BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2015 8:50:37 PM EDT

The sleet/snow/ice thing that is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]

<yawn>

that means that all the 'tards will be off the roads when I have to go to work.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Frisco ISD already closed tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Went grocery shopping today because Sunday is grocery day.  It was nuts.  I know I've been gone a while, but people were loading up like it was the end of the world.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Last ice storm we had here in Dallas last year, my neighborhood was without power for almost a week. Things got sorta thin when it came to food and with the area grocery stores closed it was like 2 weeks before things got stocked back up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<yawn>

that means that all the 'tards will be off the roads when I have to go to work.  

View Quote

^^^^

This will be nice, I personally love driving on ice. Smooth and steady locked in 4 high, help out the occasional tard that thought his prius could make... heheh
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#6]
We too lost power last year, but only for 8 hours or so. Fired up the truck, flipped on the 1000w inverter and ran cords inside so we could watch netflix and keep the fans circulating the air in the house with fireplace cranking
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Ch 8 says it doesn't hit till about 9:00 tomorrow morning. That will be a flustercluck for those stuck out in it. I hope it hits early if at all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I start a new job in the morning in down town Fort Worth. I'm glad I am staying a block away from the office, should make a good impression
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Be sure to take a selfie at the front door to email to your new boss who might not be there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell everything is closed tomorrow.  Schools already closed, not even waiting until 5am to make a decision.   Dallas County already shut down too...lol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Arlington schools anounced a couple hours ago. Kid is excited. I'll still be going to work as usual.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I got the mando-shaft at work tonight because a coworker couldn't be bothered to come in due the the trecherous driving conditions. Hell, I damnear hydroplaned once on the way in...

I was hoping to be digesting a nice steak by now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#13]
We just parked the travel trailer here at work. Kids are off tomorrow, so they'll be sleeping in the back and we'll be checking the buildings every hour or so.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I start a new job in the morning in down town Fort Worth. I'm glad I am staying a block away from the office, should make a good impression
View Quote

Have fun in that! I worked down there a few years ago when it was icy.  Lots of parking available and some slick ass sidewalks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to hide in my house to avoid the tards.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the closest intersection to where you will be working.  I've been down there for the past 17 years or so, but not today.  My couch needs me.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Got up and out this morning and couldn't make it past 30 bridge. 18 wheeler half fell off on the 30 bridge between dalrock and basspro
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have fun in that! I worked down there a few years ago when it was icy.  Lots of parking available and some slick ass sidewalks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like I'll be watching people drive around from the window today, office is not opening.

Ego, I'll be near 7th and Lamar.

Oh, and THUNDERSLEET!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
You're only a couple of blocks away, we'll have to do lunch one day.

There are some decent underground tunnels by your new place of employment.

THUNDERSLEET going through Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#20]
OK,, anybody else tired of hearing the word "thundersleet" on television news?

Last year lots of cars got damaged when ice slid off of steel roofed apartments. The apt's were 3 or 4 stories with a 45° angle from 30 x 50 ft metal roof surface about 10 ft from the parking to the building. Destroyed about a dozen cars in Plano.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Last year lots of cars got damaged when ice slid off of steel roofed apartments. The apt's were 3 or 4 stories with a 45° angle from 30 x 50 ft metal roof surface about 10 ft from the parking to the building. Destroyed about a dozen cars in Plano.
View Quote
http://youtu.be/6bbIBs0P2t0

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What's the closest intersection to where you will be working.  I've been down there for the past 17 years or so, but not today.  My couch needs me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, more arfcommers work downtown too?  We're going to have to organize an official arfcom lunch pretty soon it sounds like.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think they must mean thunderstruck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So, more arfcommers work downtown too?  We're going to have to organize an official arfcom lunch pretty soon it sounds like.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM me the date.  Maybe we can meet up for a sack lunch in Burnett Plaza.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A new italian place opened up recently, Vivo 53.  I've not tried it yet but it looks pretty good.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Count me in for a lunch . I've only had lunch at Bailey's once, but it was pretty good I thought
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#28]
lunch downtown Ft Worth?  That tiny BBQ place across from the federal building
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Company said 10am start time Monday... bust hump to get my driveway shoveled and when I get there at 9:50 and another manager is heading out the door with her laptop and locking up.  Apparently a text went out that we were closed today that I did not get.

