User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The girls approve of Schliterbaun.. As do I.. Big place.

7 hours there and it's time for some serious couch surfing..
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad your family had a great time.  Are the local rivers dry or are they still allowing intertubing?  One popular jump in location is Gruene.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Glad your family had a great time.  Are the local rivers dry or are they still allowing intertubing?  One popular jump in location is Gruene.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Comal is way down, but people still using it.. Not much flow though. That one they can't control I guess..

The Guadalupe seems to be pretty full. I'm guessing no matter how low the lake gets the pressure on the Army Core of Engineers to keep the thing flowing and tourist money coming in is huge..

I have been hearing a lot of talk a out this fall / winter could be very wet. While most predictions are total bullshit it would be nice to see the lake up another 8-10' and the drought restrictions lifted. Weather guys seem to all think that will happen. We shall see.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Schlitterbahn is nice, but expensive....

We usually tube on the horseshoe just off 306.

River flow rates

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Double tap

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
59 cfs at Sattler ! How depressing ! We used think 500 was low and if we didn't have 1000 cfs then canoeing the river wasn't much of a challenge. Average we used to run was 800 cfs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
59 cfs at Sattler ! How depressing ! We used think 500 was low and if we didn't have 1000 cfs then canoeing the river wasn't much of a challenge. Average we used to run was 800 cfs.
View Quote

Yes, it's depressing to see how low the lake is. Some boat ramps are closed as well. If we don't get more rain the Army Corps of Engineers has to throttle back the flow rate at the dam even more.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
NWG let me know if you would like to come out.
I have my own range , and pigs are sometimes around.

Mike, when you get back to the States you are welcome also.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
NWG let me know if you would like to come out.
I have my own range , and pigs are sometimes around.

View Quote

We will have to work something out.. It may take a bit as I have no really idea what is going in yet, but we will make it happen.

At some point here we will be having a little party. Anyone within range is welcome to come.. Have no idea when it will be, that all depends on how quick we get the house togeather and Mrs.InkyNwG deams it "visitor worthy"...  We will let you all know when that is going to happen.

Got to talk to a Comal County Sheriff today. Was parked on our street taking a break and he was kind enough to give me straight answers about the area.. Nothing to worry about. Nice guy.. Most likely is a member here considering what we talked about.

Job interviews this week.. Not worried, don't care much what it is right now. Just need to get working while I look for a spot I really like. (Not in finincal trouble, just need to get going!)
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I am reconsidering ever fishing at night again..

Why do the spiders feel the need to have a shoreline party every night? Walking down to the lake, 5-10 spider eyes the ways down.. The last 10' before the water.. 87 spiders per sq/ft.. Most likely more.. I thought some a-hole sneezed glitter or something the other night when I first saw it.. Nope.. Speeders..

There is 80 miles of shoreline here.. Why must there be 87x10^24 spiders surrounding the lake at night?..
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:40:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you Sir! You are in the San Saba area if I remember it right? That's like only 100 mls from my house. Thank you for the invite! I'm only on 1.2 acres, so there is no shooting on my property.

Quoted:
I am reconsidering ever fishing at night again..

Why do the spiders feel the need to have a shoreline party every night? Walking down to the lake, 5-10 spider eyes the ways down.. The last 10' before the water.. 87 spiders per sq/ft.. Most likely more.. I thought some a-hole sneezed glitter or something the other night when I first saw it.. Nope.. Speeders..

There is 80 miles of shoreline here.. Why must there be 87x10^24 spiders surrounding the lake at night?..

It only seems so many. They have an impressive set of eyes Bro...

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#13]
You must be wearing a headlight. Wolf spiders (99% of the spiders you are seeing are wolf spiders) eyes are retroreflectors and reflect light back to the source. Hold your light down near your waist and all the scary spiders will seem to go away. They won't really be gone, but for all the threat they pose, they might as well be. Generally wolf spiders are good guys, eating a shit ton of other pest insects on a nightly basis. Their bite is reported to be painful, but although I've relocated a number of big ones out of the pool skimmer or the house by hand, I've never been bitten by one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Chill out on the spiders. You moved to the country, and bugs are just part of it, so adapt rather than trying to turn it in to the city. I live in a rural area and there are spiders all over the place, but they're quite nice for catching all the other bugs you'll have to endure.

There are only TWO spiders in Texas you need worry about; the black widow and the brown recluse. When I say worry, it's because they're venomous, but rest assured they don't sit around looking for a hapless human to bite and neither is in the least aggressive. The sparky eyes you're seeing are wolf spiders and they are harmless. The humongous tarantulas likewise are completely harmless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I've begun recruiting for a badass jumping spider army..

I've got about a dozen recruits on the back deck.. Black ones with little white spots on their legs..  Like fuzzy little ninjas..

They come by at different times of the day, give the "what's up homie?" wave and show me what they have killed..

