User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
thomasplaster223, stroll,    I,am gonna go for loiter
View Quote

Carrying an HK91 and ammo inspired me to do a lot of loitering – lol. I top off mags while loitering to make use of the time.

Quoted:
Quoted:
...First event I carried an AK74 with 7 mags. 2nd event an M4 with 7 mags. 3rd event I carried an HK91 with 7 20 rd mags. I'll carry 20 extra loose rifle rounds in a ziploc.
View Quote

Thomas, are you going commie rifle this time?

One day I'll put on my big boy pants and roll m1a and 1911, but not this time. I'll have to get some different pouches for .308 mags first and get about 300-500% tougher than I am now. Back to the AR again for this softy.

View Quote

I wore the big boy pants with that HK91 in April – that was an experience.

If I better trusted the known distance zero on my commie rifles I would be carrying one. I made good hits with the AK74 on Stage 1 of the 1st ZD, but the speed wall ate my lunch – either they couldn’t hear the 5.45 hits or I just kept missing. (Readers – don’t get concerned about called hits – that was the first ZD run - they now verify KD hits with optics/visually as well as audibly.)

My commie rifles are all pretty much sighted in at 25 meters – you know why. I just haven’t made the effort to get a rangefinder and spend a weekend shooting KD steel with them. With only three shots and yer out on the speed wall I don’t have time for Kentucky corrections. The past 3 events I failed at the speed wall. So it will be M4 this time. Same thing I carried at the Pecos RO run.

Mag pouches – I don’t have the “cool guy” pouches but I’ve been using the USMC “Fireforce” pouches on my ATS Warbelt with good results. The pouches can be had for $7 or less if you look around. What I like about them is they will hold AR mags (2), HK91 mags (1) and AK74 mags (1) securely. I’m sure they would hold the M14 mags (1) as they are a little smaller than G3 mags.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA: Are dogs welcome at the site?  I want to camp Friday night so I don't need to leave really early saturday, but I can't leave my dog at home alone that long.
View Quote

Leashed dogs welcome. Dog's master must clean up after dog.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA: Are dogs welcome at the site?  I want to camp Friday night so I don't need to leave really early saturday, but I can't leave my dog at home alone that long.

Awesome, thanks for the info.  Looks like I'll be able to camp Friday night then.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Got my tickets for me and my daughter and ready to go, this will be my third one to attend and the second one for my daughter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/ip5WbjNzj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/5WbjNz.jpg</a>

Mag pouches – I don’t have the “cool guy” pouches but I’ve been using the USMC “Fireforce” pouches on my ATS Warbelt with good results. The pouches can be had for $7 or less if you look around. What I like about them is they will hold AR mags (2), HK91 mags (1) and AK74 mags (1) securely. I’m sure they would hold the M14 mags (1) as they are a little smaller than G3 mags.
View Quote

That setup will be good to go. As much as I enjoy shooting irons, I am a huge fan of the acog too. Especially for something like this. Built tough. Small form factor , kinda idiot proof with no knobs to get rolled accidentally with clear glass and 4x is just enough to power through close vegetation as well as overcome my eyesight slipping away a little when my body is tired. A big fan here.

For rifle, I'm running same setup I took to Oklahoma this summer.  18" rifle length gas with magpul fixed stock with ta31. The only thing I'm not 100% settled on is the sling. I actually carried a single point bungee as well as the rifle craft rs1 in OK. Really the only time I used the single point was on their stage two which had an optional transition. Long story, but the wheels popped off for me on that stage and I ended up sticking my muzzle in the mud since it was hanging down and there was a transition to prone for the last shot (with a pistol for me)

There is a lot I like about the rifle craft sling but its not really a fast transition from rifle to pistol for instance, like it would be with a 2 point like proctor or vtac, etc... Still experimenting with it.  I know for sure it helped me on the 500y rifle stage and several other instances where I could essentially "loop up" with it to steady my shot.  That part is very quick to get into.. Much faster than gi web.

The great thing about these types of events is getting to actually stress test this stuff and see how it works.

If you think about it, bring those pouches, I'd like to check them out.  I think Al runs some g3 two mag carriers.  I need to see how those work for him as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Did a Walking Dead marathon last night. I am so ready for this.

