Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 6:13:01 PM EDT
Nina Pham was the nurse who contracted ebola while treating the Nigerian guy who came here and then died. She is claiming that the hospital didn't provide her any training in dealing with the patient and did not give her protective gear for several days. They also claim that they violated her HIPAA rights by releasing the video of her when she was at the NIS.

I'm generally not big on suing, but if her claims are true (that her boss googled how to treat ebola patients and handed her a printout, and they sent her in without protective gear), then I hope she wins.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Show me the money.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Do what u gotta do. Easier than winning the lottery.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I read "The Hot Zone" twenty years ago:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hot_Zone

I think I know more about Ebola than Texas Health and Nina Pham.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course she is
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I read some of the claims yesterday.

I have no idea if they're true or not, thought it all sounds plausible.

If that's true, she needs to get paid big time. Forcing untrained workers to treat a highly infectious deadly disease based on a Wikipedia article seems incompetent to the point of being criminal.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Contracting Ebola, suffering it, and then being treated for it "easier"?  

Says the guy who didn't get it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odds are in her favor.
Contract ebola, hipaa violation, recover, sue and win > winning lottery
You don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I was an ER and ICU. Nurse
Don't  think I would sue
Actually.  Pretty sure I wouldnt
But I don't know enough details
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Odds are in her favor.
You don't get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odds are in her favor.
You don't get it.

Yeah I get it.  I wouldn't call being awarded a win in a lawsuit over contracting Ebola "winning lottery".

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#11]
News report on tv the other day made it sound like they are working to come to some agreement with her out of court.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Could probably get more money selling her "Ebola resistant" blood on the Internet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Odds are in her favor.
You don't get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odds are in her favor.
You don't get it.

Worst attempt at drawing a comparison ever.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Could probably get more money selling her "Ebola resistant" blood on the Internet.
View Quote

To be honest, she'd make a fortune doing that.  But I'm sure it's illegal in some way.  

As to the suit - man I don't know.  It is the responsibility and obligation of an employer to provide their staff with the access to knowledge and the tools to be prepared.  The facts of the case will come out.  However, if indeed her supervisor knowingly sent her in there without the knowledge and protective equipment that anyone reasonably should expect (while waiting in the hallway), then some explaining is in order.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

To be honest, she'd make a fortune doing that.  But I'm sure it's illegal in some way.  

As to the suit - man I don't know.  It is the responsibility and obligation of an employer to provide their staff with the access to knowledge and the tools to be prepared.  The facts of the case will come out.  However, if indeed her supervisor knowingly sent her in there without the knowledge and protective equipment that anyone reasonably should expect (while waiting in the hallway), then some explaining is in order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where the supervisors usually,practice their leadership and perfect their management style.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
News report on tv the other day made it sound like they are working to come to some agreement with her out of court.
View Quote

of course they will. a very sympathetic plaintiff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I realize at the time everyone was running around screaming "ZOMG!!11!  Ebolaz everywhere!!1one" but my question is pretty simple:  doesn't releasing her name to the public and disclosing that she's contracted ebola violate HIPAA laws?  Did she provide written authorization to release this information?   If not, that alone is grounds for a serious payday for her.

I get sick of all this crap when hospitals or stores get breached by hackers, your health or financial data is lost, and the only thing the company does is say "We'll pay for 1 year's worth of credit monitoring".  Fuck that bullshit.  These companies need to feel some serious heat.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, this will never go to court.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
If her claims are true, she deserves to get paid big.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If her claims are true, she deserves to get paid big.
View Quote

If her claims are true there needs to be criminal charges against those in charge at Texas Health.

Scrubs and a gauze mask aren't protective equipment vs hemorrhagic fevers.
When I saw the "protective equipment" in the DMN I thought...WTF!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Wanted to post this link, but specifically a couple of good quotes from the article.

http://www.dallasnews.com/ebola/headlines/20150303-texas-health-responds-to-two-claims-in-ebola-nurse-nina-phams-suit.ece

The lawsuit said the doctor’s note "demonstrates how misaligned THR’s priorities were. Even though THR’s own records indicate Nina’s condition left her unable to make important decisions on her own, THR had no problem asking for and relying on her consent to release information about her to the public for its own benefit.”

A doctor filmed Pham in her hospital bed Oct. 16 — the day she was transferred to the National Institutes of Health in Maryland for additional treatment. Pham told The News that the doctor told her the video was for "educational purposes” and intended solely for internal hospital use. Instead, the video was released to the public and went viral.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wanted to post this link, but specifically a couple of good quotes from the article.

http://www.dallasnews.com/ebola/headlines/20150303-texas-health-responds-to-two-claims-in-ebola-nurse-nina-phams-suit.ece

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The lawsuit said the doctor’s note "demonstrates how misaligned THR’s priorities were. Even though THR’s own records indicate Nina’s condition left her unable to make important decisions on her own, THR had no problem asking for and relying on her consent to release information about her to the public for its own benefit.”

A doctor filmed Pham in her hospital bed Oct. 16 — the day she was transferred to the National Institutes of Health in Maryland for additional treatment. Pham told The News that the doctor told her the video was for "educational purposes” and intended solely for internal hospital use. Instead, the video was released to the public and went viral.

So she gets public sympathy with $$$$$$ in donations and now can sue for $$$$$$$ due to HIPA violations.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

<snip>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Blood is an organ. (Not saying it isn't a weird way to look at it--just stating the scientific classification.)
http://healthcare.findlaw.com/patient-rights/can-i-sell-an-organ.html
Under the National Organ Transplant Act of 1984 (NOTA), any individual convicted of buying or selling human organs faces a five-year prison sentence and/or a hefty fine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Blood is an organ. (Not saying it isn't a weird way to look at it--just stating the scientific classification.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Under the National Organ Transplant Act of 1984 (NOTA), any individual convicted of buying or selling human organs faces a five-year prison sentence and/or a hefty fine.

Maybe she should take a vacation to Liberia or some other ebola infected shithole, and sell her blood there.  Isn't part of sales, location, location, location?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe she should take a vacation to Liberia or some other ebola infected shithole
View Quote

I'm down with that. I am sure they will settle with her.   I also hope no healthcare facility will ever hire her.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So she gets public sympathy with $$$$$$ in donations and now can sue for $$$$$$$ due to HIPA violations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the suit is not about enriching her, it's about punshing THR. it just so happens to enrich her.  any donations given to her are irrelevant.  Why would anyone give her money?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Blood is an organ.
Says who?
Blood is sold every day.

(Not saying it isn't a weird way to look at it--just stating the scientific classification.)
It's not classified as an organ.

Doesn't cover blood.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Blood is an organ.
Says who?
Blood is sold every day.

(Not saying it isn't a weird way to look at it--just stating the scientific classification.)
It's not classified as an organ.

Doesn't cover blood.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

the suit is not about enriching her, it's about punshing THR. it just so happens to enrich her.  any donations given to her are irrelevant. Why would anyone give her money?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the suit is not about enriching her, it's about punshing THR. it just so happens to enrich her.  any donations given to her are irrelevant. Why would anyone give her money?

There was a major donation drive across the country when this all went down which saw her dog receiving over $27K in donations.  Not sure how much she ended up getting after everything settled down but I understood that they had to completely clean out her place so many people wanted to help.  The other nurse didn't have any information provided about her due to privacy so there were much fewer folks donating to her which created a big fuss in some circles.

This entire episode helped remind us that this country was not prepared for an epidemic so I hope improvements have been instituted.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#29]
With the hospital system and doctors doing their typical dump on nurses during the start of the Ebola scare, she probably is pretty pissed at THR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top