Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 10:35:54 PM EDT
happened to find this place on the map today and was thinking about checking it out this weekend. Google reviews are hit and miss
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
happened to find this place on the map today and was thinking about checking it out this weekend. Google reviews are hit and miss
View Quote

It is a FUD range...  no FMJ on the rifle range, no "rapid fire", etc...

Check out Best of the West out in Liberty Hill or Lone Star Range down in Lockhart instead...
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check out Best of the West out in Liberty Hill or Lone Star Range down in Lockhart instead...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

typically go to BOTW but i cant stand how you have to pay seperate to shoot pistol and rifle and even different ranges on rifle. its also 20 miles away where Eagle Peak is only 5

BOTW is also no rapid fire and i have plenty of sp ammo. If thats the worst it is i think ill still try it out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]
If you aren't in to rapid fire and FMJ, Eagle Peak is OK.  There's a staff guy who can be a real jerk, but the place seems safer than many ranges I've been to.   After you get a range card, it's $12 a day with a spotting scope, as many guns as you want, for as long as you want.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I live about a mile from Eagle Peak and I will never go there again.
Instead I go ahead and go to Copperhead Creek, 12 mi east of Marble falls, Or ARC which is about 20 mi farther for me going the other way.
'Borg
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live about a mile from Eagle Peak and I will never go there again.
Instead I go ahead and go to Copperhead Creek, 12 mi east of Marble falls, Or ARC which is about 20 mi farther for me going the other way.
'Borg
View Quote

Yep. I'm here in Leander and refuse to go to Eagle Peak. It's a shit hole. Always busy, range officers are dicks, and no FMJ rifle.

I had just paid in the main building and walked out the back door with my rifles (in a sealed, locked, case) and apparently they were in the middle of a cease fire. How in the blue fuck I was supposed to know that, I don't know, but as soon as I opened the door the RO started yelling at me. Never went back after that. I understand no handling of firearms during a cease fire, but to expect everyone in the main building to be psychic and know you're in the middle of a cease fire before they walk out the door is just...

Best of the West for me.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Eagle Peak's advantage is that it is close to town, outdoors, flat fee, and pistol/rifle/shotgun box range/free clay throwers. Downsides are no FMJ, grouchy guy in the front (deal with the wife, she is sweet), and often crowded.

90% of the time we head to Best of the West.

Somebody tell me a little about Copperhead - How do you like the range?

Has anyone done the 4-wheeler rentals @ Hidden Falls?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I go to Eagle Peak on  the weekdays to do load development.  Been going there since they opened and  know the owners quite well.  Never had a single issue and never saw anyone yelled at that did not deserve it.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I go to eagle peak quite often, they recently raised the fee to $15 per day but it's still reasonable IMHO.  I try not to go on weekends to avoid the crowds, went on Veterans Day and there was maybe 5 people on the whole place...

As has already been said, no FMJ and no rapid fire, bench rest only on rifles (no standing no prone), but the facilities are quite nice.  Rifle range goes out to 3-400 yards and they have a golf cart to get you down and back quicker so cease fires don't drag on, all stations except box range are covered, and they don't even bat an eye at my SBRs or silencers.  The ROs can be a little "stern" one guy in particular likes to yell if you touch the bench during the cease fire, but if you follow the rules you will have no problems.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#9]
What John-in-Austin said is how I use Eagle Peak, too.  For load development or practicing shooting from the bench, it's a nice facility.  The golf cart sure is handy when you want to put up a target at 300.  And the best part is that it's cheap.  

I do like BotW for the tac bays when I want to run and gun and shoot steel, though it does suck to be limited to .223, Blackout, and pistol calibers in the bays.  Of course, the 1000 yard rifle range is awesome.  

I've been to Copperhead once.  We had a group of 7 shooters and set up steel on the long range out to 500.  It was very nice having the long range bay to ourselves, though it was unnerving when the guy behind the counter said we should stop shooting if we saw folks on motorcycles or four-wheelers on the trail above and behind the range.  The downside was that it wasn't cheap.  I believe they charged per shooter per hour.  

I went to Lonestar in Lockhart once, too.  Granted, it was Labor Day and packed, but I didn't like the range.  The facilities were very rudimentary compared to E.P. or BotW.  Shooting stations were shoulder to shoulder, and the only available target stands were shot up, so we had to wait for other shooters to leave so we could use their target stands before we could put up targets.  Perhaps it would have been a more pleasant experience on a less crowded day.  I do applaud the range for letting kids 12 and under shoot for free.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Eagle Peak's advantage is that it is close to town, outdoors, flat fee, and pistol/rifle/shotgun box range/free clay throwers. Downsides are no FMJ, grouchy guy in the front (deal with the wife, she is sweet), and often crowded.

90% of the time we head to Best of the West.

Somebody tell me a little about Copperhead - How do you like the range?

Has anyone done the 4-wheeler rentals @ Hidden Falls?

View Quote

I am letting my ARC membership lapse and signing up at copperhead creek, place is awesome!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Eagle Peak can be fun, especially if you want to shoot some clays with someone.  Depending on what you are wanting to do, other ranges within ~30 min are better.  Just down the road from Eagle Peak is the new 'Shady Oaks Gun Range' - They are an indoor range, and a bit pricey, but if you are just wanting to swing in and do some handgun shooting, they are pretty good.

The biggest complaint I have with Eagle Peak is the no FMJ on the rifle range.  If you have a pistol caliber carbine, can use it on the pistol range though, with FMJ just fine.  At minimum 1-2 seconds between shots though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Been yelled at twice at Eagle Peak......

1st time the grouchy old man at the counter chased me outside saying I never paid.  Several people in line said they saw me pay only to have to argue with the guy for 2 or 3 minutes that I didn't.  He finally lets me go shoot and utter the words "I will let you go this time, but I am not in the business to let people shoot for free"

2nd time was when I used the brass picker upper thing to clean the station that I just walked up too.  There was brass everywhere.  The RO said I was not allowed to do that.  I asked for him to do it and he say it is not time to do it yet.    So I just kicked all the brass out of the way while he gave me an angry look.  

It is a nice range and can't beat the price.....just lacking on the customer relations part.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Well i just returned from there, no one yelled at anyone and dont really have anything negative to say about the place
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]
You can rapid fire in the tac bays at BOTW, just not the rifle range
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Copperhead Is $10 an hr per person, or $25 for all day.
To be a member is $250 a year and access to all ranges, not sure about night shooting tho.
They also hold some competition for pistol and rifles, plus do have smallbore comp for FFA, Boyscouts, and NRA
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

typically go to BOTW but i cant stand how you have to pay seperate to shoot pistol and rifle and even different ranges on rifle. its also 20 miles away where Eagle Peak is only 5

BOTW is also no rapid fire and i have plenty of sp ammo. If thats the worst it is i think ill still try it out.
View Quote

You know that you can rent a tactical bay at BOTW for $12 ($6 for members) and do pretty much whatever you want right?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#17]
It sucks. Crotchety old assholes run the place. Best of the West is much better and not much farther of a drive.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Felt good to throw away my yellow card and I live like 5 miles away. Screw that place. I created a yelp account only to write a review.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#19]
BOTW and Copperhead Creek are much better, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Never been there but the comments above are spot on from what I've alway been told about the place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top