Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I am picking up my lower today from my FFL! Man I'm pumped I got a lonely upper waiting at home for it. So is everyone trading and getting stuff ready? I've been excited since I decided to do it this yr and the anticipation is killing me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Found out on Monday that I have a SLAP tear in my left shoulder.  Start physical therapy next week to hopefully get it strong enough to be able to do all the climbing events.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
man i hate to hear that, i hope you heal quickley with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I found out last week I am going to canada for 11 days for some training for work. The beauty of it is I will have 3.5 days off to do as I please. I am going to go backpacking in one of the national forest in Quebec using my bug out bag. I of course added some things such as shelter and more food/water. I will be spending two nights and 2.5 days out in the wilds. The backcountry trail I will be on is a 25 mile loop with multiple river crossing and numerous lakes ranging from small to huge. I will be sure to post pictures and keep y'all updated. Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found out last week I am going to canada for 11 days for some training for work. The beauty of it is I will have 3.5 days off to do as I please. I am going to go backpacking in one of the national forest in Quebec using my bug out bag. I of course added some things such as shelter and more food/water. I will be spending two nights and 2.5 days out in the wilds. The backcountry trail I will be on is a 25 mile loop with multiple river crossing and numerous lakes ranging from small to huge. I will be sure to post pictures and keep y'all updated. Wish me luck.
View Quote

Good luck brotha!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys long time lurker on here. Looks like my self and a couple buddies are going to do the drill.

Just a couple of questions. Do cows have access to the "stock pond". Just trying to figure out the level of purification needed. Also it says no swapping of gear, start with it, end with it. Does that mean if I have a saw, or whatever that's working great, no other competitor can use it? Or others can use it as long as I pack it the full time?

We have no delusions of finishing in the top. We plan to hustle as much as possible though. The other 2 will be lagging behind for my chunky self .
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey guys long time lurker on here. Looks like my self and a couple buddies are going to do the drill.

Just a couple of questions. Do cows have access to the "stock pond". Just trying to figure out the level of purification needed. Also it says no swapping of gear, start with it, end with it. Does that mean if I have a saw, or whatever that's working great, no other competitor can use it? Or others can use it as long as I pack it the full time?

We have no delusions of finishing in the top. We plan to hustle as much as possible though. The other 2 will be lagging behind for my chunky self .
View Quote

Yes, the cows do have access to and quite often use the stock tank.  And yes, there is cow stuff around it.

mm
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, the cows do have access to and quite often use the stock tank.  And yes, there is cow stuff around it.

mm
View Quote

So with cows in the picture. Boiling or a 1 micron (for Cryptosporidium) and chemicals for the rest would be the safest way to purify the water. Am I on the right track?
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So with cows in the picture. Boiling or a 1 micron (for Cryptosporidium) and chemicals for the rest would be the safest way to purify the water. Am I on the right track?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mm

I'm hesitant to suggest or imply anything.  My thoughts, observations, solutions may not work or may even hinder you.  I will say that most people overload themselves and that cheap, low quality, bargain stuff fails....especially socks.  

From the first Bug Out Drill I noticed a common thing about TJ's challenges.  He wants YOU to solve the problem...in many disasters  the majority of survivors will be middle-aged or older.  This might be because with more experience an older person would attempt something and prevail whereas a younger, stronger, more physically fit person might just give up, sit down, and die.  Most older people know that they are no longer able to "brute force" a solution to a physical challenge, so they have to solve the challenge in a different way...one of the most fun parts is seeing that light bulb go off when one participant solves the problem and everyone else realizes it.

Some of the challenges remain constant and they tend to be real butt kickers.  You will have to get over an 8 ft obstacle on your own, you will have to enter an "attic" through a hatch without stairs or a ladder, you will need to identify the correct piece and then cut lumber, you will need to negotiate a cyclone fence that you will not be able to climb over.  Knowledge will include the basics of determining your location without using a GPS unit, using weapons that are not your own, start a fire, first aid ( a paramedic is too heavy to carry), how to use and maintain your own weapons (you'd be shocked).

As for your gear, make sure you know how to use it and make sure it works before you are in a situation that requires it.  A lot of people buy these nifty expensive tools and kits and never even took them out of the package before they were asked to demonstrate that they could do the task.  Is the item you bought, cobbled up at home, decide make a field expedient version of actually going to be adequate - 550 cord and a stick is not suitable for a tourniquet, a hemostatic agent is not a substitute for dressings, bandages and pressure, a paper coffee filter might work well for a pre-filter or strainer but it sucks for water purification.

You'll just have to decide on what you'll need and what you'll want to carry.  The mental aspect is huge.  In an actual disaster or crisis, you're already in the downward spiral.....give up and you're circling the drain.

mm
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm hesitant to suggest or imply anything.  My thoughts, observations, solutions may not work or may even hinder you.  I will say that most people overload themselves and that cheap, low quality, bargain stuff fails....especially socks.  

