Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2013 1:27:16 PM EDT
are switchblades legal to carry now? looking for a definitive answer before I purchase a benchmade.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Im not finding anything in the texas penal code that wasnt struck out by the bill.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Im not finding anything in the texas penal code that wasnt struck out by the bill.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Switchblades are legal to own now.  You can carry a switchblade that isn't an "illegal knife":

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.01
View Quote

Which Benchmade are you looking at?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Switchblades are legal to own now.  You can carry a switchblade that isn't an "illegal knife":

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.01

Bowie knife huh? Knife with a blade 5 1/2" huh? I guess this kills the hunting or general use survival knife market in Texas then?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bowie knife huh? Knife with a blade 5 1/2" huh? I guess this kills the hunting or general use survival knife market in Texas then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It does put a bit of a crimp on things.  There is this though:

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(2) is traveling;
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
(e) The provisions of Section 46.02 prohibiting the carrying of an illegal knife do not apply to an individual carrying a bowie knife or a sword used in a historical demonstration or in a ceremony in which the knife or sword is significant to the performance of the ceremony.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.15
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(2) is traveling;
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
(e) The provisions of Section 46.02 prohibiting the carrying of an illegal knife do not apply to an individual carrying a bowie knife or a sword used in a historical demonstration or in a ceremony in which the knife or sword is significant to the performance of the ceremony.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.15

What do you know? Your from fucking Somalia.  Looks like sections (3) and (e) both exempt me from the law as i am always hunting and everyday in Texas is a potential "Remember the Alamo" historical demonstration. I kid of course. I read the "I didnt beat the ride" thread started on here a while back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

are switchblades legal to carry now? looking for a definitive answer before I purchase a benchmade.
View Quote

No longer prohibited weapons. Thats the only thing for-sure.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]
While I wouldn't charge anyone with it, you can still be arrested as there are two offenses that covered switchblades. Only one of those restrictions were removed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
While I wouldn't charge anyone with it, you can still be arrested as there are two offenses that covered switchblades. Only one of those restrictions were removed.
View Quote

What was the other? Genuinely interested as I've only ever seen it listed as a Prohibited Weapon.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What was the other? Genuinely interested as I've only ever seen it listed as a Prohibited Weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag for interest.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the part where any citizen can be arrested because that citizen's ignorance and/or knowledge of changes to the law is no defense to arrest and/or prosecution.  The arrest will no doubt occur because some ignorant dumbass with a badge was not up on current changes to the law so you get arrested.  Sort of like the person that got the ride here in the Texas forum by the state patrol guys for the not illegal for him to carry knife.  

I will add that most persons with a badge are not dumbasses just as all persons without badges are not dumbasses or criminals.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Only other one would possibly be unlawful carrying of weapons at 46.02 of the penal code. It says illegal knife.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not that you asked for a recommendation, but my every day carry knife is a Benchmade 5500 Mini-Auto Presidio. It has a 2.97" inch blade, and is only 4.15" closed. At 3.7oz it pretty much disappears when clipped inside your pocket. The handle is nice and tacky and provides a good gripping surface. The Auto-AXIS mechanism releases the blade in a nice, snappy manner. I'm very happy with this model, and my other Benchmades as well. I found it for around $150.

Link
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, there was one law that made switchblades, solely for being switchblades, unlawful; penal code 46.05 (possession of a prohibited weapons.)

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Actually, there was one law that made switchblades, solely for being switchblades, unlawful; penal code 46.05 (possession of a prohibited weapons.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Classen Buck.... Online legislative updated made reference that switchblades were still illegal under UCW 46.02.

I stand corrected sir, and thank you for correcting me before bad information got passed along.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]

oh hey check out the 50 million page thread tacked at the top with tons of useless information to sort through to find the answer to my question. How could I have missed it? DOPE!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently purchased the 2750 Adamas auto and love it, it has some weight to it but it's bad to the bone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was what I thought as well, but wanted to double check.

