User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No sir I didn't.  To me it's just coming across as if LEO's are greater than thou.  

If I get arrested for DWI, I immediately loose my job before DA packet gets to courthouse...  So much for innocent until proven guilty... Same scenario as I said above, I loose my job.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont like it, petition the state.  And if it was legal to be armed and drunk at the same time, I wouldnt be on a mission to make it illegal either.  But its unlikely this will be going away.  In the world we live in, there are better battles to fight that wont make one look dumb.  What would that campaign look like " I want to carry while DRUNK because its my right ".   Good luck with that one.

You realize it is generally legal to carry while drunk right?

LEOS are fully exempt.

CHLs can not carry handgun drunk.

Non-CHLs cannot carry handgun drunk while in car.

That is about it.

Pretty much all other guns (rifles, etc) can be carried drunk by anybody, anywhere.

So follow your own advice - "Don't like it, petition the state".

Let's say I was on private property shooting. Someone calls the police and my boss shows up and see's me with a pistol, rifle or shotgun in my possession while consuming alcohol. I would immediately be stripped of my badge and ID.  So how am I exempt?

Perhaps you missed the part where I used the word "Legal"?

No sir I didn't.  To me it's just coming across as if LEO's are greater than thou.  

If I get arrested for DWI, I immediately loose my job before DA packet gets to courthouse...  So much for innocent until proven guilty... Same scenario as I said above, I loose my job.  

You getting fired from your job is not a criminal court process.  "Innocent before proven guilty" has no meaning whatsoever within a private employee / employer contract.

Not the first time i've seen an LE on this board conflate the two.

And, by the way, your's is not the only job where getting arrested (not convicted) for DUI will result in being fired.  Plenty of employers have that stance.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

LEOS are fully exempt.

That is about it.

Pretty much all other guns (rifles, etc) can be carried drunk by anybody, anywhere.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont like it, petition the state.  And if it was legal to be armed and drunk at the same time, I wouldnt be on a mission to make it illegal either.  But its unlikely this will be going away.  In the world we live in, there are better battles to fight that wont make one look dumb.  What would that campaign look like " I want to carry while DRUNK because its my right ".   Good luck with that one.

LEOS are fully exempt.

That is about it.

We arent talking about generally.  We are talking about DWI + UCW or CHL Carry.  We werent talking about long guns.  Different subject.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And if it was legal to be armed and drunk at the same time....

View Quote

For curiosity's sake...  what makes you concerned about "armed and drunk" in our earlier hypothetical of a guy wearing his .45 while having some beers at the bar?

Or, to stay closer to topic:

Why should a handgun in the console of a vehicle being operated by an intoxicated driver be illegal?  What is the concern factor here?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've been saying for decades the switchblades should be legal as any other knife.

But, being DRUNK and armed is not mere possession, by its own description.

I may be in the minority around here on this opinion, but thats my opinion.  One should educate thy-self before going armed on when its CURRENTLY not legal to do some things while armed.  Theres a segment of the population who refuses to get a CHL. " they arent putting ME on a list ".  Well, if you did get the CHL, even if you dont want to use it, you would have been told carrying while armed is illegal, CHL or not, most likely. Maybe someone wouldn't have had their gun with them if they are a stupid drunk by practice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
UCW just needs to go in general. TINLEG nailed it, just mere possession should not be a crime. When you carve out special snowflake niches for this and that the law becomes to cumbersome, for the enforcers and enforcees. I'm sooooo glad automatic knives got removed from the prohibited list.

I've been saying for decades the switchblades should be legal as any other knife.

I may be in the minority around here on this opinion, but thats my opinion.  One should educate thy-self before going armed on when its CURRENTLY not legal to do some things while armed.  Theres a segment of the population who refuses to get a CHL. " they arent putting ME on a list ".  Well, if you did get the CHL, even if you dont want to use it, you would have been told carrying while armed is illegal, CHL or not, most likely. Maybe someone wouldn't have had their gun with them if they are a stupid drunk by practice.

