Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 7:37:35 PM EDT
Got a wedding to go to in Abilene and thought about spending some time in Austin beforehand.  I have 2 or 3 bbq places I want to stop at, but was wondering if there was maybe a steak place that might be recommended.  Now, I'm not a steak guy and the wife and I are blue collar folk (I'm not even bringing a suit to wear at the wedding, LOL) so, someplace like Eddie V's might be more upscale than we'd like.  But hey, if you think a place is decent, and I can get by with khakis and a collared shirt, post it up.  

Also, of the Walmarts in the area, who might have the better ammo selection?  Got a Christmas discount that will need to be used when we are on the road.  I'll have to get the ammo apps updated with that area, LOL.

I did find a couple threads in here in the Texas forum for other restaurants, so I'm looking into those too.  I had the Eddie V's website up the other day and the wife asked about if I was thinking about it.  Told her maybe, but I'd ask around to see what some of the locals might recommend.  My favorite BBQ place in Memphis was recommended by someone on a forum who was local, and never mentioned on any TV show I've ever watched.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never been there but I have heard Austin Land & Cattle (on Lamar Blvd) is decent for steaks.  Not to be confused with chain restaurant Texas Land & Cattle.  As for Walmart, the one at Mopac & 290 seems to have a decent selection.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
There are a bunch of good steak places here in town but they will be north of Eddie Vs when it comes to price tag.  (Perry's, III Forks, Flemings)  

That said none of these places require a suit or even a tie.   I don't think there is a steak place here in town that you wouldn't be OK in a decent pair of khakis and even just a polo/golf shirt.   I have worn khakis and a button down shirt to all the restaurants listed above at one time or the other.

However, if you want something a bit less formal and easier on the pocketbook, I would suggest Barlett's (formerly Houston's) at the corner of Anderson and Burnett.  I always have a good meals there and their steaks are really pretty good for not being a dedicated steak place and the cost.  Keep in mind Barlett's is not a "steakhouse" as they have a more varied menu but there are steaks on the menu and they have a really nice but reasonably priced wine list (if that matters to you).

Wife and I go there probably 5 or 6 times a year (for the past 8 or 9 years) when we want a nice filet in a more  relaxed atmosphere without the $200 bill that comes one of the more high end steak houses.   I regularly wear jeans, boots, and a button down to Barletts and never feel under dressed.

Another option would be Roaring Fork.  There are two locations, but the one at Stonelake (on Braker Lane) is really good as well.  Very similar cost, varied menu and ambiance to Bartlett's.  If the weather is nice Roaring Fork has a better patio/outdoor seating that Barlett's that overlooks the old quarry that is now a small lake.

If you want to roll up, my personal favorite steak restaurants is Perry's on W 7th.  They also have a ridiculous pork chop as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never been there but I have heard Austin Land & Cattle (on Lamar Blvd) is decent for steaks.  Not to be confused with chain restaurant Texas Land & Cattle.  As for Walmart, the one at Mopac I-35 & 290 seems to have a decent selection.
View Quote

Fixed.

They have a good selection most of the time.  I prefer the Academy that's just south of there, but if you have a discount to use at Walmart then going to Academy doesn't really help you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info so far.  I've been doing inventory checks (it's been slow at work today) on a smoker that I think we'll be buying and it appears that most of the stores in the upper half of the city have one (as of today).  Since we'll be all around the city, we'll probably do some recon work and check out a few of the locations once we get down there.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#5]
You are coming here (Abilene) for a wedding and you are going to take the extra 4hr drive to go see Austin????

SIR, I LIKE YOUR STYLE!!!!

Dont forget to go to Perini's while you are here , its in Buffalo Gap 10 min south of Abilene.  Some of the best damn steaks around!  
If you get bored IM me, might have time for a beer!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
visit silencer shop :)
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have never been there but I have heard Austin Land & Cattle (on Lamar Blvd) is decent for steaks.  Not to be confused with chain restaurant Texas Land & Cattle.  As for Walmart, the one at Mopac & 290 seems to have a decent selection.
View Quote

Haven't been to ALC in a good while. I remember loving it, though!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are coming here (Abilene) for a wedding and you are going to take the extra 4hr drive to go see Austin????