Dammit....

Now we are 10am start tomorrow.

It was not that bad driving.  December 5, 2013 was much worse, I drove West Loop 820 from 377 to 199 that day... including all 3.350 feet of the Lake Worth Bridge.

Tomorrow will be do-able.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I got in early this morning and took the backroads which weren't bad at all.  Major highways and roads from what I could tell were in pretty decent shape.  Of course everyone is going like 20mph which pisses me off.  You can easily go 10 below the speed limit without issue but whatever.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Baileys?  I'd rate them as 'ok', nothing special.  The price can't be beat, but there's better choices in the nearby area.  Plus they only have like 5 tables for seating.

Anyway for the downtown workers in this thread, let's try to set up lunch for next week, Friday (27th)?  Payday for everyone right?  My suggestion is that new Vivo 53 place; what does everyone else like?  One rule, your restaurant suggestion MUST be in downtown, not "uptown" or stockyards, or what some people think is downtown south of I-30 but really isn't.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Baileys?  I'd rate them as 'ok', nothing special.  The price can't be beat, but there's better choices in the nearby area.  Plus they only have like 5 tables for seating.

Anyway for the downtown workers in this thread, let's try to set up lunch for next week, Friday (27th)?  Payday for everyone right?  My suggestion is that new Vivo 53 place; what does everyone else like?  One rule, your restaurant suggestion MUST be in downtown, not "uptown" or stockyards, or what some people think is downtown south of I-30 but really isn't.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely, but when I'm near and want a sausage sandwhich...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#33]

I am looking forward to actual snow that is in the forecast. Should be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be out of town next Friday or i'd be in
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Company said 10am start time Monday... bust hump to get my driveway shoveled and when I get there at 9:50 and another manager is heading out the door with her laptop and locking up.  Apparently a text went out that we were closed today that I did not get.

Dammit....

It was not that bad driving.  December 5, 2013 was much worse, I drove West Loop 820 from 377 to 199 that day... including all 3.350 feet of the Lake Worth Bridge.

View Quote

Why?

You will not get a ticket here for not doing it...

Besides, it will be gone in a couple of days anyway.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why?

View Quote

Until yesterday I didn't even know that was a thing. I heard a neighbor outside scraping up ice on the sidewalk. He had nearly cleaned every single inch of sidewalk, in front of his house, down to bare wet concrete. It was impressive but it was also the only house on the whole street with a cleared sidewalk.

When I got outside to see what he was up to, he greeted me nice and friendly and offered to let me use his shovel when he was done. Told me "I dont know what every one else is thinking but you better clean you sidewalk before you get fined"

I looked at him like a cow looking at a new gate. I had never heard of such a thing and was trying to instantly recollect if some new ordinance had been passed or maybe the HOA published something I missed.
Then it dawned on me. "Say neighbor, you recently moved to town?" "You betcha" "Did you happen to move from outa state?" "Yeah, Michigan"

"Yeah...we don't get fined for not cleaning the ice off the sidewalk. I mean its nice of you to do that and all but since we only get ice a few days out of the year, we just usually stay inside and skip it"

I wish I could have recorded the facial expressions because it went from "Fsck that I just cleaned this whole damn side walk!" and slowly morphed into "That was the last time I am cleaning that damn sidewalk"

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Until yesterday I didn't even know that was a thing. I heard a neighbor outside scraping up ice on the sidewalk. He had nearly cleaned every single inch of sidewalk, in front of his house, down to bare wet concrete. It was impressive but it was also the only house on the whole street with a cleared sidewalk.

