Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2015 8:29:37 PM EDT
If you want an NFA item, you better go and get it quick before ATF-41P is enacted,  as it appears NFA "shall sign" legislation is not a top priority at TSRA. OC seems to dominate.

Here is the priority list:

Top Priority Bills Filed to Date:

Open Carry Bills

HB 106 by Rep. Dan Flynn-Licensed open carry of a handgun (Identical to HB 291, HB 415)
HB 291 by Rep. Dan Huberty-Licensed open carry of a handgun (Identical to HB 106)
HB 415 by Rep. Debbie Riddle-Licensed open carry of a handgun (Identical to HB 106)
HB 164 by Rep. James White-Licensed open carry of a handgun
HB 910 by Rep. Larry Phillips-Licensed open carry of a handgun
SB 346 by Sen. Craig Estes-Licensed open carry of a handgun
HB 195 by Rep. Jonathan Stickland-Open carry of a handgun without a license
SB 342 by Sen. Donald Huffines-Open carry of a handgun without a license

CHL Related Bills

HB 198 by Rep. Dan Huberty-Relating to CHLs attending school board meetings
HB 226 by Rep. Ryan Guillen-Carrying a handgun by a CHL on governmental property (Identical to SB 273)
SB 273 by Sen. Donna Campbell-Carrying by a CHL on governmental property (Identical to HB 226)
HB 284 by Rep. Drew Springer-Lowers the caliber requirement for CHL handgun proficiency exam (Identical to SB 228)
SB 179 by Sen. Charles Perry-Lowers the caliber requirement for CHL handgun proficiency exam  (Identical to HB 284)
SB 311 by Sen. Donna Campbell-Makes changes to where a CHL can carry in PC 46.03 and PC 46.035  (Press Release)
HB 308 by Rep. Drew Springer-Places a CHL may carry a handgun

Hunting and Gun Ownership Related Bills

HB 206 by Rep. Jeff Leach-Relating to a sales tax holiday for firearms and hunting supplies
SB 228 by Sen. Brandon Creighton-an exemption from sales tax for firearms and hunting for a limited period
SJR 22 by Sen. Brandon Creighton-Relating to the right to hunt and fish-constitutional amendment. (Similar to HJR 61)
HJR 61 by Rep. Trent Ashby-Proposed constitutional amendment the right to hunt and fish. (Similar to SJR 22)
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What's ATFP-41?

Does the Tarrant County Sheriff still sign?

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's ATFP-41?

View Quote

For $130 you don't have to worry about again!  The ATF admitted it is so backlogged from letters it will take 2 years before they can even start entertaining it.  Hopefully by then we will not have an anti gun president who will trash that piece of shit rule.  On the back burner because the ATF put it on the back burner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
ATF-41p isn't in effect yet, and may or may not be delayed. Shall sign may or may not be required long term.

TSRA spends a lot of time doing the coalition building necessary to pass bills. This session the priorities are removing CHL  off limits locations (HB 308 and the most important to me) and OC.

2 years ago there was a ruckus that TSRA wasn't supporting OC. TSRA tries to advance legislation in the same priority as its members want.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's ATFP-41?

View Quote

ATF41p was the bull shit rule that obummer tried to force quickly on the ATF that closes a what idiots call a "loop hole" making trusts and corporations get LEO signature for NFA.  Right now trust and corps are exempt from that one step.  Although there is literally no evidence to support that people use it as a loop hole obummer wanted to get rid of that part.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ATF41p was the bull shit rule that obummer tried to force quickly on the ATF that closes a what idiots call a "loop hole" making trusts and corporations get LEO signature for NFA.  Right now trust and corps are exempt from that one step.  Although there is literally no evidence to support that people use it as a loop hole obummer wanted to get rid of that part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's ATFP-41?

Of course people use it as a loop hole. All kinds of people use trusts specifically because their sheriff won't sign.

That said, so what? The NFA is horseshit anyways.

I know, I know, Obama is a gun grabber. Yes, that is true.

