BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
I don't like SB11. There are too many restrictions on where once can carry and it lets private colleges ban carry.
View Quote

Letting private colleges and universities ban carry follows the logic of current law.  Right now, every private business can ban carry just by posting a 30.06.  Not letting private schools ban carry would mean that they have less rights than another private property owner.

Now, I would support getting rid of 30.06, making all "no firearms" signs legally unenforceable and only making it crime for someone who's carrying to not leave the premises when verbally told to by the owner.  Other states work like this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MateFrio:
From Matt Krause

Since the Senate changed the bill before voting on it, HB 910 must go back to the House where the bill's author (Larry Phillips) can either concur in the changes or not concur. If the author concurs, then the bill goes to the Governor. If the author does not concur, then a conference committee is assembled on the House and Senate side. Then, those individuals hammer out the details and present it back to their chambers. But, I am fairly confident that Rep. Phillips will concur in the amended version and it will head to the governor's desk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
From Matt Krause

Since the Senate changed the bill before voting on it, HB 910 must go back to the House where the bill's author (Larry Phillips) can either concur in the changes or not concur. If the author concurs, then the bill goes to the Governor. If the author does not concur, then a conference committee is assembled on the House and Senate side. Then, those individuals hammer out the details and present it back to their chambers. But, I am fairly confident that Rep. Phillips will concur in the amended version and it will head to the governor's desk.

If that is the case (only the author concurring), it shouldn't be an issue.  The final version passed by the Senate still has not been posted to TLO, so I can't see what the differences are, but I'd be surprised if they were very significant.  

Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
You can look at who was voting for what on some of these amendments and probably make some educated guesses as to some elements of that deal.  If HB910 is getting sent back to the House despite the Huffhine amendment, I'd guess that HB910 finishing in the House is part of the deal as well.

That's an interesting point.  If Dutton's amendment was removed as part of a deal to ensure that the House has the final say on the bill, it would explain a lot.  It could be that the reason so many D's supported the amendment was to make it finish in the Senate and throw off the deal with respect to campus carry and the other bills that are held up in the House.  That would also explain why Charles Cotton was so alarmed by the amendment, if it were jeopardizing other bills that he has been fighting for.  

But if the amendment was actually slightly different, perhaps Huffines was more wiley than he appeared.  He may have modified Dutton's language intentionally (rather than due to copy-paste incompetence) to ensure that it would still finish in the House if the amendment were adopted, but then presented it on the floor as identical to Dutton's amendment.  We'll probably never know what really went on, but it would be interesting to see.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I really want to know.

And we're not going to learn by talking to staffers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't like SB11. There are too many restrictions on where once can carry and it lets private colleges ban carry.
View Quote

It's still better than our current situation.  It does have some unfortunate language about private colleges, but the upshot is that they can only ban carry by posting a 30.06 sign, which is something any other private property owner can already do.  Public colleges and universities would not be able to prohibit carry, and that's a big win.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By BobTheGreat:
It's still better than our current situation.  It does have some unfortunate language about private colleges, but the upshot is that they can only ban carry by posting a 30.06 sign, which is something any other private property owner can already do.  Public colleges and universities would not be able to prohibit carry, and that's a big win.
View All Quotes

I would still support it, but having gone to a private law school it hits close to home.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By soowah:

It was killed in 2013 after passing both houses. It was at the goal line but it needed a floor vote for some changes. I don't recall the details on it though. We thought it would be taken up in the special sessions but abortion barbie burned a lot of time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By soowah:
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
If they pass a bill in both houses, can it still be killed by the conference committee or do they at least need to address it before the session ends?

I really wouldn't worry too much. If both houses passed it and it's just a couple words out of place then they'll send it to Abbott. I think the Republicans want to pass this bill so that they can take it home. If it passed, I think it'll become law.

It was killed in 2013 after passing both houses. It was at the goal line but it needed a floor vote for some changes. I don't recall the details on it though. We thought it would be taken up in the special sessions but abortion barbie burned a lot of time.

No.  It never even got a floor vote in the House because Ponch was the Public Safety Chair.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The reason the Hutton/Hoffines amendment received such a lopsided vote (some REP against and some DEMs for) is that it is not being viewed as connected with open carry, but rather an  block for "ethnic" profiling. That's why the "inner city" representatives were all behind it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
it was obvious Huffines was getting counsel and acting out what is being told of him during the debate through that earpiece he kept fumbling around with .  We'll soon find out through people who know people in the know,  after all this is said and done.  