For whoever mentioned "illegal knife" as possibly being the other charge. It is not listed as such. Illegal knife has its very own definition and it does not include switchblades.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:14:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For whoever mentioned "illegal knife" as possibly being the other charge. It is not listed as such. Illegal knife has its very own definition and it does not include switchblades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I am sure you already know, switchblades can be illegal knives if they meet the definition of illegal knife.  An example would be a switchblade with a 6 inch blade, or one with a double edged blade.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

oh hey check out the 50 million page thread tacked at the top with tons of useless information to sort through to find the answer to my question. How could I have missed it? DOPE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So useless it was tacked to the top of the forum.  I hate reading too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
As I am sure you already know, switchblades can be illegal knives if they meet the definition of illegal knife.  An example would be a switchblade with a 6 inch blade, or one with a double edged blade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone asked me about this as well and my reply was, it cant be both.

My reasoning is, a switchblade is defined by a knife with a button or similar device for opening etc. An illegal knife is, well an illegal knife.

SO, if you have a CHL, plus your gun, and your switchblade-illegal-knife thing, then its not illegal.  But we know what happened there at the capital building...

This whole thing is really F'ing retarded.  I Told him not to buy one with a blade over 5.5 inches is all.  As my opinion may not be what he encounters.

I really got better things to do and the legislature should get its head out of its stupid asses and quit with the intricate definitions. " ILLEGAL " should be any knife used IN-A-CRIME.  There, done.  :)

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Here is an example of a knife that is both a switchblade and an illegal knife (in my opinion).

1.  It is sold as a stiletto:

http://www.uniqueblade.com/products/Stiletto_9_automatic_knife_Black_Bayonet-610-45.html

2.  It meets the definition of a stiletto:  "a knife or dagger with a long slender blade and needle-like point, primarily intended as a stabbing weapon".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiletto

I would be quite willing to own one of these, but I wouldn't carry it in public.

(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[

My reasoning is, a switchblade is defined by a knife with a button or similar device for opening etc. An illegal knife is, well an illegal knife.

View Quote

The law does not say switchblades are legal. They are just not listed as illegal or prohibited.

If it has a 6 inch blade it is illegal. Nothing else matters. single edge, double edge, fixed, folding, auto does not matter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a serious question....
I thought all switchblades were banned by the Federal government in 1959, and any that were not
made before then (i.e. grandfathered in) were illegal to own. Now I'm most definitely not a knife
aficionado, but I would appreciate an explanation of some kind. If the Federal ban were true, how
could they be legal in Texas?
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a serious question....
I thought all switchblades were banned by the Federal government in 1959, and any that were not
made before then (i.e. grandfathered in) were illegal to own. Now I'm most definitely not a knife
aficionado, but I would appreciate an explanation of some kind. If the Federal ban were true, how
could they be legal in Texas?
Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Except on federal territories, indian country, etc., federal law only bans their import and introduction into interstate commerce, not mere possession intra-state. 15 U.S.C. §§ 1241-1244.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Are butterfly knives legal now too?
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Butterfly knives are no longer prohibited weapons.  Restrictions about illegal knives still apply.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Legal to own?  Yes.

Legal to carry?  See the definition for "illegal knife" posted earlier in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://www.uniqueblade.com/images/products/preview/ub-1150.jpg

Here is an example of a knife that is both a switchblade and an illegal knife (in my opinion).

http://www.uniqueblade.com/products/Stiletto_9_automatic_knife_Black_Bayonet-610-45.html

2.  It meets the definition of a stiletto:  "a knife or dagger with a long slender blade and needle-like point, primarily intended as a stabbing weapon".

I would be quite willing to own one of these, but I wouldn't carry it in public.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

I had one of these when I was in high school.  

I traded it for an automatic made out of a case knife.  the case knife held a razor's edge.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Check out the Benchmade Mini Presidio.

I like mine alot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or

(F) spear.

But legal if you had your CHL + GUN under inapplicability section.  Which is retarded.  It should just be legal unless used in a crime, or maybe as an enhancement during punishment phase if its over a certain length if they want to inject some stupid into the law system.

But what do I know :)

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The law does not say switchblades are legal. They are just not listed as illegal or prohibited.

If it has a 6 inch blade it is illegal. Nothing else matters. single edge, double edge, fixed, folding, auto does not matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

[

Of course.  If its not listed in the law books as 'illegal', then its 'legal'.  The law does not have to say something is ' legal '.  Laws must say something is 'illegal' for there to be an offense committed.

Example, Tasers.  They are legal.  Period.  Until a law is made to regulate that otherwise, they are 'legal'.  

