Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 11:17:08 PM EDT
Have y'all ever seen or do you see many tarantulas in the DFW area? I found a dead one today, the first I've seen in the nearly 10 years I've been here.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Have a friend near Burleson that sees them weekly, if not daily, just running across the pasture.

Hopefully won't be moving to Burleson anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
When i used to live out by Lavon, they were common.When i went out riding at night, they would be out on the blacktop
in droves.I think they were getting warm on the asphalt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Common especially in southwest Dallas out near Red Bird, Mountain Creek, Camp Wisdom and Joe Pool. Drier areas up on the Austin Chalk. I have never seen them in North Dallas or White Rock Lake.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have seen a couple in McKinney. Mostly in the evening walking around on the street.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]
It's mating season. We have 18 live holes in our one acre yard. The dogs are not brave enuf to fuck with them.

McKinney area
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I've lived here 40 years, in and around Dallas and College Station, never seen one in the wild.

I look forward to another 40 years of not seeing one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
This little bugger was in the Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area, right in the heart of the Metroplex!

I wonder if it's an invasion.

Seeing a tarantula doesn't bother me or scare me.

I just hope I never see a rattlesnake!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
They are all over the Benbrook, Crowley area.  Cover 1187 at times.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, up in Plano near the Arbor Hills park (by the JesusDome church complex).
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Been in DFW 16 years.  I've never seen one....and that's OK with me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Never saw one in DFW but when we went to pick up a dog in Witchita Falls I saw one.

Grabbed the dog, called in an airstrike and GTFO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#12]
9 times out of 10 the ones you see wandering around are mature males looking for a lady friend. Penultimate males are short lived so you've got nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Out here in rural NTX we have got a bumper crop this year. My wife is abnormally terrified by their presence. When she goes out to walk the GSD when I'm gone she carries a can of the 25' wasp spray.
I just went to Brookshires in Anna and bought all the cans they had in stock because Sam's already discontinued them for the season.
It's not the ideal product to deal with the situation, but it saves my marriage, my dog and my living in the country.
It would be my desire to just let them be, but that is not an option in my situation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#14]
you ought to see them march down near Fort Hood..I have seen the state road covered in the little bastards..

and yes, I have seen them on the ranch here in Lamar County and scorpions, and rattlesnakes and bull snakes and copperheads

and a road runner
Meep Meep..

who I understands LOVES them some snakes and spiders..

when I lived in Sunnyvale I saw one in my back yard, but that was 20 years ago..
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
you should go outside more
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

you should go outside more
View Quote

NOT IF THERE'S TARANTULAS OUTSIDE!!!

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

you ought to see them march down near Fort Hood..I have seen the state road covered in the little bastards..

and yes, I have seen them on the ranch here in Lamar County and scorpions, and rattlesnakes and bull snakes and copperheads
and a road runner

Meep Meep..

when I lived in Sunnyvale I saw one in my back yard, but that was 20 years ago..
View Quote

I saw a roadrunner once pulling onto the dirt road that leads to The Hun Farm. Those things are bigger and stockier than I thought. Pretty quick too!

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Was camping in Palo Duro State Park on the way to Colorado a few months ago. They were everywhere, when I was starting up the grill for supper a few ventured too close and I soaked them in lighter fluid and lit em up pretty funny.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't mind seeing one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Lived in DFW entire life and only saw one myself here last year visiting Restland Cemetery, big bastard too. He had a hole about a 12" from my dads headstone. I hate spiders big time but have to admit he was pretty cool. One of our old directors at work lived in Mckinney and told us she had the damn things every where. They liked to ambush her in her laundry room and scare the shit out of her.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Huh, been in DFW most of my life and I've never seen any.  Plenty of wolf spiders, snakes, rabbits and a few coyotes though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Used to see them all the time N. Carrollton, near aforementioned Arbor Hills park. My mother-in-law pleaded with me to shoot the first one she saw Got it with a shower rod instead, but it took a lot of hits and fought back, much to my surprise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Tarantulas? No.

Wolf spider the size of my hand?  YES! (De Soto - in the house when I was in high school)
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#26]
The road from Seymour to Crowell this time of year is covered with them, I enjoy running over as much as I cant, I hate spiders
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#27]
we used to have shitloads of them in Waxahachie; I caught one as a pet for my daughter when she was 5. We kept it for a month then released it; it was mean as shit.

my daughter just mentioned the lack of tarantulas last weekend. I think it's because we have had large numbers of lizards ( up to 12" in length, mostly 6-8") that are likely eating the spiders up when they're little.
we rarely see wolf spiders, for that matter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

we used to have shitloads of them in Waxahachie; I caught one as a pet for my daughter when she was 5. We kept it for a month then released it; it was mean as shit.

my daughter just mentioned the lack of tarantulas last weekend. I think it's because we have had large numbers of lizards ( up to 12" in length, mostly 6-8") that are likely eating the spiders up when they're little.

