Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/22/2014 6:28:47 PM EDT
So dangerous over here....Wife sent me a pic from the City of Wylie Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/wylietexas?fref=nf

Added link
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
That is unbelievably ridiculous....
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That is pure BadAss.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
How much is going to cost to maintain that thing?

mm
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Little old lady jaywalkers will now think twice about showing total disregard for the law by crossing the street just anywhere they want to in Wylie, Texas.
Kids impeding traffic by playing ball in the street had better look out.  People who don't cut their grass or water excessively are in for a rude awakening in Wylie, Texas.

Cops are going to be cracking the whip on the crime in Wylie, Texas.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Just stupid. Send them to the guard units not the police.
They are going to "Protect and Serve the Fuck out of Wylie" yea militarization of the police.

- Bigjeep -
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Little old lady jaywalkers will now think twice about showing total disregard for the law by crossing the street just anywhere they want to in Wylie, Texas.
Kids impeding traffic by playing ball in the street had better look out.  People who don't cut their grass or water excessively are in for a rude awakening in Wylie, Texas.

Cops are going to be cracking the whip on the crime in Wylie, Texas.

View Quote

I hope they crack the whip on the people that do the maintenance else those kids, old ladies and the grass won't last very long.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
This is great news!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn ... whenever someone mentions "Militarization of the Police" - I feel left out....
We don't have toys like that....

I mean Hell - even Arlington PD has a couple of drones -...I have Google Earth
on my I Phone .....

Sorry guys - the MRAP  is nothing more than an armored dump truck.....

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's the thought that counts, as in why do civilian police forces think they need the same weapons and equipment as the military?
There is a definite militarization of America's civilian police forces, and it's too widespread not to be someone's purposeful agenda.

I don't believe that crap about surplus military equipment has to go somewhere.  Civilian cops and over half of the federal government
agencies are arming themselves to the teeth.

Why?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:29:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's the thought that counts, as in why do civilian police forces think they need the same weapons and equipment as the military?
There is a definite militarization of America's civilian police forces, and it's too widespread not to be someone's purposeful agenda.

I don't believe that crap about surplus military equipment has to go somewhere.  Civilian cops and over half of the federal government
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's free. And it's much nicer to hide behind an armored vehicle on a barricaded person with a gun than it is to hide behind a tree. (which is what we used to do ....)

But mostly ... because it's free. If Lenco gave out bearcats for free every department would have one of those too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Because it's free. And it's much nicer to hide behind an armored vehicle on a barricaded person with a gun than it is to hide behind a tree. (which is what we used to do ....)

But mostly ... because it's free. If Lenco gave out bearcats for free every department would have one of those too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dont step on the tin foil dude! let him have his fantasy
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Fantasy?  I'm not the one parading around on civilian streets dressed like a combat soldier in Afghanistan.
75% of your job is writing  traffic tickets and cruising parking lots looking for expired registrations.

You don't need a MRAP for that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

(.......because I am sick to death of people cutting in line at Dunkin Donuts)

In reality~ I have a Glock 35, an 870 and  an AR15 (that I bought)

If you ever need to see the VALUE an APC has, Google: Bank of America Shootout

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't understand why people keep posting these pictures.  These threads all turn out the exact same way.  With the same exact people fighting over the same stuff as last thread where "so and so agency just got an MRAP"
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't understand why people keep posting these pictures.  These threads all turn out the exact same way. With the same exact people fighting over the same stuff as last thread where "so and so agency just got an MRAP"
View Quote

I posted it because I like cool shit, figured others do too, and that thing is badder than my Hummer H1 Alpha. Did not realize they were getting the 6x6 version which is so much bigger than some of the 4x4 versions. You have to be a fucking Prius driver not to appreciate the complete badass-ness of that vehicle.

I really do not give a shit if anyone wants to get into a political pissing contest.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm sorry, i didn't mean any disrespect towards you.......I could have worded that better.  

I just get tired of what it turns into.  How the police are horrible all they do is write tickets anyways, and they are going to try to take over everything, blah blah blah lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I posted it because I like cool shit, figured others do too, and that thing is badder than my Hummer H1 Alpha. Did not realize they were getting the 6x6 version which is so much bigger than some of the 4x4 versions. You have to be a fucking Prius driver not to appreciate the complete badass-ness of that vehicle.

I really do not give a shit if anyone wants to get into a political pissing contest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand why people keep posting these pictures.  These threads all turn out the exact same way. With the same exact people fighting over the same stuff as last thread where "so and so agency just got an MRAP"

They are very cool...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was in the sandbox we didn't have those yet lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Wylie doesn’t even have their own SWAT team.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I drove one of those in iraq they should have spent thier money on something else those trucks aint worth it
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free?  Really?  How much will they have to spend to:

Train someone to operate it
Fuel it up
Maintain it
Put tires on it
Insure it
Fix stuff that they ruin because the dumbass bubba driving it ran over something
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Actually we do.