From the first Bug Out Drill I noticed a common thing about TJ's challenges.  He wants YOU to solve the problem...in many disasters  the majority of survivors will be middle-aged or older.  This might be because with more experience an older person would attempt something and prevail whereas a younger, stronger, more physically fit person might just give up, sit down, and die.  Most older people know that they are no longer able to "brute force" a solution to a physical challenge, so they have to solve the challenge in a different way...one of the most fun parts is seeing that light bulb go off when one participant solves the problem and everyone else realizes it.

Some of the challenges remain constant and they tend to be real butt kickers.  You will have to get over an 8 ft obstacle on your own, you will have to enter an "attic" through a hatch without stairs or a ladder, you will need to identify the correct piece and then cut lumber, you will need to negotiate a cyclone fence that you will not be able to climb over.  Knowledge will include the basics of determining your location without using a GPS unit, using weapons that are not your own, start a fire, first aid ( a paramedic is too heavy to carry), how to use and maintain your own weapons (you'd be shocked).

As for your gear, make sure you know how to use it and make sure it works before you are in a situation that requires it.  A lot of people buy these nifty expensive tools and kits and never even took them out of the package before they were asked to demonstrate that they could do the task.  Is the item you bought, cobbled up at home, decide make a field expedient version of actually going to be adequate - 550 cord and a stick is not suitable for a tourniquet, a hemostatic agent is not a substitute for dressings, bandages and pressure, a paper coffee filter might work well for a pre-filter or strainer but it sucks for water purification.

You'll just have to decide on what you'll need and what you'll want to carry.  The mental aspect is huge.  In an actual disaster or crisis, you're already in the downward spiral.....give up and you're circling the drain.

mm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mm

mm

This is very wise advice.. All who have never done this, read this over and over again... There is a lot of great info here....
You can ask a lot of questions, but a bunch are answered here..

Airone
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I understand not wanting to give too much advice. For everything except cow pond water, I agree. I only brought it up for people who  may not know or even think about there being poop in the water.

For all the other challenges improper gear and bad info just gives u a longer time. Not knowing the correct way to purify poo water could get someone seriously sick. At the end of the day its still just an exercise.

What I posted before was from the CDC website. I'm new to water purification, I just want to get it right.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I understand not wanting to give too much advice. For everything except cow pond water, I agree. I only brought it up for people who  may not know or even think about there being poop in the water.

For all the other challenges improper gear and bad info just gives u a longer time. Not knowing the correct way to purify poo water could get someone seriously sick. At the end of the day its still just an exercise.

What I posted before was from the CDC website. I'm new to water purification, I just want to get it right.
View Quote

For water from an unknown source....always prep for the worst.  Cow poop isn't good....but human bodily waste and street runoff could be a lot worse.

I really don't know of anything but the higher end units like the  Katadyn reverse osmosis units that would reliably and consistently remove giarda or crypto.

mm
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I am planning on carrying all of my water and not having to filter any unless it's for a challenge.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Does this excersice happen every year? I just stumbbled apon this thread yesterday, looking for anyone from txhtf that might be doing the pacos tx run n gun this year.

This event sounds awesome! I will have to tyr my best to attend at some point and play.
Just this year & next are all booked up for me. The samichmaker also is really courious about trying it.
Which brings me to my other question... Is this buddy team type thing, or can you go solo if needed?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does this excersice happen every year? I just stumbbled apon this thread yesterday, looking for anyone from txhtf that might be doing the pacos tx run n gun this year.

This event sounds awesome! I will have to tyr my best to attend at some point and play.
Just this year & next are all booked up for me. The samichmaker also is really courious about trying it.
Which brings me to my other question... Is this buddy team type thing, or can you go solo if needed?
View Quote

Go back to page one and read the post by jevonniespapi.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our Products  >>  10/04/2014 - Bug Out Drill
10/04/2014 - Bug Out Drill
It’s here again, the 2014 Bug Out Drill, the challenge unlike any other.

You’re driving home from work and an EMP strikes, the Russians have detonated several nukes over the United States.  The pulse has destroyed all electronics and chaos has ensued.  No signal lights, bank alarms, stores are being robbed for anything of value.  You move to your trunk and get you Bug Out bag and start heading home, the best way you know.  This means you must trek over wooded and public roads, hiding from possible thugs that might want to strip you of anything of value.  Expect 17 or 18 miles of cross country movement, lots of shooting situations and test of your thinking ability and preparedness. You must get home as quickly as possible, good luck.

