Offset=fat up. Egg style=fat down.

225-250 until its done! Around 1 hour per pound, sometimes more sometimes less. The most important thing is to keep a consistent fire.

Some people wrap, I don't unless I have to. I spray it with apple cider vinegar if it looks too dry.

I season with salt and coarse ground pepper, and trim the fat down to around 1/8 to 1/4 inch.
View Quote

This is perfect. Salt, pepper and smoke is all you really need. Not a huge fan of wrapping, but sometimes you need to.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Why is brisket so expensive right now?

Txl
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

Too many Californicators and Yankees have discovered it due to their friends and relatives having moved to Austin...  so demand has skyrocketed and price follows.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can you share how you do your brisket with me? I need to step my game up on this.
View Quote

How have you been?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

No kidding.  Went to HEB this morning and looked at a Black Angus brisket and the fucker was $64.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

I see it for less than $2 a lb at walmart
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No kidding.  Went to HEB this morning and looked at a Black Angus brisket and the fucker was $64.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Txl

Two weeks ago, bought a packer at Sam's for ~$54. Weighed ~17lbs untrimmed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Too many Californicators and Yankees have discovered it due to their friends and relatives having moved to Austin...  so demand has skyrocketed and price follows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

All beef prices are high, mostly because during the drought a lot of ranchers sent their cattle to market rather than feed them hay trucked in. Replenishing the beef herds will take some time, not like chicken or pigs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

As mentioned, all beef prices are high right now.  Brisket prices are bad enough that awhile back I heard of a chain of robberies where someone was breaking into BBQ restaurants at night and stealing all the briskets.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As mentioned, all beef prices are high right now.  Brisket prices are bad enough that awhile back I heard of a chain of robberies where someone was breaking into BBQ restaurants at night and stealing all the briskets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

here in san antonio, he guy was stealin em off the pits in the wee hrs of the morning
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

$2.99 a pound at Kroger for the packer cut untrimmed. Choke!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

I'd pay that, but seeing $6 where I shop. Gotta find a Kroger.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

here in san antonio, he guy was stealin em off the pits in the wee hrs of the morning
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Sounds like a good way for a felon to get shot...  I've known guys to guard their pits because of such things.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

That is just down right low.

My recipe consists of buying mine fully cooked from 2-3 decent places locally!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]
last time I felt like cooking a brisket I didn't anymore after I saw the price

cook it at 230ish until it hits 195 or so, then take it off, wrap it in foil and put it in an empty icechest for 2 hours

take out, cut up, enjoy
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#22]
What is your smoker setup? That matters.  Offset firebox with opposing exhaust?  Offset firebox with bottom plate allowing smoke and heat to travel down and return for exhaust?  Vertical?  

I have offset firebox with opposite exhaust.  I cook a 10lb brisket 2-3 hours fat side down, 2 hours fat side up,wrap in foil cook about 4-5 more hours fat side down.  Temperature remains 220-250.  I prefer Hickory.  Have used mesquite, oak, and pecan.  I rub it with lowery's seasoned salt and allow to sit for at least an hour covered on the counter prior to putting in the smoker which already has a bed of coals at been brought to temp.  I never, ever restrict my exhaust, it is the perfect size and restricting causes creosote tasting meat.  I control heat exclusively with the intake and amount of wood.  My smoker is not that large it can hold 3 8-9lb briskets and 2 10-12lb'ers.  

EDIT: point always directed toward the firebox
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I trim the brisket and leave about 1/4 inch of fat.  Salt and pepper  or any descent rub will work.  Dizzy Pig has several good ones.  I don't see a big difference between fat side up or down so take your pick.  I cook indirect at 250 (about 240 grid level) until an internal temp of around 200 degrees.  Every brisket is different so some are tender at 195 others at 205.  As TexRdnec stated, you need to FTC (foil, towel, cooler) after cooking and let it sit for 1 -  4 hours.  I also love to cook burnt ends out of the point.  

The quality of beef plays a huge part in the finished product.  Not that you can't make a good brisket with select  grade beef but you are more likely to get a better product with a better grade of  beef.  If you want to drop a lot of coin for a very nice cut of beef, buy a Snake River Farms Kobe/Wagyu brisket. I can't bring myself to buy one but I would love to try one based on what I have heard from people that have.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

Because it is made of beef.  Have you seen cattle prices lately....fucking insane

My mom just sold a couple of 500ish pound calves, I think they averaged around $1100 or more per head.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How have you been?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How have you been?

Dustin, I've been good just staying busy. You sell the ranch?