Albeit a 4 man team........Of course it could have grown since last I checked.

Thanks OP for posting this, I'll be checking my rearview mirror more at traffic lights for the impeding rear ending from an MRAP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Actually we do.

Thanks OP for posting this, I'll be checking my rearview mirror more at traffic lights for the impeding rear ending from an MRAP.

A couple of years ago they had a standoff not to far from my neighborhood & had to call in the Plano SWAT team.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#28]
The MRAP is not free.  It needs a crew, maintenance, spare parts and I bet it comes with a company support contract.  Eisenhower warned us on this in his farewll address.

"Now this conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet, we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources, and livelihood are all involved. So is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

IMHO; the county sheriff and state police should have a few light armored vehicles and make them available when needed.  It is way too costly for small local cities to maintain these things.  The only winner here is the corporate support contract that I bet comes with these things.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If it's the time I'm thinking, It was McKinney ERT and Plano EOD.

Seems to be how Collin Co works. The bigger munis help out the smaller ones. Wylie FD and EMS helps out Murphy quite a bit from what I've heard. I don't know what a 4 person SWAT team could do, but there were patched officers and a spot on the city web page.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Actually we do.

A couple of years ago they had a standoff not to far from my neighborhood & had to call in the Plano SWAT team.

If it's the time I'm thinking, It was McKinney ERT and Plano EOD.

Seems to be how Collin Co works. The bigger munis help out the smaller ones. Wylie FD and EMS helps out Murphy quite a bit from what I've heard. I don't know what a 4 person SWAT team could do, but there were patched officers and a spot on the city web page.

You are correct.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The MRAP is not free.  It needs a crew, maintenance, spare parts and I bet it comes with a company support contract.  Eisenhower warned us on this in his farewll address.

"Now this conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet, we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources, and livelihood are all involved. So is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

IMHO; the county sheriff and state police should have a few light armored vehicles and make them available when needed.  It is way too costly for small local cities to maintain these things.  The only winner here is the corporate support contract that I bet comes with these things.
View Quote

Theres no corporate contract for ours.  I'm the one that drives it.  

It's not something that will get a lot of use and in many cases, I may be driving it to OTHER cities nearby vs using it in our own. I can think of 1 or 2 times a year when it would be appropriate to have it on site.  We have a mult-county swat team that assists with serving warrants in some rural county areas on known cartel properties.  This will offer very much needed cover for responding officers from smallarms gunfire from the bad guys.  When you have a driveway that is several hundred yards, it's nice to NOT Have to walk it, or drive it behind glass and thin metal.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Could the city pd corordinate with the county sherriff or state the one or two times a very that dangerous warrants need to be served?  Instead of every city having to pay to maintain these, couldn't the serving of dangerous warrants be coordinated with other county and state agencies?  Also, is this the ideal Light Armored Vehicle for a small North Texas Town?

As the average citizen, I am concerned with paramilitary police serving warrants to non violent suspects.  Now, I do get that warrants to dangerous suspects need to be served.  But like I said, does every town need one?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#32]
They must have shipped a whole trainload cause I'm staring at my local pd's now. Engine looks like it just came off factory, paint is new, wheels have never been driven, still has the rubber thingies on the tires that show they are new. Shit still has the stickers on it,  $733,000.

Maintenance guys seem upset.

Wish I had a spare BFL to hide on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Was wondering which version that was, it appears to be a BAE/Caiman
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fantasy?  I'm not the one parading around on civilian streets dressed like a combat soldier in Afghanistan.
75% of your job is writing  traffic tickets and cruising parking lots looking for expired registrations.

View Quote

thats a pretty cool statistic what do i do the other 25%? lol
i need a bradley
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I predict an increase in raids to justify the need.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Paint it black, spray "DARE" on it, and stick on some cool lights and use it in a parade.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Always entertaining.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Bastrop County got one earlier this year, same time as Hays SO and Wilco and Round Rock.

“We’re not militarizing the department at all”

Quoted:
Paint it black, spray "DARE" on it, and stick on some cool lights and use it in a parade.
View Quote

Sounds more like Austin PD?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I can't wait to see one of those in action.  Parked outside a Dunkin' Donuts.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#41]
It's a bit over the top. I wouldn't call the maintenance issues with MRAPs a good grab on any PDs part.

As far as anyone worried about MRAPs on our streets terrorizing us(lol),  they're pretty easy to knock out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#42]
The homecoming Queens just got a cool new ride this fall.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love hearing what police need and don't need from people who haven't worked one day in LE.  Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Those look too tall to provide adequate cover for getting LE into tight places.  Can any MIL with experience with these chime in?

