Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 12:24:35 AM EDT
So I've been reading about how important it is to find a good instructor so I'm looking for suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#1]

My last renewal I went to On Target in Wiskey Flatts.  It was alright... a little over the top and "gun shop commando" feeling, but alright.

My dad went to Elk Castle on the west side and loved it.  He said that the instructor was former US Marshalls and had some good advice about what to worry about and what is mental masturbation.

I had a shooting buddy say that the class at winchester gallery on the east side was the worst day of his life.

I took a Utah CHL class with Marty and Linda at Cross Fire Training in 2007, and they were great too.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I took a class given by Ft Worth police sergeant Keith McGuire. He was very professional and his class was super organized. His website could use some help, but I strongly endorse him as an instructor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try Crossfire. They seem to be very organized via their site and also do Utah which my wife doesn't have yet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I took a class given by Ft Worth police sergeant Keith McGuire. He was very professional and his class was super organized. His website could use some help, but I strongly endorse him as an instructor.
View Quote

I second Sgt. McQuire's class.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Went through "CHL Tarrant County." They have a table up at Cabelas selling slots in their classes for 60 bucks. My class was held at Quail Creek.

The instructor was a police officer, and I passed the written test no problem, but I think I'll be doing some extra review of the laws on my own time, as I didn't leave feeling like I knew all the legal details.

They also trotted in Texas Law Shield, who made a good pitch for their services. I ended up paying the 10 bucks a month for their legal representation in the event that I have to use my gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had a shooting buddy say that the class at winchester gallery on the east side was the worst day of his life.

View Quote

The class at Winchester Gallery is taught by a Saginaw PD Officer. Maybe he caught a class by an outside instructor not associated with them?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard good things about him from friends.

I did my initial class and subsequent renewals at Elk Castle with no complaints. I just renewed again but thankfully without having to take the class anymore.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The class at Winchester Gallery is taught by a Saginaw PD Officer. Maybe he caught a class by an outside instructor not associated with them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Completely possible.  This was 6 years ago just after the 2008 election, so who knows if that was a previous instructor or a fill-in, or a second instructor to handle all of the procrastinators who did not get a CHL until after the election.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know of a class in the Fort Worth area that combines basic pistol instruction with the CHL course? I'd think there'd be a big demand for this type of thing, no?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top