Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2014 10:57:25 PM EDT
We'll be relocating from Illinois to the Cleveland Texas area sometime in the next 6 months, do I need to do anything registration wise with my guns?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No need to register anything in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
As MAH stated... We don't have registration in Texas for pistols or rifles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
cut up your FOID as well!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to a free state.  No registration or papers needed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
By state law, all former residents of CA, IL, NY, MA, CT, MD and DC are required to register with TxDOSD (Texas Department Of Sheeple Deprogramming).
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#6]
You have to give everyone that posts in this thread 100 rds. of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#7]
In !  where's my 100?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
By state law, all former residents of CA, IL, NY, MA, CT, MD and DC are required to register with TxDOSD (Texas Department Of Sheeple Deprogramming).
View Quote

This

Welcome to Texas leave the beans for your chili in IL
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No need to register anything in Texas.
View Quote

And congrats on escaping to civilization.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You forgot, HI and NJ.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#11]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome! You guys are crazy, thanks all for the for the good humor and great advice! We can't wait to get out of this f#@$ed up state, our FOID cards will be the first targets we shoot when we get there! Thank you all for taking time to reply.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#14]
so wherez my 100 rounds of .22 shorts? I'm skeerd of real gunz,,,,
them boolits is to repel the whordes of boarders comming across the Rio Bravo,,,,,
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Welcome! I may or may not have travelled through your former state with a pew-pew in my truck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#16]
No just register your boat before you have an accident.  What brings you to Cleveland TX?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#17]
welcome to Texas don't cut up your foid card or anything else like it. Frame them as a reminder of where you came from.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Ha...No.

Man Illinois must really suck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

welcome to Texas don't cut up your foid card or anything else like it. Frame them as a reminder of where you came from.
View Quote

To Hell with that. I'd cut it up and throw it out the window while I was flipping off the "You are leaving Illinois" sign.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

To Hell with that. I'd cut it up and throw it out the window while I was flipping off the "You are leaving Illinois" sign.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd rather have it nicely framed to smack a Lib with when they think it's a good idea for here.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'd rather have it nicely framed to smack a Lib with when they think it's a good idea for here.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That works too!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Guns are g2g here.

Night hunting of hogs/predators and silencers for hunting game animals and hogs.

Laser sights are g2g for hogs, but are not allowed for game animals.

Don't carry your locking blade pocket knife to San Antonio

No CCW license required to have a (loaded) concealed handgun in your vehicle. No need to inform a LEO about it if stopped...UNLESS you have a CCW license

Be careful to registering your vehicle, changing your license, and the address on your insurance all at the same time.  Several municipalities in the DFW area consider this a source of funding Many folks will change their insurance, and maybe their license, but slack on the car registration.  Get pulled over for anything, get a toll tag, or apply for a Texas CCW and your asking for a hefty fine if you did not change the vehicle registration.  They will also collect taxes from you when you register, if you paid less in the state you came from.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to Texas. What area are you moving to? Can I have my .22 now?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Welcome to the free world.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Awesome! You guys are crazy, thanks all for the for the good humor and great advice! We can't wait to get out of this f#@$ed up state, our FOID cards will be the first targets we shoot when we get there! Thank you all for taking time to reply.
View Quote

1. Tape FOID card to 5lb jug of Tannerite
2. Film shooting it and post it to YouTube
3. ???
4. Profit
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Am I a bad person for laughing at the OP's OP?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#27]
get your CHL
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Ahhh, more good suggestions. :)  To answer a few of the questions; we're wanting to retire and buy in the Cleveland area. We like being fairly close to the ocean, close to a big city (Houston), far enough inland to not worry about hurricanes and just far enough north in the state to still make it back to see relatives. We've vacationed several times in the area, went to the DFW "big one" gun show, talked with a realtor and looked at some properties just to see how houses looked in Texas. It may sound silly but we have never seen a house without a basement! My wife had to see where everyone puts their "stuff". The one thing that stands out is how proud everyone is of their state! We want to share that proud feeling.

As far as the .22 ammo goes - NO! I'm keeping both boxes :) of 50 until the shelves get re-stocked. Might be a few more years...........
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ahhh, more good suggestions. :)  To answer a few of the questions; we're wanting to retire and buy in the Cleveland area. We like being fairly close to the ocean, close to a big city (Houston), far enough inland to not worry about hurricanes and just far enough north in the state to still make it back to see relatives. We've vacationed several times in the area, went to the DFW "big one" gun show, talked with a realtor and looked at some properties just to see how houses looked in Texas. It may sound silly but we have never seen a house without a basement! My wife had to see where everyone puts their "stuff". The one thing that stands out is how proud everyone is of their state! We want to share that proud feeling.