You think a gold plated Desert Eagle is too subdued?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I would still support it, but having gone to a private law school it hits close to home.  
View All Quotes

South texas college of law?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:12:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: soowah] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Texaspyro21:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Texaspyro21:

no

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By v6pwr:
it was obvious Huffines was getting counsel and acting out what is being told of him during the debate through that earpiece he kept fumbling around with .  We'll soon find out through people who know people in the know,  after all this is said and done.  

You think a gold plated Desert Eagle is too subdued?
View Quote

Can it be the Tiger striped gold plated one?????  If your going to go pimp you have to go full pimp.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RCK1999:
The reason the Hutton/Hoffines amendment received such a lopsided vote (some REP against and some DEMs for) is that it is not being viewed as connected with open carry, but rather an  block for "ethnic" profiling. That's why the "inner city" representatives were all behind it.
View Quote

That's exactly right.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#14]

If I'm the expert, we're all in trouble

There isn't really anything we can do with HB910 now and I think there is zero chance they don't move forward on a bill that has passed the House and Senate in the same practical form.  I'd say OC is a done deal at this point.

I'd say shift fire to the House and start putting pressure on them to get any/all of the already passed gun SBs languishing in House Calendars out for a vote ASAP - particularly SB11 (Campus Carry).  I'd also keep an eye on TSRA and Charles Cotton's posts to see if they mention any particular person who might need special polite encouragement to help SB11 along.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By AlamTX:

From Matt Krause

If this is the case, then we know who to call.

Before we call THIS time, I'd like to hear from some of our resident legal experts like Bartholomew_Roberts.  There seems to be a lot of confusion, still.

If I'm the expert, we're all in trouble

There isn't really anything we can do with HB910 now and I think there is zero chance they don't move forward on a bill that has passed the House and Senate in the same practical form.  I'd say OC is a done deal at this point.

I'd say shift fire to the House and start putting pressure on them to get any/all of the already passed gun SBs languishing in House Calendars out for a vote ASAP - particularly SB11 (Campus Carry).  I'd also keep an eye on TSRA and Charles Cotton's posts to see if they mention any particular person who might need special polite encouragement to help SB11 along.

Thank you, sir.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you to all the members with a legal background.  

You guys are very helpful to the rest of us simpletons.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:43:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vipergts] [#16]
Could someone please post the Huffines vs Dutton amendment language as it was approved in each body?

ETA: What exactly are the differences?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TXBO:

That's exactly right.
View All Quotes

That's exactly right.

That would explain certain anti-gun Dems voting for it.  It doesn't explain key pro-gun people voting against it, the repeated efforts to strip it out in the Senate, or why there is even a fight over such a redundant, meaningless amendment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to start my own Texas hate thread in GD.

I'm usually in on them defending us, but I HATE TEXAS POLITICS !!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#19]

That would explain certain anti-gun Dems voting for it.  It doesn't explain key pro-gun people voting against it, the repeated efforts to strip it out in the Senate, or why there is even a fight over such a redundant, meaningless amendment.
View All Quotes

That's exactly right.

Could it be due to pressure from LEO groups?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

That's exactly right.

A few REPs feel that it unreasonably restricts LEO from confronting a suitably profiled individual. A few DEMS feel it protects those suitably profiled individuals from being unreasonably harassed by LEO.
It boils down to a race issue. Not surprising - look at Baltimore, etc.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1fromtx:
I'm going to start my own Texas hate thread in GD.

I'm usually in on them defending us, but I HATE TEXAS ALL POLITICS !!  
View Quote

FIXED FOR YA
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By vipergts:
Could someone please post the Huffines vs Dutton amendment language as it was approved in each body?

ETA: What exactly are the differences?
View Quote

Here is an ugly cut & paste of the Hutton amendment. I can't find the Huffines text. Still looking.