Spoke to my buddy a while ago. He met with his attorney who said he most likely won't get the gun back.  Again, congrats and high fives all around for the gun grabbers and police for getting another gun off the street.  He started out legal just like any other day and drank too much that evening and for that lost not only his gun but the right to defend himself.  Yeah, I know, he did it to himself.  But that gun or another one has been a fixture in his truck for years as he travels in some pretty rough areas in his business.  Not many people even knew it was there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For curiosity's sake...  what makes you concerned about "armed and drunk" in our earlier hypothetical of a guy wearing his .45 while having some beers at the bar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quote the whole thing. I didnt say having a beer while wearing his 45. I said wearing his .45 and toasted  ( or DRUNK )
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Spoke to my buddy a while ago. He met with his attorney who said he most likely won't get the gun back.  Again, congrats and high fives all around for the gun grabbers and police for getting another gun off the street.  He started out legal just like any other day and drank too much that evening and for that lost not only his gun but the right to defend himself.  Yeah, I know, he did it to himself.  But that gun or another one has been a fixture in his truck for years as he travels in some pretty rough areas in his business.  Not many people even knew it was there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

UCW just needs to go in general. TINLEG nailed it, just mere possession should not be a crime. When you carve out special snowflake niches for this and that the law becomes to cumbersome, for the enforcers and enforcees. I'm sooooo glad automatic knives got removed from the prohibited list.

He should have known where his gun was, and not driven drunk.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quote the whole thing. I didnt say having a beer while wearing his 45. I said wearing his .45 and toasted  ( or DRUNK )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the difference?

ETA:  Seriously.  If you can explain the difference it makes to you, it may answer the question.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Why should a handgun in the console of a vehicle being operated by an intoxicated driver be illegal?  What is the concern factor here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Drunk, High, stoned, wasted,  no rational reason to be armed, period.  Especially in public.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

How did he lose his right to defend himself?

He hasn't even lost his right to own guns....
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Drunk, High, stoned, wasted,  no rational reason to be armed, period.  Especially in public.

View Quote

From your "especially in public" comment it appears you also think being in control of a firearm while 'drunk' should be illegal in private or on private land as well.  Do you think so?

I surmise a drunk person may wish to be armed for the same reasons any other person may wish to.  But i'm not really interested in discussing motivations or reasons.

I'm interested in discovering and understanding your thought processes on why it should be illegal.

Perhaps to ask a question another way:

What is immoral about wearing a gun on your hip and drinking enough to blow a .08 or higher?

Is it immoral to have a pistol in the center console of a vehicle?  (I presume everyone agrees the answer to this is no)

Why does the firearm in the console suddenly become immoral when the operator is DUI?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm interested in discovering why you feel it should be illegal.
View Quote

Only for handguns, and not LEOs.

The logic is silly. Like guzzle before you drive law.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a literal right as he has other guns and can buy another one but if it had been his only gun and he couldn't afford to replace it...
It was more important to disarm him, after all protection is what the police are for.  (sarcasm)

I was reading other comments and it made me think in the days when a gun was a survival tool.  You get drunk in a cantina while armed you get thrown in jail and might get pistol whipped if you're belligerent but when you sober up and pay the fine you got your gun back.  Because it was your property and you had a right to it to defend yourself.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your criticism of the police is misplaced and juvenile.  The comments about "gun grabbers" are just inane.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your criticism of the police is misplaced and juvenile.  The comments about "gun grabbers" are just inane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've inspired me, I need a membership and an ignore button.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#16]
"Juvenile, inane" Folks, this is why people equate cops with hypocrite losers ^.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So in your opinon its okay to drive drunk? Lets just remove all of section 49 from the penal code?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
at your buddy driving drunk.....  Thank god this DRUNK didn't kill someone! He drove drunk, broke two laws and I hope he doesn't get his gun back and it is destroyed...

Maybe this will be enough to teach him a lesson to phone a friend or a cab....  ZERO TOLERANCE FOR DRUNK DRIVERS

Apparently, a local MADD chapter is missing their spokesperson.

So in your opinon its okay to drive drunk? Lets just remove all of section 49 from the penal code?

It was legal for years to drink and drive in Texas  before we had fancy equipment to tell how drunk we were.

Op's friend having a gun and possibly losing it has nothing to do with drunk driving in my way of thinking but Texas law differs with my view.

OP's friend should have kept his mouth shut about the gun but was trying to do the right thing.

Another thing if you are ever carrying a gun and get picked up for any reason by a cop do not let them take you into the jail with the gun in your pocket  you will go from a relatively low charge into a felony even though you are not going of your own will.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"Juvenile, inane" Folks, this is why people equate cops with hypocrite losers ^.
View Quote

Are you a cop?
The reason I ask is because I equate those terms with '15ers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#19]
so because he was so intoxicated he decided to drive over calling  a cab. Has nothing to do with gun grabbers has to do with someone so impaired he was not thinking correctly.

The cab would have been way cheeper.  