As far as the .22 ammo goes - NO! I'm keeping both boxes :) of 50 until the shelves get re-stocked. Might be a few more years...........
View Quote

From Cleveland take 105W to loop 336E in Conroe, will run into Academy.  There lies plenty of .22lr.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Not to scare you. But when it comes to hurricanes, Cleveland ain't that far from the coast. Granted, you may not get the massive rain. But you would get strong winds and possible tornadoes. I've lived 35 miles from the ocean for 45 years and it always seemed that the more inland areas got it worse than I did. Except for hurricane Ike. That one messed up my area something bad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not to scare you. But when it comes to hurricanes, Cleveland ain't that far from the coast. Granted, you may not get the massive rain. But you would get strong winds and possible tornadoes. I've lived 35 miles from the ocean for 45 years and it always seemed that the more inland areas got it worse than I did. Except for hurricane Ike. That one messed up my area something bad.
View Quote

Yep, Ike's eye came right over our house and we had 5-10min off sun and no wind. One of the wierdest shit ever. Then comes the 90+ gust from the other way and a tree feel on the carport and some of the house. Im 10 miles West of Cleveland. That one was crazy. Well they are all nuts. Weeks with no power is never cool.  Its all one big sleepless week tring to keep the generator gased up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#32]

When you get here take your FOID card to the range, shoot a nice group on it and mail it back to Illinois.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:03:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't even fly through CHI anymore on my way home to TX.

Land of Lincoln my ass, he would turn in his grave!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Carla  61 or 62 caused widespread damage in Fort Bend county with long power outages.  Don't know about East Texas but it was a bad ass storm and I feel that as big as it was and a class 5  till it got right next to land it bound to have caused massive damage in east Texas also.

In 1983 hurricane Alicia did not do too much damage in most of Fort Bend County.  Southwest of Houston.  In fact as an electrician we did not have too many real bad calls.

That night I got a call from my friends near Stevens creek or cold spring and they were in a world of hurt up there.  trees down everywhere.  I hauled three generators up there and did what I could to help.  They were out for weeks.

Once again Hurricane Rita did not hurt us much here a but we had several rotten poles break but it was worse to the East and I had friends in Cleveland area that were out of power for two weeks.

25 years after Alicia,    Hurricane Ike hit us very Hard.  This was due to poor line maintenance by center point energy due to deregulation and 25 years of wet weather with substantial tree growth.  We worked our ass off for 3 weeks changing poles transformer banks overhead line etc. people in parts of my town were out for up to two weeks while Center point energy left us hung out to dry and took their crews to river oaks in Houston . By the way this is verified truth.  But that's another story.

Alicia was the strongest storm I have been through Save Carla when I was two.  But Ike caused much more damage due to tree growth.

If you are going to live where your power runs through piney woods be prepared with a generator.

Leave your Liberal ways behind you come on down.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I 'm going to cross my fingers and hope we don't have any BIG storms and get a whole house generator!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#36]
You will not have to worry much about the winters anymore.  The summers up in those trees might be a challenge but thats what AC is for.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just passed 1yr in TX two weeks ago, and I'm still carrying my MA LTC-A right next to my TX CHL.

I never want to have to go through that shit again.

OP, that was a dumb question. Welcome to the free America. I still have very vivid memories of my first free sunrise in PA after driving across MA, CT, and NY in the early morning.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Welcome to freedom
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Don't over think this....just leave the Yankee bullshit up there and get ya ass on down here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#40]
As a former IL resident, welcome to the free US. I grew up near Peoria, had the FOID, kept guns locked in cases with ammo separate, the whole 9 yards. Now, I feel naked anytime I dont have a gun on my belt. The first few times you walk around with your concealed handgun, you feel like you're commiting a felony every 5 min. Then it goes away and that feeling is replaced with a sense of awesome power...like the feeling God gets when he's holding a gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Welcome to freedom!  As a gift to you, I would like for you to take teh 100 rounds you owe me and go shoot them!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

IN!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

IN!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IN!

Do I get double for the first reply?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You didn't have to register your guns with an FFL or anyone else in Illinois, why would you think you'd have to in Texas?

I still remember cutting up my FOID card.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We'll be relocating from Illinois to the Cleveland Texas area sometime in the next 6 months, do I need to do anything registration wise with my guns?

You didn't have to register your guns with an FFL or anyone else in Illinois, why would you think you'd have to in Texas?

I still remember cutting up my FOID card.  

I have purchased all my guns while living in Illinois and when I get to freedom (Texas) I'll want to sell some and buy others. I didn't know if they had to be registered in that state.   Right now you have to call an Illinois state police 800 number and verify the FOID mumber of each person, which logs the transaction,  before you can sell a gun to another resident. Since my guns will be crossing a state line I just want to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Don't start the Chili debate in this thread because we all know that Chili has beans.

Oh and to the OP welcome to a free state.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Don't start the Chili debate in this thread because we all know that Chili has no beans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Don't start the Chili debate in this thread because we all know that Chili has no beans.

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As a former IL resident, welcome to the free US. I grew up near Peoria, had the FOID, kept guns locked in cases with ammo separate, the whole 9 yards. Now, I feel naked anytime I dont have a gun on my belt. The first few times you walk around with your concealed handgun, you feel like you're commiting a felony every 5 min. Then it goes away and that feeling is replaced with a sense of awesome power...like the feeling God gets when he's holding a gun.
View Quote

He carries a 1911-A1 .45acp made by his disciple John Moses Browning!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I don't even fly through CHI anymore on my way home to TX.

Land of Lincoln my ass, he would turn in his grave!
View Quote

I doubt it. I'm sure he would be proud.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top