But, I still want to know if Tarrant County will still sign. I am thinking of moving over there this summer and one of the big incentives is getting an SBR. I want an SBR and I would actually rather have it in my name than in a trust.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ATF admitted it is so backlogged from letters it will take 2 years before they can even start entertaining it.
View Quote

Not what ATF Director Todd Jones told me at SHOT.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
TSRA can only carry 2-3 bills at a time and if they are controversial...fewer. Not surprising that "shall sign" is not a priority right now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Supposedly the Williamson Co sheriff won't sign, so my question is, does it have to be the Sheriff? Can I have the chief of Round Rock PD sign if I live there? or Liberty Hill? or Cedar Park?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Supposedly the Williamson Co sheriff won't sign, so my question is, does it have to be the Sheriff? Can I have the chief of Round Rock PD sign if I live there? or Liberty Hill? or Cedar Park?
View Quote

just do a trust?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of people can legally sign:

Chief of Police for your city
County Sheriff
District Attorney
Head of State Police

There are others I'm missing I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ATF admitted it is so backlogged from letters it will take 2 years before they can even start entertaining it.

Out of curiosity what did Director Jones say about timeline.  My suspicion is that there is a good chance it will go into effect sometime this year, but would be interested if he conveyed  a more defined timeframe, 3 month, 6, 9 etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

just do a trust?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just do a trust?

I have one, but I was just considering contingency plans if 41p goes thru.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I just sent in a Form 1 to get it signed by Sheriff Dee Anderson a week and a half ago. His secretary did say he still signs off on the NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
TSRA can only carry 2-3 bills at a time and if they are controversial...fewer. Not surprising that "shall sign" is not a priority right now.
View Quote

Looks like OC is in trouble too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity what did Director Jones say about timeline.  My suspicion is that there is a good chance it will go into effect sometime this year, but would be interested if he conveyed  a more defined timeframe, 3 month, 6, 9 etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Summer, but no specific date. I took it to mean late summer, like Sept 1.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Won't sign for suppressors.  Everything else is GTG.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Georgetown PD will do a standard background check and sign as long as you don't have anything outstanding (the original intent of the law). Cedar Park does not, new guy aparently from California, decided to "defer" to WILCO Sheriff.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just paraphrasing a letter sent out last year once the June or July deadline passed, but they could have caught up.  Plus my guess is the NRA is still watching this like a hawk as this would be a national law and Texas would have no choice but the follow it if it became a law.  I am not sure what reach the TSRA has in Washington?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#20]
You totally missed my point, there is not one piece of evidence that anybody can find that somebody used this as a loop hole to then commit a crime with the NFA item purchased.  Also you sound like an Obama bot, having a legal trust or a corp is not a loop hole.  The law was written that way, that is not a loop hole.
Quoted:

Of course people use it as a loop hole. All kinds of people use trusts specifically because their sheriff won't sign.

But, I still want to know if Tarrant County will still sign. I am thinking of moving over there this summer and one of the big incentives is getting an SBR. I want an SBR and I would actually rather have it in my name than in a trust.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's ATFP-41?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You totally missed my point, there is not one piece of evidence that anybody can find that somebody used this as a loop hole to then commit a crime with the NFA item purchased.  Also you sound like an Obama bot, having a legal trust or a corp is not a loop hole.  The law was written that way, that is not a loop hole.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's ATFP-41?

Well, that's not what you said. You said there was no evidence that people were using trusts to get around CLEO sign off. People are absolutely using trusts to get around CLEO sign off. You never said anything about crimes.

But, I don't care that people are using it as a loophole. I think the NFA is bullshit.

As for me being an "Obama bot", that's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#22]
How closely is TSRA working with the folks who fell off the derp wagon?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At an industry roundtable with ATF and a number of distributors, that the goal  for 41P was June 30, 2015 .
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just sent in a Form 1 to get it signed by Sheriff Dee Anderson a week and a half ago. His secretary did say he still signs off on the NFA stuff.
View Quote

If he still has the same secretary, she was the nicest lady.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sandra Codwell I believe. But yes, it's still the same lady. I received my Form 1 back. Sent it in 1/8/2015. It was signed 1/23/2015. There was a delay since one of the Chief passed away a couple of days after I mailed it in.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How closely is TSRA working with the folks who fell off the derp wagon?
View Quote

I read on another forum that they may have reached out to the OCTC folks, but OCTC basically has gone nuclear on everyone.

OCTC and Watkins met with Dan Patrick's staff late last week. Hopefully the 'cool it' message got through.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2015/01/dan-patrick-staff-meets-with-open-carry-activists/
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]
The bill's been filed in the house, call your state reps.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB01179I.htm
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The bill's been filed in the house, call your state reps.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB01179I.htm
View Quote

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/find-your-representative/

This URL will give you links to your state representative and state senator.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Calling your senator won't do much right now but I assume a companion bill will be filed in the Senate sometime soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top