Do you think you could do the pistol stages with a cross bow?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, this is a firearm specific event. You can use a lever action rifle and revolver if you wish, but no bow/arrow combos.

The pace of the pistol stages requires fast moving and firing to not time-out on the stage.

Plus you would not be able to retrieve your fired arrows.

I would sometime like to see if my Cold Steel Carbon V LTC Kukri can actually sever a limb, but I won't be doing that testing at the BRZD event.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The great thing about these types of events is getting to actually stress test this stuff and see how it works.

If you think about it, bring those pouches, I'd like to check them out.  I think Al runs some g3 two mag carriers.  I need to see how those work for him as well.
View Quote

The pouches are already packed. See you there!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, this is a firearm specific event. You can use a lever action rifle and revolver if you wish, but no bow/arrow combos.

The pace of the pistol stages requires fast moving and firing to not time-out on the stage.

I would sometime like to see if my Cold Steel Carbon V LTC Kukri can actually sever a limb, but I won't be doing that testing at the BRZD event.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to work on my written sarcasm

My FNX is all ready to go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got my tickets for me and my daughter and ready to go, this will be my third one to attend and the second one for my daughter.
View Quote

It's good to see the kids out there.  Except for those 20 something punks that run real fast.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's good to see the kids out there.  Except for those 20 something punks that run real fast.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've inspired me to run this event.  My 22 year old body can do a 7:00 min. mile.  I probably can't keep that pace with a rifle and ammo though

Who else is camping Friday night?  I drove up from Austin on the morning-of last year, but it sucked waking up at 0430 to do it.  This year I'm just going to camp on site.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Who else is camping Friday night?  I drove up from Austin on the morning-of last year, but it sucked waking up at 0430 to do it.  This year I'm just going to camp on site.
View Quote

Keep your eyes open for snakes and black widows. I have seen both out there.

Also don't pay much attention to the barking dogs around dark. For the most part they only raise hell for a few minutes. I'm not sure if they do that to get fed or if they are doing it as a thanks for when they got fed. Never thought to ask Scout about that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Also don't pay much attention to the barking dogs around dark. For the most part they only raise hell for a few minutes. I'm not sure if they do that to get fed or if they are doing it as a thanks for when they got fed. Never thought to ask Scout about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm driving from Houston after work, I'm leaving around 2300-0100 and just sleeping in the truck bed. Thanks for the heads up for the critters.

Still looking for pistol mag pouches
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm driving from Houston after work, I'm leaving around 2300-0100 and just sleeping in the truck bed. Thanks for the heads up for the critters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What do you need?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need?

2 to 3 mag pouches for M&P 17rounders. Can't decided and/or find something I'll be comfortable using. Right now, it's probably raven kydex stuff zip tied to a chest rig.
Worst case I'll just grab a few condor pouches or stick em in my pockets.

What do you have?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

2 to 3 mag pouches for M&P 17rounders. Can't decided and/or find something I'll be comfortable using. Right now, it's probably raven kydex stuff zip tied to a chest rig.

What do you have?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need?

What do you have?

I have a 3 mag condor molle pouch. You are welcome to use it if you want.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What do you have?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need?

What do you have?

link

I'm gonna try those out. Not sure if they will hold mags securely enough though. Was using a cheap generic that worked just fine but was too bulky.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

link

I'm gonna try those out. Not sure if they will hold mags securely enough though. Was using a cheap generic that worked just fine but was too bulky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need?

What do you have?

link

TACOS are awesome

I am using all HSGI gear for this and from what I can see so far from some practice range sessions they are working great. You can adjust tension to your liking.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm using all the same stuff as the last 2 times, except trying the tacos and bringing a suppressor on my rifle. That and a few more pistol mags since HK USP mags were on sale on midway for $44.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/images/products/display/MA52_003F_2013.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need?

What do you have?

Thank you sir, but I'll pass for right now. If you see an Asian with pistol mags in his jeans pockets. That's me
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you sir, but I'll pass for right now. If you see an Asian with pistol mags in his jeans pockets. That's me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need?

What do you have?

I have a generic mag carrier that tightens via allen wrench. If I remember to bring it and I see you walking around like that you can have it lol
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I am 54 and my daughter is 17 and we walk she loves to do this and she brags to all the boys in her class at school! It also makes me a PROUD papa when she made it to the fifth station on the speed wall with a light wt AR with A1 sights and no optics.
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Won't be going. Guess I can wait for april again...
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that means they miss fast as well?