Smoker is offset wood fired. Primary wood source is oak and hickory.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#26]
IM Cocked'NLocked for his secrets, if he'll give them to you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I can not confirm or deny that I have any idea of this thing you call smoking a brisket

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Delta-One/media/BBQ/Image3-4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Delta-One/BBQ/Image3-4.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Delta-One/media/BBQ/WC2011012.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Delta-One/BBQ/WC2011012.jpg</a>

I don't do pulled pork either

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Delta-One/media/BBQ/Image1-3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Delta-One/BBQ/Image1-3.jpg</a>
View Quote

I miss having a REAL pit

I've got about the biggest lyfe tyme you can buy but my old propane tank bit was sooooo much fucking better

if I had a welding machine i'd go apeshit on a 1950s elongated 500 gallon tank I've got, it'd be a monster
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can not confirm or deny that I have any idea of this thing you call smoking a brisket

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Delta-One/media/BBQ/Image3-4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Delta-One/BBQ/Image3-4.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Delta-One/media/BBQ/WC2011012.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Delta-One/BBQ/WC2011012.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Delta-One/media/BBQ/Image1-3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Delta-One/BBQ/Image1-3.jpg</a>
View Quote

Godfrey Daniels.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Godfrey Daniels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Godfrey Daniels.

Jack Daniels
and
Charlie Daniels.

HEB has brisket for 1.77 a pound limit 2 with  10 dollar purchase.  That looks like the cheapest deal in the Houston area.  Krogger has the ribs on sale.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Also, when trimming, make sure that thing is cold as hell. Trying to trim a warm-ish brisket is almost impossible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Went to Walmart at 6am, $2.98 a pound. Choke, hold my nose and bought one. Got the pick of the litter and was able to find a Choice grade brisket hiding among the Select.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Txl

Ground beef has pretty much doubled in less than a year

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#34]
First and foremost, seasoning. Salt and pepper.  But the key here is mixing 2:1 ratio of salt to everything else (pepper and/or other spices).  Smoke it fat side up for as long as it takes, usually an hour per pound.  Just be careful of the stall.  THose fuckers stall at like 170 and sometimes it only takes an hour, sometimes longer.  I like to pull mine off at 190 and let it rest.  I don't wrap it or turn it or baste it.  Just put it offset, fat side up with a 2:1 salt mix and don't touch it.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I trim the brisket and leave about 1/4 inch of fat.  Salt and pepper  or any descent rub will work.  Dizzy Pig has several good ones.  I don't see a big difference between fat side up or down so take your pick.  I cook indirect at 250 (about 240 grid level) until an internal temp of around 200 degrees.  Every brisket is different so some are tender at 195 others at 205.  As TexRdnec stated, you need to FTC (foil, towel, cooler) after cooking and let it sit for 1 -  4 hours.  I also love to cook burnt ends out of the point.  

The quality of beef plays a huge part in the finished product.  Not that you can't make a good brisket with select  grade beef but you are more likely to get a better product with a better grade of  beef.  If you want to drop a lot of coin for a very nice cut of beef, buy a Snake River Farms Kobe/Wagyu brisket. I can't bring myself to buy one but I would love to try one based on what I have heard from people that have.
View Quote

I hate you now! Snake river, my credit card is smoking.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#36]
due to the drought, a lot of farmers culled thieir herd and sold off a lot of beef last year. Now beef is in short supply.,
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Add another door and you'd have the size of a long 500

What is that, anyway? Looks too long to be a 250, doesn't really look like a 350 and isn't wide enough to be a 500 and is too long

Part of a 250 welded on another?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Nicely done, that's an old butane tank, probably damned near 1/2" thick
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#41]
This one is just begging to burn mesquite

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#42]
My favorite brisket recipe is the Stephen Raichlen "Smokelahoma" version. I am not a chef or even a good cook by any stretch. I have to follow the specific directions to the letter. This recipe gives good results as long as I cook it till it is TENDER. TEMPERATURE IS NOT AN ADEQUATE GAUGE. It has to be up to temp, but it usually is not complete even though it hits the desired temp. I learned that  from a real chef.

Keeping the temperature consistent during smoking is very important. A heavy gauge steel smoker will accomplish that much easier in my experience.

I don't know why brisket prices went up at such a high percentage compared to the rest of the cow.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't know why brisket prices went up at such a high percentage compared to the rest of the cow.
View Quote

Low number of cuts per cow vs. the various steaks and of course ground meat
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Scored 2 briskets at wally world for $2.47/lb.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

Now what?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Glanced at the packers in Albertson's last night. Choice @ $4.99/lb

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Now what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Now what?

Cruz's brisket rub.

Oven at 230 until it hits 195.
Foil, ice chest for two hours.

Ill forever be trying to replicate the brisket I devoured at your house.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Cruz's brisket rub.

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Now what?

Cruz's brisket rub.

Txl

You'll never do it without smoke

Go get yourself a pit!

You get to drink for 15 hours straight, it's glorious
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:57:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Traeger grill
Injection
- salted butter ( f&@$ing Magic)
Rub (put it on liberally)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup ground back pepper
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
Spray bottle
- 2 oz. Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons worschester (no one knows how to spell or pronounce) sauce
- 1 can tecate beer

Brisket fat side up
- smoke for 3 hours @ 125-145
- after 3 hour smoke switch to 225 for 9-13 hours until internal temp is 195-200. Spray every 1 hour top and bottom to keep moist, the brown sugar creates a beautiful crust.

Oh and I'm super jealous of the rigs above. Apartment I'm in now doesn't quite have the room on the balcony I want but I'm honing my skills on the traeger.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top