Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 9:00:53 PM EDT
CHL on a brewery tour is a no go right? Supposed to do a tour tomorrow and just wanted to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
CHL on a brewery tour is a no go right? Supposed to do a tour tomorrow and just wanted to be sure.
View Quote

If memory serves breweries are not a named no-carry place in the law.  Usually unless it is a brewpub, if they serve at all on-premises, most breweries have a small tasting room and it is free. so they almost surely don't derive 51% or more of their revenue from sales of alcohol for on-premises consumption. Unless it is 30.06 posted or you are notified by someone in charge (don't ask) it should be legal to carry.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
What ZIP code is the brewery located in?  You can get a list of TABC licensees by ZIP code here:

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/PublicInquiry/Roster.aspx

Don't carry in locations that say "Gun Sign: RED"...
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting, Witherspoon Distillery shows blank for gun sign, yet when I was there last year they were 51% posted.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#4]
if you are going to be imbibing said brews or distillations you should NOT be carrying...THAT will cost you your license.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you are going to be imbibing said brews or distillations you should NOT be carrying...THAT will cost you your license.
View Quote

There is no law or regulation that makes it unlawful to consume alcohol while carrying.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
True, but after you turn in those 4 coopins you're probably legally drunk.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Legally drunk"......  What's the problem?  Legally driving, legally carrying, legally drunk.....  

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Just ended up not taking it. Better safe than sorry.

Never saw a posted sign, but they were selling booze on premises.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is no law or regulation that makes it unlawful to consume alcohol while carrying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are correct as usual Sir...Mea Culpa.   BUT:     I for one, after being stopped by John Law for what ever reason, after consuming 4 shots
of a local distilleries finest while carrying my legally Concealed handgun would rather not be forced to explain it to the Judge that I was
with in my rights after said street commando decided I was breaking the perceived law..
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Jester King in Austin has a 51 sign inside of their building but all they sell is great beer and a few sodas
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jester King in Austin has a 51 sign inside of their building but all they sell is great beer and a few sodas
View Quote

If you look up their TABC license (BG849017) it says "Gun Sign: RED".  So their sign is correct.

I don't know what the deal is with TABC licensees where the "Gun Sign" field is blank though...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

you are correct as usual Sir...Mea Culpa.   BUT:     I for one, after being stopped by John Law for what ever reason, after consuming 4 shots
of a local distilleries finest while carrying my legally Concealed handgun would rather not be forced to explain it to the Judge that I was
with in my rights after said street commando decided I was breaking the perceived law..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about driving the car home and DWI?

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Legally drunk"......  What's the problem?  Legally driving, legally carrying, legally drunk.....  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funniest thing you've ever posted.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the definition of DWI radically different than the benchmark for carrying while "under the influence"?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just ended up not taking it. Better safe than sorry.

Never saw a posted sign, but they were selling booze on premises.
View Quote

Selling for off-site consumption is not an issue, CHL holders can legally carry in a package store.

Not seeing a sign could be a TABC issue for them...  IIRC, failure to do so by an establishment required to to post 51% is a defence to prosecution for a CHL holder.

Even though TABC's guidelines say the signs need to be conspicuously posted, I have seen quite a few establishments that make it nearly impossible to find.  From places with it behind the bar and other signs and stuff hiding it to one that put it way above the main entrance on the inside where you'd only see it if you looked up as you were exiting.  Because of the way the ceiling joists were you couldn't see it unless you were right under...

I really hate it when places don't prominently post their signage, be it the blue sign or 51%...  Conversely I really appreciate places that do post it where it can't be missed...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#16]
On an unrelated note. The pizza place down the street, that I fucking love, is now randomly posted 51% in the back of building, posted to the fridge. Gun sign on that tabc website above is blue.

Either gonna have to stop going there, or let TABC know they are selling above their license. There was a shooting in their parking lot and a body found in the woods behind them earlier this year at different times.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Isn't the definition of DWI radically different than the benchmark for carrying while "under the influence"?

View Quote

Not that different. There's no specified BAC for making carrying illegal, just being "intoxicated" is it. For driving there is a set limit over which you're automatically considered intoxicated, but you can still be intoxicated if you're below that limit.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On an unrelated note. The pizza place down the street, that I fucking love, is now randomly posted 51% in the back of building, posted to the fridge. Gun sign on that tabc website above is blue.

Either gonna have to stop going there, or let TABC know they are selling above their license. There was a shooting in their parking lot and a body found in the woods behind them earlier this year at different times.
View Quote

My experience complaining to TABC about places posting 51% even though they are by TABC's web site supposed to be sign=blue has not been very effective.  I've entered complaints on TABC's web site a couple of times but Stubb's BBQ in Austin continues to post 51% even though it is highly unlikely to be true and TABC's web site shows only one license for that address and it is BLUE.  On the other hand, TABC does apparently take it very serious if an establishment fails to post any sign.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My experience complaining to TABC about places posting 51% even though they are by TABC's web site supposed to be sign=blue has not been very effective.  I've entered complaints on TABC's web site a couple of times but Stubb's BBQ in Austin continues to post 51% even though it is highly unlikely to be true and TABC's web site shows only one license for that address and it is BLUE.  On the other hand, TABC does apparently take it very serious if an establishment fails to post any sign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which Stubbs?  Mean eye cat or the big one?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one on Red River.  Mean Eyed Cat is probably legitimately 51% since it is mostly a bar.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  DWI uses the word intoxicated, just like Carrying While Intoxicatee.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not that different. There's no specified BAC for making carrying illegal, just being "intoxicated" is it. For driving there is a set limit over which you're automatically considered intoxicated, but you can still be intoxicated if you're below that limit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, DWI does not list a "set limit".  Both DWI and Carrying While Intoxicated each make it unlawful to either operate a motor vehicle or carry a handgun "while intoxicated".  Neither specific offense lists a definition of intoxication, nor specify a limit.  The definition of intoxicated is found in penal code 49.01.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:20:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Actually, DWI does not list a "set limit".  Both DWI and Carrying While Intoxicated each make it unlawful to either operate a motor vehicle or carry a handgun "while intoxicated".  Neither specific offense lists a definition of intoxication, nor specify a limit.  The definition of intoxicated is found in penal code 49.01.

View Quote

DWI (49.04) uses the definition in 49.01, which says

(2) "Intoxicated" means:

(A) not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or

(B) having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

(2) "Intoxicated" means:
(A) not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(2) "Intoxicated" means:

Yep, that's what I wrote.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top