Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2014 8:35:13 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'll be taking my initial CHL class next week. I've done all of the research and whatnot, but I just wanted to check with y'all to make sure I have all of my bases covered. I sent my online application the other night and my fingerprinting is scheduled for this Friday. Is there anything I'm missing? I've read that it can take around 60 days to receive the license. How long did it take y'all to receive yours? Any wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't recall the exact day I got mine, but it was less than 60 day. I think it was somewhere in the 3-4 week range, and I did mine right around the time the class changed from 10 hours to 4 hours, so in theory that should have been a really busy time.

EDIT: Get a good instructor if you can, even if it costs a few bucks extra. I got some very bad info about where you can and can't carry from my CHL instructor. Like "go to jail if you do what the instructor says" quality bad info.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad you are finally getting that done I am on my 5 or 6 renewal.

I don't remember how long it took but it has been a while back.  It took a while then because of the first rush.

It is great to hand it to a seller at a gun show and you do not have to wait.

It is great to hand it to most cops and not get a ticket.

It is great to use it for identification  just to watch them try to figure out what it is and if it is a legal form of identification.

It should not be needed because we have the second amendment that gives us the right to carry but I was happy to get it.  Before that we relied on cops having the common sense to know when to look the other way when we got caught carrying and these days most cops are to ridge and power hungry to look the other way.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad you are finally getting that done I am on my 5 or 6 renewal.
View Quote

I was just checking my old IDs -> 95, 99, 03, 07, 12.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I sent my online application the other night and my fingerprinting is scheduled for this Friday. Is there anything I'm missing? I've read that it can take around 60 days to receive the license. How long did it take y'all to receive yours?

View Quote

According to the DPS Regulatory Services Division (RSD), you've followed the fastest method by starting the background check process prior to taking the course.  That should put you ahead of others in your class that have not yet started the process.

The RSD has about a 20 business day goal for the issuance of a license based on submission of a complete and correct package.  I've seen this take more or less, depending on backlog and demand.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Filed my paperwork on April 12th. Fingerprints done on 16th. License in hand on July 7th.
Eta: filed electronically.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Took mine right after the law changes that allowed for a shorter class.

The Officer that did my class filed everything electronically, I got my fingerprints done early the next week at the L3 place.

Had my license three weeks after.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Check in over at the Texas CHL Forum.  There you can usually find the most current infor wrt Texas CHL.  Sometimes RSD goes faster than others.  Occassionally, some licenses take longer than others.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the information, guys. I bought my G17 the week I turned 21, but I hadn't really felt ready or responsible enough to have a CHL until now (about to turn 23). Looks like I'm on the right path.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

According to the DPS Regulatory Services Division (RSD), you've followed the fastest method by starting the background check process prior to taking the course.  That should put you ahead of others in your class that have not yet started the process.
View Quote
 Where did you hear that?  It is my understanding DPS will not start the background until a complete application is in.  That includes a CHL100.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 Where did you hear that?  It is my understanding DPS will not start the background until a complete application is in.  That includes a CHL100.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I took the instructor class Ms Skybye (sp) told us that was the fastest way through the process.  She shared a timeline that indicated the paperwork processes was faster if you started online first, then fingerprints, then took the course from an instructor.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on getting your CHL. My wife just got hers recently and it took about 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally got around to getting mine beginning of October. The class change helped... but not as much as an E7 in my Battalion giving the class to SMs and spouses for free while he tested out his revised lesson plan

Took me 77 days from door to door after that. I'll never ever forget my TXDL# after putting it into the DPS website about 5 times/day for 2.5 months, but like NFA items, totally worth the wait.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I took the instructor class Ms Skybye (sp) told us that was the fastest way through the process.  She shared a timeline that indicated the paperwork processes was faster if you started online first, then fingerprints, then took the course from an instructor.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sherrie Zgabay.   I renewed my instructor in December.  It is my understanding DPS does not send your background out to the field investigator until they have a full app.  

Since its consumes resources to do the background, I cannot see them doing the background until they have a complete app.  But who knows........?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the information, guys. I bought my G17 the week I turned 21, but I hadn't really felt ready or responsible enough to have a CHL until now (about to turn 23). Looks like I'm on the right path.
View Quote

Both my inlaws carry glock foootys and with one up the pipe and she has hers in a purse with no holster and he is not much better

I am sure you can handle it

I don't like to carry with one up the pipe unless it is in a good holster

Don't go waving it around and don't shoot anybody with it unless you are about to get kilt and your good to go.

keep booger picker off bang button

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow!
It was refreshing to read someone your age realizing they may not be ready for the responsibility of carrying a gun and waiting a few years until they felt ready.
Sounds like you have your head screwed on straight.
I wish more of your age group were as responsible as you seem to be.
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Both my inlaws carry glock foootys and with one up the pipe and she has hers in a purse with no holster and he is not much better

Don't go waving it around and don't shoot anybody with it unless you are about to get kilt and your good to go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Glock piped up without a holster in a purse...................Jesus
And we wonder how gun owners get a bad name with the non-gun public
She will shoot someone one day
Hell she may shoot herself simply pulling her car keys out
DAM
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys. I got my fingerprints taken yesterday. I'm just waiting for the class now. It seems like the wait times vary pretty widely. Hopefully I'm on the shorter end.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#18]
most of the classes after the end of Jan-Feb took two full months;
my wife & I turned ours in (e-file) early March & got a happy letter in early June
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#19]
My gf just got her license less than two weeks after submitting the paperwork.  Mine hasn't come in yet even thought I submitted before hers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Just submitted my CHL-100 certificate. Completed my application and fingerprints before the class. And the wait begins...

Sidenote: iPhone scanner app is the bee knees.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Check in over at the Texas CHL Forum.  There you can usually find the most current infor wrt Texas CHL.  Sometimes RSD goes faster than others.  Occassionally, some licenses take longer than others.
View Quote

Yep. http://texaschlforum.com

The waiting room is full of threads with current wait times.

Back at the beginning of the year, from emailing docs to plastic in hand: 85 days.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just submitted my CHL-100 certificate. Completed my application and fingerprints before the class. And the wait begins...

View Quote

What's the name of the app?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Just renewed my CHL online and it was turned around in 29 days.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use JotNot Pro. Its great
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use TinyScan. Works perfectly.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy shit. Sent my CHL-100 in on the 31st. Received my license on Saturday. 9 days.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Congrats on the quick turnaround.  That's the best result I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:36:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Just got mine in the mail yesterday.  30 days on the dime.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Holy shit. Sent my CHL-100 in on the 31st. Received my license on Saturday. 9 days.
View Quote

Same here, I was shocked
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys are lucky. DPS supposedly never got my electronically submitted forms and never contacted me. The website status is a joke.

Anyways I called after 60 days to find out they never got my forms, so it's just now in the mail after I originally submitted everything in early May. Not unbearably long but I'm glad hey are at least updating the website for future applicants.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Just received my TX CHL.  Only took 16 days to process and I wasn't able to get my fingerprints completed until 6 days after I efiled my application. This is less than 1/3 the time I was told to expect!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top