Equiptment:  No calibers above .308.  No armor piercing ammunition or tracer rounds allowed.  All shooters will be required to carry a pistol at all times during the match.  This will be a high round count event, both shooter should bring 150 rounds of rifle and 100 rounds of pistol, if you don’t miss. There is no weapon or equipment limits, but if you use it you must carry it.  There can be no switching of gear or dropping of gear during the match, you start with it you finish with it.  This year you must carry all your water, or filter it from the stock pond.

Yup, checked I did. Both the OP's first post & the actual website ( the above text is from the Tiger Valley PX page ) the " both shooter " is not super clear, yes plural, not singular, but just need to know if this could be done solo. Most likely I would have to go this alone if I had the chance to participate in it.

Plus, for me that would make it a much more realistic type exercise if I was by myself. I don't think someone would be with me if said scenario was to happen.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am planning on carrying all of my water and not having to filter any unless it's for a challenge.
View Quote

You'll have the opportunity to refill your potable water at least once per lap.  

The ability to purify water is normally one of the challenges, the challenge is to:
1.  See if you actually have the equipment to purify water.
2.  Know how to use your purification equipment.

mm
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup, checked I did. Both the OP's first post & the actual website ( the above text is from the Tiger Valley PX page ) the " both shooter " is not super clear, yes plural, not singular, but just need to know if this could be done solo. Most likely I would have to go this alone if I had the chance to participate in it.

View Quote

The event is intended and run as an individual event.  You can travel in groups if you so desire.  But each challenge and obstacle must be done as an indiviual, coaching is allowed and in most cases encouraged as it helps the participants motivate each other.  But as mentioned in an earlier post, TJ wants the participants to solve the problems on their own....this is absolutely huge in boosting/maintaining self confidence and motivation.

mm
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The event is intended and run as an individual event.  You can travel in groups if you so desire.  But each challenge and obstacle must be done as an indiviual, coaching is allowed and in most cases encouraged as it helps the participants motivate each other.  But as mentioned in an earlier post, TJ wants the participants to solve the problems on their own....this is absolutely huge in boosting/maintaining self confidence and motivation.

mm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mm

Awesome, just the info I needed.

I just might be able to swing next years event if held around the same time.

Thanks mm38.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag.

I don't see myself being in good enough shape for something like this in 3 months, but maybe next year.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The ability to purify water is normally one of the challenges, the challenge is to:

mm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mm

I thought I read on the website where it said this year ALL water for the BOD must be carried or filtered from the pond.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tag.

I don't see myself being in good enough shape for something like this in 3 months, but maybe next year.
View Quote

You should still do it this year! I would bet in three months time you could be in plenty good shape to do it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:54:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I really don't know of anything but the higher end units like the  Katadyn reverse osmosis units that would reliably and consistently remove giarda or crypto.

mm
View Quote

Great info, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#24]
This year you will carry everything you need to make the trek on your person, that includes water.  In an effort to keep the Bug Out relevant and as realistic within the limits, we are making everyone carry everything including water with them.  If your planning on filtering water, make sure what you're using really works.  In the past we had everything from high end water filtration systems to Mr. Coffee filters (not a good idea).

This year shooting will also play a bigger portion of your time and score.  Last year 50% of the targets didn't have a hole in them, great for me, I got to use the targets over again, but bad for a survival exercise.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I have done this thing 5 times and everytime fat and out of shape. Are you going to have time to get in shape if the SHTF no so quit delaying and get on it.

The reason for the slight rule change of carrying all gear is that in recent history some individuals would cache at their vehicles what ever they had to collect at their vehicle. It got to the point that a number of individuals didn't even run packs. They used essentially an LBE to "carry" all their "equipment."
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone else run a 1911? I'm trying to figure out how many mags I should have on my belt. I'm planning on carrying 3 spares but I don't want to be digging through my bag looking for mags during a stage requiring more than 33 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have done this thing 5 times and everytime fat and out of shape. Are you going to have time to get in shape if the SHTF no so quit delaying and get on it.

The reason for the slight rule change of carrying all gear is that in recent history some individuals would cache at their vehicles what ever they had to collect at their vehicle. It got to the point that a number of individuals didn't even run packs. They used essentially an LBE to "carry" all their "equipment."
View Quote

You hit the nail on the head.  In reality, not making any challenge would probably mean your in serious trouble.  Some in the past just wanted to run the course and didn't worry about completing all the challenges.  They figured they could make the time up by running with no weight or gear to speak of.  Water is one of the most important things in your pack and this year we will have you make the decision as to what is important and what isn't.   T.J.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow- great to hear everyone is getting put on the same page- no "gaming" the event whatsoever- I know I ditched a few items my first year from overpacking.  This makes everyone have to think very carefully on what to bring.   Too bad I cant make it this year.