It may be possible of me and the spider race to come to some kind of agreement.

In other news, it rained pretty well for 20 minutes.. In the front yard.. Not the back, just the front..

Mind still kind if blown on that one..
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've got about a dozen recruits on the back deck.. Black ones with little white spots on their legs..  Like fuzzy little ninjas..

They come by at different times of the day, give the "what's up homie?" wave and show me what they have killed..

In other news, it rained pretty well for 20 minutes.. In the front yard.. Not the back, just the front..

View Quote

Welcome to Texas!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

My dad claims he witnessed a small patch of hard rain on a highway once. Cruising along with windows down, out of nowhere it's pouring in and he can't hardly see out of the windshield so he scrambles to get the windows up and wipers on, but by the time he does, rain is gone. He looked back in the mirror and just that one spot on the road was wet.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My dad claims he witnessed a small patch of hard rain on a highway once. Cruising along with windows down, out of nowhere it's pouring in and he can't hardly see out of the windshield so he scrambles to get the windows up and wipers on, but by the time he does, rain is gone. He looked back in the mirror and just that one spot on the road was wet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe him. I have witnessed similar weather phenomenons.

I'm not saying it's aliens, but....
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
If you travel up north outside of Wimberley you can go swimming here

http://www.earthporm.com/jacobs-well-texas-dangerous-diving-spot/
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:49:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://cdn.earthporm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/jacobs-well-16.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://cdn.earthporm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/jacobs-well-16.jpg

Information for the News Media

Aug.21,2014 UPDATED

Jacob's Well Natural Area Swim Season Ends, Park Remains Open for Nature Activities

Hays County Courthouse,San Marcos,TX- Jacob's Well Natural Area will close to swimmers for the winter following the Labor Day weekend so that park employees can workon restoration activities.

Beginning Tuesday,September2,park hours will change to 9a.m.to 6p.m.daily and be open for hiking,bird- watching,picnic king and the popular10 a.m.Saturday tours led by Hays County Master Naturalists.

"We've had an amazingly active swim season following local and national media exposure,"said Clint Garza,Director of Development and Community Services for Hays County."Our park employees can now focus on major projects such as trail building,updating park amenities and other infrastructure improvements. We expect to offer our visitors an even better experience once these improvements are made and to allow swimming again,on a limited basis,during the 2015 swim season.We will continue to restore the Jacob's Well Natural Area to protect our natural resources while sharing it with our visitors in the coming seasons," Garza said.

There maybe times due to heavy construction that the entire park will be closed.Visitors are encouraged to call the Parks Information Line for updates at 512-847-2140 before heading out to Jacob's Well Natural Area. For more information about Hays County Parks,visit www.co.hays.tx.us and choose Parks from the Office drop down tab.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Interesting week..

As many as 4 outside kittez have adopted us...

And today we have toads / frogs in the yard and just now our first dillo!

Big fucker..
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:20:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Interesting week..

As many as 4 outside kittez have adopted us...

And today we have toads / frogs in the yard and just now our first dillo!

Big fucker..
View Quote

The dillo is here for the frogs and toads... Yummy!

Have your feral cats spayed or neutered...http://sanantonioferalcats.org

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An isolated shower? OMG!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Interesting week..
View Quote

Were you at the Japanese steakhouse at Creekside in New Braunfels last night?
As I was driving by to my workplace, I saw a vehicle with Cali tags parked outside.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As I was driving by to my workplace, I saw a vehicle with Cali tags parked outside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting week..

Not last night..

We were at A Tan on Common earlier this week..  That place isn't cheap but the food was good and the sushi / fish was very good.

Currently driving a gold / silver Acura RDX..  (With CA plates, working on that tomorrow)

No stickers yet, have a few BFL ones on their way..
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Tried to do a little cleaning and decorating while Mrs.InkyNwG was out..

She was not as entertained as I was hoping..
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#27]
you guys oughtta take a saturday and do a little historical site drive.....lots of stops all around where you're at now....
Goliad is only a couple hours from you as well......we're heading to the beach this weekend and will be passing through Goliad this friday - it's one of my favorite stops on the way down to Port A.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#28]
There's an F1 race this weekend in Austin.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#29]
It's not F1, it's the Lone Star LeMans. http://circuitoftheamericas.com/wectudor/
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's not F1, it's the Lone Star LeMans. http://circuitoftheamericas.com/wectudor/
View Quote

Too lazy to look into spelling LeMans so I typed F1, hoping a car guy wouldn't bust me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Too late!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Think we are headed to Austin on Saturday evening..

Have to do a test run with the new babysitter.. Gives us a chance to finally get out for a few hours!

San Marcos next weekend.. 3LAU!

ETA - new critters for the week.. Porcupines and I called BS but some local claims there are wolfs..
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
but some local claims there are wolfs..
View Quote

Early 19th century maybe... Some people can't tell a wolf from a large coyote...
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top