Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 7:55:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm loyal to an ideology. Unfortunately it can no longer be found in either our state or our nation
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Troll thread.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Never betray God for your Family.

Never betray your Family for the State.

Never the betray the State for your Country.

Never betray your Country for Foreign Powers.

Right?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Texas is a part of a union of states. If you attack Texas you attack the US and vice versa. I am proud to be a Texan but I am a loyal and patriotic American first and foremost. Now if Texas were to secede then my vote would likely change.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#6]
No Mexican Government option?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a Texan.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Several years ago I took a trip to Italy as a chaperone with 45 members of a boy choir. We of course visited many tourist attractions and would invariably run into other groups of touring young people. The kids were always drawn to each other- our boys especially to young European ladies.....

In any event one of the first questions they would always exchange was- "Where are you from?" I witnessed this exchange probably 8-10 times with different groups at different locations. The boys- and not always the same boy, would always answer "Texas"......not "The United States" or "America"......In their minds they were Texans first.

Not a scientific study by any means but it was interesting to observe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm loyal to an ideology. Unfortunately it can no longer be found in either our state or our nation
View Quote

This is pretty much where I fall as well. Though it cannot be found as widely as it once was- it is certainly more prevalent in some places than others, Texas being one of them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In any event one of the first questions they would always exchange was- "Where are you from?" I witnessed this exchange probably 8-10 times with different groups at different locations. The boys- and not always the same boy, would always answer "Texas"......not "The United States" or "America"......In their minds they were Texans first.
View Quote

I saw a humorous article on the internet a while back where they asked European teenagers to label a map of the US. Some of the answers were absurd; states mixed up, all over the country, South Dakota and Further South Dakota.

But, invariably, Texas was labeled correctly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But, invariably, Texas was labeled correctly.
View Quote

Funny, considering that 25% of my students in Texas History couldn't do that......in the 7th Grade.
More got Florida correct.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never betray God for your Family.

Never betray your Family for the State.

Never the betray the State for your Country.

Never betray your Country for Foreign Powers.

Right?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
South Texas>Texas>Gulf Coast States>South Central US>States other than Oklahoma>US I guess
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Several years ago I took a trip to Italy as a chaperone with 45 members of a boy choir. We of course visited many tourist attractions and would invariably run into other groups of touring young people. The kids were always drawn to each other- our boys especially to young European ladies.....

Not a scientific study by any means but it was interesting to observe.
View Quote

As a former DS officer coming into contact with thousands of Americans overseas, this is typical. I even remember one guy wearing a T-Shirt that said "Anybody can become an American, but you have to be born a Texan."
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#16]
The USA has abandoned the principles upon which it was founded, and it's getting worse.  I believe that eventually, secession will happen, and other states will do the same.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The USA has abandoned the principles upon which it was founded, and it's getting worse.  I believe that eventually, secession will happen, and other states will do the same.
View Quote

What makes you think that an independent Texas will be the nirvana you dream of?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Texian here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What makes you think that an independent Texas will be the nirvana you dream of?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might be better, might be worse.....but if you can't see that we are CLEARLY headed towards truly bad things as a nation as a whole....then you aren't paying attention. Willing to take the chance that an independent Texas could be better vs. what I KNOW is coming for the U.S. as it is currently constituted.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:35:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
South Texas>Texas>Gulf Coast States>South Central US>States other than Oklahoma>US I guess
View Quote

I see what you did there.................................................
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Several years ago I took a trip to Italy as a chaperone with 45 members of a boy choir...
View Quote

I initially thought you were referring to Italy, Texas...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#23]
God, Family, Freedom, Texas, 'Merica

First three unfaltering.

The latter 2 subject to change depending on how they align with the first three.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Troll thread.
View Quote

This. I'm going back to the GD forum.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Texan first, American second to that. It's discouraging to see the interests of the two diverging so now days.

This thread reminded me of my seventh grade Texas history teacher. She was rabidly "Texas First!"...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Texan first, American second to that. It's discouraging to see the interests of the two diverging so now days.

This thread reminded me of my seventh grade Texas history teacher. She was rabidly "Texas First!"...
View Quote

Sounds like my 7th grade Texas history teacher.  Was her name Harrington?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a large tattoo of Texas on my arm. I have been all over the world and people who don't speak English will point at my arm and say Texas.

God, family, Texas, United States.

When people ask where I am from, I say Texas not USA.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a large tattoo of Texas on my arm. I have been all over the world and people who don't speak English will point at my arm and say Texas.

View Quote

It's funny, even people in other countries recognize that Texas is just different that way

Also, poll outcome is pretty predictable
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#30]
If you would asked me last year I would have said US first but with all this stuff having to do with the BLM  and the Texas land grab, I am leaning toward Texas
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Texas flag tattoo on my arm.

I'm a Texan first and an American second.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wonder if the feelings are the same if there's a poll on other states...Probably so.
View Quote

I doubt it, I can't think of anything other states have to be proud of...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if the feelings are the same if there's a poll on other states...Probably so.

I doubt it as well.

Most people that live in other states when asked where they are from, are usually quick to identify an area,
for example, they will say.... "Northern California" or "Southern California" vs. California or "Upstate New York" vs. New York,
people from Michigan like to hold up their hand and point to where they live on the "Mitt".

Texans will usually just say 'Texas"  
Internally we may bicker about locations ,
but especially when traveling outside of the state,
We tend to just say "Texas"

I have had people ask me why we do that vs. telling them what part of the state we are from.
All I can say is, that is just how we are.

Another thing that stands out if you travel through other states, is flag flying.
If a Texan has one flagpole at his house, chances are it has a Texas flag on it, if they have two flagpoles, they may add the U.S. flag.
(However, I think the "Come and Take It" flag is more popular.)
I know at my house, for the 4th of July, we fly the 'Betsy Ross" flag.

When traveling in other states, it's much more common to see the U.S. Flag flying at someones house.

There are exceptions,
Example:
In Tenneessee and other Southern States, it's common to see the Confederate flag vs. the U.S. or state flag.

In fact, most other states you only see the state flag flying at .gov buildings.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Texan before anything else... Just like it was always supposed to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top