Amend HBi910 on third reading by adding the following appropriately numbered SECTION to the bill and renumbering subsequent SECTIONS of the bill accordingly: SECTIONi____.iiSubchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, is amended by adding Section 411.2049 to read as follows: Sec.i411.2049.iiCERTAIN INVESTIGATORY STOPS AND INQUIRIES PROHIBITED. A peace officer may not make an investigatory stop or other temporary detention to inquire as to whether a person possesses a handgun license solely because the person is carrying a partially or wholly visible handgun carried in a shoulder or belt holster. Amendment No. 3 was adopted by (Record 295): 133 Yeas, 10 Nays, 1
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#23]

A few REPs feel that it unreasonably restricts LEO from confronting a suitably profiled individual. A few DEMS feel it protects those suitably profiled individuals from being unreasonably harassed by LEO.
View All Quotes

Hopefully that's all it is and not part of some larger behind-the-scenes fight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

I think there is a larger behind the scenes fight about Campus Carry. I just hope HB910 doesn't get pulled into the fight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

That's exactly right.

Yea, it's disappointing but there is a wide gap in philosophy between the conservative and moderate Republicans.  Huffman is a moderate.  Huffines is a conservative. This bill would have never gotten out of her committee with the Dutton amendment.  Many underestimated the support for the amendment and the bill with or without the amendment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TomB7777] [#26]
Why do people keep saying it has to go back to the house when the Texas Legislature web site says it goes straight to the Governor?
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/BillStages.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=HB910
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I was working late and missed all of this, but thanks for the play by play narrative. I've been reading through and was able to get the gist of it from y'alls posts.

One big step closer...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TomB7777:
Why do people keep saying it has to go back to the house when the Texas Legislature web site says it goes straight to the Governor?
View Quote

The website doesn't have a stage for concurrence.  There is a slight difference in language of the Dutton and Huffines amendments.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#29]

The website doesn't have a stage for concurrence.  There is a slight difference in language of the Dutton and Huffines amendments.
View All Quotes

Does ANYONE know what that slight difference is? The SB17 Huffines amendment as passed does not appear to be available online like the Dutton version.

If the difference is between MAY or SHALL language, could be a deal killer!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel like I'm being worse with holsters than my girlfriend is with dresses LoL I keep looking at them and cant find the perfect one! hahahaha

hooray for progress!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#31]
any news when the next vote or trip to the Gov will take place ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Does ANYONE know what that slight difference is? The SB17 Huffines amendment as passed does not appear to be available online like the Dutton version.

View All Quotes

I don't think anyone has seen the actual text of the amendment yet.  I've heard that only one word is different, but that could be incorrect.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Update emails from Patrick are saying it's going to the governor?!?!?!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

For all we know, we are just speculating at this point why this or that.  For certain, one straight anti-gun Dem outright said the only reason he's supporting the WHOLE bill is because it in itself contains Huffines amendment to prevent racial profiling of open carriers.
As for the Reps that was against it, most likely because they wanted to play safe and just want to pass a clean bill to assure passage and did not want to muddy or delay or risk losing the entire bill due to back and forth.  
For certain, there's talks behind closed doors, but I doubt it's a fight...more like a work-it-out-together sort of thing.  They're more gentemen/lady than you think.  Look at Senator Huffman when she was so insistent on her amendment, but after the inquiry and small talk amongst the group, she pulled her amendment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: motown_steve] [#35]
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/05/22/texas-open-carry-bill-senate-passes-minor-changes-force-it-back-to-the-house/

Voting against the bill were Senators Garcia, Hinojosa, Huffman, Lucio, Rodriguez, Uresti, Watson, West, Whitmire and Zaffirini.

Breitbart Texas learned the Senate general counsel confirmed
that the bill will have to go back to the House for a concurrence vote.
If the House approves the Senate changes it will go on to Governor
Abbott for signature. If the House does not concur, a conference
committee will have to resolve the difference between the two versions
of HB 910.

One source in the Senate said there could be as little as a three word difference between the versions.

Keith Elkins, Communications Director for the Lt. Governor told Breitbart Texas
the Senate will work with the House tomorrow to try and resolve the
different versions and get concurrence. Governor Abbott has consistently
said he would sign whatever open carry bill came to his desk. However, a
Friday evening tweet by the Governor made some wonder if he was
signaling a possible veto of the bill if it contained the
Dutton/Huffines amendment.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Vandy58:
Update emails from Patrick are saying it's going to the governor?!?!?!
View Quote

Could you "cut and paste" a copy of that email and post for the rest of us?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#37]
"While the Senate considered attaching ‘campus carry’ to this bill,
Speaker Joe Straus has assured the Texas Senate that the House will
approve a ‘campus carry’ bill in time to be approved by the Senate and
sent to the Governor to become law before time runs out on the 84th
Legislative Session,” concluded Patrick.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Once this goes to the governor for signature, please push the SB 476 for the NFA bill.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
"While the Senate considered attaching ‘campus carry’ to this bill, Speaker Joe Straus has assured the Texas Senate that the House will approve a ‘campus carry’ bill in time to be approved by the Senate and sent to the Governor to become law before time runs out on the 84th Legislative Session,” concluded Patrick.

