Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 1:15:10 PM EDT
http://abc13.com/archive/9223376/

Looks like they are trying to clear up that front plate deal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the reminder........good post!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reminder........good post!
View Quote

+1

CCW holders can renew online too!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Those went into effect last year

these went imto effect today
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those went into effect last year

these went imto effect today
View Quote

Thank you. What I read and what I posted didn't match up for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still didn't mention anything about the front plates.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think last year, it changed to be a misdemeanor not to exceed $200 in fines.

They should just get rid of front license plates all together.

A front license plate just looks retarded on my Ferrari that I don't have
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPS is against it and the 3M lobby (supplier of the reflective coating) is too strong.  That was what my local rep told me years ago when I wrote to him asking him to support a bill to eliminate the front plate requirement.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I can think of several serious crimes solved by front license plates being visible.

But, TX fixed that in the last session, and front plates are required again.  Though you wouldnt know it with how many vehicles I stop with no front plate.  Some folks actually tell me that their Mercedes dealer told them its not required !

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can think of several serious crimes solved by front license plates being visible.

But, TX fixed that in the last session, and front plates are required again.  Though you wouldnt know it with how many vehicles I stop with no front plate.  Some folks actually tell me that their Mercedes dealer told them its not required !

View Quote

Do you give tickets for this?

I think it is selectively enforced and a good way to have PC for stopping a person from what I've seen.  I see plenty of BMWs & other sporty cars without plates and rarely hear of folks getting pulled over, unless you count rednecks driving IROCs in East Texas.  I'd wager to bet most owners of high end cars would risk paying a ticket than damaging their toys.  I still chuckle when I see the LP on the dashboards of the various ricers - guess they never got the memo.

Glad I don't meet the profile.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
My neighbor(who owns a jag)said the dps told him it's only states that border Mexico that require front tags. I guess this is why LA and OK only have one.
BTW, he was stopped for expired inspection but got no tickets!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My neighbor(who owns a jag)said the dps told him it's only states that border Mexico that require front tags. I guess this is why LA and OK only have one.
View Quote

I was at a Firestone years ago when a lady was there trying to get her inspection done and stated she received 3 tickets that day by 3 separate agencies.  Middle aged woman with average car, just was unlucky to drive by traffic cops that day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not even close to being true.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  I'm curious the variances by state.  You would think with all the new plate reader technology various agencies are using, this would be a moot point.  I also never understood why motorcycles get a free pass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why?  I'm curious the variances by state.  You would think with all the new plate reader technology various agencies are using, this would be a moot point.  I also never understood why motorcycles get a free pass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, if we ran plates on top of our front fenders[M/C -UK] you think it would make a difference? LMAO
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So, if we ran plates on top of our front fenders[M/C -UK] you think it would make a difference? LMAO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my point.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#16]
What's your point?

ETA: One of my bikes has no front fender,what then?
Still, ROFLMAO
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

NY has two license plates.  As well as NJ and I believe Minnesota..
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think it is selectively enforced and a good way to have PC for stopping a person from what I've seen.  I see plenty of BMWs & other sporty cars without plates and rarely hear of folks getting pulled over, unless you count rednecks driving IROCs in East Texas.  I'd wager to bet most owners of high end cars would risk paying a ticket than damaging their toys.  I still chuckle when I see the LP on the dashboards of the various ricers - guess they never got the memo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What I cite for is irrelevant in this thread and way off topic and I would never disclose this in a public forum.

However its widely used in TX for PC for traffic stops.  I clear a lot of warrants, suspended driver licenses, no insurance and have cleared numerous felony warrants based on this PC stop.  I've had many discussions about TX case law and why the inside of the windshield is NOT the front of the vehicle to many people, mostly young kids, and a few wanna-be criminal justice graduates.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Theres nowhere to mount a license plate that wouldn't interfere with a very important piece of geometry, which would be the front forks.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's your point?

ETA: One of my bikes has no front fender,what then?
Still, ROFLMAO
View Quote

Plenty of bikes have no rear fender.

My point is, this license plate law should be required for all motor vehicles operating on public roads in Texas, zero exceptions.  If not, then it should be struck down.  Requiring a front LP on a high end performance vehicle is just as ridiculous as requiring front plates on bikes.  One group gets a free pass, the other doesn't.  This is just as bad as the seatbelt laws and allowing bikers to ride in packs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Theres nowhere to mount a license plate that wouldn't interfere with a very important piece of geometry, which would be the front forks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can think of plenty of places to put an identification on the front of a bike - seems to work for toll tags.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I can think of plenty of places to put an identification on the front of a bike - seems to work for toll tags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Well, name a few then Mr. Wizard
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What I cite for is irrelevant in this thread and way off topic and I would never disclose this in a public forum.

However its widely used in TX for PC for traffic stops.  I clear a lot of warrants, suspended driver licenses, no insurance and have cleared numerous felony warrants based on this PC stop.  I've had many discussions about TX case law and why the inside of the windshield is NOT the front of the vehicle to many people, mostly young kids, and a few wanna-be criminal justice graduates.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you clarifying the use of this law as a fishing expedition to be relevant.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im glad that everyone, including all 50 states DOT, bike makers and the rest of the world disagree's.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think you clarifying the use of this law as a fishing expedition to be relevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love booking people on their outstanding felony warrants.

But I can always say, TBOY on the internet said I should let you go......

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

You do realize that I'm a reformed biker?

Bracket on front fork (like the ones used for windshield kits), bracket drilled into the fender (like on cars), bracket on handle bars, even the form of a sticker.  Now, what kind of prize do I get??

