Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 3:19:03 PM EDT
I'm sure many central Texas members have read or heard about the tragedy that unfolded in Burnet. If not , as I understand it a constables son and several of his friends were under the influence of LSD when for whatever reason he retrieved what I believe to be an AR from the constables car. ( don't wanna go done the properly secured argument as I believe it was ) He then shot the two others. A terrible outcome for several families for which I am sorry everyone's loss. My daughter attended school with him and was hardly able to believe he could have done it.
  So here is my question. If this was a duty rifle owned by the county or personal? Since it was stolen and used in a crime, what happens to the rifle? Is it locked up as evidence even after trial, destroyed or returned to service? Are weapons stolen from LE returned to service if retrieved? Do departments ever press confiscated firearms into service like vehicles? Just curious...
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
LSD?  Is that still popular?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1...LSD?...thought that was history.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda thought so too. It was a bad deal. Can you imagine coming to your senses in jail and realizing what you did?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
When did this happen?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Aug 19, I believe. Scroll down the page for the info. https://www.facebook.com/llanocountynewswire
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Kinda thought so too. It was a bad deal. Can you imagine coming to your senses in jail and realizing what you did?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had this happen 30+ years ago in Austin.  I'm pretty sure the kid was on LSD when he grabbed his dad's pistol and tried to kill the entire family but only succeeded in killing his mother.  That is one messed up drug.  On a side note, my daughter claims her school is full of drugs and had no clue about LSD.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I heard about LSD was during my time in the Army.  When I was in Monterey, circa '95-96, approx.5 or 6 Airmen got busted for LSD after attending a rave party.  Hell my company was deployed for "Operation Goldenflow*" like 4 or 5 times in the 7 months I was there.  Apparently, LSD was popular in that part of CA, but I've always heard more about cocaine/MJ/meth-related stuff in TX.  

* I'm really glad there's no ribbon for that, I'd hate to think what it looks like.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont have an answer for you but never understood the need to destory a gunjust because the nut behindit killed or used it to rob someone. They dont crush all the cars and boats they get from drug bust so why the guns. I see a huge missed revenue for police dept. in selling those guns in auctions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sure many central Texas members have read or heard about the tragedy that unfolded in Burnet. If not , as I understand it a constables son and several of his friends were under the influence of LSD when for whatever reason he retrieved what I believe to be an AR from the constables car. ( don't wanna go done the properly secured argument as I believe it was ) He then shot the two others. A terrible outcome for several families for which I am sorry everyone's loss. My daughter attended school with him and was hardly able to believe he could have done it.
  So here is my question.

If this was a duty rifle owned by the county or personal? You seem to know more about this than anyone else.
Since it was stolen and used in a crime, what happens to the rifle? It sits in evidence.
Is it locked up as evidence even after trial, destroyed or returned to service?  A judge can release it to is owner.
Are weapons stolen from LE returned to service if retrieved?  Why wouldn't it unless there was something mechanically wrong with it?
Do departments ever press confiscated firearms into service like vehicles?  Probably since there are a ton of tiny poorly managed PDs out there,   but guns are cheap so it's stupid if they do. Using them for training, ie "this is a Tec9", is about the useful extent.

Just curious...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  So here is my question.

If this was a duty rifle owned by the county or personal? You seem to know more about this than anyone else.
Since it was stolen and used in a crime, what happens to the rifle? It sits in evidence.
Is it locked up as evidence even after trial, destroyed or returned to service?  A judge can release it to is owner.
Are weapons stolen from LE returned to service if retrieved?  Why wouldn't it unless there was something mechanically wrong with it?
Do departments ever press confiscated firearms into service like vehicles?  Probably since there are a ton of tiny poorly managed PDs out there,   but guns are cheap so it's stupid if they do. Using them for training, ie "this is a Tec9", is about the useful extent.

Thanks, I appreciate your time and answers. I personally used to wonder why small departments didn't do that more often. I remember washing out the receiver to my M60  ( self kick to the ass for selling it )at the Bertram car wash and visiting with one of the local volunteer guys and he was riding around with a well used SKS and Old model 10 smith. This was several years back however. He even had to buy his own ammo back then.
Just curious...

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#11]

99.9% of guns in evidence are trash.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

99.9% of guns in evidence are trash.  
View Quote

Makes sense to me. I would love to see the crazy stuff in evidence. Everything from the occasional bring back jewels and classics to the pimped out ghetto blasters.but I could easily spend a day touring airplane bone yards too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top