SIR, I LIKE YOUR STYLE!!!!

Dont forget to go to Perini's while you are here , its in Buffalo Gap 10 min south of Abilene.  Some of the best damn steaks around!  
If you get bored IM me, might have time for a beer!
View Quote

No, not to see Austion.  To eat BBQ in/around Austin.  Being as we are from Kansas City, the BBQ capital of the worl' ya know, , we can't NOT visit some places if we're going to be that close.  Our original plan was to go down to Houston for the Space Center and then up through San Antonio before Austin, but work and costs kinda squished that plan.  Like the wife said, we're not sure we're using the wedding as an excuse to go eat BBQ, or the other way around.  Perini's looks good!  Half to see if it would fit into the plans.  We may not get into Abilene until right before the rehearsal dinner and we're bugging out early Saturday after the shindig to take some miles off our Sunday drive time.

Just may have to stop by Silencer Shop.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for Perry's.    
As stated their pork chops are amazing and if you are in town on Friday they have a fantastic lunch special on them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
ALC is good as is Sullivan's.

For more casual steaks you could hit up the Hoffbrau on W. 6th near Nueces or Rio Grande
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
You can go anywhere in Austin in khakis and a collared or button down shirt. I'm curious where you are eating for BBQ.  Anyway, you could hit up Flemings, III Forks, Sullivans, Austin Land & Cattle (not to be confused by Texas Land Cattle) and Vince Youngs Steakhouse.  I'd probably go to VInces.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably hit Louie Mueller's on the way into Dallas.  Franklin's and The Salt Lick.  I have watched Aaron Franklin's videos on youtube for brisket and ribs enough times I think I have them memorized.  Also, when Anthony Bourdain visited on one of his shows, his response confirmed what I had already known: that I would some day eat there.  

This thread convinced me to put Louie Mueller's on my list also.  I left the pics up at work for a week.  Probably could have had everyone in my department ready to board a bus and roadtrip it for some 1.5 lb ribs.

Someone at work mentioned the Salt Lick the other day at work, so I penciled it in, LOL.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey, been back for a little over a week now, and just wanted to drop back by and update this thread.

Stopped at Louie Mueller's in Taylor on our way to Austin.  Cool, cool place.  Scarffed one of their big 1.5 lb beef ribs and some brisket.  Loved them both.  Don't even remember what we had for dinner that night (EDIT: In N OUT Burger. Yummm.), but scouted out several of the Walmarts on my list.  We hit Franklin's Wednesday morning.  Got there around 9:30.  Line wasn't to the end of the building yet.  Hour and a half before the doors opened.  Another hour just to get to the door.  Another half hour from the door to the counter.  Turns out the guy cutting the meat used to live here in Kansas City, so got to talk BBQ shop for just a bit before setting down with what turned out to be the best brisket I've ever had.  Ribs were just as awesome.  Sausage was good too.  

Wednesday night was maybe going to be steak night, but we were too full from Franklin's to do a good steak any justice.  We continued our Walmart mapping.  Was weird that several of the stores had an immense number of crows hanging around.  The noise from them in the trees at one store was almost deafening.  Didn't know if anyone has a clue as to why they seem to pick a particular place or not?  Was like something out of Hitchcock's "The Birds".

We decided instead of either going back to Franklin's or trying Salt Lick in Driftwood (or Smitty's Meat Market in Lockhart), we'd take it easy and get our game plan together for our Walmart run.  We hit a couple antique malls too.  Big Daddy's Burgers and Bar off Research and Burnet Rd was great!    

We hit about 10 Walmarts to make sure they had the Oklahoma Joe's Highland offset smoker, as well as check out the ammo selection and rifles if they had any.  Most of the stores had the smoker, some had decent ammo selection and only 2 had rifles, with one having a Windham and a Colt onhand.  Hadn't really planned on a rifle, but hey, if it's 25% off and the wife doesn't mind, then why not pick up a LE6920 for $822....

Dropped a large chunk of coin at the Walmart at Hiway 1431 and 45 Friday morning before heading for Abilene.  Enough it sent both my credit cards into fraud protection mode, LOL.

Wedding in Abilene went fine.  And quick, LOL.  