"Patience is an older man's game."
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What do you have?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need?

What do you have?

just use the belt loop and run the loops under the molle in the chest rig, thats how i attached it to my battle belt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Leaving for Davilla tonight.

At the moment there seems to be rain forecast for Saturday. Hopefully that will change. Particpants might consider bringing a cleaning kit to carry.

We had heavy rain (remnants of that Pacific hurricane) at the Pecos Run and Gun a few weeks ago - one rifle went kaboom and the popular theory was mud in the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Bought my son a ticket.  Now he can't go.

FREE TICKET TO ANY ACTIVE MILITARY WHO WILL COMMIT TO SHOW UP.  

IM me.  

For the rest of you, if you see a Pink Floyd T-shirt, stop and say Hi.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#29]
is it starting at 8 like the email said? thought they were moving it up to 7 this time or no?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#30]
We are packed and ready to move out @ 0500 hrs in the morning!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#31]
3 and a half hours till I can call it quits and leave. Hell, I hope to be there at 5am
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Change of plans for me, not camping tonight.

I'll be leaving bright and early tomorrow though.  See yall then
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#33]
It is hot as balls out here tonight... Us colorado boys are dying.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It is hot as balls out here tonight... Us colorado boys are dying.
View Quote

Looking like rain tomorrow?

Edit: weather channel says an inch of rain there tonight. Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I should have went up there and planted some rye grass and put out some fertilizer, when I do it here it don't rain for a month!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#36]
It is raining in DFW now at10:20 so expect it in a few hours.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Any body loose a S&W 14rd 40 S&W mag right after the first wall. I found it and will send to you less the 14 rounds in it unless you are close to Navasota and can pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Lost an Insight Pistol light somewhere stages 1 - 3

Great time - rain, falling on my face and all - i'll be back next year!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone lose a bag of about 30rds of 40S&W.

Because I found the bag!!

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks like a great time.

when my job situation allows me weekend free I hope to be at the next one!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#41]
So when are the results going to be posted? I want to see how I stacked up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Well the rain made it interesting.  How muddy was the path later in the day?  I went first so I had a fresh trail.  No rest breaks waiting to shoot though.  I just hung everything up and hosed it off.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone lose a bag of about 30rds of 40S&W.

Because I found the bag!!

View Quote

If it was a clear ziploc baggie and it was Winchester FMJ, it was mine

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well the rain made it interesting.  How muddy was the path later in the day?  I went first so I had a fresh trail.  No rest breaks waiting to shoot though.  I just hung everything up and hosed it off.

<a href="http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/rrt1875/media/IMG_1791_zps1178dfea.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd427/rrt1875/IMG_1791_zps1178dfea.jpg</a>
View Quote

My buddy and I talked to as we were loading up my Expedition and you were driving out - we were #3 and #4 to run it.

Took awhile to clean all my gear!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My buddy and I talked to as we were loading up my Expedition and you were driving out - we were #3 and #4 to run it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/rrt1875/media/IMG_1791_zps1178dfea.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd427/rrt1875/IMG_1791_zps1178dfea.jpg</a>

Yep, you were the guys already making a "new gear" shopping list for next time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, for me,, rain gear that actually repels water...
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I started my run at 10:05 and the rain stopped and it started drying out by the time I got to stage 5 I think. It was still very muddy, especially down the tractor tires and in the trench. It was awesome though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#48]
The trail was a mudhole by 1215.  The creek was mud a couple inches deep.  Most of the trails weren't too deep but were still really slippery.  I was wearing running shoes, and after the tread filled with mud they had almost no traction.  It made running really sketchy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#49]
On the find sofia course I was basically pulling myself through the course using the trees for grip. Which was fun. I was too worried about getting mud in my bbl the whole course and that slowed me down.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I was wearing Rocky C4T's thinking I would run the majority of the course. They offered little traction, I often slid down into the creek bed or had difficulty making it up any slope like when crossing the paved road or climbing out of the tunnel. I was extra cautious about not sticking my muzzle in the dirt too. I think the mud added to the experience though.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top