Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 11:04:54 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure out this new "portable electronic ban".

From the news articles I've read, it seems like the use of a GPS (i.e., having it visible so that it could be "used" by the driver to see what road they should take) would also be banned. Is the city council really that fucking stupid?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

From the news articles I've read, it seems like the use of a GPS (i.e., having it visible so that it could be "used" by the driver to see what road they should take) would also be banned. Is the city council really that fucking stupid?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It's Austin.. Brains<common sense

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps a link to whatever it is you are writing about?

Nevermind.  Relax, the sky is not falling.  The FIRST news article I read using a Google search made it clear the ordinance would not include GPS devices.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:22:03 AM EDT
[#4]
My smartphone IS my GPS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
So does that ban all the Austin traffic cops from using their cell phones and looking at their computer while they are driving too?

Edit - I am all for trying to prevent a few wrecks from people not paying attention to driving, but Austin traffic will still remain horrible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I heard a blurb on KOKE FM this morning.....
also something about all one-hole toilets in public spaces being re-branded as gender neutral restrooms. yay progress.
God, I need some fucking land outside this town.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Austin traffic will still remain horrible.
View Quote

A'int that the truth....
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The FIRST news article I read using a Google search made it clear the ordinance would not include GPS devices.  

View Quote

This is what I read:

Some electronic devices and their uses are not banned by the ordinance. That includes calling 911 to report an emergency or get emergency help, two-way radios, and GPS devices that are part of the car.

So unless it is a factory Nav system, you are SOL.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
DT.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Considering  one of these jackasses tore the rear bumper off the wife's car last Friday, then told her to wait while he took ANOTHER call,   I'd say it's a good law.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is what I read:

Some electronic devices and their uses are not banned by the ordinance. That includes calling 911 to report an emergency or get emergency help, two-way radios, and GPS devices that are part of the car.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FIRST news article I read using a Google search made it clear the ordinance would not include GPS devices.  

This is what I read:

It states  "portable devices".  In a vehilce mount  means  it's not portable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, glad we didn't stop in Austin last week for anything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So does that ban all the Austin traffic cops from using their cell phones and looking at their computer while they are driving too?

Edit - I am all for trying to prevent a few wrecks from people not paying attention to driving, but Austin traffic will still remain horrible.
View Quote

Laws only apply to commoners. Sorry, I meant civilians or whatever we are being called now

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
that's why ya'll are getting individual council districts; elect someone whoz not a
liberal moron & upset the balance of power;

just don't elect Mike Martinez for mayor unless you want sum gun control shoved up,,,,,
we'll I don't live there, just work there,,,,,,
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#15]
people are still going to use their phones no matter what ban or whatever the city passes. It's just now that they can cash in on it to fund their little liberal jerkfests.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
that's why ya'll are getting individual council districts; elect someone whoz not a
liberal moron & upset the balance of power;

just don't elect Mike Martinez for mayor unless you want sum gun control shoved up,,,,,
we'll I don't live there, just work there,,,,,,
View Quote

Yeah...  I don't get to vote either...  While I work inside Austin, I also live outside the city limits.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Can we high fence Austin now and make it open season? For fucks sake....
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Well this sounds like it's going to make navigating Austin a little more difficult when I get there. What do they want me to do, take my eyes off the road to look at a map?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Yet another law that will be ignored by almost everyone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Considering  one of these jackasses tore the rear bumper off the wife's car last Friday, then told her to wait while he took ANOTHER call,   I'd say it's a good law.
View Quote

NO.

Has the city also banned radios and other passengers talking?  Especially small children or babies?  There are plenty of distractions which is already covered under the law.  Last I noticed, billboards are still allowed along the roads.

ETA - How many of us are distracted from driving while looking for road signs & exits?  Maybe the city will issue designated navigators.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yet another law that will be ignored by almost everyone.
View Quote

And rightfully so.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
also something about all one-hole toilets in public spaces being re-branded as gender neutral restrooms. yay progress.
View Quote

What's wrong with not assigning a gender to permitted users of a toilet?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because silly  charges like stare rape come with gender neutral bathrooms in liberal cities....
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because silly  charges like stare rape come with gender neutral bathrooms in liberal cities....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stare rape!!! That was funny!! Don't forget Austin's war on plastic bags at the grocery store. It's truly like Animal Farm.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This is what I read:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I read:

A cellular phone is a two way radio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top