Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 6:59:04 PM EDT
I am soon going to be relocating from Houston to the DFW area.  The corporation I will be working for is in the Grapevine area.

I expect to be making roughly 40k a year, and was curious if you all had any recommendations on where to start my housing search.  As much as I would prefer to buy a house, I don't see it being financially responsible right now.  I think as of now I'd be better off renting, and was curious what the average price would be for something that is not in a bad part of town.

Thank you!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there are any bad parts of town in Grapevine. You can find apartments all over the place near the Grapevine Mills Mall. My stepmom and brother used to live in a two bedroom for about $1,000 a month on Grapevine Mills Blvd. right across from the mall. A little older, 80s maybe, but nice with a gated entry pool and grills.

They also lived in a place up the road, Grapevine Mills Parkway, Camden River Walk apartments. NICE places. They had a two bedroom with a garage for $1,250 or so. That place was REALLY nice.

If you can get out here for a weekend to look around then you'll find places easily. It's by no means ghetto.

Where in Grapevine are you going to be working? You might want to look at Euless if you want cheaper. Grapevine is just north west of DFW airport, and traffic on 635 is slow in rush hour. I would not go east of Belt Line in Irving, or much South of 114. But, prices may force you towards Euless/Irving. They're not bad areas either. Don't listen to the people who tell you Irving is a ghetto or Euless is a ghetto. Personally I would stay towards Grapevine or Euless. Depends on how much room you need and how far you're willing to drive.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#2]
due to the stupid amount of traffic in and around grapevine I would tell you you're best bet is to find a cheap apartment IN grapevine.

don't be lured by cheaper rates in Euless or wherever.

live very close to your work.

the first day you spend an hour trying to commute 6 miles you will know you made a bad decision to save $200 a month

and anyplace in grapevine is safer than living anywhere in Houston.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree with above. Stay close to work to minimize driving time. No real places in Grapevine to avoid.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

due to the stupid amount of traffic in and around grapevine I would tell you you're best bet is to find a cheap apartment IN grapevine.

don't be lured by cheaper rates in Euless or wherever.

live very close to your work.

the first day you spend an hour trying to commute 6 miles you will know you made a bad decision to save $200 a month

and anyplace in grapevine is safer than living anywhere in Houston.
View Quote

I don't know. $1,000/month in rent on $40K/year is a bite and he's probably going to be hard pressed to get under $1,000/month in Grapevine. I ain't no one's Papa, but it is what it is.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]

When we moved back recently we actually had good luck with an apartment finder.  Gave him price range, location (roughly) and amenities that we wanted and he did all the footwork.  He came up with a list of 10 places, we narrowed that down to 5 and he got us tours of all of them.  The apartment finder service is "free" in that the apartment pays him once you sign on, so no cash out of pocket.  It really sped up our search and, with the exception of one place, every single one was what we were looking for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:17:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I lived in las Colinas for years before I moved to Keller area. Had no issues paid about 730 for 1 bedroom. Lots to do and can take train to Dallas for games etc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My step son was dating a girl going to college near there.  Apartments can be had at a reasonable rate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for the replies.  I plan on driving up tomorrow and spending a couple days looking around.

While browsing online I found quite a few I plan on checking out.  We'll see if they pan out!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally, I would stay away from anything on Mustang Drive.  There's not much violent crime in the area, but vehicle break-ins (especially at Grapevine Mills and Great Wolf are not uncommon).

Traffic in Grapevine has dramatically improved over the last couple of years.  The completion of the highway project made a huge difference.

Highway 114 serves as a dividing line of sorts between the north side and the south side.  Depending on which side you work on, you should really consider living on that side of 114.  It will save you a few minutes of commute not having to cross 114 everyday.  Just makes life easier.

Post back here when you get some options.  Just like all of arfcom, we're quick to provide an opinion.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top