View Quote

Mean how? It would be trying to bite you/her?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's mating season. We have 18 live holes in our one acre yard. The dogs are not brave enuf to fuck with them.

McKinney area
View Quote

my old GSD used to eat tarantulas. I'd dig them up with the toe of my boot and he'd gobble them down.
he ate a bees' nest ( full of bees) once , too.
he once ate so many Junebugs that he crapped out a junebug-packed log about 8 " long.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah.
we had it in a butterfly cage on the deck; if you touched the mesh the little fuck would jump at your hand with his fangs out.
we'd toss a  grasshopper in every night and he'd annihilate it in a few seconds. I never bothered trying to handle him after that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#31]
lived in Dallas nearly 30 years and never seen a wild tarantula.

I did, just a few weeks ago, have a wheel bug land on the back of my neck at the gas station I was at in N. Dallas.

knocked him off and he scattered away. never had seen one of these before, had to look it up online. *shudder* I'm glad it didn't decide to bite me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

lived in Dallas nearly 30 years and never seen a wild tarantula.

I did, just a few weeks ago, have a wheel bug land on the back of my neck at the gas station I was at in N. Dallas.

knocked him off and he scattered away. never had seen one of these before, had to look it up online. *shudder* I'm glad it didn't decide to bite me.

http://mike.shannonandmike.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/img_4359.blog_.jpg
View Quote

Wheel bugs is good! They eats the grasshoppers.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Caught one in my back yard when I lived in McKinney kept it for a pet for about 7 or 8 years

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I saw a roadrunner once pulling onto the dirt road that leads to The Hun Farm. Those things are bigger and stockier than I thought. Pretty quick too!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and a road runner
Meep Meep..

they're pretty cool looking and faster than you can blink..I have one hunts the field/tree line on the south side of the ranch and one that hunts the east side across the road..both stand about 14" and yes, far stockier than the cartoon one gives the impression of.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Seen them in SE Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Killed one on my back porch just the other day. Hebron/w. Plano area.

Would have trapped and relocated but kids and dogs are were too curious.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Many years ago, my cousin in Fort Worth would catch them and keep them for pets.
I have seen huge numbers of them down in the Hill Country.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Dad brought me one he found when I was in seventh grade.  It was brown and furry and liked to be petted and held.  Kinda cute actually.  A few years later I dated some psycho broad with a black one.  Not friendly at all.  She asked me to feed it while she was on vacation so I just dumped a box of crickets and put a bowl in it's terrarium.   Stupid thing gorged itself on crickets to the point it burst.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Saw one in Fort Worth just off Hulen. It ran across my driveway and into my garage. They are speedy little devils. Never did see him again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Are you sure it wasn't Wendy Davis vagina?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Are you sure it wasn't Wendy Davis vagina?
View Quote
You sir, owe me a beer and a keyboard.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#42]

I had to work on my wife's uncle's detached garage roof back in the '90s. When I loaded the tear-off debris into the trailer I found 4 or 5 big juicy tarantulas. My wife didn't stick around long enough to see much of them. They were not aggressive at all, but they were probably full from eating the bugs in the garage. The house and garage were built in the '40s.

I have seen many roadrunners up near the LBJ Grasslands near Decatur. It's pretty cool to watch them run. A few of the landowners up there also have guinea fowl. Those are kind of weird looking birds. They do eat ticks though so a lot of people keep them around.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I've never seen a tarantula near Dallas in forty years but I saw a buttload of them when I got sent to subiaco,  AR. We used to stab them with frog sticks(giggers).

The only place ive been able to enjoy wildlife is at Mickey's. I used to see these big ant-looking bugs with alternating red and black rear ends. They were maybe an inch long,total bug. I told a friend about them and she said they were pretty poisonous.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes. Had one at my work in las Colinas, they were going to kill it so I caught it, took it home released it in a field.

Wolf spiders, everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I think the only one I've seen in 23 years of living in central Texas was probably in 1995 or so outside of a friend's house. It was a small one, too.

I guess I'm just not outside enough. Fuggin allergies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top