Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you are someone who attracts a lot of attention to yourself through nefarious reasons, you would likely be bored by the information you found.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#2]
So if OP contacts LE agency, tells them that he has reason to believe a certain LEO is using the system for personal use and provided names of victims, then once IAD verifies, it then contacts the Feds and this officer is prosecuted?  Or is this extreme cases?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So if OP contacts LE agency, tells them that he has reason to believe a certain LEO is using the system for personal use and provided names of victims, then once IAD verifies, it then contacts the Feds and this officer is prosecuted?  Or is this extreme cases?
View Quote

Prosecution is unlikely. If the only injury is snooping, it is likely to be handled internally. The state is far more involved with these systems than the feds.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nobody is going to get prosecuted just for looking up information. If they're also selling that information and committing other crimes, then they'll get prosecuted, but still won't get much jail time.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The requests are all logged through the state recording agency - (NCIC is FBI, TCIC is maintained by DPS in Texas). All local records are stored in TCIC for Texas (DL's, LP info, etc). Each query is associated to an individual account for each Officer. This information is not public record. It can be requested by LE through formal subpeonas for investigation but not for public dissemination.

I would imagine she got that information since there was a formal investigation into harassment and official misuse of the criminal records section.
View Quote

Interesting topic, out of curiosity why isn't the search history public record?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#6]
LE and Firefighters are not considered Civilians, but they are also not Armed Forces of the US.

And FWIW, Unfortunately I have been told by several police officers that they have snooped on peoples records. Reminds me of this girl in college who looked up my class schedule when she was working at the registrar.

Some of them are admirable. Some of them take advantage.
Confront your friend when you get the facts. He has no right to snoop.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

By Federal law, TCIC/NCIC must only be used for official uses. It cannot be used for non-official investigative or personal reasons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are general policies?  Is it specifically forbidden for using for personal use?

By Federal law, TCIC/NCIC must only be used for official uses. It cannot be used for non-official investigative or personal reasons.

Yea, right. And the NSA doesn't arbitrarily snoop on civilians. We all know some cops do it.

Please note, I qualified that statement with *some".
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's for national security, citizen. Wouldn't want it to get in the wrong hands.

What are you, a terrorist?

...the sad part is, I bet you would get that answer if you asked for it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's for national security, citizen. Wouldn't want it to get in the wrong hands.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol at first I started taking you seriously.
...Havent hit the forums in a while. Losing my touch.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top