Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 5:18:09 PM EDT
Their prices are insane!  They used to be on the higher side now there on the insane side.  Virtually every gun I looked at was priced above MSRP and their selection still blows.  Drove from Austin to San Antonio because I was gifted a gift card.  After spending that 50 plus 33 I will never go back.  I used to love bass pro.  They make cabelas prices seem reasonable!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I stopped in the Bass Pro in grapevine because I was over in that direction. I live closer to Cabela's and I am glad. You are correct I looked at some reloading supplies at Bass Pro that were easily 10-15% above Cabela's prices. I did how ever see a Browning Hi Power MKIII for $899 which was cheaper than Cheaper Than Gold...er I mean Dirt.

Vince
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Their prices are insane!  They used to be on the higher side now there on the insane side.  Virtually every gun I looked at was priced above MSRP and their selection still blows.  Drove from Austin to San Antonio because I was gifted a gift card.  After spending that 50 plus 33 I will never go back.  I used to love bass pro.  They make cabelas prices seem reasonable!
View Quote

Do you have an example of a gun priced over MSRP?

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You doubt me??  Well then M&P shield 40sw, priced 469.95, MSRP 449.95, basic DMPS AR starting at 1299.95, I stopped paying attention after that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
And that is why I shop at Academy
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Academy has the same gun for 399.95
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
That's why I never even look at guns and most accessories at Bass Pro always over priced. Just like a gouging pawn & gun about 20 minutes from me. Example Walther Uzi $699.95 plus tax $756.00!!!!!!!! CDNN $279.00 was $269.00, tax & transfer $325.00 total less than half price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do these guys think no one has access to the internet. making a profit is one thing, ass raping customers is another, and when I said that to him after his "so should I wrap it up comment"; I can get those for less than half of your price, he just smirked and didn't care in the least. First time/last time in that shop............
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
NO kidding their prices are high. I only go if I am in the area and want to see the fish which just so happens to be 5yrs ago. Id much rather support a local shop.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Academy is high on guns as well, but then again, everybody is high on guns vs. the internet.

We're almost finished (subcontractor) with the Bass Pro in Round Rock - should be open before the heat of summer sets in.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NO kidding their prices are high. I only go if I am in the area and want to see the fish which just so happens to be 5yrs ago. Id much rather support a local shop.
View Quote

How do you think Bass Pro pays for their fish, and all the other nice build-outs and displays? You don't get all that on the internet, so you don't pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Bass Pro is bad, but IMO Gander Mountain is much worse.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed-GM does not have nearly the overhead as BPS and Cabelas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You doubt me??  Well then M&P shield 40sw, priced 469.95, MSRP 449.95, basic DMPS AR starting at 1299.95, I stopped paying attention after that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem to have stopped paying attention at local gunshops too. That's  about right for a Shield. Heck, they list on Guntrader for MORE than that used.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
As a general rule, stay far away from Bass Pro/Cabellas/Gander Mountain.  The only exception to that that I have found is Cabellas recently had some great deals on shotguns.

For good prices, better to shop Academy/Dunham/Walmart/(local gun store)/(on line)

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As a general rule, stay far away from Bass Pro/Cabellas/Gander Mountain.  The only exception to that that I have found is Cabellas recently had some great deals on shotguns.

For good prices, better to shop Academy/Dunham/Walmart/(local gun store)/(on line)

View Quote

I miss Sportsmans Warehouse
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.  The entire gun dept was neckbearding off the loading dock and selling on the side.  More than once I was offered a "Deal" on things they  did not have on the shelves.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't.  The entire gun dept was neckbearding off the loading dock and selling on the side.  More than once I was offered a "Deal" on things they  did not have on the shelves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, I never heard about that. I liked SW, but their prices were sometimes ridiculous also.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Huh, I never heard about that. I liked SW, but their prices were sometimes ridiculous also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I worked at Bass Pro Shops for 5 years (end of HS and Almost all of College). It used to be super duper fuddy. No AR rifles what so ever. Then they changed their
stance on black rifles and started stocking them and 'tactical' accessories. Nothing too fancy. Mainly the crap you would expect to see in the accessory isle at
Academy. Maybe a few extra Magpul items here and there..

The trick with Bass Pro is the price matching. Otherwise, yes, it tends to be over MSRP. Also, if you ever keep track of their 'Sales', its the same price all year round,
they just throw it in an ad and call it a sale. At least when it comes to firearms. But yeah, if you lived next door to a Bass Pro and they had a Colt 6920 for example and Academy has the same one for.. lets say, $200 cheaper? Whatever it is, they would match it. But there's a catch. If I remember correctly, it has to be in stock at whatever store is carrying it. I remember having to call 5-6 different Academy locations to see if some customer's gun would be price matched. It also has to be a fairly big chain. They won't price match smaller shops or chains like Carter's. Not that carters is cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I worked at Bass Pro Shops for 5 years (end of HS and Almost all of College). It used to be super duper fuddy. No AR rifles what so ever. Then they changed their
stance on black rifles and started stocking them and 'tactical' accessories. Nothing too fancy. Mainly the crap you would expect to see in the accessory isle at
Academy. Maybe a few extra Magpul items here and there..