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You gone to wear out that ignore button when you get it.  Hell I paid my money and I want all my moneys worth.  I don't use no stinking ignore button

edit the red quote referred to a reply I deleted  about the DEA agent who got into trouble at his bachelor party at a Houston strip club years ago.........
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very few people here care about you or your buddies sob story.  I hope his gun is not destroyed and sold to a true gun lover at his expense.  None of us can help it if he BROKE THE LAW BY ACCIDENT???  I am sure he is a real good guy.  I have nothing at all against your buddy, except he wasn't smart enough to know to wait after drinking, to drive.  You have to know this??  The people who don't know this end up getting what they get.  It sucks sometimes.  I hope your buddy learns his lesson in life with the minimal amount of pain possible.  But whatever pain he does experience pales in comparison to all the families who have lost members permanently, or maybe even worse yet, spend a lifetime taking care of somebody who lived enough to vegatate.  So pardon me if I can't muster much sympathy for your stupid inane whoa is my buddy gun grabber story.  

When your buddy learns his lesson and pays his sentence I am fully in favor of him having his rights to defend himself(which hasn't been removed).  But let it play out.  And quit begging for support or sympathy on here.  You just won't garner much.  

And yes quit being a freeloader and buy a membership so you can ignore me too.  One of the worst threads I have seen in a long time with OP derp, but I just can't look away.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Log out. Don't come back. Our moron quota is at it's limit.

You'd enjoy the Texas Hunting forum much more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

so because he was so intoxicated he decided to drive over calling  a cab. Has nothing to do with gun grabbers has to do with someone so impaired he was not thinking correctly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Exactly my point.  People who are " NOT THINKING CORRECTLY " Shouldn't be armed with more than their wallet to call a taxi.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm  not a cop.  But you sound like a liberal when you resort to attacks after having no valid argument.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What would be the charge if legally drunk driver had a passenger in the car?  Wouldn't the passenger negate the charge since they were also in close proximity of the handgun in question?  What if passenger was also drunk?  Passenger can't get charged with DWI but I guess LE could force the passenger to get out of the car where they could be charged with PI (Class C charge, correct?).  Where am I wrong with this logic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What would be the charge if legally drunk driver had a passenger in the car?  Wouldn't the passenger negate the charge since they were also in close proximity of the handgun in question?  What if passenger was also drunk?  Passenger can't get charged with DWI but I guess LE could force the passenger to get out of the car where they could be charged with PI (Class C charge, correct?).  Where am I wrong with this logic?

Passenger could claim the firearm if it was reasonable that it was his, AND the vehicle was owned by him/under his control. (PC 46.02) Police would not have to force anyone out of a vehicle for them to be PI. Drunk in the passenger seat of a vehicle in a public place is "public" for PI.

Quoted:
Exactly my point.  People who are " NOT THINKING CORRECTLY " Shouldn't be armed with more than their wallet to call a taxi.

If you are attempting to make phone calls with your wallet, you probably are a danger to yourself and others
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Passenger could claim the firearm if it was reasonable that it was his, AND the vehicle was owned by him/under his control. (PC 46.02) Police would not have to force anyone out of a vehicle for them to be PI. Drunk in the passenger seat of a vehicle in a public place is "public" for PI.

If you are attempting to make phone calls with your wallet, you probably are a danger to yourself and others
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great information.  Is being pulled over along the roadside considered "a public place"?  

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Great information.  Is being pulled over along the roadside considered "a public place"?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is operating a motor vehicle on IH35 a public place?

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what I meant.........
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it procedure to charge passengers with PI?  Or do they talk themselves into that charge?

What is your agency's policy about carrying a firearm when drinking?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm  not a cop.  But you sound like a liberal when you resort to attacks after having no valid argument.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you just play one? I'm not a Liberal either.  And if you don't think most cops in the Austin area, where guns are bad and 'guns for food vouchers' is good, and rather you don't have them then your thinking is retarded, Sir.  So don't let the door hit you in the ass.  And you can take that other retard, Charr, with you.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But you just play one? I'm not a Liberal either.  And if you don't think most cops in the Austin area, where guns are bad and 'guns for food vouchers' is good, and rather you don't have them then your thinking is retarded, Sir.  So don't let the door hit you in the ass.  And you can take that other retard, Charr, with you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zaminski lives!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You fail at grammar and life.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's "generic, ad hominem insults because I'm a loser" time.^
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, that was an observation he made. Ad Hominem would be to insult your character without warrant in the face of an argument that cannot otherwise be won. You know, that thing you've been doing for a few posts.

And telling other folks to hit the road?

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever been kicked out of an Applebee's?  Just curious.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Play one?  WTF does that even mean?   I didn't write that you are liberal, just that you act like one.  Your next sentence is nonsensical. ( and you call me retarded...)  Door hit me on the ass?  Again, WTF does that even mean?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#38]
COC 6.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top