Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2015 11:12:46 AM EDT
Very well, gentlemen. I have resolved to host this thing at my luxurious apartment home in beautiful Farmers Branch, Texas. I have a garage and space for ten or so people. We'll need everyone to bring tools, experience, or parts to be built. Don't worry about bringing anything for the host, unless you wish to ingratiate yourself to the fruit monster with a small gift of fruit.

Below I have broken down the tool list by task. Once we have good coverage of these we'll set a date. Tentatively, let's shoot for April 11th. Please let me know if you feel like you can fill a gap. If your name is on here already, it's because you posted in the old thread. Let me know if you wish to withdraw or change anything.

GREEN means good to go. AMBER means maybe.

BEER!!! (bradleyc)
Snacks (bradleyc)

Receiver fabrication:

- Flat bending (bradleyc- torque wrench jig)
- Rail welding (CDFourtyfour- spot welder)
- Trunnion hole locating for drilling  (bradleyc)
- Heat treating (bradleyc- map gas torch)
- Finishing (bradleyc- black oxide) (Adventurer96- parkerizing)

Front end work:

- Rivet grinding (for receiver stub removal) (mplex2000)  (CDFourtyfour) (bradleyc)
- Barrel population (bradleyc)
- Barrel install/pull (bradleyc)
- Barrel pin drilling (if there are any virgin barrels) (CDFourtyfour) (bradleyc)
- Barrel finishing (bradleyc- black oxide) (Adventurer96- parkerizing)
- Muzzle device welding (if applicable) (bradleyc)
- Headspace gauging (eldiabloe357)

Riveting:

- Front trunnion (CDFourtyfour)
- Rear trunnion (CDFourtyfour) (mplex2000)
- Trigger guard (bradleyc) (mplex2000)
- Rivet squeezing (CA_TX-Cop- someone can pick up the tool since he can't come)

Misc tools:

- Shop press (CDFourtyfour) (mplex2000)
- Drill press (CDFourtyfour) (bradleyc)
- Dremel (CDFourtyfour) (bradleyc)
- Drill bits  (mplex2000) (CDFourtyfour) (bradleyc- I've got some AK specific bits and reamers)
- Punches (bradeyc) (CDFourtyfour)
- Hammers (bradleyc) (CDFourtyfour)
- Sand blaster (mplex2000)
- Air compressor needed for the sand blaster  (CDFourtyfour)

I am literally right across the street from Elm Fork Shooting Range, so we can knock out test firing there. Seriously, it's a 90 second drive. I will have some ammo on hand for test firing purposes.

If you'd like to pitch in and buy a tool, it seems like Toth has top notch tools which do not require a shop press. Also check http://ak-builder.com/.

Let's do this, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
who's bringing the trashcan

Y'all have fun and BAM BAM BAM.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If I can't make it I'll drop off the park tanks and solution ahead of time.

ETA: I have a smoker I've used to Gunkote a few guns. I'll bring that as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
At the very least it looks like we'll be able to fabricate receivers and parkerize them. So if you come with a flat, you can leave with a ready to build receiver.

Here's what Mr. USPS is taking his sweet time delivering to me. Mid-70s AMD-65. Original barrel. Extension already welded on. Not pictured is the complete triggerguard. FCG is US. I neckbearded pretty hard for a couple weeks and got this for $300.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok guys, since we have a date of the 11th and a garage. I will get my tools pack up, and hopefully I have a week to order a couple new kits.

I am officially good for the 20ton press/ getting casters soon. I have the 120v spot welder but need to order  the attachment from AK builder. I have a large table top drill press. I have most all of the drill bits and the drill bit jig from AK. Builder. I have a decent Dremel with a ton of attatchments.  I have punches and assorted ball peen hammers.
Let's get this done and have some fun!  Chad

If the weather looks good I am wiling to haul my
small smoker and cook ribs - 6hrs cook time, chicken -3 hour or burgers.

Ok as I type like shit, I have on order the proper tip for the spot welder, the rail adjustment tool to compliment that as well as the AK 47 trunnion jig tool.

Let's figure the rest of the tools out. Homer bucket and oil?
C
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok guys, since we have a date of the 11th and a garage. I will get my tools pack up, and hopefully I have a week to order a couple new kits.

I am officially good for the 20ton press/ getting casters soon. I have the 120v spot welder but need to order  the attachment from AK builder. I have a large table top drill press. I have most all of the drill bits and the drill bit jig from AK. Builder. I have a decent Dremel with a ton of attatchments.  I have punches and assorted ball peen hammers.
Let's get this done and have some fun!  Chad

If the weather looks good I am wiling to haul my
small smoker and cook ribs - 6hrs cook time, chicken -3 hour or burgers.
View Quote

You're a great American. I sent you a lead on a used set of those tongs for cheap.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Wish I had a parts kit and receiver so I could build one with you guys!  
Sounds like a great opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wish I had a parts kit and receiver so I could build one with you guys!  
Sounds like a great opportunity.
View Quote

Get you a flat and come get it good to go for later. Can't hurt.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't like aks, but can i come for the free beer?

Jk.  Great offer Bradley.