When I got outside to see what he was up to, he greeted me nice and friendly and offered to let me use his shovel when he was done. Told me "I dont know what every one else is thinking but you better clean you sidewalk before you get fined"

I looked at him like a cow looking at a new gate. I had never heard of such a thing and was trying to instantly recollect if some new ordinance had been passed or maybe the HOA published something I missed.
Then it dawned on me. "Say neighbor, you recently moved to town?" "You betcha" "Did you happen to move from outa state?" "Yeah, Michigan"

"Yeah...we don't get fined for not cleaning the ice off the sidewalk. I mean its nice of you to do that and all but since we only get ice a few days out of the year, we just usually stay inside and skip it"

I wish I could have recorded the facial expressions because it went from "Fsck that I just cleaned this whole damn side walk!" and slowly morphed into "That was the last time I am cleaning that damn sidewalk"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

I think the influx of new Texans are demanding/insisting on snow plows.  

NTTA seems to have a whole fleet of them now.  It was humorous to see the sparks flying on the news last night as the ice was being “plowed”.

I just hope these new Texans don't try to implement too many of the liberal ideas they left behind.    
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Can we get back to lunch please.  What day, what time, where at.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

NTTA seems to have a whole fleet of them now.  It was humorous to see the sparks flying on the news last night as the ice was being “plowed”.

I just hope these new Texans don't try to implement too many of the liberal ideas they left behind.    
View Quote

just because you dont see the sparks during the day doesnt mean its not sparking
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dammit....

Why?

#1. My driveway is really steep.  I would slide down it and be across the street and in my neighbor's living room in 3 seconds.  I also cannot get back up it like that.

#2. Maybe I am strange, but I hate feeling trapped in or like something is blocking my way.  If it snows / ices... I have a clear driveway.  Period!

#3. My wife is due at the end of this week with our third child.  I was NOT going to leave the driveway coated with ice should she have to haul it to the hospital.

There are places where you get a ticket for not shoveling your driveway?!?!?  Let me guess, some liberal hell-hole?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Told me "I dont know what every one else is thinking but you better clean you sidewalk before you get fined"

View Quote

They are thinking it is going to be melted in 3 hours.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm starting a new thread for the downtown lunch crew.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Here we go again. Just got home. 25 miles in 1.5 hours, and it isn't that bad yet. I saw 2 overturned cars. Bunch of moe rons out there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I shouldn't go to work today....Damn...
View Quote

Your cute ute will make it just fine.

Txl
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Ordinarily I'd try to defend the driving habits of Texans in weather like this, but I've lived in areas having to deal with worse snow/ice than what we're getting right now.  It is no worse than other winter storms we've had in previous years but today the traffic problems of people everywhere reached a whole new epic level of derp I never thought imaginable.  

I could have walked home faster than I drove and I'm not exaggerating that one.  Google traffic is not lying with that solid red everywhere.  People only want to go 2mph.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Ordinarily I'd try to defend the driving habits of Texans in weather like this, but I've lived in areas having to deal with worse snow/ice than what we're getting right now.  It is no worse than other winter storms we've had in previous years but today the traffic problems of people everywhere reached a whole new epic level of derp I never thought imaginable.  

I could have walked home faster than I drove and I'm not exaggerating that one.  Google traffic is not lying with that solid red everywhere.  People only want to go 2mph.
View Quote

Same here My faith in my fellow NorthTexans was severely shaken today.  Some were doing 2 mph approaching a hill that you really needed to carry some momentum to make it up... others were doing 50 on overpasses of solid ice swerving around those of us doing a more appropriate speed.

I have never seen so many pickups on the side of the road. We had to be at the hospital at 10am for my wife's C-Section scheduled for our third child today and we just about died a few times on the 4.5 mile trip that took us an hour.  I had the bed of my truck loaded with concrete pave stones, a few bags of play sand, pool salt, a couple of old front brake rotors, a couple of AR500 targets, a 25 foot length of chain, 3 jerry cans, and about anything else that I could find to add weight over the drive wheels.  We made it fine with only one time we slid on an uphill exit ramp with a bridge on it.  There were people spinning their tires right into the ditch, or letting them spin while sliding back into the cars behind them...

It was a mad house.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top