Then, even still, as an " illegal knife " its not, if you have a CHL + handgungun in public.  But an Illegal knife is not 'illegal' if you have it at home. It makes no sense at all to differentiate and only confuses an otherwise simple definition.  A knife is ANY bladed instrument to cut/stab or so on...

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#36]

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;
View All Quotes

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;

Quoted:
But legal if you had your CHL + GUN under inapplicability section

If this interpretation were correct, you could drop a DL, a CHL and a NAA mini-revolver into your pocket and:
1) Open carry a handgun (e.g., Glock 20)
2) Open carry an illegal knife (e.g., a sword)
3) Open carry a club (e.g., a nightstick)

I don't believe this was the legislature's intent when they passed the Concealed Handgun Law.

ETA:  Struck out line about open carrying a handgun after being reminded of 46.035.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If this interpretation were correct, you could drop a DL, a CHL and a NAA mini-revolver into your pocket and:

I don't believe this was the legislature's intent when they passed the Concealed Handgun Law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong, a CHL holder cannot openly carry a pistol.....But I agree with you that wasn't their intent either about open carrying illegal knives....
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wrong, a CHL holder cannot openly carry a pistol.....But I agree with you that wasn't their intent either about open carrying illegal knives....
View Quote

Having re-read section 46.035, I agree with you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you explain if this wasn't their intent then why wasn't the law changed 15+ years ago?
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Some people are arguing that section 46.02 does not apply (at all) to a person who is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license.  If that interpretation is correct, he/she can open carry a handgun, a sword and a nightstick.  I'm not buying that interpretation though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people are arguing that section 46.02 does not apply (at all) to a person who is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license.  If that interpretation is correct, he/she can open carry a handgun, a sword and a nightstick.  I'm not buying that interpretation though.

wrong.. A different chapter covers this.

If a concealed handgun licensee is caught carrying a handgun in plain view or if his/her handgun is visible then he/she is subject to criminal charges. Specifically, he/she would be subject to prosecution for the Class A misdemeanor, Unlawfully Carrying of a Concealed Weapon by a License Holder, Sect. 46.035(a), Penal Code. (Straight from DPS website)

Sec. 46.035.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.  (a)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Can you explain if this wasn't their intent then why wasn't the law changed 15+ years ago?
View Quote

Nope. Just my opinion, and I have been wrong before.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If a concealed handgun licensee is caught carrying a handgun in plain view or if his/her handgun is visible then he/she is subject to criminal charges. Specifically, he/she would be subject to prosecution for the Class A misdemeanor, Unlawfully Carrying of a Concealed Weapon by a License Holder, Sect. 46.035(a), Penal Code. (Straight from DPS website)

Sec. 46.035.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.  (a)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun
View Quote

I edited my original post after re-reading section 46.035.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries, like I said above. I've been wrong before, and have had my fair share of humble pie.  Damn you Txinvestigator!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I suspect the legislature has no idea people think this language applies to anything other than concealed handguns.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, one could argue the law allows for carrying one handgun concealed and an arbitrary number of handguns open, because the ones carried open aren't being carried under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually, one could argue the law allows for carrying one handgun concealed and an arbitrary number of handguns open, because the ones carried open aren't being carried under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone should choose to argue this and apply it, I would hope they have a VERY good attorney on retainer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is no longer 46.035(a). As of this Sept 1 it reads that it is an offense to intentionally display the handgun in a public place in plain view of another.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

that is no longer 46.035(a). As of this Sept 1 it reads that it is an offense to intentionally display the handgun in a public place in plain view of another.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same thing to a degree. My understanding law was change to PROTECT a CHL who was say at a grocery store and bent down to pick up a item on bottom shelf and shirt raised up and exposed an otherwise unnoticeable holster.  

Still very illegal to open carry. (Not my opinion, but the opinion of the state of Texas)
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Same thing to a degree. My understanding law was change to PROTECT a CHL who was say at a grocery store and bent down to pick up a item on bottom shelf and shirt raised up and exposed an otherwise unnoticeable holster.  

Still very illegal to open carry. (Not my opinion, but the opinion of the state of Texas)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Despite what has recently happened otherwise you can legally open carry a cap and ball revolver.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your example was not illegal under the old law.  The changes are significant.  

Under old law, if I was at your backyard I could not open carry.  Now, I can since your backyard is not a public place.  

You are correct in that the changes protect the CHL holder.  "Fail to conceal"  takes less to prove than "display".  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top