Txl
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody got an air compressor? Riveting jigs? Barrel tools?

Air compressors for cheap if you need one: http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=air%20compressor&sort=rel
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#12]
And post some parts kits!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess I'll bring my jobsite air compressor. 160 -180 psi I think.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we need a riveter jig. Correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CA_Tx-Cop has a rivet squeezer. That will probably suffice for front trunnions. But yes, we need jigs for the rear trunnions, center supports (a long rivet jig works for both) and for the trigger guard rivets.

The Toth Tool jigs are super cool. I really want a whole set of Toth stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but would the following work?

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/rec-ak47.aspx

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/kit-vz58-bakelite.aspx

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the  trunion  jig from AK builder will do both front and rear trunions. I will have both the blue and red adapters for both calibers. On order. 2 day express.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not dumb at all. I'll give you a good reply later on. I'm on 635 presently.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I have no tools or experience, but I DO have parts and a very strong desire to learn how to build them into a working AK.

I also have fruit.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Good luck everyone I will miss this one as I will be in VA for work.

Put me down for the next one for sure!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a handful of flats that I already bent but never had the equipment to weld the rails, and a Draco to convert to standard rear end if form comes back. I'll dig up the flats if I can find them and I'll donate all but one if anybody needs one.

I also have super high temp silver solder for muzzle device attachment, but you'll need a torch setup.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Short answer? No. The standard AK design and the VZ 58 are quite different. The two products you linked dont go together. The VZ 58 is its own ball of wax, and I don't know much about It. I'd recommend steering clear for now.

The "universal" receiver blanks and flats available require you to locate and drill the trunnion holes. You'd need this tool to determine where the holes should be and this fixture for drilling. I haven't accounted for those in the parts list.

I'd recommend getting a fairly common kit and a receiver or flat to match. For example, I posted my AMD-65 parts kit above. I bought this flat specifically made for it. I could have also used a 100% completed and finished receiver from a manufacturer like Nodak Spud. Of you shop around you can find what you want.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#23]

I'd love to do this if I could get 922r/tools/flats/receivers in time.  Maybe next round.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd love to do this if I could get 922r/tools/flats/receivers in time.  Maybe next round.
View Quote

It's 25 days! I bet you get paid between now and then.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got a handful of flats that I already bent but never had the equipment to weld the rails, and a Draco to convert to standard rear end if form comes back. I'll dig up the flats if I can find them and I'll donate all but one if anybody needs one.  

I also have super high temp silver solder for muzzle device attachment, but you'll need a torch setup.
View Quote

I'm getting a map gas torch. From what I've read, that should do the trick.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have no tools or experience, but I DO have parts and a very strong desire to learn how to build them into a working AK.

I also have fruit.

View Quote

Good enough!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn. Is it really 25 days?  For some reason I got it in my head that it was much sooner.  My sense of time is all warped out these days.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#28]
i dont have any ak tools i have a 10gal air compressor smaller 2 gallon and general tools like that. I have a mess of kits i'de like to get least one done but have never attempted such so i'de be a compete newb lol. I have a complete receiver dont need to bend a flat or anything.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Yes, but you'll need to spot weld the internal rails, drill pin holes and heat treat the receiver after.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

That doesn't look like it has the rails, either. It would take a significant amount of drilling and would require the fixtures to get the holes right. I'm not planning on having those at this time.

A simpler solution would be to get something like this and bend it. Bending is a lot easier than drilling. You'll have to ream a couple holes to get them perfect, but by no means will it be as drill intensive as a receiver blank.

The one I linked to is specifically for Romanian guns. If you have a Bulgarian or Yugo kit, they have flats for those too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
We still need barrel tools!

If you're shopping around for a kit to build, I've taken the liberty of looking around and compiling these deals (all in stock at the time of writing):

Polish AKM parts kit $299.99

Bulgarian chrome lined barrel $189.99

Receiver flat $24.99

Add in your choice of rivets, a center support, and 922(r) compliance parts and you've got a high speed, old school AK that's not Yugo or Romanian for about $550. And no 4473!

That's what I'd do if I had the extra coin sitting around right now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm still not sure if I'm in, because I don't know what my schedule is for April, but I've got a buddy who has a press, and some barrel tools, if I can make it, I'll give him a call and see if I can toss it in the back of my truck to bring with me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Is there still room for me to jump in on this?  I've got a matching Romy G kit and an NDS-1 that I need to assemble.  Been sitting on it for about 3 years, and I've got it completely demilled and ready to go (need to press the barrel pin & barrel out though).
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Ok the USPS brought the spot welder tong we need today. So, now we can spot weld rails now.

Oh, I also have the rail alignment tool. Or tools. Credit cards and whiskey do not ever mix. I guess I should list the other on the EE.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#36]
UPDATE

I just bought a load of tools, so we are good to go on hardware! The checklist in the OP is updated. By all means, bring extra tools if you've got them. I've contacted some members to see if we can use their tools even if they can't make it, so I am fairly certain that between us we can get everything we need.

I'd hate to have to hold a meeting before the meeting, so if you would please email me your RSVP and confirm what tools you're bringing. Even if you're not bringing tools, RSVP to let me know you intend to come. Please be ready to commit when you send it. We'll be counting on you.

