Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 10:31:20 AM EDT
Not my picture, I just saw it and cropped it down.

(3) "Written communication" means:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or

(B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
View Quote

And they almost had it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Commas are important. It is kind of like "Let's eat, Grandma!" or "I helped my uncle, Jack, off his horse."

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
good enough for me not to spend any $$$ there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
In my humble opinion, that sign is compliant and one could be convicted for carry there.  

You can make all of the arguments you want about commas, I don't care.   If you like to toy with your freedom, I support you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
good enough for me not to spend any $$$ there.
View Quote

This too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In my humble opinion, that sign is compliant and one could be convicted for carry there.  

You can make all of the arguments you want about commas, I don't care.   If you like to toy with your freedom, I support you.
View Quote

No doubt someone would get convicted, but I don't see how the sign can be compliant if the language is not actually identical to what is specified by the law. I'd think they used the word "identical" and not "similar" for a reason.

Not that it matters because the courts don't care, but there it is.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, The AMC letters are also not 1" the last time I was there (several years ago) as we quit going after realizing that we had walked by the signs on numerous occasions. They were posted in two of the glass doors out of >10 at foot level and the largest letters were 3/4" at most.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

FWIW, The AMC letters are also not 1" the last time I was there (several years ago) as we quit going after realizing that we had walked by the signs on numerous occasions. They were posted in two of the glass doors out of >10 at foot level and the largest letters were 3/4" at most.

View Quote

Not close enough to be valid, but not far enough off to stop you from getting arrested, unfortunately.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I wouldn't spend a dime there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
There is the letter of the law and then there's the spirit of the law.

Let the better lawyer win...I wouldn't get cute with this if I were you.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Why take the chance?
They already told you they didn't want you as a customer.
Go spend your hard earned money somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
missing comma, extra "a".

I'd say NOT sufficient for a conviction since the law the says sign must be EXACTLY this, not close to this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd say NOT sufficient for a conviction since the law the says sign must be EXACTLY this, not close to this.
View Quote

So you know the county / district attorney in his area?

Don't bet on it OP.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't bet on it OP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bet on it OP.

I didnt realize we were in a forum listing who we know. I thought this was a gun type forum where we expressed our opinions, much like you did.

Sadly it isnt the county or DA that convicts someone. It's the jury, or judge if you choose a bench trial.

Not knowin his area, I can't promise anything, any more than you, or anyone else. We can only give our best opinion given our knowledge.

I did however grow up in law firms and courthouses of my area. So I can say that while spirit is one thing,  when the written laws states a sign must read exactly X to be valid, it is invalid if it doesnt read exactly X.

Words matter. lack of words matter as well.
Thus the difference between spirit and letter.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where in the process do you think it would get tossed?

Point out to cop making arrest it is missing a comma and he takes the cuffs off?

Point out to the judge the sign was missing a comma and he dismisses charges?

Point out to jurors the sign was missing a comma and they  find you innocent?

After you have been arrested, how do you prove the sign was not correct?

What if you come back after you bail out and the sign is fixed?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I didnt realize we were in a forum listing who we know. I thought this was a gun type forum where we expressed our opinions, much like you did.

Sadly it isnt the county or DA that convicts someone. It's the jury, or judge if you choose a bench trial.

Not knowin his area, I can't promise anything, any more than you, or anyone else. We can only give our best opinion given our knowledge.

I did however grow up in law firms and courthouses of my area. So I can say that while spirit is one thing,  when the written laws states a sign must read exactly X to be valid, it is invalid if it doesnt read exactly X.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bet on it OP.

That's nice.  I'm a lawyer and it sounds like you're not.  So, i'm sticking with what I posted before.

Prosecutorial discretion...the tone of the community and the personal views and opinions of the elected prosecutor come in to play.

A jury doesn't see shit until a prosecutor makes it so.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Folks should also  note only  "a card or other document" requires IDENTICAL language.

A sign only needs to "includes the language described".

I think a case could be made signs do not have to be identical, just what is described.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much experience do you have in court?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#18]
This wannabe guardhouse lawyer would like to also point out that Concealed Handgun Law is capitalized on the sign but not on the OP's law quote.  And Section capitalized in the law but not on the sign.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No doubt someone would get convicted, but I don't see how the sign can be compliant if the language is not actually identical to what is specified by the law. I'd think they used the word "identical" and not "similar" for a reason.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you willing to play to test the validity of the sign?

Think about...how much money will you pay a lawyer to defend you?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#20]
TX carry law sucks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better yet how much experience do you have because you love to give out legal advice on here
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Don't bet on it OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't bet on it OP.

Bet on what? I didn't even see the sign.

Quoted:

Why would I test it when I already said someone would get arrested for it?

Quoted:

Technically, the language is identical. The punctuation isn't.

