Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not recommend Pearland. I would look at League City area. Alvin is ok.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not recommend Pearland. I would look at League City area. Alvin is ok.
View Quote

New Pearland (288) sucks to live there.  Old Pearland (east of there) is fine.

League City = traffic nightmare to go anywhere.

Alvin is nice.  Far enougbh away from Houston to keep a small town feel, but close enough to commute and to go do stuff on the weekends.  And hey, Alvin just got a new movie theater.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked visited a friend in Alvin in November and liked it, we love the small town feel. The population here is only 10,000ish.  I drove through Friendswood but didnt get off the main road.

We are thinking about comeing down sometime next month for a few days to scope out potential areas, just gotta see if I can get the leave.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I liked visited a friend in Alvin in November and liked it, we love the small town feel. The population here is only 10,000ish.  I drove through Friendswood but didnt get off the main road.

We are thinking about comeing down sometime next month for a few days to scope out potential areas, just gotta see if I can get the leave.
View Quote

Friendswood is higher income.  You'll see HOAs and "keeping up with the Jones" behavior.  Nicer houses, obviously, although there are some rental areas that suck.

If you're going to live in Alvin, you might look at a house outside city limits on a few acres.  There's nothing like privacy and space.  Of course, that means well and septic.

eta:  An Alvin to Webster commute is about 20 minutes.  Not bad at all by Houston standards.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Webster area

I have been over to Alvin and Friendswood area and it seemed like a nice area, but so did Pasadena and I was told not to go past Fairmont parkway after dark.
View Quote

I've lived in Houston (Southeast Houston) my entire life and I'll tell you it's a shame that people would tell you not to go past Fairmont after dark. That's just ignorant. If you're working in Webster, I would consider places to live to be: Clear Lake, League City (South Shore Harbor), Pearland, Friendswood.

All depends on your idea of "living". You can scope out ALL those areas in one day, and then visit homes another. They are all nice areas. I don't know why anyone would discourage living in Pearland.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Everyone thanks for the advice and inputs, we have kind of narrowed down our areas and are currently looking for rental homes.

I will be down for a couple weeks to check out some potential areas and look for a home before I separate from the AF.

While we are also down I would like to take my wife out since we have spent our anniversary packing and cleaning.  Is there anything you guys would recommend to do or a place to go visit for a dinner and maybe some entertainment? anything near the beach is a bonus but not a requirement.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 2:29:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

While we are also down I would like to take my wife out since we have spent our anniversary packing and cleaning.  Is there anything you guys would recommend to do or a place to go visit for a dinner and maybe some entertainment? anything near the beach is a bonus but not a requirement.

Thanks!
View Quote

Kemah Boardwalk.

Or, drive down to Galveston. Guido's.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you're in Friendswood again, go on the other side of the freeway (45) and go to Clear Lake.  It's a much nicer neighborhood.  The houses cost a bit more, but it's worth it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, so last weekend we came down and drove all over looking for a rental and settled on a place in clear lake.  So now the craziness begins!! Time to pack and get ready to move!

But now we need some recommendations;

Internet
electric co
veterinarians

I am sure I will think of more later.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]
ATT uverse for internet and cable. Electric depends, you pick one and then that company uses a "carrier companies" wires to deliver the power. I use true electric and locked in fixed rate for a year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I use Bounce Energy for electric.  Cheapest I found, although I will admit i haven't shopped around in like a year.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
What part of Clear Lake?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Nearest major cross roads are Eldorado and El Camino
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have fun with traffic.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have fun with traffic.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun with traffic.

The other home we almost rented in Pearland took us 45 min to get to work at Ellington field. So this was a compromise.

Also anyone recommend a pest control company?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Hope it's not the Andrea Yates house
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I patrol that area on nights so if you would like some safety pointers for the area feel free to ask. Use the Kroger at Space Center and El Dorado instead of the one on El Camino for starters, especially at night. Avoid the Valero on El Dorado across from Jack in the Box too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:33:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The other home we almost rented in Pearland took us 45 min to get to work at Ellington field. So this was a compromise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun with traffic.

I know I'm late here but that's not a bad drive to Ellington,you have the option of HWY 3 or I-45. My dad retired from Ellington years ago, I remember beer vending machines there when I was a kid. He worked in the egress shop.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Contact Tom Bray - "The Bug Man".  281-869-1045

He is a great guy and a gun guy at that. Met him when he sprayed down an area of a gun range with garlic oil to keep ants/pests away (much of the shooting was prone) - it worked - the ants stayed away!

He's got great reviews here.

http://www.homeadvisor.com/rated.TheBugMan.21632560.html
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hope it's not the Andrea Yates house
View Quote

Nope its not, I had to look it up. That is some sad stuff.

I will hit you up closer to when we move in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know I'm late here but that's not a bad drive to Ellington,you have the option of HWY 3 or I-45. My dad retired from Ellington years ago, I remember beer vending machines there when I was a kid. He worked in the egress shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

funny how times have changed, can't even have a beer now while on duty. Egress is one of the best AFSC's in the AF!!

Quoted:
Quoted:

Contact Tom Bray - "The Bug Man".  281-869-1045

He is a great guy and a gun guy at that. Met him when he sprayed down an area of a gun range with garlic oil to keep ants/pests away (much of the shooting was prone) - it worked - the ants stayed away!

He's got great reviews here.

http://www.homeadvisor.com/rated.TheBugMan.21632560.html

I will give him a call, Thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Made it, tired 4 days in a truck will wear you out. But glad to be here!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Welcome!

If I may humbly suggest so, I recommend you find a Kelley's and go there for breakfast.  I think the closest one to you would be League City, but you can check their website.  Order the Grand Slam (it's chicken fried steak) for like $11.  

Come hungry.  I mean it.  And if you can clean your plate, you're officially a Texan.

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#24]
egress81,

Welcome to Texas and welcome to Houston.  It will take you a little time to adjust to the big city but be patient.  We've got lots of variety, things to do, places to go, etc.  Agree with previous post about getting down to the beach at Galveston for some R&R, but would also recommend you take a look further SW down the beach just across the San Luis Pass bridge.   You can drive / camp on the beach there, and you won't be covered up with thousands of tourists.  Just be aware of when the tides come in and stay on the hard packed sand unless you have 4WD.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Welcome, finally.  I'm in the League City area, but the In-laws are in Clear Lake in between Clear Lake City Blvd and Pineloch.  

Riley's Donuts on Clear Lake City Blvd
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I know I'm late, but Nasa Pet Hospital was really good to us for 6 years (http://www.nasapethospital.com/). They're at Bay Area Blvd and Hwy 3.

For pest, we had a great guy who owned and ran his own company. I don't remember his company's name right now - I'll go look for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the warm welcome!

It has been crazy with the movers and unpacking and setting up the house. I think the previous tenet was an arfcommer, found a BCM sticker some brass and expended primers under the work bench, also got his American Rifleman mag in the mail!

I hope to take the fam to the beach sometime this weekend (this humidity is gonna kill me) and check out west of Galveston.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Galveston is  the gulf of yoohoo, I'm in friendswood cops are everywhere. Which is good since I work nights sometimes. If you need any tip of where to go to get fishing  stuff or reloading/ gun range pm me I have  been to a few....get on the waiting list for pearland shooting club.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Wait list for PSC range is closed for now. They have an 1100 person backlog.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Not a good time to enjoy the local beaches as they are covered in about 1 foot of sargasum weed, and it is still pretty thick floating in the surf.  Won't hurt you but it is pretty smelly once it's been on the sand for a while.  Mid June through the rest of the summer it should clear out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top