Here's what I've got going on. All matching AMD-65. Previously built on a now defunct US receiver, with ugly tack welds, awful goopy black paint and some frost in the (original) bore.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Please email me to RSVP!

Gentlemen, we're two weeks away. Please let me know if you're coming and what you're bringing.

If you're still looking for a cheap, high quality build project, here's a few deals (in stock at the time of writing):

Hungarian underfolder kit $234
Chrome lined barrel $89
Hungarian underfolder receiver flat $35 or NDS-1H completed and finished receiver $115 shipped

To round out this build, you'll need a rivet set, a center support rivet, barrel pin, and 922r compliance parts (probably best to get a trigger group, muzzle brake, and gas piston). You can do this build for under $500.  You can't even buy a WASR-10 with crooked sights for that price!

Oh, and does anyone have a tack welding setup we can use? I'll need to pin and weld a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey guys, I still have the rivet squeezer available, if it's needed, would just need someone to grab it from me to bring to the party.

I am now working overtime on the night of the 10th into the morning of the 11th and am working the 11th as well, so unless the OT gets cancelled, which IS possible, I won't be able to make it at this time.

I am near I-30 and west loop  820 if anyone is close enough to grab it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Please email me to RSVP!

Gentlemen, we're two weeks away. Please let me know if you're coming and what you're bringing.

If you're still looking for a cheap, high quality build project, here's a few deals (in stock at the time of writing):

Hungarian underfolder kit $234
Chrome lined barrel $89
Hungarian underfolder receiver flat $35 or NDS-1H completed and finished receiver $115 shipped

To round out this build, you'll need a rivet set, a center support rivet, barrel pin, and 922r compliance parts (probably best to get a trigger group, muzzle brake, and gas piston). You can do this build for under $500.  You can't even buy a WASR-10 with crooked sights for that price!

Oh, and does anyone have a tack welding setup we can use? I'll need to pin and weld a muzzle brake.
View Quote

What date &time? I dunno what kit to do, rommy g, Polish uf, hung uf or amd 63. I have fixed stock reciever already.  All the kits minus hung uf are orig barreled kits not demilled yet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I've emailed bradleyc and I'm in on this.

I'll be bringing the following tools:

flat-bending jig (no press needed, you just tighten the bolts to get it to bend the flat)
barrel press fixture and tubes
trigger guard rivet drill guide,
front trunion press fixture,
barrel pin press support plate,
barrel pin press tool

please note that almost all my tools are for a press, but i do not have a press.  Is anyone bringing a press?

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Be sure to post pics of your new builds when y'all are done!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've emailed bradleyc and I'm in on this.

I'll be bringing the following tools:

flat-bending jig (no press needed, you just tighten the bolts to get it to bend the flat)
barrel press fixture and tubes
trigger guard rivet drill guide,
front trunion press fixture,
barrel pin press support plate,
barrel pin press tool

please note that almost all my tools are for a press, but i do not have a press.  Is anyone bringing a press?

View Quote

CDFourtyfour and mplex2000 are listed as bringing presses.

I might buy a press today. I've got a barrel pin that is one for the ages. I beat all the finish off of it. I bent punches. I mushroomed the ends. I beat the ever loving cat piss out of it. I broke off a drill bit in one side and a punch in the other. If I don't get it out soon I'm going to lose my mind.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Wish I'd known earlier.   I've got one about 90% done and two more that I've only just removed old rivets/reciever stubs.  Was dreading putting them together without the special tools that make it so much easier, like the trigger guard rivet jig.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I will bring a shop press. It's slow but it works.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Not to step on y'all's thread, but these things look like a real pain in the ass to build.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not to step on y'all's thread, but these things look like a real pain in the ass to build.
View Quote

It's all about the tools, man. I went out and bought a shop press in anger, and it solved my problem handily. With the right tools it's effortless. The ass pain only starts when you get to working with improper tools- which generally only occurs when you first get into AK building.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#47]
By the way, I have a 12 ton shop press now.

I have also acquired an arc welder for pin & weld barrel jobs, and the shittiest drill press in the world.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:25:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
It's all about the tools, man. I went out and bought a shop press in anger, and it solved my problem handily. With the right tools it's effortless. The ass pain only starts when you get to working with improper tools- which generally only occurs when you first get into AK building.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to be into AKs. I get used ones off EE that people built, and I'd have to mess with them to get them to work right. No lie, every AK I have ever shot that was built with C clips instead of a shepherd's hook, C clips fell off, firing pins walked and...

I kept several extra Kreb's sheet metal shepherd's hooks, just in case.

But I never pressed a trunion or barrel, or folded a receiver.

Then I got rid of my AKs and went all ARs. It's actually been more work because you don't need the kinds of tools that make you say "FUCK IT! WHO'S THE NEAREST SMITH!"

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

What size diameter is the ram on the press?  I want to make sure my barrel pin press tool will fit it

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What size diameter is the ram on the press?  I want to make sure my barrel pin press tool will fit it

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My handy dandy Chinese analog caliper says 1 1/2''.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top