Now, just waiting on all my mods to show up for the smoker so I can get cooking, but wanted to thank all of you for the info.  I'd like to get back down there and spend a week actually doing stuff.  Kinda regret not following through on the steakhouses, but at the time, my stomach just said no, LOL.  You guys have a Merry Christmas!!!

Also: very impressed with the pride in your state.  The number of houses with stars on the front as well as the overpass (good God, the heights and number of overpasses?????) supports with the stars and such was something not seen around these parts.  And my GPS was a lifesaver!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey, been back for a little over a week now, and just wanted to drop back by and update this thread.

Stopped at Louie Mueller's in Taylor on our way to Austin.  Cool, cool place.  Scarffed one of their big 1.5 lb beef ribs and some brisket.  Loved them both.  Don't even remember what we had for dinner that night (EDIT: In N OUT Burger. Yummm.), but scouted out several of the Walmarts on my list.  We hit Franklin's Wednesday morning.  Got there around 9:30.  Line wasn't to the end of the building yet.  Hour and a half before the doors opened.  Another hour just to get to the door.  Another half hour from the door to the counter.  Turns out the guy cutting the meat used to live here in Kansas City, so got to talk BBQ shop for just a bit before setting down with what turned out to be the best brisket I've ever had.  Ribs were just as awesome.  Sausage was good too.  

Wednesday night was maybe going to be steak night, but we were too full from Franklin's to do a good steak any justice.  We continued our Walmart mapping.  Was weird that several of the stores had an immense number of crows hanging around.  The noise from them in the trees at one store was almost deafening.  Didn't know if anyone has a clue as to why they seem to pick a particular place or not?  Was like something out of Hitchcock's "The Birds".

We decided instead of either going back to Franklin's or trying Salt Lick in Driftwood (or Smitty's Meat Market in Lockhart), we'd take it easy and get our game plan together for our Walmart run.  We hit a couple antique malls too.  Big Daddy's Burgers and Bar off Research and Burnet Rd was great!    

We hit about 10 Walmarts to make sure they had the Oklahoma Joe's Highland offset smoker, as well as check out the ammo selection and rifles if they had any.  Most of the stores had the smoker, some had decent ammo selection and only 2 had rifles, with one having a Windham and a Colt onhand.  Hadn't really planned on a rifle, but hey, if it's 25% off and the wife doesn't mind, then why not pick up a LE6920 for $822....

Dropped a large chunk of coin at the Walmart at Hiway 1431 and 45 Friday morning before heading for Abilene.  Enough it sent both my credit cards into fraud protection mode, LOL.

Wedding Abilene went fine.  And quick, LOL.  

Now, just waiting on all my mods to show up for the smoker so I can get cooking, but wanted to thank all of you for the info.  I'd like to get back down there and spend a week actually doing stuff.  Kinda regret not following through on the steakhouses, but at the time, my stomach just said no, LOL.  You guys have a Merry Christmas!!!

Also: very impressed with the pride in your state.  The number of houses with stars on the front as well as the overpass (good God, the heights and number of overpasses?????) supports with the stars and such was something not seen around these parts.  And my GPS was a lifesaver!!!!!!!
View Quote

Wish I'd seen this in time! My Great Uncle runs a gas station along Hwy 83/84 just south of Abilene, north of the split at Tuscola. He's one of the few that still makes sure to order the non-ethanol stuff, old drag racer back in the 50's/60's.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wedding Abilene went fine.  And quick, LOL.  

View Quote

Those are grackles.  They do tend to move around the area hanging out in a certain spot until they get chased off.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]
When is the wedding?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Wedding was on the 6th.  Was able to get out of Abilene by 4:30pm and hit Lawton,OK before too late.  Gave us an easy drive on the 7th, stopping for some Dog N Shake in Wichita for lunch.  Was home by about 4pm.  No real problems other than the wife forgetting the certificate for the extra discount.  But those weren't handed out before we left town.  Had to have her store fax it over to the store we were shopping at.  Bad fog though between Lawton and Wichita.

I have a video on my phone of the birds.  I should post it up on youtube or something.

Edit again: Wife commented that she'd never seen birds sitting on cars and such, like we saw with those.

Edit: did an image search for grackle.  Those birds look mean, LOL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top