The trick with Bass Pro is the price matching. Otherwise, yes, it tends to be over MSRP. Also, if you ever keep track of their 'Sales', its the same price all year round,
they just throw it in an ad and call it a sale. At least when it comes to firearms. But yeah, if you lived next door to a Bass Pro and they had a Colt 6920 for example and Academy has the same one for.. lets say, $200 cheaper? Whatever it is, they would match it. But there's a catch. If I remember correctly, it has to be in stock at whatever store is carrying it. I remember having to call 5-6 different Academy locations to see if some customer's gun would be price matched. It also has to be a fairly big chain. They won't price match smaller shops or chains like Carter's. Not that carters is cheaper.
View Quote

Years ago I would buy 12 gauge ammo from Bass Pro as they were close to my house and I could get a shit ton of it as they had huge inventory (I was shooting competitions).  They would match any price so it was reasonable  But their price wasn't much different than awl mart back then.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I had been sitting on about $250 in BPS credits and wanted a handgun. Well, without doing too much research on pricing, I went in and looked at what was behind the case. I wound up getting a Springfield XDM 9mm compact for $699. After taxes I was out $500 out of pocket. About two weeks later I found the same gun at a gun show for $549+ tax. If I had done my research I just would have taken my $250 in credit and got a Mossberg 500 and then used my $500 on a Glock or something and would have been out about the same out of pocket. Oh well, you live and you learn. I enjoy the XDM, but I'm still kick myself for not researching more.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I was given a $50 gift card to Bass Pro, and have been sitting on it because I cant find anything I want for less than $50.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was given a $50 gift card to Bass Pro, and have been sitting on it because I cant find anything I want for less than $50.
View Quote

Get a baseball cap and a bottle of novelty BBQ sauce.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go have a burger and a beer at their restaurant.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I picked up a S&W Shield at Academy for 400.00.  

I was happy with it.  I haven't been to a Gander for years.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#26]
BPS and GM suck balls.  Cabela's is only marginally better.  Academy used to run a couple of sales a year in the Houston and Beaumont area that were in line with the larger gun show prices.  They stopped after Gander Mountain came to the area.  I stick with gun shows for new purchases now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Hopefully the competition with Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Cheaper than Dirtbags, etc. will bring some competition to Austin/Round Rock. Doubt it, but staying hopeful.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hopefully the competition with Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Cheaper than Dirtbags, etc. will bring some competition to Austin/Round Rock. Doubt it, but staying hopeful.
View Quote

It hasn't helped here in Dallas.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well, back to primary arms, slickguns, psa, amazon it is then...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I goto bass pro quite frequently but don't buy guns from there that's for sure
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Was at BPS in Pearland 10 days ago, lol prices.  Ate at the seafood restaurant and left.  

Gander Mtn is not much better.

Been to the Cabelas in Buda and the one in Saginaw several times, enjoy them much more and seem to have better prices, but its a haul from Houston.

I read that a Cabelas is finally coming to Houston this fall, I think it was October, out on I-10 East if memory serves.

Hking
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Was at BPS in Pearland 10 days ago, lol prices.  Ate at the seafood restaurant and left.  

Gander Mtn is not much better.

Been to the Cabelas in Buda and the one in Saginaw several times, enjoy them much more and seem to have better prices, but its a haul from Houston.

I read that a Cabelas is finally coming to Houston this fall, I think it was October, out on I-10 East if memory serves.

Hking
View Quote

Cabelas is opening in League City, next to Big League Dreams. That's I-45 South on the Gulf  Freeway between 96 and 646.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Right you are Joe, I was thinking of the Pappas Meat Co out on I-10, my mind on food yesterday...  

Hking
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.basspro.com/Brand-Smith-Wesson/Cartridge-or-Gauge-40-Smith-Wesson/Shooting-Guns-Pistols/_/N-1z0wt4eZ1z0vjfxZ1z0ux60

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_780153_-1_757781_757781_image

What you say is true.

This said, take this information into your local Bass Pro shops (If you intend to buy), ask the associate at the gun counter to look it up to verify the price, Bass Pro shops will HONOR that price, also, if you find a legitimate price (Must be advertised on the net for easy verification purposes) BPS will honor that lesser price.

ETA: Call 'em on it, it was probably a screw-up and they would want to know or continue to look stupid. You'll have to ask for a "M O D" to get things fixed, otherwise, they remain stupid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top