I'm not advocating front plates on bikes but arguing there should be no legal punishment for the lack of front plates on other vehicles.  You have the same reaction as exotic car collectors have when they are told to damage artwork or face a fine.  Do you support front plates on cars? If so, why the double standard?

It's just a matter of equal protection under the law.  Everybody should abide by the same laws on the roads and be equally held accountable, otherwise I don't think these laws are legitimate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bracket on front fork (like the ones used for windshield kits), bracket drilled into the fender (like on cars), bracket on handle bars, even the form of a sticker.  Now, what kind of prize do I get??

I'm not advocating front plates on bikes but arguing there should be no legal punishment for the lack of front plates on other vehicles.  You have the same reaction as exotic car collectors have when they are told to damage artwork or face a fine.  Do you support front plates on cars? If so, why the double standard?

It's just a matter of equal protection under the law.  Everybody should abide by the same laws on the roads and be equally held accountable, otherwise I don't think these laws are legitimate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you are one thing i will never be son, a reformed biker.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
But I can always say, TBOY on the internet said I should let you go......

View Quote

If the only crime the person has committed is not having a front plate, do you issue a warning?

I'm on the record for being against fishing expeditions of any kind.  I don't like it but LE has been able to get away with abusing 4th Amendment rights for years when it comes to stopping cars.  I also have a problem with the policy of stop/frisk as I would if LE was allowed to search a person's house without a proper warrant.  Do you catch bad guys?  Absolutely.  Do you (as a collective not you personally) violate people's rights?  I think these tactics have caused the rift with LE in America.

Now, your question regarding motorcycle manufacturers not being able to adapt to the law is silly.  I see many cars on the roads today that were not designed for front plates.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not your son but did have over 100k miles of riding in the worst traffic in Texas in all weather conditions, so I'm not your typical rider that has more stickers on their trucks while keeping their bikes in the garage, only to pull out a couple of times a year and do those foolish toy runs with other amateurs.  You might change your mind once you have a serious crash, hoping that you survive.  Years later and I'm still not well and probably never will be which I'm reminded of every minute that I'm awake.  Not being able to get out of bed without pain, walk without pain, and not be able to do basic labor these past 2 years has reformed me.

ETA - The silver lining is that I've saved up so much ammo since I've been unable to shoot since my accident.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been on two wheels for 50 yrs., last Feb.
Hit two cars so far,dreading the third. I ride in DFW.Nuff said.

Oh, i did not mean that like son of mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have been on two wheels for 50 yrs., last Feb.
Hit two cars so far,dreading the third. I ride in DFW.Nuff said.

Oh, i did not mean that like son of mine.
View Quote

Cars are for amateurs.  You need to step it up to 18 wheelers.

ETA - How many miles do you commute daily on the interstate?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Steel is steel,hell, i can dodge better than that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#33]
OT: I ride about 20 miles a day on 635 and 75 during peak hours. Sometimes I do it on a plated dirt bike, and sometimes there are insane wind gusts on the high 5.

Most days are smooth and the cut-offs and "almost got me's" are easily spotted. Some days I get home and swear I'm never riding again.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually it always remained illegal not to have a front plate but a ticket could not be issued.  This was due to wording in the 2011 session when some wording was changed.  All they did last year was fix the glitch.  Front plates give cops another reason to write income.  I have not had a front plate in almost 10 years between here and Colorado which both states require it.  There is not a chance in hell of me ever placing a front plate anywhere on my bike and I do have a fender.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#35]
So, now this is a motorcyclist dick measuring contest thread now?

Great. Thanks guys! I was enjoying the flow of useful information.

*unsubscribe*
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I got in an accident and had my whole front bumper replaced without holes for a front license plate. I hope I don't have to drill some makeshift holes in it to be compliant.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I got in an accident and had my whole front bumper replaced without holes for a front license plate. I hope I don't have to drill some makeshift holes in it to be compliant.
View Quote
Double sided tape.....

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

So, now this is a motorcyclist dick measuring contest thread now?

Great. Thanks guys! I was enjoying the flow of useful information.
*unsubscribe*
View Quote

What useful information. A bunch of people arguing over the necessity of a front plate for some but not others? Or that that very point means it isn't necessary in the first place? Or that the law makes sense because it helps find wanted persons? Sorry we pooped in your corn flakes

Quoted:

Avlon, most new vehicles come that way from the factory and the holes get drilled at the dealer and a front plate bracket kit is installed. If you have an orignal manufacturer bumper, it may even have tiny little dimples to mark the drill locations for a factory bracket It sucks, but at least it won't look like some of the ones I see with a couple sheet metal screws going straight into the bumper cover, SRS sensors, condensers and wiring harnesses
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do in CT as well, but just as selectively enforced. The dealer when I got my last car outright told me that it was up to me, they'd hand me the hardware and plate at the final transaction and if I chose to leave it off, my problem. This was a major new car dealer for the area, they have lots for everything from basic domestic to Porche. I rarely see any of the high end stuff with front plates unless it's a daily driver. So the 911 probably doesn't have a front plate, but the Panamera 4S does. (yes, I know, down there folks can use 911's as daily drivers, here it's not realistic over half the year.)

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I got pulled over in Glen Rose in my new 2014 Tacoma for not having a front license plate. Cop asked for my license and insurance, looked at it handed it back, said the law changed fyi and have a nice day.

That was that. all of 25 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Massachusetts requires front plates. It's not just states that border Mexico.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top