Punctuation is a part of language (an extremely important part in the English language), but there's more than just punctuation that's wrong with that sign.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Punctuation is a part of language (an extremely important part in the English language), but there's more than just punctuation that's wrong with that sign.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bet on it OP.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Technically, the language is identical. The punctuation isn't.

The title of your OP implied your belief that the sign was not valid.

So, I say again, "don't bet on it OP."

Why are you passing judgment on a sign you didn't even see if it's apparrently a problem that you didn't see it?

Heck, based on that logic, why post at all?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Why are you passing judgment on a sign you didn't even see if it's apparrently a problem that you didn't see it?

View Quote

Your post is implying I was recommending or planning on carrying past the sign.

Based on your "logic" why should anybody post about or talk about anything they didn't see in person?

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Based on your "logic" why should anybody post about or talk about anything they didn't see in person?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bottom line here...You're upset because you're not getting the internet agreement you'd hoped for.  

You're likely wrong here, you know it, and that is an uncomfortable position.

No biggie to me really.  It's just silly to post a judgment, receive disagreement, and then say, "hey, I didn't actually see it so..."

So, , right back at you sir.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Bottom line here...You're upset because you're not getting the internet agreement you'd hoped for.  

You're likely wrong here, you know it, and that is an uncomfortable position.

No biggie to me really.  It's just silly to post a judgment, receive disagreement, and then say, "hey, I didn't actually see it so..."

So, , right back at you sir.
View Quote

I'm not upset about anything. If you read my post, you'd see I actually agree with you about someone still getting arrested for it (hence your post wasn't even disagreement), meaning I wouldn't and didn't "bet on it," and I just posted I wasn't even in a position to bet on it at all when you got all pissy about it.

You seem more upset than anybody in this thread.

I wasn't looking for agreement or argument. There was an interesting discussion about exactly how "identical" the language must be, and that's all I would have hoped for. Anything else is just the typical illiteracy this forum is famous for.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#29]
You know, the whole point of concealed carry is that nobody around you knows you're doing it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You know, the whole point of concealed carry is that nobody around you knows you're doing it.
View Quote

What a cheesy post
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Typically, if I am entering a place that has any "no guns" sign, whether legal or not, I go in, do the shit I came for, leave and then I plan to not spend my $$$ there next time.

If it was unavoidable, like Wal-Mart decided to post or something I would still carry.

I am completely aware this is breaking State Law and that if caught it's going to cause me potentially serious grief.

I would rather rot in prison a stubborn dumbass who exercised his God given rights than be a statistic or live with the pain of a lost loved one I had the right and opportunity to defend.

I know, "Good luck with that dumbass".

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't get some of the posts here.

In this forum we have dissected law very very carefully on several occasions.  One that comes to mind is the carrying of an illegal knife by a CHL holder, while carrying a pistol.

The law says what it says.  The use of the word "identical" seems, to me, to be very clear.  The text on the sign is not identical - both in words and punctuation.

Are we really going to debate the definition of the word "identical?"
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In this forum we have dissected law very very carefully on several occasions.  One that comes to mind is the carrying of an illegal knife by a CHL holder, while carrying a pistol.

The law says what it says.  The use of the word "identical" seems, to me, to be very clear.  The text on the sign is not identical - both in words and punctuation.

View Quote

I guess you're right...it's clearly not even debatable.

YOU go right on ahead and carry there with supreme confidence.  No reasonable person, whether he be officer, prosecutor, judge, or jury member could possibly disagree with you.

In fact...the law always says what it says.  Hey, why do lawyers and courts even exist?  Perhaps we should just abolish the judicial branch while we are at it.  The law is crystal clear...who needs help interpreting the law anyway?

Seriously though, I do agree with you when you say that you don't get it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

YOU go right on ahead and carry there with supreme confidence.  No reasonable person, whether he be officer, prosecutor, judge, or jury member could possibly disagree with you.

In fact...the law always says what it says.  Hey, why do lawyers and courts even exist?  Perhaps we should just abolish the judicial branch while we are at it.  The law is crystal clear...who needs help interpreting the law anyway?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You upset bro?

In case you're not aware - you're debating a question not asked.  Which is whether someone should carry there.

In THIS thread, we are discussing a sign which does not follow the law.

I'm curious - if someone purposefully tested this law, and DID carry there.  And was arrested.  Whose side would you be on?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You upset bro?

In case you're not aware - you're debating a question not asked.  Which is whether someone should carry there.

I'm curious - if someone purposefully tested this law, and DID carry there.  And was arrested.  Whose side would you be on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You upset bro?

No, I'm not upset.  Given the chance I'd much rather represent the armed citizen, but I fear that the case would be a dog.

Technicalities are not always as useful as TV makes them appear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top