The Senate already passed it. Why would it need to go back there (if unamended)?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#40]
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/05/22/texas-open-carry-bill-senate-passes-minor-changes-force-it-back-to-the-house/

Voting against the bill were Senators Garcia, Hinojosa, Huffman, Lucio, Rodriguez, Uresti, Watson, West, Whitmire and Zaffirini.

Breitbart Texas learned the Senate general counsel confirmed that the bill will have to go back to the House for a concurrence vote. If the House approves the Senate changes it will go on to Governor Abbott for signature. If the House does not concur, a conference committee will have to resolve the difference between the two versions of HB 910.One source in the Senate said there could be as little as a three word difference between the versions.

Keith Elkins, Communications Director for the Lt. Governor told Breitbart Texas the Senate will work with the House tomorrow to try and resolve the different versions and get concurrence. Governor Abbott has consistently said he would sign whatever open carry bill came to his desk. However, a Friday evening tweet by the Governor made some wonder if he was signaling a possible veto of the bill if it contained the Dutton/Huffines amendment.

View Quote

I looked on both of his Twitter feeds and couldn't find anything like that. What did the tweet say?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:57:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino] [#41]

Originally Posted By dan45678:

I looked on both of his Twitter feeds and couldn't find anything like that. What did the tweet say?
View Quote
https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/601950917307445248

It's a "I support the police" thing.   That was the justification used in the debates for not wanting the amendment to disallow questioning people solely for openly carrying a firearm.

It also has  bunch of cops tweeting him asking him to veto the Huffines amendment.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#42]
If he goes back on his word over a legislative affirmation of something the SCOTUS has already decided, a lot of folks are going to be more than a little upset.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By StealthCRF:

If he goes back on his word over a legislative affirmation of something the SCOTUS has already decided, a lot of folks are going to be more than a little upset.
View Quote

And, it re-affirms my position that people are going to get harassed by the police.

All people and all police? No. But would you want to open carry in Austin or Houston?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#44]

And, it re-affirms my position that people are going to get harassed by the police.

All people and all police? No. But would you want to open carry in Austin or Houston?
View All Quotes

I will
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#45]

I will
View All Quotes

I will

Then you'll be happy this amendment passed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Dino:

It's a "I support the police" thing.   That was the justification used in the debates for not wanting the amendment to disallow questioning people solely for openly carrying a firearm.

It also has  bunch of cops tweeting him asking him to veto the Huffines amendment.

View All Quotes

If that has any truth to it at all, he's going to get mobbed (as he should).    He campaigned specifically on open carry, and vetoing it after a session like this would be political suicide - he must know that.  

Again, the amendment doesn't prohibit anything other than bad cops abusing their authority.  It's redundant and unnecessary, but it's in there now, so let's accept it and get on with things.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#47]

If that has any truth to it at all, he's going to get mobbed (as he should).    He campaigned specifically on open carry, and vetoing it after a session like this would be political suicide - he must know that.  

Again, the amendment doesn't prohibit anything other than bad cops abusing their authority.  It's redundant and unnecessary, but it's in there now, so let's accept it and get on with things.
View All Quotes

While I agree with you that a veto would be rediculous, how many politicians lost their jobs for not passing open carry or campus carry the last two sessions?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I will

I will also, and I'm happy with the bill with or without the amendment.  If nothing else, it might save someone (maybe even me) some trouble from an overly ambitious officer, even if he knows he doesn't have anything that would actually stick.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

While I agree with you that a veto would be rediculous, how many politicians lost their jobs for not passing open carry or campus carry the last two sessions?

View All Quotes

If he actually vetoed this bill, I would try my damndest to make him the first.  I don't think I would be alone.  

This is all speculation though.  I remain confident that he will sign it and milk every it of credit from it he can.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Ann Richards vetoed the original CHL bill the legislature passed.

She was a one term governor.
Page / 77
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top