Wouldn't it be awesome if all the local PDs got together in one big PR event to race these things at TMS?  I'd pay money to watch that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I love hearing what police need and don't need from people who haven't worked one day in LE.  Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I have never been a LEO.  But I have also never heard of mine attacks and ambushes against police in small North Texas towns.  I am not stating that police do not need access to light armored vehicles.  But a FEW in Dallas County and FEWER in Collin County sound reasonable.  The only one benifiting from these Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles is the corp that sold it to the Fed to be given to Local PD.  Remember, the corp that made these get to sell spare parts and maintenance to all these Free MRAP's.  This is military industrial corporations turning the guns against the We The People for their own Profit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fuel it up
Maintain it
Put tires on it
Insure it
Fix stuff that they ruin because the dumbass bubba driving it ran over something
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuel it up
Maintain it
Put tires on it
Insure it

That's called "maintenance" and has nothing to do with ACQUIRING the vehicle.

ACQUIRING the vehicle is free.

Maintaining any vehicle will incur costs. This is no different than any other heavy vehicle that county T&R or TX DOT maintains. It's a freightliner chassis underneath.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't do parades and I don't wear multicam, sorry.

75% of my job is arresting felons and the other 25% is serving high risk search warrants. We arrested a guy who had a bunch of marijuana and had been distilling it with butane inside his house, right across the street from an elementary school. He's lucky he didn't blow it up. He had a pile of guns in the residence, one in every room. He had small kids living in the middle of piles of marijuana, guns, and cans of butane. It was reckless and downright dangerous.

It sure was nice having our armored car out front of his house when he looked at us through his 8 surveillance cameras. One might surmise he saw that and decided to give up peacefully instead of shooting it out with us in a busy residential neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

75% of my job is arresting felons and the other 25% is serving high risk search warrants. Yesterday we arrested a guy who had 20 pounds of marijuana and had been distilling it with butane into "honey oil" inside his house. He's lucky he didn't blow it up. He had 8 guns in the residence, one in every room. He had a 5 year old and a teenager living in the middle of piles of marijuana, guns, and cans of butane. It was reckless and downright dangerous.

It sure was nice having our armored car out front of his house when he looked at us through his 8 surveillance cameras. One might surmise he saw that and decided to give up peacefully instead of shooting it out with us in a busy residential neighborhood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

75% of my job is arresting felons and the other 25% is serving high risk search warrants. Yesterday we arrested a guy who had 20 pounds of marijuana and had been distilling it with butane into "honey oil" inside his house. He's lucky he didn't blow it up. He had 8 guns in the residence, one in every room. He had a 5 year old and a teenager living in the middle of piles of marijuana, guns, and cans of butane. It was reckless and downright dangerous.

Sir, myself and most would agree that we appreciate your service to our community.  But respectfully, MRAP's are not light armored vehicles and you were not worried about mines and ambushes on the way to serve your warrant.  Nobody is saying that light armored vehicles are not appropriate.  But MRAP's are unnecessary and only benefit the military industrial corporations selling them to the Fed to give to the local PD..
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sir, myself and most would agree that we appreciate your service to our community.  But respectfully, MRAP's are not light armored vehicles and you were not worried about mines and ambushes on the way to serve your warrant.  Nobody is saying that light armored vehicles are not appropriate.  But MRAP's are unnecessary and only benefit the military industrial corporations selling them to the Fed to give to the local PD..
View Quote

I'm not worried about IEDs and mines, you are correct. I am worried about getting shot at - there are plenty of photos of Lenco Bears and Bearcats with bullet marks where people have ambushed officers.

The main benefit of these vehicles is not that they will resist a mine. The main benefit is that they are rolling cover. The corporations that build these do design them for the military. They adapt the ones they sell directly to LE by just changing the interior - much like how GM adapts cars for police use. Why reinvent the wheel when you have something already designed? So they leave the V hull in and use the same process to make the LE vehicles. Less development costs, less R&D. Sounds like good business to me.

These MRAPs are the same thing. The military has said they don't need them anymore, which is why they are surplusing them. As the Wylie guys said, a lot of these are basically brand new. They can't return them - they're already paid for. What would you rather be done with them, cut up for scrap?

Instead they are helping out YOU the taxpayer by not having you foot the bill for equipment for your local region. Instead of departments having to scrape together 500,000$ for a bearcat, they just have to pay the bill for maintaining them, which is no different than a dump truck.

I understand ya'll think they look scary, but really who cares what it looks like. PD is not going to respond to your barking dog complaint with this. This is going to be rolled out in dangerous instances like barricaded armed persons, hostage situations, active shootings, etc. That is what armor is for.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top