Nightfighter is truely my inspiration.  A salty wounded combat vet- out there kickin ass and makin it happen.  NO ONE has an excuse not to attend.  EVERYONE sould be ready regardless of a competition or not.  This event is just to prove to yourself that your preps are legit.  No one goes to combat without rifle un-zeroed, but as TJ mentioned, it appears that many of our rifle skills need work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Started training a few weeks ago for the 15 miles. Adding a few items to my BOB for the anticipated obstacles/challenges. I haven't done anything similar to this since I left active duty. Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. The point is NOT to "win." The point is to see if you could make it if it happened today. Right now. Bang. Go.

Do you have the equipment you'll need? If so, have you used it? Like REALLY used it? Can you walk from your office to your home? Can you shoot well enough to protect/feed yourself and your family?

nightfighter4d is a bad motherfucker and a colossal inspiration... Dude's out there in flip flops cracking jokes... Definitely helped keep a lot of folks going...

ETA: I have to argue with the "fat" comment, though... LOL... You're not even close to fat, sweetheart. You're perfect.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:34:23 AM EDT
[#31]
less than two months out! how is everyone doing? i still have a couple of speciality items to pick up but other than that i cannot wait to do this.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I am moving to TX this week.
I would like to attend this event but I will not have everything to participate this year.
Would I be able to spectate or view the event?
Thanks-
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am moving to TX this week.
I would like to attend this event but I will not have everything to participate this year.
Would I be able to spectate or view the event?
Thanks-
View Quote

Come with what you have. That's the point. Do the challenges you can; skip the ones you can't.

YOU are your most important piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#34]
How many contestants have signed up?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#35]
What is everyone's pack weight looking like (with water and ammo)?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Signing up for this has been great motivation to change the way I eat and get in shape. I'm doing couch to 5k with a 25# pack. I've lost 12#s in 7 weeks. No slowing down in sight!
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Signing up for this has been great motivation to change the way I eat and get in shape. I'm doing couch to 5k with a 25# pack. I've lost 12#s in 7 weeks. No slowing down in sight!
View Quote

keep it up
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:55:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted: Too bad I cant make it this year.
View Quote

Survival Trial?

We'll miss you on the Sundowner in a couple weeks
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#39]
One month out boys and girls. I'm not gonna lie I slacked off pretty hard in the past few weeks, I'm just gonna wing it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I made the 16 hour drive from Iowa 2 years ago.  It was a lot of fun.  My ecommendations are as follows;

Get in shape.  15-18 miles is long way and you need some upper body strength to get over the wall.

Bring a optic and keep the red dot at home unless you can accurately shoot a red dot out to 200 yards.

Have fun and don't pack  to much.  Weight is a killer on this course.

When I attended I chose not to find out about what drills TJ had in previous years.  I wanted my adventure to be as real as possible.  I learned a lot about my gear.

I wish I could attend this year but it's not in the cards.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#41]
just signed up....
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#42]
For those that have been before. My wife is insistent on coming to watch. I've tried to tell her this isn't a track meet. She says we'll (her and the kids) just hang out at the camper and come watch u finish.

Is this even slightly possibly?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For those that have been before. My wife is insistent on coming to watch. I've tried to tell her this isn't a track meet. She says we'll (her and the kids) just hang out at the camper and come watch u finish.

Is this even slightly possibly?
View Quote

This is my first year, but from what I've read elsewhere, yes your family can stay and observe.

Mrs Diggerwolf will be there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Speaking of Mrs Diggerwolf, the other night I was making some adjustments to my gear and she decided to snap a pic.

The obligatory wife pic.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Visitors and observers are allowed out and can stay.  There is some stuff for them to see.  Most of the obstacles are up in the bays and range building, so they can see you doing some the more involved task!.  Most of the distance that you travel is in back country and there will be a lot of the time that they won't see you.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year!

Airone
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Speaking of Mrs Diggerwolf, the other night I was making some adjustments to my gear and she decided to snap a pic.

http://i58.tinypic.com/jk7die.jpg

The obligatory wife pic.

http://i59.tinypic.com/35jicug.jpg

View Quote

nice,, tactical sandals... i like it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Alright fellas we are a week out and i'm ready to get after it. Does anyone know if the range will be open the day before? I've got zero doubts in my rifle but it would be cool to come out and shoot before.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#48]
does anybody think this will stretch into the late hours of the day, like flashlights may be required?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
does anybody think this will stretch into the late hours of the day, like flashlights may be required?
View Quote

I seriously doubt it will go past dark, unless you are going very slow. I would however imagine you will need a flashlight for something tho.

How much water is everyone bringing? I'm carrying 133oz (little over a gallon) and I hope that gets me through the course, really don't feel like drinking pond water.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

In past BODs, flashlights have been required in the middle of the day
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top